Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

WeaponBoy posted:

Does Annie even remember that she has it? I had forgotten that it was from her encounter with Jeanne down in the ravine until one of those god damned 'oh hey, I missed dinner because of Gunnerkrigg archives', but when Coyote commented on it Annie seemed confused as to what he was talking about.
I recently read that part of the story, and she thought it was Coyote playing a trick on her. To be fair, he did appear to make it glow.

And Annie does not understand really what Jones is. Jones Ysengrin attempted to explain it. So it is probably something that is a bit complicated to explain. Or, in the very least, Annie needs to learn a few more things before she understands Jones' explanation.
Edit: Reread the relevant part and fixed what I misremembered

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I think it's more of a Blue thinks that Red (and no once else) will no longer want to be her friend, due to Carver having the hair that goes up the most. Faeries are fickle beings.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
You know, I just thought of something. You know the Bismuth Seed that created the court? Maybe it's closely linked with the Tic-tocs? After all, a planted Tic-toc seems to create some sort of similar thing. Maybe the Bismuth Seed is a Tic-toc egg?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Something like this?
I think Esme meant an animation that goes up on the same page, showing ghost Jeanne with her sword in the heart, rather than showing the golem-robot heart.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Well, since the sworded heart image looks like an amulet cropped like that, perhaps something like "My heart, for you to wear."?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Fargo Fukes posted:

I think it's establishing that everyone in this classroom is a whacked-out fairy crazy person, teacher included. There's no-one in charge.
Pretty sure that even though the teacher is a fairy, they've already gone through all their classes. She just decided to stay and teach. It's just she doesn't seem to particularly care what they do in the etheral realm.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I wonder if it turns out that Blue's ether self is dead. Though it's probably going to turn out that it isn't a Gol-Shogeg.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I'm guessing that Red is going to say "What? You don't know my name?". Which causes Annie to say "You don't even know her (blue's) name!"

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Phew!

Gunnerkrigg really is one of the best comics ever, it's the little things, like Red's face in those two panels. Identical but two separate drawings, there's no lazing around in this comic.
Could someone enlighten me as to what the argh app thing actually does? Just display 'argh'? I feel like I'm missing something here.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I think it might just be the faeries are still following Annie around in the ether, trying to get a name. They 'disappear' after she leaves the classroom, after all.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Is it going to be that Jones is undead? Possibly stuffed with robotics?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Which makes it all the more odd, unless he was being metaphoric about the sun and moon being his eyes. He took and hid the moon, his own eye, so that he could get the other animals to have him take its place. So that he could watch them.

Although that story could have been before his eyes became the sun and moon.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I wonder if the reason Annie is acting so odd is due to some kind of spell that her dad said over the phone. Probably some sort of 'You now think it is fine that I didn't contact you for so long.'

Or it might not even be Annie's Dad. :tinfoil:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I wonder if only Kat heard the 'credentials verified' from the verification bat. It would explain why there was the 'needless explanation'.

Also, is it just me or is Kat's shirt changing colors? It was green before they enter the 'library', then it turns grey, then back to green. Just constant changing from grey and various shades of green.

I mean, I'd understand if it was lighting changes, but Annie's colors? They stay the same, even if Kat's shirt changes. Plus it doesn't seem to change other colors.

It's kind of glaring at me between 1308 and Friday's/the current one. It's the same room, and presumably no lighting changes?

I'm going to guess it's something intentional and possibly represents something happening in ROTD?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Sniper Party posted:

Why not paste the whole classical poem, then, instead of a modern thing that's not even a working story and a riddle. :colbert:
Wait, that's a riddle? As in there's an 'answer' to it?

I assume that the answer would have to do something with Chinese culture, then?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Boxbot will try to fill the gap by stealing a sheet to wear.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I kind of realized something; Winsbury sent a reply that made a sailor robot 'blush'. More or less.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Panel 5 Paz would probably make a good avatar. But the only text to go with it that I can come up with is some variation of "This is a nice boat."

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Thanks Internet posted:

Yup, in Dobranoc, Gamma we see that rain is soothing to Zimmy for some reason. Then, in Power Station we find out the the court is doing something with rain, but for whatever reason it doesn't work on Zimmy. Finally, in Spring Heeled, Part 2 we learn that it's the ether in that rain that's soothing and that the court is now able to replicate the effect.
I don't think they're able to replicate the effect, since they had to release the ether back into the air.

What they were able to replicate seems to be what Zimmy does, absorb the ether out of the air/rain.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Nonsense. Somehow it will be Boxbot. (He'll fake his own death for attention.)

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh no, poor Boxbot. :ohdear:
Wait, is Boxbot actually in the latest page? I don't see him. Unless you're saying that Boxbot is just off panel or something.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I'm not sure it would be a wise idea to tell the ship AI that Lindsey is already taken. "She also died, and we still did nothing."

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

lovely Wizard posted:

Actually, how effective would lasers be on Annie in Fire mode?

Also I like how they duct taped the helmets on.

Because of this gif, now I'm just imagining them firing Cheetos at Carver.

Maybe because of an offhand comment she had where she said she didn't really like them.

Hremsfeld posted:

Simple: :cthulhu:

I wonder what the ship's sprinkler system's going to do, or more accurately if it'd matter besides "oh and now the sprinklers are on."
Huh. Well remember how the court can release Etheric energy and it causes it to rain? Maybe they can pipe Etheric energy through the sprinkler system? Either the robots actually having an emergency countermeasure or Carver and crew figure it out to stop the madness.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

amishjosh posted:

you know, it's kind of unfair that we're relegating paz down to aquaman status. she can at least talk to all the animals, not just fish. i guess what i'm saying is that i fully expect to see her ordering her labmouse army to go crawl inside all the robots and gnaw apart various connectors.
It's kind of amazing how people look down on Aquaman for being 'useless'. When at various points he had super broken powerful abilities. Telepathically communicating with marine life turned into one where it worked on anything that had 'origins' from the sea. And since all life had roots in the sea, he could use it on people. Albeit a bit weaker, but he could still influence people.

At one point he had a magic replacement hand that had what is frankly a supervillain power: instantly dehydrating someone by touch. All the water, gone.

I'd like to think Aquaman maintains his 'useless' image just so he can have an excuse to wreck everyone. Even people who are the 'good guys'.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Is no one going to comment on how painful that pun was in Tom's comment
Why yes someone already did:

TurninTrix posted:

As much as I love those brows, I raise my fist on that pun, Tom. :argh:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Webs, dude.

Webs.
So I wonder if the boat is going to get a giant spider body. Not on purpose, but something the whitelegs do in order to escape. If they're even going to be around in this storyline.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Hey, these kids are pretty smart. Just look at how they've gotten themselves out of jams before!

Only, this time, they didn't need any laser cows. Just a really big, angry, marriage counselor.
Now you're just making me wish there were laser manatees.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Spikey posted:

I think the smoke is this stuff.
I'd say it's more this stuff. Magic blue biorobot smoke.

That creates angels.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It might just gives the court data on Zimmy's mental state/the etheric distortions. The court does apparently have knowledge of various 'levels' that the distortion can reach. And they can't track Zimmy because of it putting her 'on edge'.

That is assuming it's something the court gave her, and not something that was before the court even knew about her.

It's a bit interesting how it doesn't appear when Zimmy 'is' Annie. But it would make sense not to show up then.

If the circle is something important to the story, it's bound to come up. It might only be important to Zimmy's story, not Annie's.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Parahexavoctal posted:

Oh poo poo, I just realized.

Remember that page in the Gunnerkrigg Student Handbook explaining what to do if a robot falls in love with you?

There's a drat good reason for it to exist.
And all this time I thought it was specifically added because of Boxbot. But now that you point it out, it's also at the end of the start of Robot's cult forming. And it's probably because of how Diego made the whole love obsession thing a core part of them.

Ditocoaf posted:

They seemed to retain their personality when transitioning from Diego's original golem-like bodies to the more classically mechanical robot-designed bodies they have now. Who knows if Kat's artificial-flesh bodies will or won't free them from the nastier parts of Diego's influence?
Well that was them making their own bodies, not someone else making them.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

amishjosh posted:

given that our main characters seem to be a fire elemental, a robot angel, a person capable of causing level five etheric disruptions and vegeta, and also that coyote has stolen the sun before, and jones is jones, i don't know that it's safe to discount that the stars might in fact be birds that are flying way up.
There's also the embodiment of the power of order.

And the moon fingerprint.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It's clearly a surfboard.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You know, I don't think we have gotten an explanation for the mechanical birds yet, have we? Is that still an untied mystery thread?
I think they have something to do with the Seed Bismuth. If I recall correctly, Ysengrin was shown in a flashback to have caused the very thing he accused the Court to have done to the forest. That metal/technology growing thing. I can't recall if it was seeds or the actual Tic-Toc corpse.

Parts Kit posted:

And when she finally finishes she'll go MY GOD and the final panel will be a tic toc on her bench.
And with the way the ether works with godlike beings, they could have been sent back in time. I mean Coyote was created by man, but he also always existed.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm guessing it was meant to be seen as "wilfully get their bodies destroyed". The point is that they absolutely have to want to get their bodies destroyed, if it happened by coincidence, it wouldn't work. How their bodies are destroyed is of no importance. At least, that's how I read it.
But suicide is cheating! So it does matter in one specific aspect. Though it does bring up the question of who made that rule.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Dammerung posted:

I think she's just wearing her T-shirt.
Different color shirt in the first few panels than the second to last one. Unless it's just lighting differences, which looking at it again, it might well be. Guess the collar was throwing me, then.

I'm actually not sure what it actually is. Because earlier, she was wearing a necklace thing, with no wide collar thing. And that last panel with her seems to have some sort of wide collar, of a different color.

And it does look like she's wearing some kind of footwear now, since in the previous comic we see skin colored feet, and in this one we see them as a different color.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Jackard posted:

Keep getting distracted over here by computers in a sauna
Someone misunderstood how watercooling worked.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It's simple. Someone liked the architecture, and plopped it down.

Alternatively, the seed bismuth created buildings in every style. So somewhere in the Court is a at least one building in a style that hasn't even been made yet.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Apartments in outer spaaaaaaaaace. Annie's dad is the supervisor and is always super busy, hence why he never calls.
I remembered this post, and figured it should be seen again. It turns out he was just working on a lesson plan. On bone needles that go into space. And what to do when someone destroys it, and punches you when you're still in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

One Legged Cat posted:

Here's bettin' he gives Zimmy the stink-eye at least once.
Not if he thinks Annie is the one that did it. I mean Zimmy did say 'message from your daughter'. So Anthony is being a dick because he thinks Annie punched him for doing surgery without consent or even warning her that something bad is going to happen. Though he probably thinks "She was involved in getting the surgery supplies, of course she consented to the procedure." Without realizing that she would have no way of knowing that bit.

YellerBill posted:

I want to see him try this just so I have an excuse to dislike Anthony even more.
And Surma will probably be pretty pissed off too.