Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I am totally calling the fact that Parley is pregnant. Why else would both Reynard and Coyote sniff their tummies and laugh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I try to use Gunnerkrieg Court as a reference point in a blog idea I'm making, and I need some things that Gunnerkreig does right, and some things is does bad.
"Everything and nothing" are not valid answers, although it's pretty close. I'm stumped as to what I can find as a flaw in this, aside from the art at the very start, but one of the points of my blog is to ilustrate how an artist improves over time, and Tom improved in heaps during the course of the comic. The fact that everytime I try to find something to rant about, I end up reading the whole thing start to finish doesn't help either.

I guess that I could try to make a point out of the overwhelming amount of sub-plots going on, but there really isn't anything too confusing, it all fits nicely together and the story is told in a clear way. The other thing I thought about is the art incosistency, like sometimes it's beautiful "Annie sets her hair on fire page", and others it's "two blobs with stickman faces on them panel". But that's really stretching it.

Could it be that this is the Pinnacle of Webcomics? A universal standard to which we shall compare all other comics for eternity? Or am I just bad at finding flaws?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Penguissimo posted:

Also you probably want to check the spelling of the comic's name before your blog post goes live. I don't know if that was an autocomplete flub or what, but it's Gunnerkrigg.

That was a typing flub, because I sometimes stop thinking when typing things for a 100th time :downs:

Yeah I wanted to point out that "Jones Is Old" thing, but I thought that it works when read in the archives. Thanks for the help, Boxbot Appreciation Station! :)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I support the theory that Kat knew about this, or set someone up to send that letter. Just look at her face in panel 3.

SHE KNOWS.
SHE PLOTS.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh snap I am so making this avatar asap. Need a caption for this though.

I love the splash. The girls will become the unifiers of the Forest and Court from the looks of it. I hope that sign with the heart on Kat doesn't mean something bad happening to her...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
This could be Red, who just took shape of Annie, as far as the expression is concerned.

Or we're in Zimmyworld again.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I'm still calling that this is actually Coyote shapeshifted as Annie, as an introduction to what Smitty will have to go through. :colbert:

Edward_Tohr posted:

And avatar-sized.

Snatching this for myself.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

This has been bugging me for a lil' bit: are people's Mort avatars disappearing or something? I'm just getting a blank 125x125 gif whenever I see posts from people who had them.

Well Mort IS a ghost after all...but yeah, I get the blank boxes too.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Haha, I thought so much. So what, now we switch perspective back to Annie? Or is it time for Kat to have her freakout and run to the forest? Cause we sure as hell ain't gonna see the rest of this scene on friday.

Unless this is what Tom wants us to think and Kat does accept Paz's affection, and all the fakeout theories are :tinfoil:

But seriously, last panel Paz is :3: as gently caress

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Splicer posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1133

Bottom left panel might have a different interpretation if this goes well.

:allears: Tea-san, master of forshadowing.

Speaking of, while re-reading the whole comic because someone linked to an early page (it's like a bad habit I can't drop dear God help me), I noticed another cool piece of forshadowing: The symbol appearing in the idea lightbulb is actually pretty similar identical to the mark of the creator the robots made on Kat's workshop

Kikas fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 22, 2013

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Seriously, some folks are waaaaay too excited about the recent developments in this comic.
Yeah, the comic had like what, 600 comments undearneath it? I like how Tom is sucking all the awkwardness out of this somehow. This reads really natural.

Podima posted:

Got a link for this? I am intrigued. :v:

Let's not turn into the CAD Mock Thread, yes?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

CrushedB posted:

Watch Bobby tell the other robots about this and spark a religious war.

Well we know what happened last time the Creator got tangled in a romantic relationship...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
OH MY GAWD :3: And it's the chapter end too! I had a feeling that among all those predictions about something bad happening Tom would never allow such a thing.

The :3: face. The Cutest Face.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Phy posted:

Well, I can't wait for when Paz officially meets Mort. "Aw, shucks, I didn't actually want your eyes."

So THAT is what he said back then...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I've re-read the chapter "Stone" again, and I can't but help to wonder - what does Jones look like when you look into the Ether near her? Is she a blank slate? Or does she retain her normal form?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

FutureSushi posted:

Also I was rereading earlier chapters and look who Kat casts a glance towards when getting her room with Annie.
And again, the author comment makes this page better in the light of recent events.

This is the best thing. Honestly, I was on the fence with my opinion of this storyline, but Tom managed to pull it of in a way smoother then I've ever seen it anywhere else. It didn't feel forced at all, and this is most important.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

AntimatterSpork posted:

Was there any indication that he knew beforehand? I don't remember that being mentioned.
It was VERY explicitly stated that Anthony was aware of what would happen.

It's from here if you wanna read on (and you should because those are some magical panel designs that Tom did :allears:): http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=804

Of course, this reminds me of this thing: if Annie has "her mothers flame" this means she has the same powers that her fire elemental ancestor. Since the Psychopomps had nothing to take, this means that Annie is "off cycle" so to speak, she will never "help the world spin", and she is basically the Ether personified. Doesn't this put her on par with COYOTE of all things?

Kikas fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 1, 2013

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The Red Queen posted:

So her body harvests ether in an attempt to manufacture a soul? Or maybe to just fill the ether vacuum?
If she's a black hole for the Ether, it could explain why Renard is mortified whenever "The Demon Child" is around.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Wait. How can Annie NOT know? The previous chapter was Kat telling her the whole thing from what I gathered.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Fighting Trousers posted:

Thankfully, the only person at the Court who can do a Level 3 collar pop is Smitty, and he only uses his powers for good.

There is always Winsbury, whose collar popped so much it opened up his shirt. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=937

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

GodFish posted:

Goddamn that panel four Hetty :catstare:

Yeah she's pretty scary looking there. :stare: I wish we knew more about her, but I don't think it would make her less frightening.
Like what the hell are those orange blips around her head? Cheeto dust?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Vartiter posted:

This is exactly what I thought of when she said that :3:

I think that this was an intended nod to Buff Renard.

Jeez Hettie, this is WAY more then just a prank.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Wikipedia has a pompous name for them. I don't see myself using "periorbital dark circles" in regular conversation. The other languages seem quite simpler: Augenringe, ojeras, betazpi, cerne, occhiaia, wallen... Polski's version sounds like a mouthful, though.

Yeah, that's the official polish name, the casual and more used name would be "eyesacks" when roughly translated. Adam looks like he's been through hell, Hetty isn't loving around. I hope he won't die or anything...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

AE-35 Unit posted:

Hetty is starting to look awful Zimmy-like. Also, unhinged, evil, etc.

Maybe she is somehow related to "that awful thing" that Zimmy cooked up for the Science Fair, back when Rey was being a menace. But then again he might have seen through that, and he wouldn't "get near anything that has anything to do with that demon", so it's a far-fetched theory.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Oh man, I didn't notice earlier, but in this comic Annie is actually without her makeup.
:v: Welp, time to re-read the archives to find other instances of that happening.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I think that if Hetty is set on fire, she'll run right into Adam trying to burn him, and Reynard will get in trouble. Or else nothing in this chapter be of consequence in the big picture other that some exposition.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Haledjian posted:

What if Annie's toy is filled with Renard AND Hetty from now on.

How annoying would that be.

Well, this is another way that this chapter could change the status quo.
I mean exposition is nice and all, but we got like 3 pages worth of that, if Hetty is just killed, then this is simply filler. So yeah, Annie having control of two spirits due to her fox thingy would be pretty rad.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

M.c.P posted:

Hating on that big fat jerk Tony Carver can bring anyone together. :colbert:
I wonder if Zimmy drops in from time to time.

SO. Bonus strip - will it cover what Adam is doing now, or what the girls have been up to?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Rasamune posted:

"Stand down, soldiers. Your eyes deceive you: This is no human, but a terrible fire-demon. Also, she has told me that she can beat any one of you sissies in single combat. Her words, not mine."
And then Annie whips out the Coyote Tooth and proceeds to kick everyone's rear end :black101:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

toxic8aker posted:

She almost looks like Zimmyvision-Kat, except she's so colorful and organic and full of life.

Following this and seeing how Coyote eventually split the lands with Annan Waters, maybe the seed bismuth also split into two? Like this is the Forest part of it, and the Court part of the seed is.. I dunno, Kat? Because the Court is all science :science:, so it needs a vassel to keep on creating, because weaving things out of thin air is pretty un-scientific.

Whatever is the answer, this is gonna get interesting now.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So it's like a splice between magic and technology, but does it exist in the Ether? How did humans will it to grow too fast, did they ask it or concentrate their minds on it like the WH40k Orkz? Did Coyote help in creating it? Is it Coyote? What happens when you lick it?

I love when something rises more questions then it answers :allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

I suggest "It gwew fwom the theed bithmuth"

Remember to make the title a link to Gunnerkrigg.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Believe me, "Something Wrong is going to happen" is pretty much a standard reaction to any Gunnerkigg strip. Tom is a master of deceit and strikes when we least expect it.

But yeah, this Seed Bismuth is getting a bit too happy about hearing of the Court still growing.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Angry Avocado posted:

I think Coyote's gonna jump in to save Annie from whatever the Seed is trying to pull here. It seems unlikely after what he tried to pull earlier, but at the same time who the hell really knows what his deal is.

Yes, he might do that. She's his new medium after all.

I assume this means an end to "the Seed is Coyote" theories. From the looks of it, Coyote doesn;t like the seed. Also "Bretheren". There are more seeds.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I kinda want to know more about the wasp. I'd guess that, assuming it's a parasite, it wanted to hitch a ride into the court because humans are easier prey. Using ether tricks to make someone think it's something else would probably work much better on people less in-tune with the ether.

Well it's a shame we probably won't know more about it now. Unless Coyote is willing to dump some exposition.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I love that the way her face is lacking detail now makes her look EXACTLY like the Fire Elementals in the flashbacks.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Holy hell that nose.
Is this the first time we actually see her profile or something?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I love how she looks at her sleeve and worries she "singed" her clothes a little bit while like half of the shirt on her back has been burned off. :v: To see Ysengrin so happy is absolutely amazing, and Annie has the best "I just got from the forest" clothes now with all the burn marks and blood. I wonder what happens next.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Roger Explosion posted:

You're right to say "friends" for now, Kat; those robots are just such gossiping hens.

Well from what we've seen, one could assume gossip is something that happens in the robot society.
I am certain that the laser cows gossip like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well now I know what I'm getting myself for x-mas.