Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Parley is all "Get away from her you BITCH"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

This isn't Hollywood, I doubt her first reaction after getting face-to-face with a homicidal ghost with a tragic backstory is going to be "let's make out".

Haven't you ever taken a date to a scary movie? It's like that but times a thousand.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

I have issues with this chapter. All of the kids duck the school security system so they can sit around discussing their changing bodies and have relationship drama? That is bull pucky. Tea-san is usually better at integrating stuff like that into the narrative. Are Matt and Paz ever going to be that important? Winbury got a girlfriend in the background without wrenching out a 6 comic storyline.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Micgael posted:

The kids all just came back from break and are catching up. I guess I don't see why its weird. You never snuck out of the house to hang out with your friends and do nothing?

Does it really have to be so clandestine? School isn't 15 hours a day. They're involving decoy tracker bugs and herds of robots to hang out in a lounge. They're not even getting drunk or taking ecstasy like respectable British school children.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

McGravin posted:

Were you never a teenager? It doesn't matter if all you were doing was blowing your nose, anything was automatically 10x cooler if the grown-ups didn't know you were doing it. Hanging out past curfew to just chill and talk is quintessentially teenaged.

I guess I didn't do a lot of rebelling when I was young. I just told my parents where I was going, called them if I was staying out super late and left out all the illicit poo poo I did.

There have been story arcs like this before where the children sneak out but it was never for contrived relationship drama.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

CyRaptor posted:

Not to mention that this chapter's ultimate purpose seems to be establishing some sort of relationship between Annie and Jack, which I'm sure will become significant in the future, and more importantly the chapter isn't even over with yet.

Thats part of the problem. Jack has been nothing but critical of Annie and Annie is emotionally distant and suspicious of him. Now Jack is like Walter Raleigh's more chivalrous cousin and Annie is flirting with him because he is the last unpaired male of the species in the room. That is like bad fanfic writing e.g. Matt crashing into Chang'e making her drop all of her cliches on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

dumb brunette posted:

Yeah, I don't know what Gunnerkrigg you've been reading, but calling it bad fanfic writing is ridiculously unfair. Matt bumped into Chang'e for the same reason John and Margo just happened to find the haunted mandolin: Because Gunnerkrigg is a place where weird poo poo happens all the time.

Would you call Annie and Kat just happening to find the Minotaur himself bad fanfiction or are you just annoyed because this chapter has more interpersonal development than action?

EDIT: Oh no, the site :ohdear:

Crashing into each other and falling in love is a lame plot device used by animes and sitcoms. I don't mind him meeting Chang'e thats what gunnerkrigg is about.