Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Really Pants posted:

Jones is a willowy blonde woman, and there's no debate whatsoever about how many trucks she eats for breakfast.

She actually just eats one double-decker bus for breakfast. Look how wrong you are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Lots of people see their lovers murdered before their eyes and they don't turn into spectral beings of pure hatred. Jeanne is just being overly dramatic.

Remember, what Steadman shot was no ordinary arrow.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Parley! :3:

also i met tom at nycc it was super cool

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Oh, Annie.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Pester posted:

Well, we've never seen a cell phone in GC and the internet is shiny and new. It must be the 90s.

Kat's been playing current video games and stuff.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Awwwwww. :3:

Good thing Kat dragged Annie off, I guess.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Jones owns.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Speculating about how Smitty's powers work is the new speculating how Reynardine's powers work.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

"The Carver girl? Is that how you think of her?"

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Hahaha the Court is so lovely to everyone, I guess.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I like how Anja and Kat are wearing matching bandanas. Dorkiness runs in the family, I guess.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Oh no, Annie! :ohdear:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Oh man, that comment about if Reynardine were Annie's father must stick out a lot more in light of what she's just learned about Reynardine and Surma.

Also not only is Antimony cheating, she's implicated Kat too. Why you gotta be such a jerk, Antimony? :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Weirdly enough, Annie seems much less disengaged-- not to mention a whole lot more animated and emotive-- when she's in the forest with Coyote.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Staggy posted:

The art is really shining through now; the distorted panels are used really well.
Annie is going to find someone - probably Kats mum - and tear the poo poo out of them. This will be interpreted by Kat as Annie Being A Butt, holiday trip never happens.

And Annie will be left at the Court all alone with Reynardine again. :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Oh my God, this is heartbreaking. :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Wandering Eye!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I'm gonna go with phoenix, since in addition to Surma burning out when Antimony is born, there's all the fire imagery associated with Antimony.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So, chapter page designed to make as many people wildly speculate as possible. The vines on Annie's arms are the Forest's attempts to bring her over to their side, and Annie's hair wrapped around Kat's arm is symbolic of the ties they have, that would lead to Kat going after Annie. They are holding gifts that the forest and court are offering to each other, which means the Court created the spiders in Zimmy's Birmingham. Aside from that, I've got nothing.

A lot of it probably indicates future events, too- past treatises were full of hints and allusions to the following chapters.

Just for reference:

First Treatise: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=121
Second Treatise: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=295
Third Treatise: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=560
Fourth Treatise: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=834

Note that in each one, Kat is a little more associated with the Court, and Annie's more associated with the forest, and the separation between Court and Forest is stronger.

EDIT: Kooooomiiiiiyaaaaaan :argh:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Tender Child Loins posted:

It's a little silly to analyze the treatise artwork for foreshadowing, because they seem to serve more as summaries of the "events thus far" than anything else.

Past treatises actually have had a lot of foreshadowing.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Unexpected EOF posted:

Is that... the King of All Cosmos?

It's the robot king, with the whiteboard face.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

MagnoliaPearl posted:

i made some improvements to a recent page, you're welcome!!!

i can see forever

baltos all the way down

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Elftor posted:

The crab is Annie's dad.

Crabthony.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

This was such an :unsmith: conclusion to the story.

Also, that plush Coyote is adorable.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Pastrymancy posted:

Forest dudes have pointy ears. I think he just moved :)

Kat's summer holiday letters to Annie mention her dad's relatives in Scotland, so yeah, he's just a Scottish guy, not some kind of weird forest mole or something.

Where does the thread get these ideas?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Brannock posted:

I really really don't think she's ageless here guys. She looks clearly younger in this last page, and her dress is making me think that she's an older student here, possibly in her last year - Head Girl?

Just because she's introducing Donny to Eglamore doesn't mean that she's a teacher.

My money's on earth elemental spirit.

She's way taller than Donny and Eglamore on that page, even though we know that Jones is really short-- so she must be a good deal older than them here. But in the present day pages, she looks younger than Eglamore and the rest of that generation of characters.

Also, her face has been drawn the same in all these flashback scenes, it's just her hair and clothes that are different.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I, for one, am just enjoying the procession of Jones historical fashions we're getting.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

"What did she call you? Miss Jones? Is that the latest name you've stolen, Wandering Eye?"

"Just Jones is fine."

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

This is the first page we've seen where there's nobody else around.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Fragrag posted:

That chapter has the Laser Cows in them, which we all can agree are the best

Thank you, Vegeta.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Anyway, it's cool seeing Kat and Annie working together to save Robot and all, but now I'm irrationally worried about Annie being late for whatever she was talking about on this page. :ohdear:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

113 is a significant number in Gunnerkrigg, of course.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

I sat down with my 3-year old to do crafts today. We were making toilet paper tube owls but as soon as I folded down the top of one to create the owl tufts this happened...

This is so adorable I can't even deal with it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ATP_Power posted:

So that's where we've seen it.

It's appeared a number of times in conjunction with Kat. We also see it in the second treatise, the third treatise and the fourth treatise. It probably shows up a bunch of other times, but I'd have to pore over the entire comic to do that and it's pretty late.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Was there ever any doubt?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Brightman posted:

Okay, so if the argument is being made that it's not for Annie due to the ambiguity of the mail announcement and it being Annie's room, then that sorta implies that it's not common knowledge that Kat is living there yet, at least not known by Lindsey (or whoever notified Annie over the speaker). So who knows that Kat is there? The robots might, but we don't know if that came up in conversation with them (or I'm forgetting). Also given the nature of the letter it seems likely that it's from a robot (so definitely not Jones), which makes it seem more likely that it's for the Angel, or it's just for Annie and from this guy.

Lindsay knows.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Jowj posted:

Can someone explain why they think there's a link between Kat/Theed Bithmouth? I'm not sure I follow this train of thought (but I only just started reading this thread, so I never looked as deep as I should've into a lot of the associations in this fuckin' comic).

In addition to the way Zimmy sees her resembling a less glowy version of the seed bismuth, there's a few other things linking her to it.

The seed bismuth is a combination of court science, forest magic, and nature itself.

Now think about what Kat's work is shaping up to be all about :

A synthesis of technology and life, to create something new.

Check out how Kat's artifice is depicted in the second treatise:

A hammer with the symbol for bismuth.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

While we're talking science fair entries, Antimony's project is another one of the many situations where saying, "Don't worry! It's not my blood!" is hardly reassuring.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Oh wow, where's that from?

EDIT: Oh, the image was a link! Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001