Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I just burned through the entire archives last night and this morning. WHY DID I HAVE TO CATCH UP!? :gonk: Just a question, how many years have passed since the beginning of the strip and now? I have trouble keeping track of the characters' ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

McGravin posted:

The question has been raised several times before and answered with evasive non-answers every time. None of those were immediate set-ups for such a story.

As I said, if you want to call the issue forward in your audience's mind, simply have one character pose the question idly or rhetorically, or else ask someone who genuinely does not know. To ask someone who knows and not get an answer to the question is very frustrating, at least to me.

I agree. I find it hard to believe that the robot could not answer a few questions before dying again. I mean, his place was Diego's tribute, but that doesn't mean he's on the clock or anything. It's not the worst storytelling, but it certainly is flimsy.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Bad Seafood posted:

So I decided to pick this up last Friday, thinking I'd just check out a few pages, but it turned out I accidentally read the entire archive.

Short weekend.

I felt this recent chapter was effective, though the last several hundred pages still fresh in my mind, it's probably because I remembered this page when reading Monday's. That's a pretty unsettling echo, there.

Oh poo poo. Very interesting parallel. Thanks for sharing that.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
How am I not surprised that the internet is talking about the chests of 14 year-old fictional schoolgirls. Honestly, that's the only thing that keeps me from telling people about this comic sometimes. Because when you tell people you read a comic about adolescent schoolgirls, you get weird looks.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I love how each of these ends with a tiny little cliffhanger. It's compelling without being cheap.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Nipponophile posted:

They seem to have closets for everything. That was established way back.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=7

Gee thanks for linking this. rear end. Now I'm re-reading the whole comic.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

BexGu posted:

See, I look at this, then go back to the Dominic Deegan thread, and start to hate Mookie that much more.

Look at the art improvement over time!

You and I both know there are WAY more reasons to hate DD than mere artwork.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
Poor Paz! :ohdear:

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Zorak posted:

If this is another reference to the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter I am going to be cross.

Just because I am really, really getting tired of the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.

Still, it'll probably move fairly fast so hey.

I've got some news for you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

ChibiSoma posted:

*Crazytime*

You are the worst kind of GKC fan. Of all time. You scare me.

On the current arc: I don't think it's really dragging on as much as we might think. If we were to read it start to finish right now, I think it would flow just fine. But we've got to be patient. Character development takes time, and Tom is better at it then most, so let's just enjoy the ride shall we?