Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Having just binged my way through the entire archives I can only say that I will never get enough of Smitty bumbling around solving problems through dumb luck and blind intuition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

It's okay: he got a parent's approval :v:.

Edit: thinking about it, that's almost DEFINITELY why he's being such a lovely dad, saving his daughter's life is obviously too IMPORTANT to waste any time actually parenting. Surely he can just make up all that lost parenting time later :v:?

Call me pessimistic but I'm expecting even worse from Tony. My gut suspicion is that, with his weird autistic hang up over being in love for real or not, that Annies well being isn't really a concern for him and that this is all about Surma and quite possibly bringing Surma back at the cost of Annies life. Reversing the process if you will.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 30, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Robot is a little unsettling at times, not because he's dangerous per se, but because true unshakeable capital F Faith like he has is rare and always a little bit unnerving.

I doubt his faith will ever be a problem personally.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

There's no evidence either way, so who cares. It's just as plausible that she is feeling jealousy and is struggling with her own feelings for Kat as opposed to just pining over lost friendship or something, and considerably less likely than the Pizza Theory (that she ordered a pizza and is waiting at the door for it to be delivered).

All of those things are completely baseless speculation as you say. Which is why I think most people are sticking to more grouded theories, like hanging out near the decon room meaning worrying about losing a friend.

It's in line with the conversation they had back in the day and isn't too out there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A divide between them might be healthy, in the long run. Annie is rather socially isolated. Taking away her lifeline even temporarily will force her to either evolve or die, socially speaking.

Edit: I'm reminded of this page in particular.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 5, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

In short Annie inherited a vastly milder form of her fathers total social incompetence and is in the process of working it out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Pretty sure that's not a dude.

The name is also decidedly feminine.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Well Annie, you can speed up the process like ripping off a bandage and tell Kat about her homework and stuff while we're here :twisted:

Pretty sure Kat has always known about the homework thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

dyzzy posted:

That seems... unlikely. Or at least, her not doing anything about it would be pretty out of character in my opinion.

I could have sworn there was dialogue somewhere wherein Kat directly acknowledges the homework copying. Digging through the entire archives to find it is a bit beyond me though.

Regardless, it seems unlikely that such extensive copying would take place without her knowledge given how long they spent not sharing a room.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

feetnotes posted:

Pretty sure Kat doesn't know. At least not the extent of it.

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=798

You're right, the implication of this scene is pretty clear. I wasn't paying as much attention when I came to it, clearly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pretty sure karate gi is self identifying in the context.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

dyzzy posted:

"Brinnie" Confirmed by Tom to be a figure from myth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brynhildr

I really should have picked up on that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I like Reynardine a lot when he's a big wise doggie and kind of can't stand him when he's a horny toy.

You can't really have one without the other. Reynards wisdom is from the school of loving up. He's learned a lot the hard way but at the end of the day the dude is a scoundrel and a horn dog, and I say that with fondness.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Razorwired posted:

It's more like thinking Pixar would be making way stronger films if they weren't jamming ninja horses and mentally disabled snowmen into every story.

I think you might be thinking of Dreamworks not Pixar.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

and expanding that I liked Renard's perverted stuffed animal form much less than his wolf form - luckily, Tom seems to agree and only brings him out very rarely.

Or perhaps there is a more rational, less insane reason for this. Perhaps...Tom brings out the perverted stuffed animal form when it is in character for Renard and serves the purposes of the story/scene, instead of just occasionally because he dislikes his own character????

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Razorwired posted:

If his Ether being theory is correct then everyone in the Court believing "Coyote can't harm the Court" is probably enough to keep him away. It's a paradoxical relationship. Coyote has a whole bunch of people believing in him. This makes him a god but that belief includes a clause that keeps him from ruling over them. So he becomes a being of immense power that has to use long games and intermediaries to gently caress with people.

I'm not sure I buy this interpretation for several reasons:

A) I doubt 100% of the Court genuinely believes that. Quite a few are likely quite intimidated by Coyote. The more arrogant higher ups, sure, but "everyone"? Ehhh.

B) I don't think the Court comprises a sufficiently large subset of the collective unconscious to affect Coyote in such a way even if they all 100% uniformly believed that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wyld Karde posted:

Robot, you are being needlessly religious again. Stop it.

Is attempting to find meaning in existence ever truly needless? :v:

Like I've said before, I don't think Robot is creepy because he's dangerous or malevolent in any way, just that most of us aren't really familiar with dealing with raw unshakeable conviction like he has.

It still may end up being to the cast's detriment in the end but I'm willing to go on record saying it won't.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

red plastic cup posted:

So, this update, along with previous robo-cult info, leads me to believe that Kat, or some spiritual representation of Kat, will be made to serve as the psychopomp of robot death, which is what Zimmy saw. Did anyone else come to a similar conclusion, or am I just seeing things that aren't there?

I did not think of that at all, but it's an interesting angle to take. If enough robots become truly alive and able to interact with the ether, and simultaneously are believers in Robots doctrine, is their belief sufficient to begin to mold Kat to match what is expected of her?

Will she become an Angel of Life and Death whether she likes it or not? Play host to one? Create one? I could see some variant of that happening.

Maybe what Zimmy saw is the embryonic manifestation of just such a thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Kat is the creator, remember. Paz is the bringer of true peace: a proper death.

Kat is both. Remember that Robot made a big deal out of her ability to activate as well as deactivate the Old Machines.

Paz is basically irrelevant as far as Robot and the robots are concerned, for now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

I don't know, Human religions are full of people who are only important because they hung around the godlike big players, but are still considered super important because of that. Paz could easily become St Paz or Paz the Disciple.

Actually there's a question. What do the Robots think of Annie? Is she important or just "and Annie was there too"?

On the other hand, the robots are demonstrably exceedingly different from humans in how they view many things. See their lack of giving a poo poo about the lack of reward they receive for their efforts, for example. There's also the fact that, despite Annie being there with Kat pretty much all the time, the robots have remarked on her exactly not at all and don't seem to care about her at all.

Anyhow, there's a reason why I include "for now". There basically isn't much use in speculating on how they see Paz because we don't even have so much as something that can be construed as evidence if you squint. We have nothing. Wait and see :v:

ionicism posted:

Especially important given that the robots seem to be trying to become more human - the Prophet having a human mother could be a pretty big deal.

I'm not sure "trying to become more human" is accurate. Trying to become more truly alive seems to be the idea, and that is an important difference.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 26, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I don't think this is Coyotes doing. Remember that the other robots implied that Robot being a religious preacher is what got him deactivated and put in storage where Annie found him in the first place.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's going to be interesting when Kat, for the first time, truly understands the gravity of what she's doing and how it's not merely a hobby anymore.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This scene reminds me of Coyotes rambling a lot I think. See how they assign, infer meaning to the meaningless and find purpose in it. In exhibiting what Coyote calls the disease of the human mind I think we are seeing the beginning of their interaction with the Ether.

Which led me to a thought. We have always taken for granted Robots first reaction to seeing Kat, calling her an angel. We're meant to take it as a cute innocent way of calling her pretty but he has never reacted that way to another girl. And what's more he said it before knowing what she is capable of.

What if that remark wasn't innocent? What if Robot has always been able to see Kat as Zimmy does? Whether by strength of his convictions or some manipulation of Coyote I'm increasingly convinced that is the case.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Brightman posted:

I get the feeling that this will happen either a bit before or after the initial goal of giving Robot a better body comes to fruition. Like he'll say something really creepy prior to the transfer, or he'll start doing really creepy things after he has a genuine living body. That's probably a long ways off though.

Maybe except we see that from his point-of-view: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=221

Could still involve some Coyote shenanigans though.

Side-note: That page's "joke" is actually basically the robots creed: "It's good to be useful."

Already considered that. That panel is explicitly depicted through electronic optical sensors. The Ether is essentially extrasensory. If he can perceive her as Zimmy does it would have little to do with what his eyes show.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Another angle that I don't think has been really touched on: How is the Court itself going to react when the Great Leap Forward begins? The Court strikes me as reactionary and interested in control above all else, and I for one fully expect them to take steps that incite robo-rage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Opinion Haver posted:

It also wasn't even a full robot; it's like giving a funeral to a cloned organ because it died before it could be implanted.

Except it isn't. However rudimentary, it is a step towards, and symbolic of, their transcendence as a species. It's more akin to beimg able to see the for reals Promised Land in the distance.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rumda posted:

Yeah but people are saying that just because the skull imagery looks slightly Mexican that means the massive Latin American population of the court is going to come out of the woodwork. Newsflash not every country has the same racial mix as the us

No one is saying this. Somebody suggests a Latin American student might play a part (read: Paz), and some expectations of possibly Native/South American psychopomps showing up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rumda posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying Paz is a galago from SPAIN she isn't Latin American or Hispanic

I didn't say it was right, people do indeed forget Spain exists a lot :v:. I'm saying that acting like there's some upsurge of WE DEMAND LATIN AMERICAN CULTURAL TOLERANCE HOUR is exaggerated and well

Not a thing that's happening. Chillax.

Personally I am expecting some Native American flavored psychopomps and nothing more.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fangz posted:

The Court is interested in mankind attaining godhood. Why should the Court oppose it? Kat is making some of the biggest steps in attaining the Court's overall objective in generations, and giving promising talents the resources and the opportunity to develop them is the whole reason for the children to be there. The Court might step in if things go too far, but having a second, more reasonable Diego on the roster, as the child of Court staff, is awesome for them. The Court is more likely to err on the side of not intervening than the opposite.

I'm unclear on why you think Kats work furthers the goals of the Court in any way. I am inclindd to suspect bio organic robots have absolutely nothing to do with their seemingly more ether conttolling approach. By all appearances they want the ether to obey them utterly and completely.

Robot transcendence is a potentially uncontrollable variable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fangz posted:

Computerised etheric control is already a solved problem - consider the success of Kat's parents. Diego in his heyday perfected his 'arrow' which obtained minute control over etherics sufficient to create the Jeanne entity. Even if we suppose that in its broad goal to attain godhood, the court is bound up entirely in the etherics approach (unlikely), history suggests that recovering the work of Diego and the whole project of artificial life has a lot more to do with the ether than what one might suppose.

The ability to create life from scratch is itself part of God's portfolio. And if Coyote is right that he and others are created by the belief of humans, what happens if Kat discovers how to create a large number of sufficiently human like beings, potentially with access to etherics, with the ability to believe?

Kat has been afforded vast privileges, including access to the Diego material, and no one is doing so much as a health and safety assessment on what she is doing. These are not provided by accident.

What evidence is there that the court is conservative and controlling? That seems to be more consistent of the wood, than anything else. The court is extremely hands off - students can routinely access off limits areas, operate vast godlike beings, plunge parts of the court into a parallel dimension, all without any lasting repercussions. Mysterious undead beings and non-three laws safe robots are allowed to roam the grounds next to young children. Unsafe materials are stored labelled but unlocked. Recall Rey's summation of the court - these people are pretty drat tolerant.

You will also recall that the Court's stance on Kat's parents technology is less than enthusiastic. As for Diego, that was a long time ago. I have no idea what, if any, degree of his knowledge and techniques remain amongst the current day upper echelons of the Court. So his abilities and knowledge may well be wholly irrelevant to the picture

Kat has been afforded vast privileges in so far as she has been ignored. Deliberately or out of sheer ignorance is hard to say at the moment.

As for conservative and controlling, I'd say the way they ended up choosing their medium plainly suggested they wanted the most malleable and (they thought) manipulable student. Annie was a wild card, and that was unnacceptable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Smitty isn't going to opt out if Parley doesn't and Parley is too invested in this to back out

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

Nah, I'm with you. It's like, Parley can teleport, but what she does with that is entirely up to her. It's just one more tool for Parley the character to use, her ideas for what to do with it are all her own. If Kat's ideabox is actually just the ether shoving superscience in then how much of what Kat does is Kat, and how much is just her being a conduit?

I dunno man but when she can intuitively read robo-source code that is etheric in origin and can't actually be expressed in human writing, I think it's fair to say there's probably some etheric ability going on.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Heavy Zed posted:

The robot Kat revived thought being turned off was more like death than like sleep. Interestingly, while Robot is now implicitly claiming that wasn't a "true" death, he made no such distinction at the time.

Probably because the Old Machine had to be granted death and was incapable of expiring naturally.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Like many things im religion I feel like the symbolism and message are more important than what is actually happening in most literal terms.

You more or less are on the same track as I am in any case Zed. The Old Machines don't live in any comparable sense. They have no needs. They have no natural processes that can lead to their expiration without the intervention of outside forces.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I know these pages will read just fine as one go, but I have to say I'm getting a bit bored of them as a update-by-update reader.

Same. We've long since reached "okay we get it" territory and now I'm just left praying wednesday will move things along to something interesting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Iceclaw posted:

Looking back, that tend to be a recurring flaw in Siddel's writing. The "Jones is really really really really old" chapter springs to mind.

I cannot imagine reading that chapter serially. It was drawn out to an unreasonable degree as an archival reader.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

How can something less than 20 pages long out of over 1300 possibly be "drawn out to an unreasonable degree"?

The content, naturally.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Don't you think telling Jones' life story in a largely silent and drawn out way adds something to that particular chapter?

Up to a point yes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

fatherdog posted:

I find this complaint hilarious from someone with a Homestuck avatar.

That's completely different, Gunnerkrigg Court is actually going somewhere with this and I could never in good faith claim the same of Homestuck :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rumda posted:

In that case why the gently caress are you complaining.

The joke is that I have actual expectations of Gunnerkrigg since it's not just meandering about, thus I actually bother to criticize how it's delivered.