Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Magnus Condomus posted:

Dragons Lair in Austin Texas. I go in every now and then to pick up Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep. Just happened to notice they had Vol. 2 of Gunnerkrigg, but not the first. So I ordered that and the third on Amazon.

How many did they have? I might run by there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Maybe it's the lack of Homestuck talking, but I'm getting some strong coolkid vibes from him.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

QueerPope posted:

I'd love a surprise City Face arc. I was visiting NYC recently and I saw a pigeon eating a bagel on the ground. I said to the person I was with "Look! A human business man" before remembering that it's not a very well known reference and I probably shouldn't blurt it out loud in public for no reason.

City Face was how I got my boyfriend to start reading Gunnerkrigg. He loved the beak line so much that he's coined the phrase, "thinking with your beak" whenever he comes up with a good idea.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

If this hasn't been said a dozen times already, then we're doing it wrong:

The GGC books look amazing. I had a chance to see a friend's copy of it, and boy oh boy am I aching to get all the volumes. Plus it's a fantastic price for a hardback copy. I can't say how impressed I am.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Olivia42 posted:

That's cheating! They're not allowed to cheat!

Oh no no no, another thirty minutes gone! But on reading that, I wonder if Red noticed Annie's cut on her cheek. I kinda forgot that they were right there when it happened.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

This page might have just tipped my hand on the avatar train. Blue is not amused.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Got a silly question: what are the fonts used for this comic? I think I *might* already have the one used for dialogue, but I can't place either that or the chapter titles.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Olivia42 posted:

Ales and Wenches for the speech bubbles, Spirit Medium for chapter titles.

Sweet, thanks!

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Yesssssss, flashback!

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I would donate an entire limb for some sweet android/iPhone wallpapers. Also, volume 1 should be here any day now! :dance:

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Donald goes FZZAK.

I don't know how many times this page has been linked, or will be linked, but it's never enough. Donald looks like such the badass in this.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

qa6 posted:

Noooo, I don't want to stop hating Anthony for being a terrible father :mad:

I could empty quote this all day. I was not expecting to find Tony sympathetic even after all of that. But sure enough, seeing his palms changed my view of things.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

Speaking of cons, have you thought about going to American ones now that you're a full-time webcomicer? Because there's this here Dragon-Con coming up soon and I live in Atlanta, so it sure would be great...

Please come to America so we can all fling money at you. :911:

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Esme posted:

Huh, this Zimmy can't see the pigeon on Kat's head. I wonder why.

I don't know if this is actually Zimmy, and honestly, I don't think she was throwing that punch either.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Fellis posted:

Wait...Tom is about a month or two ahead in updates right? And he quit his job about a month or two...

It wasn't so he could work on Gunnerkrigg full time at all! It was so he would have time to go into hiding from the legions of fans out for blood!

Tom can't go into hiding until he releases a a forest logo shirt. :colbert:

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Wow, all of these Morts are amazing and I love it.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Ugh, that one always pisses me off. Couldn'ta stuck around for ten more minutes explaining a few things, old guy?

It felt like the most artificial information denial in this comic by far.

It never felt all that artificial per se, at least to me. I just kind of felt like it was part of the same shtick as "She died and we did nothing." If anything I almost wonder why I would've expected any other type of answer from the golems, regardless of how old they were.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Jones is still heavy. Also the Jones fun time avatar is awesome. I'm secretly hoping that this chapter's gonna end with Jones saying "What does it matter what I am?" or "What's it to you?"

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Matlock Birthmark posted:

My crazy theory is Jones is the etheric personification of how human's perceive the formation of species and Earth. If belief in an outside godly force while looking at a coyote is enough to create a Coyote trickster deity. Then whose to say scientific study isn't enough to retroactively create something to observe the changes in history happening.

Jones has been around to observe all these things happening, and humans create/know these events to have occurred due to observations of things written history, artifacts, and fossils. That sounds like a type of belief to me, and in this story's setting probably has some sort of power.

And she very well could have been around at the creation of the universe with this theory.

This was exactly what I thought when this page posted, and it has some merit. When Coyote talks about forming the stars in the sky, does the power of that myth make him old enough to have seen the stars form?

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Ugh, these two weeks are gonna spoil me. And this page, goddamn.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Seeing the art lined up like that is amazing. Today's page just seems like a huge step in quality, though. I mean drat.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I'm kinda hoping for a Paz comic. These have been pretty great so far. :)

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

How adorably terrifying. :allears:

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Andrew Verse posted:

It would be nice if he dragged her to Eglamore or someone else of authority.

It's debatable if that would even do much without the boy's consent. I mean, I bet it'll be fairly easy: "Hey kid, this doll killed your sister and had plans to do the same to you." But it sounds like the court would still need the kid to transfer ownership or something. The part I find interesting is that the contract is binding, or seems to be to hear Hetty talk, regardless of the new owner knowing about her. What makes that different than her not having an owner at all?

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Blackheart posted:

GOD -->

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

I don't post in here ever, just lurk. But holy hell did that make me laugh hard.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Annie's reaction to all of that makes me wonder if she really was holding a candle for Jack this whole time and not just plotting really petty revenge.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Tollymain posted:

the idea that anthony loves his daughter in his own autistic way and the idea that his behavior is utterly unacceptable and he shouldn't be anywhere near her aren't exactly mutually exclusive

That's how I've been reading this whole chapter. I feel like, to a certain extent, YF has a point. I don't think that Annie is going to come to any certain clear revelation that her dad is a grade A supreme jerk, because that's not how abused children work. They internalize that as being the norm, and in some cases, it shapes their personality. Annie's reserved nature started slowly going away only after years of not being around the guy, and only under extreme circumstances. I see this chapter having Annie go further back into her own shell for awhile, much to the disappointment of all the new friends she made from being herself.

Kat, on the other hand, is that friend that has the most frustrating task in the world of see things for what they really are, and not having any real power to change her friend's mind.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I'm re-wiring my brain to believing this is the real update because fuuuuck dealing with that other nonsense.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

That card is great and all, but I seriously need Kat's jacket. That thing looks boss as hell.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

She's not going to hang him for his mistakes based on everything else we've seen from her. Though reading facial expressions is a vague business that is nowhere on the death glare spectrum in this tropers opinion.

People still trying to hate the T-man and he's still knocking out the homeruns.

They're referring to the fiery side of Annie, her now established avatar of anger and hatred towards her pops. This is seen in the beginning of this chapter. Also please don't call yourself a troper, goons don't seem to like that place.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

:thejoke:

The fire elemental pretty much always has an angry face, it is no angrier now than earlier. I wonder how much of it is a reflection of Annie's emotions and how much is its own agency.
I can't tell with you sometimes. Call it Poe's Law kicking in. Fire Elemental Annie stopped lashing out for a second and had a non-rage expression on her face, and we had a flashback on why she still loves her dad, even though she's furious.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Jackard posted:

The same child, even.

Never stops being true!

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

rannum posted:

cvet & paz: gossips in arms

Nah, at least Cvet owns her gossiping, in the sense that she doesn't act ashamed or tries to hide. I feel like Paz slinking off is something deeper, like maybe Kat told her this in confidence or something. It kind of feels like she has a perpetual axe to grind with Annie anyway, so who knows.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I feel like it's not hate, but I don't say axe to grind lightly. She states her jealousy here: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1200. It was kind of shown as self-aware at the time, but if as long-running as some of the plot threads are, that could've been a seed. I dunno, I just think it's one of those situations where the person you're dating doesn't like your best friend, but you put up with it.

Bonus third wheel Awkward Annie: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1392

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

The self-reflection is nice to see, but it still has me wondering exactly what she intends to apologize for. She keeps saying that how she went about it was bad and embarrassing, and that she didn't mean for it to go "like that." Which, fine. But it's a bit of a leap to say "I handled that badly" when you screamed "you do not deserve to be her friend."

That kind of vitriol came from somewhere, and honestly that's the meat I want to see explored.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Congrats to all the people that predicted that the only reason Tony was being nice to Frannie was because he didn't see her as the real Annie.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

The way people are continuing to expect another shoe to drop, revealing that in fact there are still two of them and that this is some kind of ruse, makes me think you haven't been understanding the story that's been told. Or, possibly, I haven't.

It's like that time Kirk was split into good and evil halves, not like Sliders.

I think the file merge might be a better explanation because the narrative has implied that these were two whole Annies rather than one halved by Loup. That's supported the most by https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2445, where her fire power is described as twice as strong. Compare that to Dealing with HER where we get a direct comparison of their powers and Perspective, where we see Courtnie tear through some wisps. Neither chapter implies that they're weaker or halved in any way, whereas this chapter states explicitly that they're combined, and that combination was a true sum of their parts.

I think it's written with the potential for a shoe to drop, but considering we had a year of two Annies, I won't hold my breath to see if/when it happens.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I really wish we saw at least some of Annie's fusion from her perspective, because right now her saying that she took matters into her own hands doesn't feel earned.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

It could cut the very earth!

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=686

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

IUG posted:

They were also available as physical comics when they first came out. They're nice, much larger than any other comic book issues I've purchased (so much so that they're larger than any comic book protector I've found), and Coyote's was one of my favorites. Traveller will rip out your heart.

Also, I took the ants to be pre-historic man, not modern day man. Somewhere between cavemen and dark ages. And whatever the Seed Bismuth was at this point, it sure wasn't the city that humans inhabit today. And the point stands that Coyote wasn't interested in the "ants" until he saw how Rey was.

The dividing part happened when the Court existed. See here:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=650

Which would correlate here:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/extracomics/comic.php?c=Coyote&p=31

So it was long enough to happen in Jeanne's lifetime, but that's an unknown amount of time, and likely before Jones joined the Court.