Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
If you live in a capital-c City how often do you see the borders? You could live your whole life in NYC, London, LA, Paris, Chicago, etc etc without leaving, and certainly if you followed the lives of kids growing up in one the world outside of it just wouldn't ever rate mention if they didn't have family to visit outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The √-1 st wall :pseudo:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm with the school of thought that as fairies they just aren't all that concerned by 'mortal' terror

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Brannock posted:

Anthony Carver, the comic's ultimate villain.

The static in the speech bubble, the chapter title and the shock and desperate attempt to track him down on the part of all the adults nearby gives off a super villain vibe. Dr. Wily-ish (so he is responsible for boxbot!)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

I don't get it.

He closed it, in preparation for leaving.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Walker posted:

The fact that Anthony and Surma have a kid together just seems stranger and stranger, particularly when you take into account that the two of them seem to lose contact with the rest of the group during Antimony's childhood. That's going to be an interesting chapter to read, though not necessarily a fun one.

I don't recall that we've read anything about them getting together during school and plenty of total prats as children grow out of it as adults. Though with Anthony Carver it looks like he may have just grown into an entire different type of prat.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Phy posted:

Perhaps he just didn't fancy Eglamore. :v:

He's got terrible taste then :swoon:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Waffnuffly posted:

I love how he acts like he's opening the door via the handle and just seamlessly transitions into using his magic door instead.

If you had a magic door would you ever use normal ones?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

Somehow I get the feeling he's not just running a clinic somewhere; this is giving off some seriously sinister vibes. There aren't many other ethical things a person can do with that many sterile disposable blades.

I've had the idle thought 'maybe he's Dr. Wily' since the static background on his speech bubble and it just keeps getting hammered in.

Why are you helping a mad scientist Donny :ohdear:

(I jest, but not that much)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Little did we realize the microsat was orbiting mars

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

FronzelNeekburm posted:

She always has an excuse for him. :smith:

It's really, really believable in the worst way. It takes a lot of emotional work for a kid to move from excuses to anger at a negligent (or abusive, though that doesn't seem to be the case here thank god) parent.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Renaissance Robot posted:

There's always "simulant" if you feel like continuing the long standing tradition of adopting [varyingly] made up words from science fiction for general use.

Let's not forget Replicant! Or reploid :haw:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Paramemetic posted:

I'm throwing my lot in with the idea that Jones is a sort of emanation of the very Universe itself. Not really human, but in a human form. She's standing outside of time and has known the entire history of the Universe in her primordial state from its beginning to its end all along. She's in a human form because she knew what humans would look like before they existed (that is, if we're even supposed to understand her as physically in that form in this history). Her purpose as such a being is to observe on behalf of the Universe to make sure everything is following the Rules, which is why she's lurking around the Court - they are up to something unnatural, attempting to achieve Godhood on their own and she is there to make sure they don't disrupt the fabric of space-time in the process.

She may also not necessarily be in this actual form, I mean, this is an artistic medium telling a story and while she appears to keep the same form all the way back to the formation of the planet, that could just be Tom's way of representing her because it's really hard to draw things that have no Form. She's there but not physically. She's incarnated physically now because it's expedient but back then it would have been less expedient.

But again even if she is physically there in that form, that's okay, because she's not born of mortal flesh and since she stands outside of time (an observer to infinity) she could see any number of potential forms to take.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Well played, Mr. Siddell.

Hopefully on Friday we'll get to see more of an actual answer.

I hope you have not actually been anticipating getting an answer!

'What is Jones?' is not a useful question. 'Who is Jones?' is and the whole chapter was answering that.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

Or before Coyote put the stars in the sky, it was just filled with billions of gigantic balls of gas undergoing nuclear fusion.

I'm going with this one.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wili posted:

I refuse to believe either Jones or you, Tom! This must be genuine trust and understanding.

This is the hell that David Chalmers has wrought.

Welcome to Philosophy of Mind :getin:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

M.c.P posted:

But I wonder if she understand what that entails if it gets put to the test.

Kat probably doesn't understand that! It'd be really depressing if she did.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Napoleon was an commander of artillery before he conquered Europe.

I'm not saying the artilleryman is Napoleon but I'm not saying the artilleryman is not Napoleon :histdowns:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That is an intimidating eyebrowsman.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hremsfeld posted:

Jack seems surprisingly chipper about ending up in Braintown again.

Jack is pretty much an adventurer so he knew he'd end up there again sometime, that's just how these things work.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Super cool detail: Annie's omnipresent spirit hair is destroyed when in contact with coyote's teeth :hellyeah:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Boogaleeboo posted:

I mean clearly he's not the greatest father in the world due to his crippling lack of competence at dealing with emotion, but I don't get what makes people think he's going to be a total monster. He's just kind of poo poo being a person. It's not a war crime or anything.

I'm pretty cool with considering a father whose response to his wife dying is to abandon his young daughter a monster, tbh. Maybe just replace 'kind of' with 'extremely god drat' before poo poo person.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The worst part is that since one of the few traits that have been expressed about Anthony other than his concentrated awfulness in every way is that he studies martial arts, so very few of the cast could reasonably succeed at punching him in the face.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Itzena posted:

No, I don't think this is being resolved in this chapter. We're going to get at least one chapter sans Annie, probably more.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this is the central conflict whose resolution takes the entire rest of the comic to achieve and everything up to now was setting the scene.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tenebrais posted:

Tony Carver is an abusive dad. He is probably not trying to hurt Annie, and has her best interests at heart, but he can't handle the responsibility. Good intentions do not excuse bad results. Bad results do not erase good intentions.

Rereading The Stone recently, Surma explicitly chose Tony over Jimmy Jims. Whatever her reason for choosing him, she at least had one; it wasn't just a case of him being the only human male around when fire needed to spread.

Definitely looks like sincere love between them too.

alternatively

Rand Brittain posted:

[ ] - He was super hot when he was 19

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Moddington posted:

Are there? Where are they doing that?

I'd like it if you'd point it out.

I used the word monster once!

Plenty of humans are monstrous despite being people with understandable motivations but it was a bridge too far for the thread.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Since the worst thing that could possibly happen is Anthony being in the other room and coming in right now to stomp on Kat's attempt to get through to Annie that's pretty much what I expect to happen.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Brightman posted:

Reality: It's none of those and Tony is just a weirdo jerk.

Not only is spending your evenings doing nothing but sitting quietly incredibly weird, he's theoretically a teacher but does no actual work in the evenings (otherwise some of the papers would have to be his).

Keeping your daughter in a giant blank laboratory is one thing but not having any paperwork to do as a teacher needs an explanation, tony :colbert:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Brightman posted:

Just Antimony's papers. He might not be bringing work home with him, could just all be in the classroom.

A teacher not having to work at home is a crazier theory than tony being a robot simulacra imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Stormgale posted:

It slightly ruined the emotional tone of this scene but all I could think of the final panel (with the eye effects) was: Multi-Psychopomp Drifting

i went immediately to jojo

awaken, my masters