Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Maybe the point is that they fused so they can go talk to her dad, and that's why she's moving with such purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It's weird coming into this thread fresh because I've been reading Gunnerkrigg Court forever and rarely see what other people are saying about it, and from my perspective, I have disliked Annie being two people ever since it happened. So, in some way, if this were permanent it would be kind of a relief to me.

I sort of doubt it's permanent, personally, but if it was it would be bad to me mostly just because it seemed to happen out of nowhere off camera. Hopefully, that is not the case, and there is more to it.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Look guys either they are both dead or neither are dead. Analogies about twins and stuff are going to fail because fusion and alternate timelines are not a real world thing that happens.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

And Tyler Too! posted:

gunnerkrigg court is passing into pacific rim, nu-annie is a jaeger and court/forest annies are simultaneously piloting her waiting for the boxbot kaiju to reveal itself so they can punch it to death

I'd like it if they punched Loup to death.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Are the people that keep saying that Courtnie specifically is dead joking or are they serious? Because that take in particular makes no sense to me.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

If a character, who has a unique role and effect on the plot and who's very existence creates an interesting dynamic with other characters, is then permanently removed from that plot to return the story to a similar dynamic prior to their introduction, then that character is functionally dead for the purposes of the story, regardless of if it they are actually "dead" by whatever metric that story cares to use.

Courtnie died on the way to her home planet, for all it matters now to the readers and the author if this sticks as it increasingly appears to.

I guess you can say that, if you think Courtnie's only character trait/effect on the story is wearing makeup and everything else is exclusively Fannie's domain.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Yeah I agree with that, for sure. I tried rereading the chapter all at once and it didn't really make the pacing feel better. It seems like the Annies were building to some sort of climax with their fight but then that gets put aside for Reynard's conversation and things get derailed into random Zimmyscape stuff (like the part about the elf dude having the hots for the elf girl) and then suddenly we're back to Annie and her situation has resolved off camera.

Regardless of where this is going that didn't feel great, narratively.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

skaianDestiny posted:

I dunno if the previous example of 2 entities being merged into one said that both of the constituent parts are dead and one of said constituent parts agrees then you can forgive people for assuming that the same would hold for the 2nd example.

My point actually was that people seemed to think Courtnie was dead but Fannie wasn't. My argument is that either they are both dead or neither of them are. Deciding that Courtnie is specifically dead but Fannie is not is just bizarre.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Idk why you guys assume that Annie saying a thing, a character famous for deluding herself, in the middle of an incomplete chapter means that her take away is the objective moral of the story. Because Annie has always been such a perfectly rationale person.

Like a bunch of people reacted like Annie fusing was definitely being completely brushed off and based on this chapter it clearly isn't so "wait and see" isn't a completely unreasonable approach.

Riot Bus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 13, 2021

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Maybe Kat is Omega.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I'm glad the there is only one Annie.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

worm girl posted:

I don't really get the point of the two Annies thing. The character had an established duality between her somewhat emotionless human self and her uncontrollable fire self already, and that was resolved organically with Ysengrin smashing her blinker stone. Court and Forest Annie split, had a single meaningful conversation, and then fused back together. Now we're following the new Annie and it's not totally clear what kind of person she has become.

Also, why did Loup duplicate her in the first place? It could have been proximal to a point about multiverse theory and determinism or something, but then it just ended.

For me that's what my issue with the last few chapters is. Things are just sort of happening without being narratively satisfying. Gunnerkrigg was always character driven and when it tries to do plot I think it's less interesting.

I don't really get it, either, and for me, Annie splitting was around the time the comic stopped being as approachable for me. Up until the point that Court Annie was confirmed to be a real Annie, I could follow Annie's character. Since the first time there was a time skip with the two Annies hanging out all the time and getting along I haven't really been able to tell what either of them is thinking. The only lens it was relevant through was in terms of Tony's behavior towards them, and even then, they didn't seem to have any conflict with each other about it.

It went from having one protagonist I understand to two protagonists I don't. And now that there is only one Annie I still don't feel super in tune with her, but it's at least better than when there were two.

Yet, I feel like the Annie split COULD have been an interesting thing, were it not for the fact that, yeah, we already did the whole "Court Annie vs Fire Annie" thing. And with the two Annies, it was even less clear what either one of them represented. If the Annies had actually had any conflicts with each other since their first meeting it could have been a valuable exploration of her feelings about her mother, but they really didn't? The first time they really SAID anything about that conflict in letting go and holding was in the chapter they fused, and that didn't even seem like an organic climax to their interactions so much as a random fight that happened because of brain fuckery.

If there had been more actual tension between the Annies it would have made more sense. Up until that point, they'd seemed perfectly in tune with each other. In the end, all having two Annies did was make me feel more distant from the character, and so I'm glad it's over.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

worm girl posted:

50/50 for me, I'm sure her expressions will make sense in retrospect but she has seemed kind of wowed by him, though there's a notable lack of the usual blushing that signifies that sort of thing in this comic (in the same scene even).

I also wonder whether Jerrek was created wholecloth or if Loup is just riding him - if you go back to the chapter where Robot was helping Pipebot design his body, you can see a red mark on Pipebot that doesn't match anything on his original design, but grows into a stripe like Loup and Coyote's when he becomes an oarfish. If that's the case and Annie has clocked him, she might realize that he's basically got a hostage.

That would explain her continuing to indulge the conversation at least.

We do see him decide to turn into a robot guy and then do so on this page:
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2582

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Going to or creating a new dimension with different rules or something would definitely make the most sense, narratively.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

worm girl posted:

So unless I'm off base it makes sense to me, just not in the way it's being presented. I don't have a problem with the core direction the story's gone in, it's just being told awkwardly and in a way that has hit the audience with a bunch of frivolous and repetitive nonsense while the main plot happens offscreen.

Yeah, I could see Kat as making some sort of argument about how much good she could achieve if she was allowed to dd what she wanted or something... but I feel like it's really falling apart because she's being so non-specific about what rules she is interested in shirking. Based on the text itself I would assume she means the standard scientific "rules" as it were, since it wouldn't make any sense for her to be daydreaming about being able to experiment with etheric stuff all she wanted when this new place won't even allow it.

As it is this newest page makes it feel like she suddenly transformed into a strawman for her own argument with her logic essentially boiled down to "all you have to do is not be bad and everything will be fine". This is especially weird when she seemed unhappy with the Court's ethical decisions on so many occasions already, some of which she was deeply affected by.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
sighs and throws hat on the ground

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

GunnerJ posted:

Her best friend makes artifical living bodies all the time so idk

This is only allowed if Kat makes his body a fox kemonomimi.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Potsticker posted:

Zimmy (Zimmy)

As much as we all may hate it the truer adaptation of this is "Tony (Tony)" given how Vriska was famed for inspiring pages and pages of furious discourse over whether or not she was the worst. Zimmy is basically just uncontroversially popular and has never actually done anything evil to argue about.

EDIT: also one could draw a connection between the way Vriska and Tony both sometimes came across as being pet characters that the whole story became about. Difference being that Hussie doubled down on it.

Riot Bus fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 30, 2022

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Potsticker posted:

I don't remember any character looking at the camera and saying that Vriska doing hosed up poo poo was actually okay.

tbf I never did finish Homestuck so maybe that did happen.

It did actually happen, yes. The entire narrative actually rewrote itself to justify her behavior.

Also YMMV over whether Vriska was ever likeable. Many would disagree. Including me. I do actually find Tony more likeable than her.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Yeah I'm not sure why Annie is so offended by this conceptually since as far as she knows it won't affect her. Unless the Court just vanishes and she doesn't have a house anymore which would certainly be inconvenient but she is allowed to go somewhere else. It's not like fairies would even want to go to the new planet considering their entire culture is routed in aether. It'd be like going to a planet where light doesn't exist.

Also I just realized that the plan is just that they want to go to a planet that is just regular Earth as we understand it IRL and I'm just like "don't do it, non-magical Earth isn't any better".

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Joe Slowboat posted:

Unfortunately, given that in the past he had both romantic and comedic bits that worked well!
But the specific thing he’s doing here is really really weak.

Yeah like honestly "Get Lost" (the chapter about how Tony and Surma fell in love) is one of my favourite chapters in the entire thing and I've reread it on its own several times. And that's as someone who loving hated Tony at that point in the story. I thought that it was great.

In contrast, there are a lot of factors making this whole Loup love triangle thing unpleasant. The foundation of it is just kind of messed up.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I like Loup's weird faces tbh.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It amuses me that all of the characters in the outer panels are wearing robes except for Zimmy and Gamma who are just dressed normally.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I love that "Lana is the goose wife" is a theory that can be made about this comic.

I'm not totally sure how it would feel if all this nonsense had just been Loup RPing with himself tho.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Does she mean that it was calibrated to only have a meaningful effect on someone of Coyote's power level?? That would sorta make sense since the only other person affected was Zimmy who is probably the next in line when it comes to sheer power scope.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I miss Ysengrin. :(

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
The last time Jack was in the story Tony hadn't even been introduced to the cast yet.

This makes me sad somehow.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
In Jack's defense he's the OG 'haha' boy. It's genuinely a dialogue tick of his.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I mean ultimately the joke is that "sometimes teenagers have goth phases and then grow out of it" so I don't think there is any sinister intent behind that.

I do like that she still has the same aura despite going for a completely different look.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
The thing is, I love Jack and Jenny.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

GunnerJ posted:

When you put it like that, the fact that Annie is single and has no clear love interest is really strange. (We know she's had a crush on someone though so it's not some kind of ace representation.) Like all these characters around her are paired off, but the fact that she's not isn't even a plot point or relevant to her character development or motives at all. Is that weird? Not even saying it's bad, just kinda conspicuous.

I wouldn't say that's weird. She's not even an adult yet. It's extremely possible to make it through highschool without ever having any romantic interests. It's also possible to delude yourself into thinking you have a romantic crush just because you really like or respect someone.

Also the comic has put a spotlight on how Annie is single while everyone else is hooking up before. You don't need it to be a plot point or character motive to justify a teenager not hooking up. I always just saw it as her being a little off beat socially, just like she's always been. She clearly has a bit of baggage when it comes to romance.

EDIT: Thinking on it, Annie has been shown to have a weird relationship with romance several times now. She flipped out at Mort when she found out that blinker stones were traditionally a romantic gift. She tried to seduce Jack just so she could blow him off as a confused kind of revenge, and then afterwards decided she wanted to kiss him for real and then was rejected.

That, and the very idea of her settling down with someone and having kids is innately tied to her premature death. I really don't think her being single right now is strange narratively.

Riot Bus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 26, 2022

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Yeah, honestly, all my problems with the comic right now come from how low-stakes everything feels. The only thing explicitly bad that is happening right now is that the Court might try to hurt Zimmy to accomplish its schemes. Even Loup isn't really doing anything bad right now and hasn't been for a while. It feels like the plot has been indefinitely postponed while people nebulously search for things (like looking for Zimmy or Loup looking for Omega.)

It does seem like the narrative is trying to draw a line here, saying that Annie is important because Loup is specifically her business. But now that Lana arguably has way more influence over him and Loup isn't as interested in doing whatever thing he's actually here for... goodness. I just wish there was some kind of threat that was actually specific and looming as opposed to a bunch of vague hypotheticals.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Yeah, there are definitely options. There are a lot of things about the Court's plans that are hosed up in a more subtle way, but since none of the character's are talking about them, it's hard to know why they care. All Annie could come up with was "what if the faeries want to come" when they clearly wouldn't want to. The question of "what will happen to all of the Court's wards when the leadership fucks off?" hasn't been pointed out or answered.

Ultimately, it's an issue that none of the characters we care about are going. We don't have any characters who are going who can express reasons for going that are sympathetic or interesting. It's just referenced that some people are going, but those people are largely irrelevant.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
People talking about how the Omega conversation should have happened on screen have me just like...

drat I can't believe I miss Tony.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I didn't even mind the Mind Cage and I was honestly glad Annie stopped being two people. I just wish that the story hadn't completely lost its momentum after that. And I wish we could have seen the change in Tony and Annie's relationship rather than just having both of them telling us about it separately.

I think for me the problem is just that the reveal about the Court's ultimate goals isn't what I wanted and I find the truth of the whole mystery kind of boring and meandering on a motivation level. I guess that's the trouble with the decades long slow burn release of a story. I really wish that my tastes had aligned with Tom's endgame here.

Really the main thing I'm holding onto rn is that I hope whatever Kat does is hosed up because the robot cult has been my favorite plotline. So if that pays off it will be nice.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

CodfishCartographer posted:

Mostly unrelated to your post, but one thing I do like from this chapter is that in this page, the knife is giggling. It's a nice little touch, I wonder if it did anything like that previously?

Can confirm it's always giggled!

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Youremother posted:

I caught up with this strip relatively recently and didn't think it was that bad. I left off right around chapter 43 and didn't think a lot of the stuff after that was that bad. I didn't even think The Mind Cage was that bad. I saw the thread was ripping the comic apart and wanted to think it was regular goon cynicism.

This latest stuff with the star ocean, though, jesus this is horrible. What the hell happened

It seems like a lot of us who were holding out through the Mind Cage were broken by the star ocean reveal.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

BobTheJanitor posted:

Holding out hope that everything from this page onwards will turn out to be one giant bad dream Zimmy hallucination. :v:

Yeah, as much as there's been plenty of stuff I really enjoyed that took place after Tony's arrival in the plot, Gunnerkrigg's highest point for me was probably The Shattered Sea. Tony's intro was just unbearable to read through when it was playing out in real time.

As it is, I find myself looking back fondly to the Tony era, because though it was frustrating at least it had some interesting high points and seemed like it could be going somewhere cool.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I don't know why Paz is just going to sit here and cry when she didn't voice a single word against this idea. Like wow, if only they could have done something to stop her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Ok wtf is going on in this scene emotionally. Unless Paz activates a trap card I have no idea what her angle on this is.