Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think I remember Tom saying that "Wandering Eye" was something he came up with for Jones and is not based on existing mythologies. This was in the context of people speculating about her being Hathor, the "wandering eye of Ra".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'd bet on bluff. I don't see Coyote going on a berserk rage. If Coyote wants to kill somebody, he's more likely IMO to engineer a situation where the target kill themselves in a dumb accident that they could have avoided if it weren't for their own personal failings.

He might, however, want to remind Annie that he is magnificent and terrifying.

Random observation: Ysengrin has ethereal glyphs on his face and on the cut ear, not on the intact ear.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zenzirouj posted:

A few more I guess

Unfortunately too large for avatarhood.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Tiny detail: on the left-most skull, a single tooth is detached from the jawbone. That's the sword tooth.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looks like we're going for the "what existence I have is only sustained by people telling stories about me" explanation.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Notice how, through the comic's entire run, Coyote hasn't really done any of the fantastic things attributed to him, only told stories about them?
Well, he did juggle his eyeballs, and there was the thing with the Moon.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Also, here it is flipped if you want something like that.

Flipped?

I have no idea why I did that.

Tollymain posted:

Zimmy sees Kat as some sort of terrifying mechanical inhuman being. Just saying :tinfoil:

A disease is often contagious. The Robots see Kat as an angel.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nettle Soup posted:

Now do the dog sitting still and Coyote flipping. :v:

Let's dance!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Conot posted:

Its absolutely related. Remember the scene where Annie mediates between the Black Dog and the Old man whose name I can't remember because he isn't the best psychopomp?

Mallt-y-Nos is a crone, not an old man.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Coylent Green is made out of people!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

I think that "what's left of them" simply means that people in the afterlives either end up wearing down or transcending into forms that are no longer recognizable as human souls and are then absorbed back into the aether. A little bit of cosmic horror for some there, I reckon.

I'm not sure it's more horrible than "no soul and afterlife at all". And hey, if you really want to linger around forever, you could sign up for a ghost program like Mort did.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ATP_Power posted:

An avatar gif of Coyote turning into a rock would be really cool.

Speed is a bit epileptic. Slower looks jaggy.

I thought about looking into some morphing software to make in-between frames so it'd be smoother, but that'd make it larger than 30kb.

Wait, I'm dumb:

Now it looks good.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 14, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Were Gods created by Man, or did they ethervolve naturally?

Ysengrin etherwolved unnaturally.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ysengrin isn't a god, he's just a folklore character. Coyote is the only god in the forest.

Ysengrin (and his wife Hersent) was typically the butt of all the jokes and tricks pulled by Renard, so of course the word "funny" wouldn't appeal to him much. Fun is pain and humiliation in all the stories humans have told about Ysengrin.

Which would be another reason for disliking the idea of having been born out of story. Ysengrin's fate and raison d'être, in that interpretation, really is that of being the universal buttmonkey. The one who gets tricked, maimed, mugged, beaten, cuckholded, and ridiculed with every new chapter.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Nah, it's just Annie's thing, you know?

It doesn't work on Kat yet because she's too technoscience-minded for etheric powers to be very efficient on her.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't think she's that badass yet. She's been so very cavalier recently that she needs to learn some humility. And I don't mean that in the "get savaged by a rabid folkloric wolf with a tree armor" sense, but in "need help from someone she doesn't respect" sense.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's also his job.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SynthOrange posted:

Kat totally killed that robot.

Jack completely killed that other robot.

Man, robots get the short end of the stick.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

VictorGrunn posted:

I think it's less him trying to hurt Annie, and more him trying to hurt Ysengrin (for whatever reason). He always intervenes to protect Annie, or he has so far. Ysengrin? He never STOPS hurting Ysengrin.

It's Ysengrin's role in a story to be hurt. Everybody is supposed to find it hilarious when it happens.

Ysengrin is all about strength, honor, and dignity. He parades and postures. Then he gets revealed to be weak, bestial, and ridiculous, and everybody laughs. It's how it works in the Renard stories.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 1, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Walker posted:

You mean from folklore?

Yep.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

1stGear posted:

You guys who are defending Antimony are mixing up what she eventually develops into with what she's initially presented as. In the first few chapters, she's talented at everything, gets out of every tight spot with uncommon ease, and there's no evidence of the social awkwardness that plagues her later on.

Talented at everything mostly because it's easy. Building the robot only involved assembling spare parts, for example. And it builds her up to get overconfident and cocky, with results that bite her in the butt several times.

As for the social awkwardness angle, just listen to the way she speaks. She gets more normal thanks to her interactions with Kat, but that will only highlight that she has no other friend (among humans).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

I'd imagine Coyote would stop him from crossing? Maybe?

I'd imagine Jeanne will stop him from crossing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PiotrLegnica posted:

Ysengrin and Coyote did cross the bridge, though. I think Jeanne only stops things from crossing directly at the river level.

Ah, but they had been welcomed via sky symbols and stuff. Ysengrin's visite, if he's pursuing them into the Court, will be unheralded.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I see she's still following Coyote's plan to the letter. He wanted her to go talk to Jones.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fister Roboto posted:

Ysengrin beefcake swimsuit calendar, calling it now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cabbit posted:

I was going to suggest android, but yeah.

But Donny Dons borrowed her cell phone! Why would she need a cell phone if she was herself a smartphone?

(:eng101: Also obviously she'd be a gynoid!)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dogbutt posted:

Jones is actually Boxbot from the future coming back to protect herself :tinfoil:

It makes so much sense! Boxbot is so terrible at being a robot because he's not a robot at all!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tea-san posted:

Then again, even stuff I assumed people would realise was a joke are considered lies. At the end of Chapter 13 I said the next chapter was going to be about monster trucks and electric guitars (because chpt 13 ended in a very sappy fashion), and even though I've long since deleted that comment, it's still brought up as "proof" that I'm a liar and that anything I say can't be trusted on my forum.
This reminds me of something.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Conot posted:

I wonder why Jones isn't the medium for the court, or if she is, why shes passing off the position.

Coyote publicly questioned Jone's impartiality and basically called her a sniveling lackey.

It doesn't seem like Jones would make a good medium for this reason. Her relationship with Coyote would be basically one of conflict.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
And the Vincent Price thing comes from here.

We need more screentime for Doctor Disaster. Or at least some Disaster Fun Time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm probably imagining it, but Jones reminds me an awful lot of Jeanne in this page.

Things that Jones is:
1. Not a robot.
2. Not Jeanne.
3. Not the girl in the photo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JT Jag posted:

Good point. Also, fire gutters out, but can spark a new flame before it does. I'm liking the idea that if she's an earth elemental, she cannot give birth, because stone does not produce more stone on its own.

But that means that if you break Jones in two or more, you'll get several smaller Jones.

INVASION OF THE MINI-JONES: Coming soon never on a haptic simulator near you.

e: Sorry, Dr Disaster fiercely vetoed the idea.

MikeJF posted:

Is there a technically gender-neutral neutral term, out of curioisty? Anthroid?

Robot.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

At the conclusion of this flashback series, we learn that the human race and, indeed, life, were created by Jones and only exist so that she could eventually bring around James.

In the Beginning was Jones, and Jones said "let there be Jimmy Jims", and lo, it took quite a while but Jimmy Jims was there eventually. And Jones saw that Jimmy Jims was good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ursine Asylum posted:

Oh drat, that makes me wonder if there's some sort of funky-rear end breeding program going on. :tinfoil:

Jones is the Bene Gesserit!

Jones doesn't seem to age because she just transfers her mind from clone to clone.

Eglamore is a necessary step on the way to the Kwisatz Haderach.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AE-35 Unit posted:

Based on Tom's link to filling factories, this is probably around WWII time, and Jones looks the same as she does age-wise in the (assumed) present. It's obviously significant, but for the life of me I can't understand what that significance is. I can't really see where this is going. It's going somewhere, but we (or just me) obviously still don't have enough information yet.

She took a sacred vow seriously, is all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
While her body doesn't seem to age, it seems that her mind does. Maybe her eternal poker face is because she had all emotions eroded away from her by the flow of time; and the only feelings she still seem to express are tinged with melancholy.

How many times can you get attached to a life only to see it all -- the people and place you loved, the things that framed your daily life -- fade away, as your friend wither and die and you have to move to a new place with a new identity?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Goffer posted:

since robots don't have those emotions
Oh no! A rude sentence! The rudest sentence!

Gunnerkrigg Court robots definitely have emotions.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bongo Bill posted:

So Elizabeth was not, as we speculated, her original identity. She just stayed there too long.

The name Samuel Langdon sounds familiar to me somehow. Do we know any such person?

Well, there was that guy, but he didn't seem to have an estate in Great Britain.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Youremother posted:

Now I really, really want to include the boxing glove robot the next time I ever GM a game of Paranoia.

I prefer oven mitts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Niton posted:

Jones is Jeanne.

D'arc

So she followed the anglois home so she could boute them some more?