Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Watch out giant worm, Bernard Pollard is coming to break your joints!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I really ought to reread GKC. Again.

Oh hey look at this page! :toot:

2 hours after this posting...

Did we ever find out what moddey dhoo means in that panel?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Alkanos posted:

Oh jeez, this page brings back bad memories from teenager-hood. Mostly because I did the exact same thing. :blush: Almost twice actually, but luckily I had friends who didn't take no for an answer the second time.

The thing you may not realize is that Anthony probably feels pretty horrible right now. Which of course leads to cutting yourself off even more, which leads to other situations like this. And it's pretty much impossible to get yourself out of this cycle alone, even if you want to. It just gets easier to make excuses again and again. So this actually makes me like Anthony a little better and the rest of the gang a little less. I'm superglad my friends didn't just let me make excuses and walk away, so it sucks to see his friends give up so easily.

Of course, there could be more to the story come next page, so it might swing my opinion back the other way.

This is all understandable and cause for pity when he's a kid utterly unable to deal with romantic advances, but when it leads him to abandon his daughter for years just after the death of her mother, then he becomes a disgusting coward.

So to restate:

Bad Tony. Worst Dad.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cestrian posted:

The fact that Donny seems to think his communication with Annie is limited solely because he chooses it to be, because he's crap with people, is a point against him to me.

The only real excuse that would work for me at this point is, 'I would like to talk to you/spent time with you but I was prevented doing so by circumstances beyond my control'.

Which presumably is why this phone call hurt Annie so much. Because it seems, sao far, to be ruling that out.

Yep.

He may be a tragic figure, but if he is so paralyzed by his fear of others that he treats his daughter this way then he really should not have had a daughter in the first place. You don't get to claim character flaws when someone depends on you.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So, a couple of things.

This does put new light on "man's attempt to become a god." If the court is aware of the effect that the human intellect has on mundane things, then perhaps the purpose of Gunnerkrigg Court is to harness and exploit this deity-creating aspect of human intellect.

Zenzirouj posted:

Or if they figured out that belief = power (assuming Coyote is correct in this explanation) they're trying really hard to believe that they're powerful, or at least create the idea of that power, but that means you have to know that you're not powerful but know that if you and enough people believe that you are then um argh

Or that, basically.

Another thing. Does this quirk of intellect only apply to humans, or does it apply to all things with a human-like intellect?

If that's the case, then it seems Robot's creepy worship and evangelizing is doing more than weirding out Shadow. It could very well be transforming Kat into an angel of life and death.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 4, 2012

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

pik_d posted:

It seems like she may have misinterpreted the concept of taking someones name. Surely Edward meant for her to be Emma Jones?

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say this is how she pays tribute to his sentiment to get married.

I don't think she's an idiot about emotions.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AE-35 Unit posted:

Based on Tom's link to filling factories, this is probably around WWII time, and Jones looks the same as she does age-wise in the (assumed) present. It's obviously significant, but for the life of me I can't understand what that significance is. I can't really see where this is going. It's going somewhere, but we (or just me) obviously still don't have enough information yet.

I'd be hesitant to say this is where she gets "stuck" in her age, since she still exhibits her Jones-ness (impervious to damage and higher vocal ranges). Rather, its probably a call-back to humans fleeing to the court to escape war that Coyote mentioned way back when.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Is she lying or is Tom lying or is no one lying aaaaah

Hint: Emotionless people don't form bonds that last a lifetime.

Its pretty clear she's overselling her inhuman nature like crazy

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

It makes a lot of sense that they'd skip over Annie for the medium job, actually. From the court's perspective, she's a little too close to the forest people, and might not have the court's interests in mind. She's also shown herself to be a total loose cannon time and time again. They're probably looking for someone that'll do a better job of keeping the relationship stable.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure the last thing the court is interested in is a truly neutral medium. Remember that Surma, the previous medium, helped lure and capture Renard. Annie would not be a tool of the court due to her familiarity with the forest; Smitty is far more likely to be manipulated by the court.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Niton posted:

I get the distinct feeling that the Headmaster himself has a problem with Annie, and he (or someone else) is using the court as a front. From the sounds of the other Court members in attendance, it's more than a bit strange that everyone but him is shocked.

Maybe Anthony tried to do (or succeded in doing) something incredibly stupid, and this is their form of backlash?

Again, everyone knows that Annie is by far the most qualified to be Medium. The Headmaster is choosing the inferior candidate either due to her independent streak, or her extra-curricular activities (the business with Jeanne) or both.

quote:

See, this is why I'm baffled as to why everyone in the comic thought it was a foregone conclusion she'd get picked. Even Parley & Smitty, who were competing against her the whole time. Even Eglamore, after basically telling her a chapter ago she was being reckless with Coyote and Ysengrin. Even JONES, who literally does not have a stake in any of this whatsoever. It reads false to me.

She's the only one who has interacted at all with the forest denizens. She's also the only one to have shown the ability to interact with the ether (heck, can Smitty even use a blinker stone?) What qualities does Smitty even possess that make him a better candidate for medium than any random jackoff in the court right now?

Answer: he's an easily manipulated child

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 13, 2013

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

Magic order powers, which is basically like the single greatest power you'd want a diplomat to have. Drop him in the Middle East, that poo poo is wrapped up by tea time.

Yeah, his powers don't actually do that. He's never shown to influence people with his powers, at most he can reverse entropy on a local scale. Which is a pretty nifty power, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't actually do anything to help reconcile two parties with opposing claims.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 13, 2013

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Jenner posted:

I have decided to read this thing.

So far I am enjoying all of it, even Boxbot.

It's ok mate, even the most diehard fans of the comic acknowledge the bad parts. You don't need to pretend to like all of it just to get on the thread's good side.

It's ok to admit some parts are terrible. (like Boxbot)

(He is terrible)

(terrible)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

She's been around as long as humanity (longer actually). It isn't surprising that she had a solid grasp on how people interact. She needs to, just to fake emotions and so forth.

Yeah there ain't anything fake going on with Jones's emotions. Despite what she claims, I'm pretty sure perfect mimicry of emotions, down to small, personal gestures of grief, is indistinguishable from the real thing. We can leave the qualia to the p-zombies.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
called it, but it was completely obvious.

any time this comic gives you as much clear exposition as we got last week it's screaming "fraud"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Is this supposed to be before the bonus page from the last chapter, or does Kat refer to another visit to the forest?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I think yall are being way too optimistic about this being resolved like a simple misunderstanding. The fact that this has taken so many pages and the tone is far more grave than the last divide between Annie and Kat is a pretty good indicator that this is going to be one of those things that alienates the two from each other. It'll be stupid and teenage logic as all heck, but signs are pointing that this is going to be a pretty big negative on the friendship.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Jones is pretty much full of poo poo when she talks about how inhuman she is. Yeah sure, keeping a scrapbook of everyone you knew and changing your name for them sure seems like no emotions, yep.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I like the idea that she gets her super smarts retroactively from being the God of Robots. Sure it creates one big By Your Bootstraps paradox but that ain't anything new for fiction.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Did we ever get an explanation for why the hell Annie was able to assemble a robot by sticking random parts together when she was 10 or something?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Soooo, it seems like Parley stands literally no chance against Jeanne if she's playing for keeps. I hope this isn't the sudden-character-death-out-of-nowhere-tonal-shift chapter. The SCDOONTS chapter.

Especially since Parley has the side character emotional ties with the main characters death flag.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

I dunno, looks like Jeanne was going for the kill here and that didn't work out for her. Plus, teleporting.

Cmon, at least read the next couple pages

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cyphoderus posted:

What if there was a big climactic battle for the Court's future with swords and arrows and etheric powers being flung about and Steadman got leg-sweeped by fox-Ysengrin and fell into the chasm while firing multiple arrows at a gigantic manifestation of Coyote as a megazord, what then huh

Ysengrin's a wolf :colbert:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Late to the chapter 38 chat, but I think the biggest issue is that it teases the reader about being a Annie chapter about one of the things we've been in the dark about since the beginning of the comic, but it's actually a Kat chapter about something we had no idea existed until then.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So, I guess I'm the only one kinda not thrilled to be given a detailed backstory on Mort? He's such a one-track (and the track is fun) character that I feel like this is approaching bloat.

Granted it's one page so there's no guarantee that this is gonna be the entire chapter, but it's kinda concerning that we veered away from such an emotionally tense moment previously.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah but does everyone really need a tragic backstory? Well ok not tragic. Does everyone need a drawn out, beautifully composed historically accurate backstory?

In other words,

SIIIIIIGH

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Jesus Christ Tom. I thought I only had to worry about soul-crushing alt text when I read Whomp.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Gee Jones, that's a rather pointed sense of obligation and responsibility you have there. Considering, yknow, no emotions and whatnot.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I wonder why Jones is so intent on Mort not being taken into the ether. She's not irrational as far as we're aware, so does she know what happens beyond and, for whatever reason, not want Mort to go there? I mean, apparently she can't bargain for Mort's life to be returned, which is what I was expecting to happen (and fail, hence him ending up at the Court instead), so, yeah. Weird.

She's being irrational and guilty about the fact that it's her fault a small boy died.

:ms:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Glagha posted:

I'm kinda wondering what the ROTD rules are such that "unfair and unjust" from Jones is an acceptable argument.

I'm gonna guess that RotD has to mediate disputes between psychopomps all the time, and since most of those disputes are probably "he's mine." "No he's mine" they probably just go with whatever makes them shut the gently caress up the quickest.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
guys it was a cheap dracula because it worked in comic relief of the serious matter of a child getting shredded by shrapnel. no one is making you sperg about the metaphysical implications of every panel yknow

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I really don't think that's "afraid for one's life" scooting back but rather "bout to get yelled at by a girl" scooting back.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Wow this chapter is really meandering. Come on Tom, get a move on already!

the thing you have to accept about gunnerkrigg whether you like it or not is that Tom is way more concerned with drawing a series of pretty pictures than a tightly plotted story.

dont get me wrong the pretty pictures are loving gorgeous but it does leave the pace of the story lacking

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
the dickfrog is totally Coyote btw

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i desperately pray that is zimmy just for the ensuring shitstorm.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
There is a special place in hell for people that phonetically spell accents

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Ya got a problem with Red, mate?

you and i both know that everything involved with red's character has carte blanche because of this

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
loving bboy haters

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Blackheart posted:

The rest of the story is Zimmy recreating the events from Carrie at the dance partyFootloose.

e:f,b

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
uh he's probably on to something considering he retains the memories of the time he was infected by something that lives in zimmy's head.

expect crazy poo poo soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Brightman posted:

Does this work?

Edit: And flipped to aim it at posts:

Edit2: Just saw that the along with recent downtime to improve forum stability the avatar size limits have been increased to 100kb and 150x150...but I'm too lazy to redo that to net a bit more curtain and half of a dancing girl. This does mean however that someone can get an animated avatar depicting the best page of Gunnerkrigg.

gif the two to make her chair-dance