Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Eh, I figure she's just making a wall of flame so that he won't chase after her. She really just wants to be left alone by the court right now, but I doubt she'd actually harm anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I think the missing ear was the court's fault in some way - there's a bismuth symbol over it in the Third Treatise

Coyote literally has his eye on Antimony. Is this arc going to be what the fertility doll refers to?

Sneaksie Taffer fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 16, 2010

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Elysiume posted:

If you're saying what I think you're saying then you should probably stop doing that.

What do you think I'm saying? If you think I'm misusing literally, look at the picture closely.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

It'd make for one hell of a sex-ed lesson.

"And so that's how you put a condom on. Unless you're Antimony's ancestors, in which case you'll also need some flame retardant and some burn salve, because they knocked boots with a fire elemental."

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

If you have time to draw a hopscotch game, you haven't had a fireball thrown at you.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

I guess I didn't do a lot of rebelling when I was young. I just told my parents where I was going, called them if I was staying out super late and left out all the illicit poo poo I did.

You missed out. Sneaking out is super fun. My parents were lenient as can be, and I still snuck out from time to time. You get to feel like a spy or cat burglar, stay out and do whatever you want, and you get the satisfaction of knowing you still have a bunch of independence. Of course, most parents probably know their kids are doing it, but at least mine were nice enough to let me think I was sneaky.

And yeah, the majority of the time I snuck out or broke curfew was just to hang out, never anything illicit. I don't understand the problem you have with this chapter. Teens sit around and talk all the time.

^^^^^

CyRaptor posted:

Either way, not every chapter needs to progress the overarching plot; there is time for characterization, which this chapter seems to be. Kat and Annie's classmates may not be primary characters but they do factor into the plot from time to time, so there's no reason they shouldn't get their time in the spotlight for once, especially following a series of pretty serious and plot-heavy chapters.

It's also pretty important in showing how the main characters interact with others. Annie and Kat don't exist in a void. They're schoolkids, and they do schoolkid things like hang out with their friends.

Sneaksie Taffer fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 26, 2011

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

Crashing into each other and falling in love is a lame plot device used by animes and sitcoms. I don't mind him meeting Chang'e thats what gunnerkrigg is about.

You've never developed a crush on someone? They aren't in love, Matt is just infatuated with this girl he met.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Phy posted:

"Also there's this other girl who doesn't wear skirts who said I was pretty oh CRIPES how do I deal with this"

Meanwhile Donlan's all trying to figure out how to connect an oscillating framistat with a turboencabulator interlock

my kind o people that Donlan

"Let's date, but no one can ever know because...um...a reason. Even though two of our friends are openly dating, and no one cares."

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Mirage posted:

Because when they started dating two years ago, they publicly pretended to hate each other so their friends wouldn't think they'd caught The Cooties Ew Girls/Boys Ew. Now their "hatred" is such a part of their public personas that they'd probably think it humiliating to openly admit they've been hot'n'heavy for years. A bit childish really, but they're still a bit children.

Meanwhile, I'd lay down money that their friends already all know and are just humoring them because it's adorable.

Yes. We were posting examples of middle school relationship logic.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Haledjian posted:

Just because she sticks up for Zimmy doesn't mean she likes her. It just means she's empathetic and trying to do the right thing.

Would Zimmy even be upset that Annie called her a deranged psychopath?

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Well, my cunning plan failed. Time to selfJack-immolate.
This seems more likely. "Want to see a real flash of anger?"

edit: VVVVV I don't really see Annie as "snapping" as so much just letting a lot of resentment fester. In today's strip she realizes that she's been silly and that for the past few strips Jack was just winding her up. Keep in mind she's not all that good at reading people.

Sneaksie Taffer fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 12, 2011

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

This is exactly what I hoped would happen with this story, each interjecting and overwriting the other's story. Can't wait to see how the world of underground horse racing turns out.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Reynard's etheric form is a fox, when we all know he is actually a stuffed animal.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Staggy posted:

Huh. In the page after that, why does Coyote refer to Annie as "abalone"? Is there a meaning I'm not getting, or does he just see her as a Sea Snail?

:edi:
Always assume that Coyote is joking or being deceptive if he is wrong about something.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Goddamn people, look at Parley's pose in the last two panels. Her legs haven't changed position at all, except to rotate into her swing a bit. She's cutting from her top right down to her mid left. She just happens to teleport midway, making the cut end in the small of Robot's unprotected back. Besides, for all we know, she can't teleport inside things, and there's no good reason to stick that much of your sword inside someone where it can/will get stuck.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Is it just me, or does Kat look grumpy about Zimmy holding Annie's hand?

Your friend is in a coma that no one can quite figure out. A girl, who for all you know is a literal demon, with powers that you can't hope to comprehend, who takes every chance to mock and belittle you, who you aren't even sure isn't the cause, is grabbing your friend's hand. How do you look? Keep in mind you haven't slept much lately.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Unfortunately for Annie, Coyote has many secrets, all of them great.

His great secret is that he's lying about having a great secret.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Why does everyone think he's launching himself instead of just growing very tall? He's still visible as the head of the tree in the third and fourth panels. I'd be way more worried about an eighty foot tall tree-wolf than an airborne wolf.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

AlexG posted:

"I heard a story, swept across the ocean on the wind," says Coyote. Jones's ship? If it's correct that the court was founded no earlier than 1645, then this is before that (Rolfe died in 1622), matching Coyote's account in that chapter - he came because of Renard and Ysengrin, was there for the founding of the court, and then made the Annan Waters.

Oh, and we still don't know what Jones is.

Except that the founding of the court was before Rendard's time.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

I'm leaning towards Paz thinking the letter is from Kat to Bobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

It's Thursday.