Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Unlikely. It just doesn't seems to be relevant here. Might be wrong, though, given we don't know how Annie landed in that hospital bed.

e: Though now you mention it, the chapter's name is Divine, so that's maybe more likely than I thought.

And since it's my first post in this thread, I'd like to express my anger at the jerk who have a link to this fine webcomic in his avatar. I had things to do those past few days, drat you! Anyway, Am I the only who's a bit nostalgic of the very beginning, and more particularly the atmosphere? I really liked it back then, it was pretty overpowering and eerie, mixing both a pretty kiddy fear (being lost in a huge, unknown place), some seriously otherwordly setpieces, at least to me (in particular the division between the forest and the Court as it is shown in the beginning), and setting of he court itself as a huge, derelict sprawling city with no end in sight, which I like quite a lot. Now that we know a bit more about the world, it seems a bit of that ambiance is gone. On the other hand, it have been replaced by a quite awesome cast of likable characters, so no complaint from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe none of last few strips happened in the real world, and we are currently seeing one of Kat's nightmares? It would make all of the weird elements fit in.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Rasamune posted:

This is perfect.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Er, Annie, you might want to be careful. The last time the (possible) object of affection of a skilled mechanist rejected them for an elf, it didn't end up well for everyone involved...

^That or she has been in the magic equivalent of a long distance relationship for the last few months. But yeah, someone trying to get dirt on Coyote might be pulling the strings.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 11, 2012

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Don't tell me there was someone like that posting here? :gonk:
That last panel was pretty :3: inducing, though.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

This is Kat's perception. Annie got pulled away by the Forest, by Jones, and between the two and their influence Kat feels like she doesn't even recognize Annie any more (hence the blank mask).

At least that is my read of it.

I think that's not Kat's perception, but Annie's: Either getting pulled away by the forest and the court to the pointshe doesn't really recognize herself, or she could consider one of the forest, given she had fun there and started to be more extrovert there, before being constrained by Jones and the obligation of neutrality she carries.

Maybe Annie as she stand now can't really bring herself to be neutral to the forest anymore?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I wouldn't say the mask is smiling in a happy way. It look like it's smiling in a polite, neutral way. The fact it's split in the middle and the panel where Annie wears it screams "standing between two sides" to me. About Jones being naked... I don't know. Maybe Annie's taping in Eglamore's mind/feelings for some reasons?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Probably not as a representative of the Court, no. But as a representative of Annie's obligations and futur duties as a mediating agent? Forced to cast away emotions and preferences for her job? Maybe so.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

T-man posted:

Actually, am I the only one who sees the spikes as being the same color as the mask? Annie is afraid of her fire elemental side and hides her emotions. By wearing the mask she suppresses her nature to the people around her.

I think that's pretty much it, except the spikes seem to be ice, because she want to project the aspect of someone cold, like Jones.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

No Ysengrin, it's not the moment to channel Faceless from Spirited Away.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

And thus did the young, biased medium learn the importance of neutrality.

Less neutrality and more "Minding what you are saying to whom".

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

That or they fell out of contact? Maybe Surma rejected him, they went on their separate ways, and ten years ago or so Eglamore hears about Surma Carver, mother of Antimony Carver.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

:stare:
At that point, it's hard to try and rationalise as Jones merely being five or years older than Jimmy Jims. Though she does look marginally younger.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

I love how this arc has made me go awwww-uhhh--ewwww...

Makes me wonder why Jones would want to be in a picture with a bunch of kids though/why James would want her to be there?

That we can partially answer I think: She seems to be a pretty major figure in Eglamore's life since he came to the court, so he'd probably want her to be present for whatever was the photography commemorating.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Jones probably inheriting something (or just agreeing to in articulo mortis wedding) aside, am I the only one who think that the two workers on third panel have a passing ressemblance to Kat and Zimmy? Might be just a quirk of the art, but who knows?

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 10, 2012

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

ymgve posted:

One thing that stands out in today's comic is the "Thank the Lord" line - is this the first hint about religion in the Court's world? (Apart from robo-religion)

Well, considering the amount of psychopomps that have already appeared, there always was quite a lot of realworld religion being represented. Here, it's probably to reflect the fact it's set in somewhere in the UK circa 1940 and not necessarly the court.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Now Annie, putting your finger along the blade like that is the best way to get it chopped :v: You have a crossguard for a reason.
But those are very pretty anyway.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

big sperma shot posted:

Jones' outfit is so pretty :allears:

And it kinda implies she was part of the Nobility.
Anyway, but now it's starting to get slightly silly. Un until we saw her become Eyepatch Baby's caretaker, each strip served a purpose: we saw she knew Eglamore since a long time and has a special relationship, we see she's pretty old yet unchanging, and we see that she has been nurturing the same kind of relationship since a long time. Now, it's just starting to be "She's old. And older. And older."

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Tom Siddel, you beautiful, beautiful bastard :allears:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

The device killed Jeanne, too. She describes it right here:

It kills the elf guy too because she has to die brokenhearted, not just die. The plan only works if she feels all-consuming pain and anger, so that the spirit that remains will kill anything that enters its domain.

I think the only other thing we might learn about the device is how to undo its effects. I don't think we need any more explanation about what it is, really. Diego was jealous and arranged for Jeanne and her lover to die, and made a device to turn her into the guardian of the river both 1) to make things worse for her and 2) to provide a justification so the rest of the court would go along with her murder. He was able to do this because of magic, the same way he was able to create the golem-robots.

I don't think Jeanne's ghost has anything to do with Jones particularly, but I wonder if she might be able to hold it off, since she seems pretty much invulnerable to damage.

Actually, I think it proves the contrary: the device did not intend to kill Jeanne. The heart she refers to is her boyfriend, I think. It might have bound her here until she withered away, but it doesn't look like she was hurt by the device. Or she merely lost all will to live after her boyfriend's death, and the "ensnared" part is metaphorical.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

DNA Cowboys posted:

I like this answer best. I wonder how forthright Jones is to her students, wards, and friends/mutually beneficial lifeforms about her history. How special is Annie?

Considering Jones Mk 1 asked her to take his name, he probably knew what she is. So, she might share her history with anyone trustworthy.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

That or the ether can work in a negtive way: If enough people believe something do not exist, this thing simply don't. That would answer the idea the people in montana have 3 arms as well: the number of people that believe so should outweigh the amount of people that beleive all humans have 2 arms.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Surec posted:

So if I'm reading the themes in this cover right...Reynardine is going to come to love Robot's old body.

No. He's going to love boxbot. Commence despairing.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

So much for Robot being an anonymous messianic figure amongst the bots.

Well, about that... recall what happened to one of real life's most known messianic figures? New religions tend to attract the wrath of the old guard.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Buff Skeleton posted:

They'll surely have upgraded their security, though, after last time. You know, faster Haltbots that don't get tired, even longer hallways, and a secretary that isn't fooled by a headband. They'll have to come up with something different to get in, like wearing cardboard boxes wrapped in foil.

Whatever, they'll never be matches for Annie's powers of deception and trickery.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

"Like we practiced." :smith:

Robot knew this day would come, sooner or later. All he can do now is take as many of them as he can with him.

I don't think it's that kind of "we practiced", but more the kind that goes "I'm a praticed asskicker, you are a non combattant. Scram and hide before you catch someting not meant for you, like a double high flying kick, while I'm slaughtering those dudes. Catch ya later, love, XOXO".

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Wa11y posted:

Kinda like a modified Fastball Special!

More like a classic Super Mario throw.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

I'm very excited about the whole Kat thing and where it's going to go. The division between her and Annie seems inevitable with Kat's skills being so firmly on the court side of things and Annie's sympathies clearly leaning toward the wood.

Well, Kat's skills might be technologiy-related, but she only recently came down from a bout of hatred toward the court that was arguably stronger then even Annie's, if kept in check by her higher respect for rules, while Annie post forest holidays just doesn't give a gently caress. Regarding their futur, I don't think they'll end up as enemies. Radicaly different persons with different outlooks and skills, yes, but ultimately on the same board. Probably a neutral side, dedicated to fight the fuckery of both the Court and the Forest.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Yes, robots, pick a fight with the uncredibly powerful and rather violent shapeshifter that likes to take the form of a huge wolf. That's not going to end up with you reduced to scraps, no siree. :allears:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Have we ever seen Reynardine take some real hits in his stuffed toy body? Maybe it'll just get ripped apart.

I'm not willing to find out!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Two things to gather from this page: One is that robot was indeed a crazy heretical preacher before his meeting with Annie and Kat, and second is that the beleif in the Angel is something the other robots seem to give credit to. And it's The Angel, which hint's it's not just a short hand for some divine messenger, but a divinity onto itself. So, how is Kat going to prove that?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I think Rey's regret here is that he lacks opposable thumbs. It prevent him from flashing a big thumb up to Smitty to go along with the grin.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Cestrian posted:

His ambassador doesn't exactly come out of that story well either, like.

He doesn't have to mention that, though. But I don't really see Coyote do this for some reason. He has projects for Annie, if only to further his amusement. Having her be denied the position would jeopardy this.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

And his power might be useful applied to Ysengrin's instability (or at least get him out of dodge).

I don't know why everyone says that? His power is not some reality altering force that rigs things to go smoothly for Smitty, it creates order where there is none. If Ysengrin want a nip of him, I don't see how that will help. Nor how it's suppposed to cure Ysengrin's instability.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

The Sin of Onan posted:

Aww, poo poo, that Annie face. This chapter is going to bad places.

She is when the only alternatives are Parley and Smitty. Don't get me wrong, I love Parley and Smitty, but neither of them really has much of a diplomatic touch.

Well, Annie is hardly more diplomatic, when you think about it. I mean, the incident with Mort and the Blink Stone, or the absolutely vicious arguement with Reynardine, or pissing off Ysengrin, anyone? Annie's a pretty good person most of the time, but she's a bad diplomat.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

That or it's a ceremonial way to say "I, as invested by to Court with the power to choose a new medium,". Anyway,I'm really interested with how Annie is going to react. While I'd like to believe she grew enough not to go into full emotionnal outburst mode, I'm afraid Coyote is going to get his jollies here.

V Woah there, that's kind of overselling his power methink.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 11, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Because Annie has talent, legacy, an existing rapport with the forest, and has proven herself capable of acting as medium before. She's quite qualified apart from the reckless disregard of authority.

Yeah, her good rapport of running to the place unnannounced, twice, and nearly getting mauled to death, twice. Annie is really lovely as a diplomat, that one interaction between Mort, Smitty and Parsey nonwithstanding. And disloyalty as well as disregard for rules is the last thing you want from a loving diplomat.

A big flaming stink posted:

What qualities does Smitty even possess that make him a better candidate for medium than any random jackoff in the court right now?

Answer: he's an easily manipulated child

Well, presumably, he got the same medium class Annie did. Though we don't know the curriculum. And he is also level headed and has yet to flip his poo poo the way Annie did from time to time. And Annie can be manipulated, as well. Just ask good old Coyote there.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I think that the name Carver implies that he was seeing her less a duplicate of her mother, and more of "That man's spawn". So in a way Eglamore switching to any might be that he decided to let bygones be bygones. Oh, and regarding Surma and Eglamore, there's a neat little thing in this. I don't know if it's the same thing in England, but where I am from, there's a superstition against gifting a knife to someone. It must be traded or purchased, even if it's only for what there is in the receiver's pockets, because it otherwise severs, or rather cuts, the relationship between the parties. Which would be kind of tragic and ironic there.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Yes, because letting a foreign, rather hostile government pick your emissary for you otherwise they wage war against you is the mark of good leadership...

V Oh. My bad, then.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

As the early chapters show, there is an alarm of some kind. Tripping it deploy instantly 1D1 Jimmy Jims on site. I guess otherwise you'd have a waiting line of kids trying to sneak into the forbidden place.

VV: Well, if it works for Superman, it better works for Jimmy Jims. :allears:

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 15, 2013