Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lurdiak posted:

Can you blame them, the only humanoid body they know is other fairies. Humans look like pudgefests by comparison.

Hey, be nice. We're just big boned.

Edit: question about etiquette in this thread: there's lots of spoiler tags in the first few pages. Is that still a thing, and when are they used. For speculation?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

EmmyOk posted:

Now go shave your hair off

Plot twist: Annie is kidnapped from the Green Place and becomes Impirator to a megalomaniacal viking warlord.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sooner or later everyone who acts parental towards Annie is going to lose an arm.

Dr. Carver carved his arm off. Ysengrin had it torched off. Has anyone else lost a limb for Annie?

Coyote was willing to have Annie lose a limb if she told anyone in the Forest about the Toothsword, so I guess that makes him an anti-Father.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Surma lost her soul :ohdear: drat, this comic is dark!

I see Mort differently. He's a ghost Annie helped move on to the next stage of existence. He is... whole again? Back to the way things are supposed to be?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Starring Sean Connery and Nick Cage

Renard schpeaking with a Scottish accent is now cannon.

Edit: Ed Harris really would make a good Tony Carver.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 4, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Regy Rusty posted:

I hope poo poo gets back to being weird

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This research gives me the heebie-jeebies. "Okay, first thing I would like you to do, Robot, is stand still while I cut away half of your chest."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SynthOrange posted:

How do you fix a problem like robot.

Exterminate! Exterminate!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I have to wonder, is anyone in the Court paying attention to what Kat's doing? Or is all this flying under the radar?

The Court is man's attempt to become God, so I would guess Kat is right on track.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Oh tragically-misguided machine cultist, you funny guy you.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

For me, the most terrifying arc in Star Trek: The Next Generation was anything related to Lore's manic psychopathy or Data's batshit-insane mania when first trying out his emotions chip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK5gpoqyiNw&feature=youtu.be&t=2m35s

How Robot reacts long-term to the gradual increase in his mind and body's complexity is easily one of the best plots of this comic, particularly as we have some insight into how horribly misinterpreted (or correctly interpreted?) some of his spiritual premonitions are.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Carrasco posted:

What I'm getting out of this page is that Robot's battery is supplying the energy for all the arm's metabolic functions. Going a step further, maybe the "limiters" can be broken down into the materials to repair the arm, proportionately to how much more energy the arm needs.

Frankly, I don't see self-repair function without nanomachines. The gray goo death of the planet is coming.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lurdiak posted:

Grey goo is a stupid sci fi concept anyway.

How's that? I'm reading a series right now that's getting into the science fiction (emphasis on fiction) problems with getting nanomachines to replace damage control & repair crew on starship/warships. The author is keying off some nanotech metaphors that liken control of a massive colony of nanomachines to controlling the cells in an organism: even if the likelihood of a mutation / program error is slim and usually terminal for the individual nanomachine/cell, those few times it happens (and it will happen with billions and trillions of machines in a population) result in cancers that either break poo poo down at a higher level or result in endlessly-replicating tumors that can't be stopped. It's cool stuff!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SynthOrange posted:

And Kat hasnt even taught robot about pooping yet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There is a possible good ending to all this robospirituality stuff:

(Bumps hand a third time)
"Actually, this sucks. 2/10, would not recommend to my followers."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

JT Jag posted:

"Ms. Kat, disable my pain inhibitors."

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 15, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hremsfeld posted:

Error (syntax) at index 33: Missing param ';':ovr:

No end of line character needed. Love is unending.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kesper North posted:

"Shadow, I need to tell you that I sexually identify as a suicide Catalyst..."

My trigger words are "purple" and "daka daka daka."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beep boop I am posting about relationships.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nobody had any trouble when robot was going full bloodrage Raiden a few panels back. Why is this current emotion so hard to handle?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

But moving on is booooooring and mature and I'm on holiday.

Yeah yeah its that one poster.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Demiurge4 posted:

Jones could be from any point in that cycle and just suffers a memory wipe. But realistically (and I say this lightly in the GC universe) she has human form and therefore is probably tied in some way with how humans affect the ether and is a result of wet fan fiction in which a goony nerd dreamt up a woman "from before time."

Coyote seems to think he's the manifestation of humanity's fear of nature and death. I wonder if Jones is a manifestation of the forest creatures' fears of mankind's... tendency to observe nature? I wonder if the fact that humanity is into science and changing the world freaks them out. Jones is an indestructable watcher and an appropriately unstoppable force.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That actually makes a lot more sense.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hey shadow boy, you can't go where the others go
'Cause you don't look like they do

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It may be implied here that, with her blinker stone, Annie may have been only band-aiding herself with respect to her temper and identity this entire time--even before Anthony Carver came back.

I think -- THINK -- this is the first time she's actually dealt directly with her fury on a daily basis. Have we seen her short-fuse zap people and things like this before?

Operative word there is *short* fuse. She's been mad before, but it's always been a build up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

http://strawpoll.me/6761592

The correlation between GC and DBZ seems strong in this thread. I wonder if it's an actual thing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mommy the future is uncertain Gunnerkrigg is going on a limb for a bit with the plot I'm aware plot excursions like this have been used as a narrative tool in the past by the master storyteller Tom to get the reader to also feel uncertain and things have always been explained in the past once the excursion was over but this is about annies sexuality and sexuality makes me uncomfortable I am a goon.

Uthor posted:

Half? It's hard to tell these days. I spend a lot of time on tumblr, after all.

Don't do that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

No fewer than two meltdowns. Can I get a third?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1628

It was very considerate of Kat to wear a tacky Court trenchcoat like Annie would, keeping annie from feeling like the odd one out. Annie's wardrobe is limited these days -- her father probably doesn't want her to dress like a forest resident anymore. Kat knows this and kept Annie from feeling like a sore thumb with her already-estranged friends. The amount of thought the author puts into this. . .

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 13, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's a Namekian dragonball.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Help Vegeta find his balls.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

^^^ I wonder what those friends think will happen. It's not like Annie and Vegeta hang out ever.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WilliamAnderson posted:

"It doesn't make a bit of difference Annie. His balls are inert"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I too am ready for Annie and get friends to get this right.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's not dumb at all. The other students in the story around comic 930ish picked up on J and W regarding each other lovingly almost instantly. They aren't blind--it just seems the others were led astray by a clearly-hyperbolic story.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Your avatar works just fine.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dammit Janet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Teen-age mu-tant eth-er weird-os