Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I've found Robox, but Boxbot is still eluding me... I hope he wasn't too terrible to include.

Didn't show up. He keeps missing all these important things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I caught up on page 3 or 4 of the current chapter. I hold that that was the loving worst, because it's just, sweet, gotta see where this poo poo's going! Oh gently caress she's in a hospital bed in a coma! Wait why is the "next" button gray? Noooooooo!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Fried Chicken posted:

And all the teeth are there. Coyote is short one, and there isn't a pebble in the socket there. Or was that all a trick? :tinfoil:

He stuck the pebble in there and it turned into a tooth. I don't think he's missing one anymore.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Elysiume posted:

I like that Annie is being bolder. She's been threatened by a god and deceived by the Court and came through it all the stronger. I can't say I blame her for a bit of arrogance or rebelliousness.

She's come through it all the stronger, but she's still dealing with a Trickster God and a shadowy organization that has an almost Big Brother-esque system of control over its citizenry. She'd do well to know her place.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Gunnerkrigg doesn't seem that way to us, but she doesn't know that. Though in a kinda sometimes annoying reversal of the normal fortunes, she does know more than we do at this point still.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Well folks, turns out this is really a story of a schizophrenic girl. The coma was after an attempt to treat her with shock therapy. Her "father" is really her psychiatrist. The story just goes all Girl, Interrupted from here on out.

Or perhaps Coyote is a Buddha and has decided to help Annie achieved enlightenment by teaching her about non-self.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

VanSandman posted:

I don't know... I think if belief or stories had that much power, the court would know about it and be experimenting with it and we the readers would already be aware of it.

But seriously, the gently caress?

Maybe they are. We don't know how Etheric stuff works, and there are robots that seemingly work by magic. Maybe they work because they look like robots, and people believe robots should work, so it makes them work.

Maybe Jones isn't the robot after all, maybe it's Coyote!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
What about the other option, that Ysengrin kills Eglamore? Like "Oh, Ysengrin, you badass motherfucker, Jesus Christ."

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah I interpreted the better at a range thing as just being that Jones is such an incredible badass at close range that he doesn't stand a chance against her, and so he'd need to be able to employ long range options to actually hold his own. Doesn't mean he's better at long range, he's still a big muscly sword dude who brawls, but he's outclassed in close quarters with someone who can impart enough kinetic force to knock down a wall while at walking speed.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Kat is going to be the big bad at the end. Or possibly there will be a war and she will be a hovercopter pilot and go down off screen after a dramatic falling out.

The thing about Coyote calling Jones a lackey for the Court and questioning her impartiality is I suspect this is done more for the benefit of Annie than to actually try to phase or upset Jones. He knows Jones is unflappable, however Annie doesn't know that, and also Jones has to keep Annie's respect. Since Jones has to remain in good standing with Annie, by calling her a court lackey right in front of Annie it puts her in the position of demonstrating she's not merely a lackey.

And with regards to the "run off and tell the the strategic implications" thing, that looks like he recognizes she's not wholey on board with the court, as she'd be willing to making up strategic implications and frame the whole thing in court benefit when it likely is not such.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Gotta say, looking at the page before, Tom really captured the facial expression for "drat, this woman who doesn't seem to age and is hundreds of years older than me and probably not a human sure is laying it on thick even though she knew me when I was 10." Because that is the face I would be making, too.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
All of this talk of Jones not understanding emotions and just mimicking them leads me to believe that she's not any kind of elemental or golem, but rather, she's just a high functioning autist. She sinks in water because she wears a heavy comfort vest to make her feel like she's being hugged all the time to self-stim and she punches through walls without hesitation because she just doesn't realize it's supposed to hurt.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm throwing my lot in with the idea that Jones is a sort of emanation of the very Universe itself. Not really human, but in a human form. She's standing outside of time and has known the entire history of the Universe in her primordial state from its beginning to its end all along. She's in a human form because she knew what humans would look like before they existed (that is, if we're even supposed to understand her as physically in that form in this history). Her purpose as such a being is to observe on behalf of the Universe to make sure everything is following the Rules, which is why she's lurking around the Court - they are up to something unnatural, attempting to achieve Godhood on their own and she is there to make sure they don't disrupt the fabric of space-time in the process.

She may also not necessarily be in this actual form, I mean, this is an artistic medium telling a story and while she appears to keep the same form all the way back to the formation of the planet, that could just be Tom's way of representing her because it's really hard to draw things that have no Form. She's there but not physically. She's incarnated physically now because it's expedient but back then it would have been less expedient.

But again even if she is physically there in that form, that's okay, because she's not born of mortal flesh and since she stands outside of time (an observer to infinity) she could see any number of potential forms to take.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Jones is an enlightened being from a previous kalpa who has mastered the supreme attainment of the vajra body.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Soooo that last robot going from bird monster robot to normal robot based on zimmyvision, with Zimmy seeing Kat as a roboangel...is Kat a cyborg!?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Gotta say after the boat chapter I was p much ready to wash my hands of this comic and its non-developments, so at least this has me checking again, though as usual now I wish that it was moving a bit quicker- and that's nice compared to wishing it was moving at all.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I have never been less interested in this comic since I started reading it. It's kinda disappointing. Having followed through a million go-nowehere plotlines that people immediately move on from, and then base-assumptions about characters being undermined, that's fine and all, but the takeaway from this chapter seems to be "nothing we know about anything actually matters because there are no rules and character traits that have been firmly established or developed over time don't actually indicate anything consistent about those character's behaviors."

"Hey this character is the Medium that's kind of an important position"

"Oh wait nevermind a supporting character returned as a garden variety schoolteacher and fired them oh welp"

Of course, I would love to rely on the thought of "welp, this plot arc will be resolved and we'll see what's going on here," but so far there is no precedent for that at all in 50 chapters. Changes that characters have gone through are immediately reversible! Clearly Annie is having some kind of internal psychic struggle over the whole thing, but the only thing that is clearly demonstrated is that straight up unquestioning obedience is the answer we're getting from our character-established loose-cannon who has a history of for example running away into the forest and so on.

I dunno, I will of course continue reading, but only because "check Gunnerkrigg" is established in my MWF routine like "check Unsounded" or so on. Here I was glad there was going to be a conflict finally that wouldn't be either forgotten about or neatly resolved immediately, and instead it is a non-conflict that is unquestioned and unresolved immediately. "Can this really happen?" "Yes it can it is happening." "Oh okay I guess it happened."

And if history teaches us anything next chapter will start a slice of life about Paz raising some rabbits inexplicably or something and Kat will be normal with maybe a line referencing "I wonder how Annie is doing" and that'll be that.

Which is fine because I've always found Kat to be a more compelling character anyhow :v:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Wittgen posted:

lol. Anthony is not a garden variety schoolteacher. He's Annie's abusive father. He didn't fire her as medium. He used his emotional control over her to have her throw away her entire life.

Do people think Gunnerkrigg Court is a plot driven comic? This comic has never been about Annie's quest to do anything. It's a slice of life comic about two girls in a mysterious boarding school. Answers come in at a slightly slower rate than new questions.

He's not a garden variety schoolteacher to her, but it seems a bit above station for him in the role of a science teacher to be making decisions that affect the court regarding her. I admit to having misread that though, I read it less as him saying "you're quitting" and more as him saying "you're fired" which I didn't parse correctly.

Gato posted:

Anthony is hardly a supporting character - his actions and motivations have been one of the driving mysteries in the comic. I don't see what the issue with him turning up as a teacher is, unless you were expecting a cackling supervillain. We have no way of knowing what the repercussions of effectively kidnapping the forest Medium will be. And Annie's tendency to rationalise and forgive her father's lovely behaviour is also well established.

His mystery might very well be a major theme throughout the comic, but it also hasn't been mentioned since Ch. 37? I get that the story isn't plot arc driven, but I think a character with no real-time presence until this chapter gets to be counted as supporting. I would similarly consider pretty much anyone not Annie or Kat supporting, I mean, you can't have a bunch of leads. That said I'm glad to be getting this feedback because again I haven't been reading this as "he comes back for nefarious purposes" as "he's back from wherever he was and he's a teacher now and he's doing a bunch of weird unilateral stuff." I am really very much hoping that it resolves into "oh ho ho things have not been as they seemed" with him and this arc.

quote:

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that this has been 'neatly resolved', as we have no idea what's going to happen in the coming chapters. I agree that this comic's pacing is glacial (as someone who's been reading serially since Chapter 8!) and it could lose a lot of filler. But complaining that the comic takes forever to go anywhere is one thing, complaining that because this subplot isn't wrapped up halfway through it is therefore resolved unsatisfactorily is kinda :psyduck:

It certainly hasn't been neatly resolved, it's been unresolved, but it's also been uncontested. It's been a chapter of "this thing is happening nobody knows anything of what this thing is but also nobody seems to care to find out." Kat has previously been known to fly a rescue helicopter, now handing off a secret cell phone and being nicely compliant. Annie previously known to run from psychological stressors, now just rolling with it. I want to see the psychodrama resolved. My concern, which I didn't articulate well I guess?, is that for the last however many chapters a chapter end indicates a setting or focal character shift and moving on to a completely disjointed or disconnected thing. If it was just a "this is taking toooo long" complaint halfway through, it would be "uh have you ever read this thing this is how it does?" But this chapter just ended. Historically that means we're moving along.

Maybe I need to reread from the beginning or something, I might have just lost pacing somewhere in the last 3 years.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Dammerung posted:

In all honesty, I'm drawn by the mythological/more fantastic elements of Gunnerkrigg, and stay to see how they develop and evolve as the story progresses. I completely understand why comics like this are necessary, and I accept that it's impossible to expect mysteries to be solved within months of initially being brought up, but you can't argue that the pace doesn't make some plot elements frustrating at times!

Came for the perfectly voiced depiction of Coyote and the alchemical treatises, stayed for the boxbots.

Like I said, I'm still staying, I've been reading MWF for 3 years, it's going to take a bit more to rattle me off, but I think it's fair to voice my frustration at the current turn.

Though the fact that I'm misreading so much indicates probably I need to get a running start from a few chapters back and see it all at once since I'm apparently missing elements.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry I missed foreshadowing from over 17 chapters ago. I'm really glad that Anthony's ability to control Annie was foreshadowed but I guess there is a lot of things I've forgotten in the year since that line would've been spoken? I'll reread the entire thing at some point before I criticize anything again I suppose. I'm not owed anything by Tom and don't expect anything, frankly, but I think it's fair to voice a critical opinion. If a thing making sense depends on discussions that occurred hundreds of pages before, that's cool, but I likely will have forgotten in due to a bunch of boat adventures between that.

Also lollin that I'm taking heat for using a term to describe a person that I guess is tropey? And then also getting critical analysis based on the Monomyth. Wanna see dudes battle it out on if this is a trope-subverting post-postmodern work or if it's a literal heroic epic ITT

Anyhow, I'll not continue any criticism until I've reread this comic. Following it only day by day and only very occasionally having reread chapters, I'm obviously missing a lot of subtext that has developed. I think I've lived in two different addresses and two different cities since Give and Take.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

PassingPie posted:

Is it really just that single room with all of her stuff in one corner?

Why doesn't she just move the few pieces of furniture she has over to where the door is and save everyone a lot of walking? Though I guess the answer to that is "Anthony Carver."

Actually Anthony doesn't care but that would be a fire hazard, blocking an egress, so she isn't allowed to do that due to the fire safety officer. :(

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Man's attempt to create the perfect dunk

Confirmed, Anthony is working on perfecting the Chaos Dunk, Gunnerkrigg prequel to Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
"I see you did the work I assigned. However, the existence of Kat in the room means you probably learned nothing and continued to cheat. You're now in third grade."

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Coyote would be out of character to have planned this, but in character to roll with this. If there is an "end game" to Coyote's manipulations I don't think we know it? He's not so much "against the Court" as he is "for Coyote," that's pretty much the Coyote schtick in the mythology and what initially drew me to GC in the first place is that he nails Coyote-as-I-understand-him so perfectly in voice and temperament.

I wouldn't expect Coyote to really care all that much initially, but I suspect Coyote will become annoyed about it all if he ever needs his medium and she's not readily at hand. Of course, we don't have any information about Coyote's reaction or even the Court's reaction at this point.

I hope they teleport straight to the forest due to a subtle etheric suggestion as to what should happen, though.

Also the room being an etheric blocking room wouldn't work well as they did just teleport into it, which I think likely is an etheric effect?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
From panel left, Ximinez says "so you think you are strong because you can survive the soft cushions. Well, we shall see. Biggles! Put her in the Comfy Chair!"

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Freudian posted:

Everyone keeps saying "swivel" for that chair when it's clearly got legs and not wheels, what's Tony gonna do, stand up, drag it round to be facing the right way and then sit back down with his fingers steepled

God I hope so.

If he does that I'll join team Tony.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Renard is like Hobbes and has ever only existed really in her own imagination. Tony doesn't have an imagination so welp.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Maybe Kat and Tony have the same symbol because they're both secret robots.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd agree with both of you if this thing that makes her the way she is wasn't also a death sentence.

e: OK after thinking about it that post was a little disingenuous. There is a downside to what happened in that it changed her personality. I believe that this is worth saving her life, however.

It's only a death sentence in as much as if she has children then she'll die as those children grow up. She's still like what, 17? Performing a lobotomy because someone might later die from brain cancer is a bit goofy. The death sentence was being born. Fundamentally changing someone's personality so that they die more conventionally when there is no other reason than you don't want them to die if they have children they haven't had yet is a weird thing.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

Hmm, I guess you're right when you look at things that way. I still think that there are a lot of unanswered questions that confuse the issue. I don't think it's 100% certain that Tony did this, or that it's exactly like a lobotomy.

I agree with you there. True to form at this point we don't know at all why it's separated, just that it is. Could be any of the above or even multiple of the above options. I don't think we can assign any moral judgment at this point, as the only thing that seems clear is they are presently separate, and the elemental bit is in a sore mood.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I think it's obvious that Tony's been off at Bolvangar refining ways to remove a daemon while allowing the body to remain alive. Tom's been secretly working to make His Dark Materials fan fiction.

Also I guess Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.

It's crossover fiction, Tom's a visionary in that regard.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 4, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Maybe half elementals don't need a human male to reproduce, they just start incubating a baby whenever they start running out of fuel in the old one so to speak. Surma self-impregnated. The similarities are because she chose him but they never boned.

Tony is mainly bitter over this 16 year blue balling he got. He chopped off his own hand because he's a good Catholic.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Tony dabbled in the occult and lost his hand, imagine his horror when he comes home to find out his daughter is hanging around with the same kind of jerks that screwed him. Of course he's going to cut her off from that stuff.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yes I think that's exactly the implication, wheels within wheels poo poo.

"Hey Tony hah hah looks like you were in a bit of a pickle, noticed you tried to avoid our watching, good thing that doesn't work! Anyhow looks like you had a good sabbatical, sorry about your wife and all, but listen, you're coming back now because we need you to keep up that work you were doing. Saved your life and all, because you always were quite handy to have around. What? Oh. Right. Still! Could use your mind, didn't lose that, did you? Oh.

Well, listen, we need you to come back to the Court and all. Incidentally that girl of yours? Yeah we're gonna kick her out. She's an obnoxious, entitled brat and a cheating student. Honor code violations and that. Zero tolerance. You know how it goes. So yeah. Kicking her out. We know your dying wife's final wishes were for her to stay, but rules are rules.

Unless there's something you think you could do. You know, since you're coming back now and all. . ."

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Conot posted:

The Court's motivation is a little opaque here. Either they wanted to humiliate Annie/make a example of her, in which case, why not go ahead as planned and let her get her rear end expelled or they want to rein her in and make her a functional member of the Court, in which case... why not do it themselves? They've been treating Annie with the kid's gloves, sure, but its a bit much to go from kid's gloves to "Haha expelled forever gently caress you".

Either way, Tony's presence seems superfluous, unless were to believe that the Court are so bad at discipline they only know the trodden upon or nuclear options.

Unless it's not really about either one of them only. Tony was working on sensitive poo poo for the Court and went AWOL to try to contact his dead wife. Annie's been a loose cannon. They could kick out Annie, or fix her problems themselves... Or they could use her as leverage to force Tony back into work, or to at least get him back into their grasps.

I honestly think Tony is the one they're more interested in manipulating here, Annie is a convenient hammer for that particular nail. They used Annie to get Tony back, and Tony to rein Annie in. Neat and tidy.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Aww yiss, now it's time for business. When Coyote is on screen, it's business time.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Tom has gotten tired of all the pacing complaints and will be replacing the rest of the comic with brief chapter summaries illustrated in crayon.

This owns though and is preferred. If the rest of the comic is in Coyote POV I will have none complaints.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Coyote in outside literature is entirely selfish and motivated only by his own immediate desires and what he would enjoy right now without regard for consequences. He's a lecher and a hedonist. Characterizing him as sociopathic isn't off base, most Coyote tales are about how always doing what you want for immediate satisfaction often leads to consequences one didn't intend.

In Gunnerkrigg he's the big dog in town and owns, and is well characterized with his selfish desires. If you think sociopathy is malicious then he's certainly not sociopathic. But he's definitely only interested in =LAUGHING=.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Oh god you're right

Kat really needs to stop making offhand comments around robot

Right? That's Tony's job.

Wait are we still doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's been a long while, so bear with me but can Parley even teleport accurately to a hospital if Smitty is injured? Smitty's luck stuff is a passive but it's possible Parley can't teleport with great accuracy to the hospital if he's injured, yeah?