Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Now, as a Marine Bio major with many aspirations toward all things oceanic, I must say living in a retrofitted deepwater oil rig and watched over by a giant crab monster would be some kind of heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Magnus Condomus posted:

So I found Volume two at my local creepy comic book store. I was accosted by people playing Warhammer, but it was worth it.

Where is your comic book store? Because this exact thing happened when I got Volume one way back when.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Oh, mine's in Los Angeles. I guess insecure manchildren giving other people poo poo for liking a comic with early teenaged girls on the front cover is universal.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Back onto the subject of the comic, Annie's new hairstyle, thoughts?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

DarkCrawler posted:

Hey, I just found this comic and read it from the beginning to end in one sitting!

Nobody told me that webcomics can be awesome...

Sadly this is a relatively new discovery and the news has not had time to reach the masses.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
As a marine bio student and avid diver I have to wonder why Annie is so grossed out. Oceanic crustaceans making out is one of the most beautiful, natural sights in the world.

Ok I couldn't even type that without bursting into laughter, I know exactly why she's making that face, as I have made it

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I got into it around here because some comics review blog that I think is defunct now posted an analysis of it as an example of good art.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

1stGear posted:

I find it kind of terrible/hilarious that ChibiSoma was the first thing I thought of after I read this page.

I'm not sure if I hate that he ruined my ability to like the comic at face value, or enjoy the fact that there's now another layer to appreciate Gunnerkrigg's brilliance.

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 12, 2011

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I love that everyone in Foley house's first reaction to Annie going to the Ethereal realm is to crowd around and grab her from every angle.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

idonotlikepeas posted:

I am definitely claiming this one, whether I pay for it or the mysterious avatar fairy gets it for me will depend on what happens between now and monday.

As for today's actual comic, yay fish man, I think he looks nice.

EDIT: Wow that was fast. Thank you. I also like the text.

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 13, 2012

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Zenzirouj posted:

I have no idea how to do this kind of thing so it's huge and choppy but I couldn't stop imagining it. It was funnier in my head.

Well I think it's nice.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tollymain posted:

Is it just me or is there a sleeping face between the mandibles?

It looks like there is. Giant worms are all fun and games until they eat someone.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

PlotDevice posted:

Goddamn, I just read the entire thing in a day. It was awesome but now I have to wait for updates like the rest of you chumps. :mad:

Welcome to the wonder that is Gunnerkrigg new person known as PlotDevice

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Also if you follow the King of The Hill thread in TVIV the mod that hangs out there will give you a creepy ventriloquist dummy avatar upon request.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

pandaK posted:

What kind of creepy ventriloquist dummy?

One in an American football uniform jacket with a buzzcut and a somewhat haunting smile

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Filthy Haiku posted:

His name is Chip Block. :colbert:

Yeah I know, wasn't sure if anyone else would get it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Alteisen posted:

Having recently gotten in Gunnerkrieg thanks to a friend accidentally sending me Volume 1, well I started reading the current arc, I can wrap my head around the current arc and antimony's transfer but I feel I'm missing something, should I read the rest? Or just keep going?

Hilariously, I was the guy who accidentally sent it to this poster. It was supposed to go to my sister and a horrible plague was ravaging the logic part of my brain.

Anyway I recommend reading the rest as it is awesome.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So the incentive for them to go to school is to earn a name. Awesome.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And then Annie just says "Your name is blue" and they love each other again.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lord of Laughton posted:

What is that object above Jones' head in the fourth panel? I remember seeing symbols/objects like that before, like when Annie was on her way to meet the forest people with Ysengrin before she stayed there the summer. Probably in some other instances too.

I figured it was just this thing: http://youtu.be/KNJ1B_2b17s

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Annie trying to be as uncaring and stoic as she was in earlier chapters is just all kinds of sad.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
This is excellent news. I bought 2 shirts to commemorate it.

Meanwhile, in the comic. Tom, if you made a wallpaper of panel 1 and charged like 2 USD for the ability to download it, I would totally pay those 2 dollars, because it is an adorable image :3:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Annie's gigantic sad eyes in the last panel :smith:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

MikeJF posted:

In repayment, I guess I'll go evangelise Gunnerkrigg some more.

If there's anything I've learned ever since the Avatar fairy gave me mine, it's that you're evangelizing every time you post with that avatar in your profile. Though talking about it directly also helps.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
From now on every time I bake something it will be referred to as Plan Theta

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Bussamove posted:

Coyote having a master plan implies Coyote does anything for a reason other than whimsy or boredom, and that's just a world I don't want to live in. :colbert:

I've always figured that if Coyote even thinks more than an hour ahead the plan he is concocting was set in motion so long ago and will continue for so far into the future that even his fellow forest gods cannot comprehend it, and the goal of all this seemingly endless scheming will be to create the ideal conditions on earth for Salmon to turn green instead of pink or something for no other reason than his own amusement.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Somehow I'm not surprised at all that Tom is a Deadly Premonition fan, yet at the same time I did not see this coming at all. A nice surprise.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Human civilization has peaked, nothing else will ever be as awesome as this.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Heliotrope posted:

Anyway, I went looking through some fanart

The "Elgamore" sign brings this into perfection.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Crowetron posted:

I want a poster of that so bad you guys

I want to commission a painter to turn the entire right side of my house into a mural of that. Cars will stop dead to see the magnificent form of robotangel-Kat, people will wonder how crazy I am, some will think I am a beacon for Armageddon, and my neighborhood will have a record setting insomnia rate. It will all be worth it for the few people who ask me what it's about and I get them reading Gunnerkrigg.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Spikey posted:

No. Jump Good.

You are the greatest human being ever for making a Samurai Jack reference

As for content, I wonder if Ysengrin will cool off in any way after this or if he's gone completely kill hungry

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Onean posted:

There's this comic I've been thinking of over the past week or two of thread discussion, but I can't remember where it's from or I'd link it. Maybe someone else can.

It's about one person coming up to a kid reading about dinosaurs and essentially going ":smug: HEH, must suck having to read about feather-dinos. When I was a kid we had awesome-dinos." The kid then says something about feather-dinos being awesome.

http://xkcd.com/1104/

That what you're talking about?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

dyzzy posted:

Longtime reader, just found this thread. You guys will be happy to know that a certain someone approves:

I would have thought he'd complain that it still doesn't count for reasons that require several paragraphs to explain. He still came across as incredibly self absorbed and condescending so it's good to know he learned nothing

None of that really matters though because :3::3::3:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Fried Chicken posted:

Personally I always read this one http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=488 as that. There are plenty of other powerful animal beings, but he singles out the two of them for being special.

I don't doubt that Coyote is the most powerful, but I always read that as the other two at least being in the same ballpark.

Every time I'm reminded that Coyote had to move to get to The Court I wonder if there used to be an American equivalent with Wendigos and Kachinas hanging out together that was overtaken by Europeans

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I kind of want this. Any suggestions on text. I'm thinking "Set your enemies on fire."

Since Ysengrin is in it I would suggest "Support your Tank" instead

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

idonotlikepeas posted:

The Waste Land

:golfclap:

Wish I had more to say but that's all I got.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Man that reminds me it's been two and a half years and I haven't realized my goal of getting a giant MachineGod-Kat mural made. Gotta up my game.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mraagvpeine posted:

I remember when I took a trip to Iceland I ate a dish that had "seabird". Don't know if it was a seagull though.

Might have been puffin, though a lot of Icelandic cuisine is "seabird" involving everything you can imagine.

My seagull story:

So I was hiking near some beachside cliffs once when I happened upon a nest with a baby seagull in it. I approached the nest and stopped at a distance that I believed was close enough to get a picture but far enough to not appear threatening which was 20 feet or so. The parents however, felt that was more than close enough and dive bombed my face, got a slight beak-graze at the top of my forehead. So I guess I was a dick to seagulls and got punished for it unlike everyone else.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dammerung posted:

I just find it strange that Annie's cheating is now becoming an issue. What exactly has changed within the echelons of the Court? Is it a delayed reaction to her becoming the Forest medium, or is it entirely related to Tony deciding to come back? And while he's not emotionally dead, he's definitely not expressing them in a healthy manner.

I'm betting on brinkmanship. The Court wants to see how the Forest reacts to this, and they might use it as a pretext for gaining some leverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Yeah it's mentioned several times in passing that Anja Donlan is Romani but I'm not sure if the specific region was brought up before.