Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
The best kind of fanservice. Yes, I do like swords. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Over-analyzing the strategy in this particular bout seems a bit unnecessary, guys. It's a beautiful page with an excellent sense of motion. And swords. Swords are cool.

Also the longsword clearly has the range advantage as well as the advantage of being an actual weapon instead of sports equipment. Besides, the starting range is clearly too close for both fighters, and furthermore...
:goonsay:

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Oh man, all of these new avatars are making me seriously consider getting one of my own. You are awesome, Mystery Avatar Buyer. (Please don't get me one, though, I already made the image I want for myself.)

This might be a stupid question, but how do I get my gang tag to stay? I had a quick look at the custom title thing and it says comments can't have img-tags in them.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

I'm sure most of you read Tea-san's blog already, but everyone should check out the latest entry. Hello, new wallpaper.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Is it just me or do the glowy patterns on the teacher's clothes look somewhat like the weird etheric/scientific hybrid computer thing Anja and Donald have been doing occasionally?

This thing.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Congratulations, Tom! If any webcomic artist deserves to live off his comic, it's you.

I got the Coyote shirt for christmas, and it's awesome. I guess it's time to buy the other ones as well.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Today I learned the 4 master guards of Lichtenauer fencing. As I was doing "ochs" and "von tag" I couldn't help but think of Parley getting beaten by robot's "poignard" fencing. Tom knows his stuff.
Seriously. I'm constantly amazed by the amount of research that goes into this comic. This, and what we see of the sparring on the following pages, is still probably the best reference to historical fencing I've seen.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

This chapter. There's also the photo on this page earlier.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Wow, all the Coyote avatars on this page makes you realize how popular he is.

I can't disagree. Coyote is the best.
It doesn't hurt that pretty much everything with Coyote in it is excellent avatar material. The only reason I don't have a Coyote avatar is that swords are neat.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Okay so that's pretty creepy. :stare:

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Oneiros posted:

Oh, hey, Tea is back!

I guess heart monitors are just not as cool as swords.

Few things are.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Gosh, that is a beautiful page.

Bobulus posted:

You joke, but I could see the following days' comics rewinding through Jones's life until we find out more about her. That's a lot more visually interesting than Jones just telling Antimony stuff.
I really like this idea.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Kat and Dr. Disaster are going to flip the gently caress out and team up to form a really sciencey super villain for this comic.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

If those guys are nobodies, Jones just bossed up that spear hard enough to turn their eyes normal in the second-to-last panel.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Dude if you're going for Chinese, you could have gone for the ultimate example of this kind of thing.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Why not paste the whole classical poem, then, instead of a modern thing that's not even a working story and a riddle. :colbert:

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Mulva posted:

To be fair there's pretty much no place he could get stabbed there that would leave him able to move and talk and also kill him really quickly. It's basically lung or heart. Heart and he's off like a light-switch, lung and he gets to slowly drown in his own blood. Which is much less horrific when your teleporting girlfriend can instantly get you to a hospital. Then again dramatic narrative is a killer.
Being stabbed in the heart is surprisingly not always quite so immediate:

"The Dubious Quick Kill posted:

Anecdotes of duels fought with rapier, sabre, or smallsword, and forensic literature based upon present-day coroner's reports of homicides in which knives and other sharp instruments were used convincingly showed that mortal wounds to the major vessels and even to the heart itself do not always lead to instant incapacitation of the victim. The veracity of these accounts is supported by a 1961 survey conducted by Spitz, Petty and Russell which found that of seven victims stabbed in various regions of the heart, none expired immediately. While two were quickly incapacitated, the remaining five were not, and of these one, despite a two-centimeter incision in the left ventricle, walked a full city block, armed himself with a broken beer bottle, and collapsed only after he returned to the scene of the crime to re-engage the individual who had stabbed him.
The whole article is a pretty nice read if you're interested in this sort of thing, and goes over various other mechanisms of stab wounds to conclude that basically nothing you can do with a rapier or similar can be 100% expected to immediately drop your opponent, even if you pierce the brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

I thought that was a Children of Dune reference, drat.