Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So surprised no-one's avatarised the turquoise-haired girl on the bottom right of the penultimate panel. das incredibly :3:

And badger-girl needs a two-frame cutting back-and-forth one.

Loving the thread full of GK avatars. I'd post more here, but I haven't got round to getting one myself yet, and it feels somehow inappropriate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

I think he's a guy, all the guys appear to be animals and stuff, whereas the girls are fairies and dryards and suchlike. I think Red even mentioned something like this way back in the haircut chapter

The softer face lines make me think 'girl', but equally, it could just be the bride of Frankenstein hair that's throwing me. Either way, he/she is awesome.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Macaluso posted:

The saddest face :smith:

Want that av so much.

A Gol-Shogeg!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Want that av so much.

A Gol-Shogeg!

Thank you so very much mystery person. I shall now converse about Gunnerkrigg a lot (well, a little, the new page isn't til tomorrow :( ).

I have to say, the expressions are possibly the coolest thing about this chapter. I just love Red's multitudinous faces.

I just get the impression that attacks from deadly Gol-Shogegs! (or should that be Gols-Shogeg? unusual pluralisation is fun) are kinda mundane around here. Blue's just actin' out, she does it every week guuuuh.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

... I think Annie broke her.

Actually, I have to say, I think the thing which struck me about this page was how the etheric forms can really make the artwork flow. I just love the way Blue's hair swirls from one panel to the next down at the bottom there.

I have to say, I was also reminded slightly of Fight Club. His name was Robert Paulson. Her name is Red. Make of that what you will.

And once more (looking at the 'you don't know her name!?' page there), it strikes me how cool the artistic progression is in this comic - both seeing Tom grow prodigiously in skill, and seeing the art mature as the characters mature. It has so many levels.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bussamove posted:

D'awww, Red's so awestruck by her new name she's speechless! :3:

Sad Gol-Shogeg needs to show up again in a future arc. I don't care if it doesn't actually exist, love will find a way.

Sad Gol-Shogeg ain't goin nowhere, crumbum :P

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gawd, what a schmendrick.

Love that word, ty Tea-san.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dodgeball posted:

God drat if that doesn't show the art evolution perfectly.

Seriously, it's recognisably the same style, and the same feel, and the same emotion and expressiveness, but so much development in skill and technique.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I want the 'Blue gets a name' chapter now. With more ppppphhhhhbbbbttttthhhh etc.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nondevor posted:

Those faces are amazing. I also love that the teacher is encouraging the fight - the fairies are completely insane.

Or maybe they are the sanest of us all. Seriously.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

So... why can't they name each other?

Hmmmmm...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elftor posted:

Because they would all be named Fatty and Crumbum.

So... why can't they name each other?

(I don't see any problem with that, and you can bet they wouldn't either...)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wooooooah.

That's something, right there. I think Annie might be a bit broken this time...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Or, Annie's magicity is breaking the phone.

Those laptops in the fairy classroom were all broken, right? And all the... robots... nah, that can't be right, if Annie was Dresden-style walking techbane, then Jones wouldn't be working right now, right?

Or Robot, at least...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I'm confused. The word "hear" doesn't appear on that page at all?

These pages are just the most :3:est thing ever. I love Kat punching Muut. I love Mort's AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHWhat? I love the card.

Just :3: forever

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone wanna bet there will be some form of satellite-based laser in the next chapter?

Cos I do, and it will be awesome.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

So, the Annan Waters song by Kate Rusby is pretty cool, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joj4BqEfhis&feature=related

And huh, I never realised the Annan Waters were a non-Gunnerkrigg thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Annan

Thanks for the linkage, Tom.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

... I really want that portable hole.

Portable holes rock.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Zenzirouj posted:

Where can I get me some glasses that will do that

Spiderman's mask-maker evidently lives somewhere in the Black Country, and works at SpecSavers.

See, this stuff is what I really like about Tom's artwork - on first reading, I TOTALLY didn't notice that Donald's specs were being eyebrows - I just read the emotions in the scene. It's kinda subtle, and cool, and it works really well.

But poor Annie :ohdear:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Just popped in to say GO TOM GO.

I'm simultaneously very jealous and a bit :ohdear:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There was a DOOR Donny, you didn't need to go ripping open a hole in space-time all over everything and messing it up. Annie's pretty handy with the lockpicks, y'know.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The suavest computer. I wonder if he figured out how to do that after analysing Parley's powers of teleportation.

No, wait, Donald doesn't have a blinker stone he has a blinker pipe.

Awesome.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The key, key point here, is that it's NOT a get out of conflict free card, because most of the key, most vital conflicts in Gunnerkrigg are emotional conflicts which all the teleportation and wall-walk-through-ability won't do a dicky bird to. It's a phenomenally powerful piece of magitek, but it's one in a setting where people do little more than blink at things like a dude turning into a bird, THE ORIGINAL minotaur happening to exist and live in a flat somewhere in the Court, ridiculously human robots, LASER COWS, EVERYTHING Coyote does, Parley's power, Smitty's power (which is actually potentially a massively huge deal, way more so than simple teleportation), Jones wandering casually through walls, Eglamore doing runic magic, a literal Valkyrie teleporting about the place, a magically-animated cuddly toy containing the soul of a demigod-level being which can transform itself dramatically in form and size, etc etc etc etc etc.

It's a setting in which somewhat nebulous and not-defined-onscreen (though I'm sure Tom has it more than well-defined offscreen) magic or magic-level tech is available to virtually everyone. But it's a setting in which that magic can't deus ex machina the core conflicts, because the core conflicts are not ones the magic can affect. And because both sides in the core conflict have access to similar levels of supernaturally powerful power. TO sum up, the computer is no more or less nebulous or ill-defined in its nature or powers than virtually any of the other magic or supertech/magic we've seen. Indeed, it's probably quite a lot less so.

But your objection seems to be... what? That it COULD deus ex machina, maybe, at some point in the future? It hasn't been, and I would give Tom more than enough benefit of the doubt based on past writing, that it wouldn't be, even if it COULD be.

Anything has the potential to become a deus ex machina if a sufficiently lovely writer writes it. Most of the magic in GC could become deus ex machina if Tom were Mookie. But, thank gently caress, he's not, and to be honest, the comparison could be taken as a fairly major insult, given that Mookie is... well, Mookie.

</late night ramble>

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oneiros posted:

I took Taekwondo lessons as a child (about Annie's age in this scene, really) and let me tell you that if you don't have tough soles to begin with, you are in for a world of pain. I had blisters over more than 50% of the bottoms of both feet. Ended up with great callouses, though :v:.

I never got blisters with TKD. But I had tough-rear end feet anyway. And yeah, those do look like Tae Kwon Do doboks, but they would be blackbelt suits due to the black stripe round the edge.

But to the best of my knowledge, nobody I know taped their feet for TKD.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Van Kraken posted:

All of the doboks I've seen are closed in the front, like a t-shirt, rather than open like a jacket. I don't think we're really supposed to be able to tell which martial art it is.

The left lapel really should go over the right one, though

I definitely have seen a few of the jacket-style doboks, but the smock ones are more common for TKD due, I believe, to the lack of necessity for much in the way of grabbing them, so they don't have to be able to come apart without ripping. Sadly, I was about to comment on how the belt knots worked, but we can't see them.

It's been several years since I practiced, too. I'm such a dork.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

So I went to have a look at goblins. It's holding my attention, but does the art get worse as it goes along? :stare:

It varies wildly. The artist has picked up some skills since the first stages of the comic, but still is completely unable to draw faces in 3/4 view.

The story's OK, the art's OK, the humour is reasonably consistent, the update schedule is just hideous. It's an average-to-good comic, IMO, save for the wildly inconsistent update schedule. It's not a patch on Gunnerkrigg, though, in any of the above categories.

Sad Gol-Shogeg will be sadder if Thunt's constant blogging about this stupid contest makes him win it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fighting Trousers posted:

These two are just beautiful. (And I see that Instant Sunrise has either snapped one up or been visited by You-Know-What)

Not at all! I was thrilled to get mine. :3: Chibi Rey. :3:

How does Tom manage to cram that much emotion into that few lines?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fecha posted:

Hah, is that a subtle little jab at the "Donlan computer is too powerful" debate?
(Please don't start the debate again.)

I thought precisely the same thing. It's pretty funny.

Also, I really like the teleport effect Tom uses.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, drat. This is one hell of a great way to start a day.

Thanks a lot, Avatar Fairy! :D

Your av and Acebuckeye13's made the top of this page pretty cool. Stacked on top of each other like that, they rock.

We need to organise the GC avs and titles to make a page in which the avatars are the real conversation, rather than the posts.

:3: avatar fairies.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If emptyposting were not a bad thing, I think sad Gol-Shogeg alone would be enough.

:(

Tom, this is such a beautiful page.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

fosborb posted:

Yeah you kinda sound like Patrick Bateman here.

The art changed because it's impossible to draw 2-3 pages a week with this kind of detail for 5+ years and not have your art change.

Well, that too, OBviously :P

Tom got better at art and storytelling as the story progressed, but it's a cool reflection of the development of the characters from children into young adults that the art and storytelling DID keep pace with their growth so elegantly. So, whether on purpose or happy accident, it's still Pretty Cool™.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Idunn posted:

Has anyone claimed this yet? Also, any ideas for a good quote, anyone? I was thinking "That's it?" but it's so sad, I don't know... :smith:

'they flew away...'

Mildly less depressing?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Tom, for pricing your art, I would recommend you set some of them aside and sell them by silent auction, or something of a similar nature. This will help you determine the maximum price for this sort of piece, which will be useful information.

For the others, pretend you paid yourself a comfortable hourly wage for making them, and sell at 50% to 100% more than what they "cost" you, including materials. If you sell out quickly, then you'll know you need to increase the price next time. Every time you find you can't keep up with demand, redouble your prices.

If you're concerned about putting the prices too high for some of your audiences, then in addition to maintaining a broad spectrum of prices (put less markup on the smaller ones, for instance), then start selling reproductions.

This, all the way. Don't undersell yourself. At the risk of sounding like a shampoo advert, you're worth it.

I'd buy it, if I had wall space to hang it. In a heartbeat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fecha posted:

Serious question, is that Elgamore? (I guess it couldn't be anyone else.)

I totally thought the top left was the :3:est batman for a second there :D

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sadly, Kickstarter is not FOR the UK :britain:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

This shocked the crap out of me when I read it this morning. here was I expecting lightheartedly brutal Zimmy putdowns, and instead, awesome robot angel.

Tea-San, never stop.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I really hope this is a great secret like in awesome, rather than a great secret like in :ohdear:

But it's Coyote, so who can tell, really?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

"My great secret is, Annie, that I am your father!"
"Wait...what?"
"Just kidding! Or am I? Aaaahhahahahahahaha!!!"

"I am totally EVERYONE's father! Ahahahahahahaaaa I am so awesome!"

We're doing Coyote, right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Does Tim Curry work? He's in the same vein as many of the suggestions.
Really I can't imagine something so powerful or supernatural having such a clearly defined voice, it's more like some weird cacophonous multitude.

... Coyote as Dr Frank N Furter...

Mind. Blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yep, Surma was Surma Stibnite. With all the we can infer from that.