Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Matlock Birthmark posted:

That was my point as well. I was pointing out that it's not technically true what Cestrian said about Mary Sue's being unlikable. We as an audiance can dislike a character such as Ethan, but in comic universe, no one acknowledges that he's a jerk, and he doesn't suffer negatively for it.

I think a further point is that when it comes to Mary Sues, the characters within the story don't call them on anything because in general the author wants everyone, audience included, to love them. Because aren't they just so obviously perfect and amazing?

quote:

Now the first chapters, when we didn't have many other characters, and the story was more narrated by Annie, ya I can see a bit of Mary Sue.

This, I think just boils down to "Annie is narrating, therefore Annie makes herself look more competent and better than she really is." For a lot of the early part of the story (especially looking back on it when we've seen what comes later), it very much seems like Annie tries to act a lot more grown up and mature than she really is (the makeup, the way she talks). Slowly but surely, we've seen Annie grow by allowing herself to act her age, though she's kind of bad at it (i.e. acting mean mostly for the sake of it and having it backfire).

I suppose if everyone's mentioning, I started reading over the summer. Chibisoma's rant got brought up in one of the mock threads, which led to a "Gunnerkrigg Court is really good and you all should check it out if you haven't" derail. So I did, and I fell in love right away. I never really thought to look at this thread until a few days ago, but now that I have, I'm glad I did. Lots of interesting discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
One thing that no one seems to have mentioned is how witnessbot seems to wildly change positions in relation to the other robots during his recording. There's at least two entirely different positions, with no real indication how he moved between them. Not sure if I'm going anywhere with this, or if it even means anything.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Nah in the fourth panel he's behind them, looking in the opposite direction of the 'camera' as this one.

Then in the next page (1131)/ next panel Robot and the other 'bots have jumped down to a lower building, and fat bot's moved up to the ledge where Shadow and Robot used to be sitting as is now looking down.

It just sort of skipped the part where Robot jumped down with Shadow and then threw him (because fatbot couldn't see that?)

You're right, thanks. Forgot the whole sequence of events.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=386

Smitface is probably the Courtyest candidate here. Parley's observation is too shallow to be useful, Annie's observation is probably the most insightful but it's directed against the Court, Andrew's observation is the one that looked the most like some sort of intel for the Court.

Only problem I've got with this is that that conversation was with Jones, and no one else was around. Jones seems like she'd be looking for the person who could most capably perform the medium's job, that is, mediating between the Court and the Forest. You could take it as an indication of a greater pattern that the Court might notice in making their decision, but the other thing to keep in mind is that this was just about the first we'd seen of Parley and Smitty, and they've both changed a decent amount since then (though admittedly, Parley more than Smitty). If I remember correctly, Smitty didn't seem to have any objections to the whole plan to help Jeanne.

On the other hand, from what we've seen of all of them, I think Smitty's the closest to what the medium is supposed to be: neutral and conciliatory. Parley's too much of a hothead, and Annie seems to care more about the Forest than she does the Court.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Outlandish theory: Anthony was somehow aware of Annie's medium candidacy and contacted the Court to put a stop to it.

(I just really want Anthony to show up, okay?)

Well...

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=292

It hasn't been quite long enough, but it sure is getting close. And "hear from" doesn't necessarily mean "show up."

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
This whole discussion has given me an interesting if somewhat distressing thought:

What if Annie is supposed to be a new guide of the dead? She said she led her mother to the other side once she died, because none of the guides came for her. Later, Renard told her that none of the guides came because there was nothing left of Surma to take, the fire elemental ancestry passing her essence to Annie and all. But then, shouldn't it have been impossible to bring Surma to the other side?

It's been confirmed that the important word on that page is "waiting", so the question is, what is Jeanne waiting for? Muut said that none of the guides could help her. The last thing he says on that page is "Then you have already begun to help. We knew you would. It was only a matter of time." What if what Jeanne is waiting for is a guide to take her to the other side, and that's Annie? What if Annie is supposed to be a guide who can take the departed that the others can't?

Just a thought. Probably some holes there, knowing my track record with theory-crafting.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

The posture is possible, but not with her right shoulder straight to the side. If you imitate that move, your shoulder leans forward and your arm goes over your chest. Here she has her shoulder straight and her arm along her side.

Not that I would have noticed if you hadn't talked about it. :(

Trying to do that pose myself, the problem seems to have more to do with the angle of her upper arm than her shoulder. Looking at the picture again, Kat's got her shoulder a bit forward. I can't seem to mimic her upper arm pointing basically straight down, however. Not to mention, no matter what I do, I can't seem to keep my arm behind my chest from that angle, and still have my reach about to my other shoulder. I have officially put way too much effort into this.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

Well we know from Brinnie that Odin exists, as does presumably the whole Norse pantheon. And Coyotes mentioned other Native American spirits. Given the nature of the ether I think every myth is real.

Should we start a countdown to vampires? :v:

Considering how much Darkstalkers stuff Tom's been doing? Yes, I think we should.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Kennel posted:

Speaking of absence, we haven't seen Tic-Toc birds in ages.

That, quite frankly, I think is intentional. We will almost certainly see them again at some point. Probably once we find out what they're really all about. Which may or may not have something to do with Kat's new robot design.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Probably works the same way a forest works. Forests just sort of you know grow and stuff and hang out. Forests don't get old and dilapidated after a while, they are in a constant state of growth and renewal and reusing the old stuff to make new stuff. I doubt very much that the actual Court people are in control of this process, or at least they are in much the way a bunch of animals are in control of the way a forest grows.

Well, yes, but one of the most important ingredients in keeping a forest growing is sunlight, a.k.a. energy being input. It could be that whatever process keeps the court growing needs a constant supply of etheric energy, but can't gather it on its own.

Also, all this talk of growing the court has me wondering about Kat's plans for "growing" Robot's new body.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I'm more curious by the comment at the bottom: options? Implying she can get around doll bodies, maybe taking over people?

That might be a Gradius reference, referring to her little floating sparkly bits. Though I suppose that would be capitalized. Still, it's a pretty funny idea for what those are. Or terrifying, considering Hetty's personality.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

The Red Queen posted:

I removed the speech bubble fragment, hope that's okay!

And the quote would be, "Now, you see my TRUE FORM!"

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
That's quite a claim there, big rainbow glowy-thing. I'm certainly intrigued. Go on.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

isasphere posted:

Her clothes are also turning gray and getting the Ether Vision texture too (it's more noticeable on her green blouse).

And as one final detail, Annie's hair is only that long/big in the Ether.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Drakyn posted:

No lipring, disappointed, 0/10.

See that tentacle coming from underneath the eye tentacles that attaches to the thing's chest? Kinda looks like it attaches about where a lip would be, doesn't it?

Kantesu fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 1, 2014

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Surprised no one has mentioned the shirt the fairy/sprite/whatever is wearing is the cover image for the chapter.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

On the topic of Janet and Winsbury:

I wonder why it is that her dad would freak out so much? Something about Winsbury specifically, or just that his daughter is dating at all?

In addition to what other people have said, it's also likely a reference to the folk tale Winsbury and Janet are (vaguely) based on, Willie o' Winsbury: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_O_Winsbury.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
There was one time when Annie didn't have the cut on her face in Zimmytown. When she was actually Zimmy:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=727

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

The Mentalizer posted:

Considering Coyote's reaction when he discovered that Annie was not Surma but actually Surma's daughter (I believe it was "Eglamore, you hound!"), I somehow doubt the fire elemental's reproductive cycle is asexual in nature.

Also, using 'when' instead of 'if' is a pretty standard way of describing the cycle of life in a general sense. In this case I doubt it means anything concrete in terms of Annie's future. Sort of like when a parent shows their child a priceless family heirloom and tells them how it will one day be theirs, usually followed by a statement like "..and when you have a child of your own, you will pass it on to them." The 'if' part of that statement is just implied; they're not necessarily foretelling the kid's future, just giving them the old circle of life chat in a casual manner.

Then again it is Coyote we're talking about, so any point I make could mean pretty much gently caress-all when it everything is said and done.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=819

May I direct you to Tom's comment on the page in question.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
You've also just inadvertently answered the question of whether all fairies are born "hollow" or not (the bunny's fairy friend doesn't have completely blank eyes). Compare:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1355

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=128

I suppose you could argue it's a change in style, and that fairy still doesn't have pupils. Though, again, a few pages ago, when the rabbit got it's soul totem pulled out, its eyes went completely white (but of course its eyes were completely black before that).

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
New thought that popped into my head reading idonotlikepeas' post:

Whatever's going on with Annie and the Fire is supposed to be permanent, and fixing it will give her/everyone else some insight into how to help/free Jeanne.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
One thing I just noticed looking at Friday's page again: Great big Bismuth symbol right in the middle of it, positioned to make you think it's the sun at a glance (with an oddly familiar arrangement of colors inside). Don't think anyone mentioned that before.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Can't wait till next chapter where we find out that the headmaster is actually a super cool dad and Vegeta and Whatsherface are just being over-reactionary kids like most teenagers.

"Be home by 9, dear!"
"GAH DAD I'LL DATE WHO I WANT!"

Well, that would sort of be in line with the story they're based on.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I was beginning to think that people in the court don't die, they get frozen down when their old or their souls get stored like we've seen before. But that doesn't jive with the ROTD recordings from the court founders, unless the storing people came later. There's a little moment between Kat's parents when they send her off with the key to her robot lab where they talk about "their time" is over. If I'm right, it's likely that when one generation grows up and takes over as teachers in the Court, the old generation steps down. Have we actually seen any elderly people around the court?

For old people, there was the former Dragon Slayer: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=541

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

PubicMice posted:

We covered this, she's 4.5 billion.

e: I read the comic for the art, everything inside the art is secondary. Goddamn, Tom's gotten good.

Technically, that chapter ended with Jones saying, "I don't remember anything before that," leaving the possibility she's actually even older.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Plan was:

1. Get rid of arrow (because it's what tied Jeanne to the river and prevented her from being taken to the Ether)
2. Have Annie take Jeanne into the Ether

Presumably, they still want to do 2, but weren't expecting the removal of the arrow to elicit the response it did. I'm expecting they'll find some way to talk her down...but something bad'll probably happen first.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Dogwood Fleet posted:

More importantly, what's Red's friend's name going to be?

Smitty, of course. And she'll use her powers to make everyone think she's the original model.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The lack of arrows on the dialog boxes supports that interpretation (I've been reading it that way as well).

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
About that chapter again: at the beginning of the conversation, Tony said he went to find the psychopomps. I think the general assumption at the time was that he found something else. Based on what happened at the end of the whole Jeanne thing, maybe those were psychopomps. And whatever they were having him do had something to do with getting Annie to work for them.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I would assume we're seeing a representation of Ysengrin's memory, as it exists post-eating. So Coyote is selectively removing memories to create a particular narrative in Ysengrin's head. Or something like that.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
It's also entirely possible that the buried Tik-Tok was entirely Coyote's doing. Order or force Ysengrin to do something, then eat the memory, so when he finds it months later, he's legitimately pissed, giving them an excuse to visit the court.

Also, didn't the robots have a depiction of a Tik-Tok on a banner at some point? That would seem to strengthen the association with Kat more than anything, even though I think that was long before she was really getting going with the robots.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

I sort of think Eglamore is going to die or maybe get badly wounded here.

I'm pretty sure Eglamore has to die at some point just so Tom can have a comment on a page focused on Jones that says "That Lady is Eglamore."

Bonus points if that comment is how we find out Eglamore is for sure dead.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Is that a Chibisoma alt account

No, he seems to be crazy in the complete opposite direction.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Anybody else notice the weird green root/tree/blood vessel looking stuff in the background of just about every ether-y page that Loup's been on so far (and don't appear to have shown up pre-Loup)? They seem to show up wherever he's got influence. The only page they're noticeably missing from is the page where he claims he can break the Court barrier: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2023 As if we weren't already thinking he might be lying about that.

One other place they're missing is when he's talking about Renard doing "as he pleases" here: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2020 though it's only the panel he's specifically talking about Renard. They appear as soon as Ysengrin does in the next panel.

The trees appear to be turning into them here: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2031 which makes sense sinse he apparently froze the entire forest.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I feel like this is setting up for one of two things, both resulting in Loup getting Tooth'd (whatever that ends up doing):

1. Annie returns the Tooth, not knowing that Loup didn't know about, separating/killing/whatevering him
2. After returning the bone and water, Annie goes "There's one more thing that Coyote gave me," cue Parley bipping in with the Tooth.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Is that a lotus design around the egg?

What's the white glowing teardrop thing in Annie's hand? Or is it just to mirror the heart?

Annie's outfit is pretty obviously calling back to Ysengrin's old duds (looks a bit like the outfit she's been wearing lately, but that doesn't have the red lines that are here. Plus the neckline and sleeves are different).

Hanging from Kat's dress: The Arrow, a peacock feather, and something else (rectangular, with lines or cracks in it).

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Well, now his eyes don't have to be right next to them, is the point.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Oh yeah, I came up with names for both of the Annies:

Court Annie can be Courtnie and Forest Annie can be Frannie. Never mind that that isn't how those names are usually spelled.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Idea: Annie never left the forest, and the Court she went back to is a construct made by Loup. That was the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
A few thoughts:

- Annie dies if she ever has a kid. But what if she doesn't? Regular human lifespan, or would she basically be immortal?
- Jones "attaches" herself to people, moving on when they die. I've been pretty certain that Eglamore is going to die at some point (if for no other reason than for Tom to be able to have a comment of "That lady is Eglamore" the first time Jones shows up after he dies; but Parley being on a course to replace him would seem to suggest that too). So who would Jones attach herself to next? She's already shown a great deal of interest in Annie, and told Annie a lot about herself (well, her entire history, basically).