Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

This is gonna be like the Jones chapter, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

At the end of the chapter we'll practically be in tears over how kind coyote is being to his dear friend Ysengrin by easing his suffering because no being should have to endure that oh god

Rahul fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 31, 2018

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Because every time they go into the forest, something bad happens, because a bunch of refugees showing up on their doorstep is not something the court wants to deal with, and because the elves have lost their homes because the girl's ticked loup off

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

It's not the time loop that's freaking her out though, but the thought that Annie dies in another timeline?

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

So, is this part of the chapter, or just a reaction to current events?

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Omega is Kat. He caught a glimpse of her when she was hanging out with Renard. Poor Zimmy is losing her mind because two semi-dieties are about to duke it out in the near future and its overwhelming her senses.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The Court is deeply concerned that you are happy, Antimony.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Its gonna be great when tony realises Annie now has a spare fire spirit inside her so he can try and bring back Surma again

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1036

Pretty sure its jones.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Poor Tony. He clearly still hasn't found his shoes yet, and now he's missing a daughter as well

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

starting to get the feeling that maybe Annie isn't the one who's mental state the court should be worried about

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Yeah this is pretty hosed

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

At this point I'm less interested in hearing about Tony, who I feel I have a pretty good grasp of, and more interested in understanding what's going on with the adults who are enabling and exploiting his mental illness for some reason.

Yeah, for real, whatever your feelings about the dude it should be clear that he's not capable of being a caregiver to annie in his current state, and they should not be living together. I mean, poo poo the dude literally cannot separate the ideas of his wife and his loving daughter, which is super hosed up and creepy on a whole bunch of levels.

I really don't know what Tom's going for in exploring this incredibly hosed up dynamic, but it definitely feels like the comic is at its lowest point with all this tony bullshit. Annie being happy now because shes found a way to rationalise the neglect and abuse is a weird moral for this chapter, and the longer this bullshit drags on the less confident I am that this is actually going somewhere that's going to payoff in the long run in a satisfying way

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Right now I feel that the only satisfying conclusion to this chapter would be seeing Jones make a phonecall to CPS (or whatever the UK equivalent is)

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Yeah I'm getting pretty close to dropping this comic. The tony poo poo is getting unbearable, and if this chapter ends with the punchline seeming to be 'neglect and abuse is fine if the victim is okay with it' then thats where I get off.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

yeah i didn't think expressing frustration with a comic that ive been reading for literally years was out of line but eh whatever.

I mean tbf to Tom, I think writing compellingly about complex issues like mental health is really hard. There a lot of ways to mess it up. It's a shame that he seems to keep doubling down on it though.

The other thing I think more generally he might just be better at setup than resolution, which is why a lot of things seem to be falling flat now that we're heading towards the latter part of the series, even outside of Tony. I mean he wouldn't be the first, Stephen King is renowned for being much better at starting books than finishing them for example.

The Tic-Tocs come to mind here as an example. It was one of the most enduring mysteries of the comic, starting from the very first chapters, with lots of buildup and hints dropped over the years. Then suddenly the whole plotline is wrapped up and tied in a neat little bow in the space of a single chapter. It seemed to be really anti-climatic given how long it had been built up.

Rahul fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 18, 2021

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Nowhere. Like this monologue doesn't even make much sense in the story because the people Annie hangs out with actually like tony? Like 'hey you're dad's a cool guy when he's not around you!" was a literal plot point after he was introduced. This is reeeallly feeling a lot like an author insert pleading to the audience to like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

yeah true, i kind of forgot about parley and smitty. I kind of discounted the class because it's been awhile since she's had much time with them, what with first being held back a year and then the loup saga happening. Plus, their opinions seemed to mostly be based on second-hand gossip from Paz. And eglamore already had reasons to dislike tony that had nothing to do with Annie. But yeah fair enough. I still feel like this feels far more directed at the audience than anywhere else though.