Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

On my first read through, at Chapter 20: Coyotes Stories

This comic is really growing on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Umiapik posted:

Take your time! Rush through it and, when you catch up to the latest page, it'll be like going from bombing down a motorway at 90mph to suddenly hitting a gigantic tailback of stationary traffic. Eventually the tailback will begin to inch forward... At the rate of 3 new pages a week.

(It sucks bad, when you've become used to devouring 5 chapters a day)

On Chapter 33 now :gonk: It started slowly but I'm right sucked into it now. Also its nice having more 3d to the characters--seeing cheating Annie be quite a shocking bitch to her closest friend was reassuring somehow. I like my heroes with weaknesses

(I was also an archival reader in Homestuck, finally catching up with Hussie in time for Act 6 and then the megagigapause

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

GODDAMNIT IS THAT ALL THERE IS? :gonk:

welp :f5: it is

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

fffff posted:

e: What on earth happened to my cute babby avatar!?

Lowtax is playing with the buttons again

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Well one thing it did was show how Kat's ability with robotics extends to the etheric, similar to how easily she was able to deal with the last statement device/creature in the RotD. The ease with which she was able to mesh the two is reminiscent of her mother's computer. But yeah, this seemed pretty simple as far as dangers go

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kesper North posted:

...We're sure she is not talking to Paz, right?

I mean she might be mad at Paz for ruining her whale.

I had that thought but it makes little sense given her welcome back panel just a page or two ago

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

:golfclap:

I was wondering if someone would be able to work some photoshop magic on that last panel, there.

I was kind of expecting something more along the lines of (pardon the roughness of the work, its early):

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Fecha posted:

She certainly seemed interested in that elf.

And Jones, considering what we saw when Zimmy took her trip into her head

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I'm a hookworm!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

This reminds me...the cut on Annie's face. The other night I was thinking about it, and remembered the comment by one of the guides of the dead asking Annie if she ever wondered what drew her so to Jeanne. She immediately changed the subject. Coyote asked her directly about it, even going so far as whacking her on it, and she seemed incapable of thinking about it. Zimmy tore one off her face at another point, saying "it doesn't belong to her, not mine not mine!". Given she was marked by Jeanne originally, is it possible that this functioning as a bind, but also a plea for help from the part of Jeanne that isn't total rage ghost and who wishes to enter the ether?

Of course I was half asleep when I started wondering all of this but still.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Brightman posted:

Edit: I think someone said they imagined his doll form as being voiced by Gilbert Gottfried once, and now it's hard to get that outta my head.

That's actually how I imagine Coyote sounding

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

And who does the voice off camera belong to? Robot? Probably not because he's considered a "blasphemer" or whatever by the Seraphim, but still, he takes Kat very seriously

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

karmicknight posted:

Is he still considered a heretic? I would have thought he'd be incorporated into the canon as he is on good terms with Kat and the Seraphim has acknowledged Kat's divinity, as it were.
That's sort of how I remember it going down but I still have no idea how well Robot and the Seraphim are getting on since giving Kat the mark.

amishjosh posted:

wasn't robot a seraph model of some sort when he got rebuilt by annie originally? after the whole thing where they got shown around kat's lab they seemed to at least acknowledge that he may be right in his preaching.

maybe robot was just anxious to get the fleshbody project going again after kat got distracted by other things and wanted to do it in a way that wouldn't put it on him if things didn't work out.

This is sort of how I thought it might be going down, that the Seraphim recognize Robot was right all along and he is now leader not just of the Court bots but their cult or whatever as well.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

That's sort of how I remember it going down but I still have no idea how well Robot and the Seraphim are getting on since giving Kat the mark.

This is sort of how I thought it might be going down, that the Seraphim recognize Robot was right all along and he is now leader not just of the Court bots but their cult or whatever as well.

Guys we did it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Red Queen posted:

The grass is dead under Annie's feet, or actually maybe is just dirt. Wonder what that's conveying.

I think its meant to ground her directly on the element earth.

The robot's eyes are lit, they are following Kat, its not a graveyard by my reading. Just noticed how similar Kat's symbol is to the alchemical symbol for lead too--metal for robots?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kyte posted:

I'm particularly interested in Reynard appearing on Kat's side.

He's the nature/dog spirit that lives in the court

e. and the bottom of the image strikes me as the most important. Both Kat and Annie are planted on their either sides (Annie etheric, Kat the science of the court) but their histories and abilities bleed over onto the other side. Annie was raised in a hospital and is from the court and had her etheric spirit bound somehow; sciency Kat works most effectively when the ether is present (recall her at RotD. Now note below Kat and Annie. Human progress plows into the natural world, whereas nature always reaches out and breaks down human constructs, given enough time.

I read this as Kat and Annie are destined to break down the barrier between Court and woods because of their mixed backgrounds, breaking down the long standing stalemate between the two.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 31, 2014

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Splicer posted:

Could you rephrase this in some way because I have no idea what this sentence means and it's bothering me.

A, B, C,...
alpha, beta, gamma,...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kikas posted:

Or I might be completely off, because I just checked an internet polish name database and apparently there's "Gemma" as a lady name, huh. But I've never ever seen or even heard of anyone here having such a name, so it's still a non-polish name to me.

I know a couple of Gemmas but they are Italian

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Blackheart posted:

When I lived on the coast there were lots of Pelicans, they're chill. I dunno what is their toughness attribute however.

Pretty tough I bet

I've had to eat my french fries while hunched over them, sheltering them with one arm and flailing with the other to ward off sea gulls in Stanley Park. They are, indeed, super mean

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Chickens are pretty tough
http://julianware.com/main/wp-content/uploads/KarateKid.gif

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

The stars are telling City Face he has a destiny...maybe he should travel to go see some baby in a barn.

accessible through a broken window

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

I wonder if the reason he's here now is partly because his space bones failed.

I wonder if the medical gear that got sent to him wasn't to repair the damage from Zimmy's sucker punch

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

fatherdog posted:

The sucker punch story was after Microsat 5, not before.

So quantum mechanics then.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

What a poo poo

Really? Calling out and embarrassing her like that at the start of class, rather than handling it any other way?

Man this guy is a tool.

Think I found out who will catch Antimony cheating

GodFish posted:

Annie's cheating is going to get called out on isn't it :ohdear:
goddamnit

Fried Chicken posted:

OK, looking at it more closely, one i like Winsbury's face.

Secondly that's a bunch of scars Carver is sporting there. Broken nose, slashed lip, cut in the bridge of the nose, and what appears to be a few others among the wrinkles. Egalemore sports a few, but given all the tussles he has been in as defender of the Court that makes a bit of sense. I wonder what Carver did to get those, they are haphazard enough that they don't look like one incident, unless it was something like shards of something catching him in the face
Millwalls supporter?

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 16, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Reformed Pissboy posted:

SPECULATION: Tony and Surma discovered some dark secret about the court and vowed to bring it down from the inside. Once Surma passed, Tony made it his singular mission to raise his daughter to grow to take down everything the court stands for, and complete what he and Surma could not. Painfully, this means he has to hide this motivation and sacrifice his relationship with Annie in order to push her in the proper direction. Tony is therefore a sympathetic character acting for The Greater Good. :henget:

also wouldn't Annie not know about the split lip etc. if this was a dream ? ?

Counterpoint: he is on the fast track for the new Headmaster

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

he's changed art style to more simple before, this comes to mind for example http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1444

Agreed its not been quite the same here, but I accept the "reverting to a more childlike mental frame" than it being a dream sequence, which would cheapen this whole thing IMO

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Brightman posted:

Chapter is "Tree", picture of an apple. Annie is the apple, Anthony is the tree, this is a chapter about Anthony.....about Anthony being a tosser.

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree...unless you toss it

Boogaleeboo posted:

Oh poo poo, if he somehow becomes someone's boss during this chapter he can become a magnet for every hosed up issue people have with authority figures that let them down.
Anthony for Headmaster

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, so, what exactly is this guy's plan here? Is he trying to make Annie lose her temper so that he'll have an excuse to do... something?

I mean, he's dedicated the first fifteen minutes of his class to openly tormenting her in front of everybody. Teaching is evidently not a priority here, so he's got to have some kind of scheme.

Gotta admit, its a hell of a way to get folks to remember amino acid structure

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Cut to Kat, Annie bursts out of the room in tears, Kat enrages :goku:, and hundreds of Seraph bots rush in to "deal" with Anthony

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

YF-23 posted:

No, I think Anthony hosed up in failing to communicate that he'd do the surgery.

Yes that makes it assault

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rereading Microsat 5 was quite illuminating I think. This is going to be a rough ride for her.

e. er. rougher.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bell_ posted:

What are you, an ambulance chaser?

That comatose patient from a car accident couldn't consent!

Not an ambulance chaser, but married to one.

Good troll though, I almost serious posted on the difference between implied and informed consent!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

But when have we not had gimmick halls of residence?

Have to give Tom some :madprops: for creating a work that has provoked so much serious discussion about difficult topics. The maturity shown in the writing of a comic about kids is truly impressive

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

There is no possible scenario that makes what Anthony has done not abusive. None. YF's ridiculous "but what if this" lines of thought do not make what he did not abusive, they give him reasons for his abusive behavior. People are (for the most part) not saying that Anthony's been doing this for shits and giggles, just that it doesn't matter whatever reason he has that made him see fit to do what he's done, he is still an abusive father who has horribly hosed up Annie's psyche. Which, unlike what some people have said, is actually in the themes of the comic. We've already seen Diego, and Reynardine, and others do terrible, unjustifiable things in the name of love. At this point the question isn't really if that's the case with Anthony, it's a matter of learning the specifics of why he's done it all, and the full measure of what he's done; I have a feeling we're in for some more unpleasant revelations before this is over.

I just went back to the psychopomp story under the tree, and even way back then, in the hospital, Annie was brow beaten into not calling him "dad" but "da---father". At like 4 or whatever.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I have to wonder whether the Court's decision on Annie's status as their medium wasn't influenced by her cheating, and skipping out on detention as much as her just being too cozy with the forest/Coyote for their liking. Their intentions are still opaque as concrete

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I now expect Annie will deal with these developments in the mature, time-tested, true teen manner: she's going to run away from home

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Brightman posted:

Does it seem odd to anyone else that Anthony referred to him as Reynardine?

Not at all. Anthony is not one for nick names. Formality and all that.

Right Antimony?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Splicer posted:

Reynard is his real name, Reynardine is his nickname.

You sure about that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynardine

:shrug:

e. I mean I know Reynard also has a long history but which is ~correct~ isn't really spelled out in the comic is it?

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 6, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

maswastaken posted:

Renard is his name, Surma gives him the nickname Reynardine, being "the name of a demon who steals the hearts of young girls".

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=790

OK thanks for the clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

BottledBodhisvata posted:

As far as I can tell, Kat and Annie have been cast on polar sides of a conflict, and while Annie has been portrayed as the peace maker between the two sides, eventually them being separated is going to create what I assume to be the final conflict, as Kat will become the mad robot queen and Annie will become the burning symbol of nature's wrath at the cold nature of mankind. This could be the start of a big denouement.

This has me wondering...considering the story Coyote told about himself being the product of belief, could it be possible that the image the robot's belief about Kat will manifest itself as an entity independent of Kat? A sort of Court counterpart to Coyote.