Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Slime posted:

Wandering Eye is a nickname she got because she likes to ogle dudes. Lots of dudes.

My favorite explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gotta be Parley or Antimony's name would have just come up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I want to see Jones taking down a mammoth with a rock and her teeth.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm afraid this has gotten to the point where I'm not really sold on how this concept is being communicated.

Nice looking bison, though.

VVV That phrase dramatically predated Newton.

Pick fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 29, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dangerously precious :3:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is a Good Twist.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So we see the critter. Don't know if it's really scarier than Coyote and his ilk, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's a little bizarre to immediately assume someone who has long been on your side has suddenly done a complete 180 without even taking literally seconds to identify context, especially on a site like Twitter where people often aren't able to retain the context for all of their output due to the format.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For anyone's workplace that bans Tumblr,

quote:

This weekend I did a stupid and terrible thing. For a full explanation, all you have to do is search for “gunnerkrigg” right here on Tumblr to see that I essentially threw away 8 years or so of work by being an idiot on Twitter. It’s better to leave the description of events to external sources, with all the hyperbole necessary to illustrate what an rear end I was, because I can offer no excuse for what I did or try to reason my way out of it. Of course I cannot link to them as that was part of the problem. All I can do is apologise, which I did.

I accept that an apology is sometimes not enough, and I will not be forgiven for my mistake by a lot of people. The people I hurt have not been offered forgiveness or understanding in this world, so I should not be treated differently. Their life experiences have forced them to identify and remove anything that hurts them and, while it was certainly not my intention, I did hurt them. Life is too short, and yet so vast that nobody should tolerate that which causes them pain. My actions have caused me to be removed from those people’s lives, and that can never be undone.

That said, yesterday was pretty low for me. I felt I had two choices; continue with my life, or loving kill myself. As someone who was recently diagnosed with severe depression, the latter was an uncomfortably closer option than it has been since I decided to seek help. However, while it might disappoint some people, I decided that a broken neck would make it difficult to work on my comic and this morning I realised I still have work to do.

As my job and livelihood relies solely on my readers, the very real scenario now is that I might not be able to continue this line of work for as long as I’d have liked. But until I am unable to ensure it, the comic will update as normal.

Poor Tom. I'd hate to lose Gunnerkrigg Court over this. I've been harsh about the pacing recently and some other things, but I really do think it's one of the all-star webcomics around.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a bit of a double-standard where if someone makes a poor joke you're allowed to tell them to kill themselves. It's not everyone deserves exactly the same level of sensitivity but I have a hard time reading through the Tumblr comments and not thinking that this is an unfair scenario.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you look through the Gunnerkrigg tag on Tumblr, people absolutely were.

My concern is that this entire scenario doesn't seem oriented on what I would consider the best outcome (once a mistake is already made)--Tom realizing his mistake, acknowledging it, and having people be glad that there is now a better understanding. What is he supposed to do now?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am a little sensitive to the issue having known a few suicides in my time but frankly, I would love for everyone to stop telling anyone to kill themselves or die, even if it is now in the colloquial form of "die [adjective] scum".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cleaning up house, character-wise, I think is important at this point and he's a logical choice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Your avatar just reminds me, what was the payoff to Hettie? I actually don't really remember that chapter. Isn't it that if you break your contract you die?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think that's truer of Kat than it is of Annie, since Annie has a few "moments" that are clearly not her finest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ah, looks like some people have keen guesses.