Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm going to start reading gunnerkrigg court after seeing it referenced once too often on this forum. It had better be worth it, this is valuable wasting time I'm going to be not wasting. See you when I'm caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So, I'm all the way up to page 180, only like 1.100 to go. This is going fairly quick.

I'm liking it so far. It has a weird combo of mysterie and humor and I find myself liking Kat and Annie a lot. There's something...likeable about them. I like the art style simple but effective and Annie's hair pops out of the pages. I like the slow pacing, though the main reason to like it is because I'm ripping through the pages at a fast pace. I can't imagine how it would be if you have to wait between 2-4 days for the next page only to be done with it in 2 seconds and find out nothing really happened. :)
I just hope that we get slightly more answers, because now it seems a bit like Xfiles. One question is answered with a question which was afraid that it would be lonely so it brought it's friends. More questions.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Welp, all caught up even after I stalled for a bit to allow more comics to be made. Now I have to join you guys in waiting for each 3 second read to show up every two days. :(

It was a fun read and watching the art develop the way it did is amazing. The current style is very nice and makes me wonder where we're going.
The development of the characters both in looks/fashion and personality has also been a joy to read. :)
Happy I started on this and curious to see how the story develops further.

Not sure why everyone was so sad to see Mort go, nor why he has such a fanbase. He was fun, but he barely had a role. If it wasn't for the many avatars on this forum, I'd probably forget about him in the near future. :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Wha..? Who the gently caress would ever want to be human. Being human is like the most boring thing you can do.

Forest Krew 4 Lyfe

Reeeaally!?

But your hair doesn't stand on end naturally, which seems like a pretty bad thing to give up.

So Annie gets to play stomp the fairy?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tupperwarez posted:

"Your mind matters more than how fast you are or how strong you can bite."

Hm. You guys might wanna sit her down and tell her a little about human society...

The rabbit just really wants to be a basement dweller so those things don't matter. :unsmith:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Zimmy cleans up nicely. :) Is this a hidden message about girls needing guys. :tinfoil:

Just lamely joking obviously.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Going to parties with a tricycle. Always a great idea.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Rain calms Zimmy down due to the ether that comes down from the skies during the rain right? I wonder what tossing her in the ocean would accomplish.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

pksage posted:

I forget -- does ether exist in all water, just kind of hanging out, or is it collected and dispersed as part of evaporation/precipitation specifically? If it's the former, you'd think Zimmy could just take a shower and be fine.

Showers indeed don't work. It had to do with ether in the air being brought down by the rain, which made me wonder if that all ends up in the ocean.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I see no way making sailor-bot into a living bot can go wrong.

None.

It'll probably just get seasick and nothing but lunch will be lost.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hot skitty on wailord action boat on giant crab thing action?

Interesting development, I didn't see this coming and I look forward to where this is going. :confused:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

lovely Wizard posted:

Also I like how they duct taped the helmets on.

Safety first!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

It looks like the robots are :tipshat: at a very angry girl.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Robot used disable! It's super effective!

They came surprisingly well prepared.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if it looks different to her.

Or maybe she can see the magic holding it together.

Or maybe she just find it fascinating to see something like this on such a large scale.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Looks like a giant bird. What is it with Kat and birds.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Yep, looks like a bird alright. Look at this picture of a Beluga bird's skeleton.

I love birds. :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Kat is going to go all Bayonetta on the ship, except instead of hands of hair it'll be hands of flesh. :black101:
Though probably not since she's a scientist, so I fully expect her to try this insane plan.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Poor Annie, after she was done with the blinkerstone she really didn't do much to help. If only those robots didn't pack helmets.

I guess that's the end of this arc, I look forward to the next. I wonder when we'll be revisiting the ghost near the river subplot...or was that the mainplot.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

JT Jag posted:

The main 'plot', premise really, of this comic is about magic and science, and how they are different, and if they can co-exist. There are several figures that are symbolic of this main plot: Antimony and Kat, the Forest and the Court. The majority of this comic consists of a variety of subplots related to the main plot. Jeanne is one of the more important ones.

This may be down to a matter of definition, but I always felt that that was less of a plot as more of a theme or indeed premise. The way they've been discovering more and more about the background of the whole Jeanne thing and founding of the court, to mw, feels more like the main plot.

karmicknight posted:

We still have some chapter left (Note the lack of Chapter end symbol), though how much (and what it will cover) I have no loving clue.

oh right, I didn't notice that. Lets hope that it involves hugs for Anni. Get to it Reynard!

Ditocoaf posted:

Wait, huh? She's the one who actually destroyed the siphons, freeing the kids from the distortion. Others worked on an elaborate plot to make sure that Zimmy would get rained on as soon as possible afterward, but if anyone was crucial to the plan, Annie was.

I'm a bit hazy on the details, but didn't she just call other people to do it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Oh? Zimmy hates people in general and I don't get the feeling she's a fan of feeling grateful or indebted. She's also super jealous and insecure when it comes to Gamma. Completely dismissing what he did struck me as the smooth move to score points with Zimmy.

It was surprisingly human of her to at least try to thank everyone.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I still don't trust him, he's a bit to casual to the girl who loves him.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fecha posted:

Kat's reaction to all this seems really off to me. Isn't it clear that the robots are getting super weird about this whole bio-robotics experiment and maybe it's not a good idea? Why was she so blasé about helping the insane ship that had just attacked her friends? Is there not a huge court uproar about the robots rebelling and endangering the lives of a bunch of kids? Why was there no human supervision on the boat in the first place?

my thought exactly, the bots main goal wasn't to progress her research, but to have a giant crab and ship make kids.
It seems she might repeat the mistakes of her precursor.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I love living on the edge, I'm going to take my baby and go visit the shore.

Seagulls always seem to look angry.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That was a pretty badass looking secretary bird.

I take it Cityface visited the local zoo at some point, but missed the reptilian part.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The stars are telling City Face he has a destiny...maybe he should travel to go see some baby in a barn.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jackard posted:

Reread the page where Coyote eats Ysengrin's memory. Looks like the same technique used here.

I had forgotten what that looked like, I just figured he shape shifted since he could do that anyway. :shrug:

Willfully destroy your body? But the fairies needed someone else to terminate them didn't they? Didn't Ysengrin stomp them after Anni refused to drop a rock on them? They didn't do the destroying.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm guessing it was meant to be seen as "wilfully get their bodies destroyed". The point is that they absolutely have to want to get their bodies destroyed, if it happened by coincidence, it wouldn't work. How their bodies are destroyed is of no importance. At least, that's how I read it.
I was going to say the following:

Kgummy posted:

But suicide is cheating! So it does matter in one specific aspect. Though it does bring up the question of who made that rule.

It's probably just the wording being off or maybe we'll be visite the ex-fairies again at some point and this will come up again. Speaking of which, why didn't they get themselves killed by the murderous ghost thing?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

If that's the case, then why did Jeanne destroy those cameras Kat threw down?

Because she actually knows what cameras do? I like the theory that she didn't attack the hollow fairies due to the lack of soul, it jives with Annie's soul scar.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GodFish posted:

Is it just me or does Annie look like she has a bird head in panel 2?
Still better than a football. :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This explanation checks out.

I like that Annie's hair is all ruffled from the humidity.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Who needs Lindsey when you can have a loft.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
:geno: "Oh hello girlfriend of my best friend."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hremsfeld posted:

No one here's ever just sprawled on a couch when someone else was walking around? :confused:

And leave our soft underbellies exposed?!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wonder how often we'll see these robots. :shrug:

Did the court make them or the geek make them?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Daddy! I missed you!

I thought Vegeta was also wearing make up.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

kurona_bright posted:

He's really rubbing it in.

The art style change is interesting, though. Perhaps a childish art-style to reflect the change in Annie's mental state? All her memories of Anthony were when she was really young, right?

Or it could be a dream.

This is my guess as well, I love how he uses his art in this update.
Haven't you ever left a room in such a surreal state where it feels like your limbs are unwieldy as you walk away?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kassad posted:

The fact that Anthony said "the class will sit in silence until you return" makes me think it'll be pandemonium when she comes back. Or not and it'll keep getting worse :smith:

I used to have a teacher who could do that somehow. :ohdear: Anthony so far strikes me as someone who could make this happen as well.
On the other hand, my teacher was actually a pretty cool guy. He just had this weird charisma that caused everyone to sit up straight and do exactly what he was saying.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Do we create an angry lynching party now or do we wait a little longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

Well he's alive, and he's clearly messed with some pretty serious poo poo, so I don't know if you can really make that claim. Although at least he's not off sitting quietly in a chair by the fire reading after ditching his kid.

e: Seriously though except for "Really just an amazingly terrible father", this guy just keeps raising questions and giving us nothing about his life.

All of the kids were hard at work, seems like he was a good teacher. :shepface:

I really want to get this dick over with so we can see where this is going. :colbert: