Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
hello Thread!

I just read the full run over the past day and a half. Really super enjoying it so far, it's gonna be a shock to the system to go down to three pages a week from 400 a day.

Here is a coyote wot I done. My brother and sister both read the comic and keep nagging me to read it so I did, but before that I made this as a Christmas gift for my brother at my sisters suggestion. He's a bit off model (some of it's the weird angle) but you can more or less tell what he's supposed to be, I could do a better job if I did a few revisions of the pattern, which I may have a go at so I have one for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

dumb brunette posted:

Oh my goodness, this is it. This is the most adorable thing ever. How big is it? It's so cute :3:

I think he's about a foot long, little more with the tail. His legs are all jointed.

Once I have some free time I probably will do a version two with slightly fixed proportions. Wouldn't feel right selling them without permission from Tom though. If people are really that interested, I can ask him if it would be OK.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Kismet posted:

Would you be willing to share the pattern, for any needle enthusiasts in the thread? He looks a little more complicated than I've made before, but I can't think of a better excuse for a challenge. :3:

Sure, if I can even FIND the thing, assuming I even kept it. He's not super complex TBH, other than the large colour patched on the body most of the markings are just surface detail attached with a very fine whipstitch (the fleece's natural fluffiness hides the stitches). Other than that there's a gusset in the head, but he's mostly just two identical sides sewn together.

I'll have a poke around my pattern folders over the next few days and see what turns up.

EDIT: I've had a dig, and it doesn't look like I kept the original pattern. Have no fear though, I'm pretty much resolved to make a version 2 at this stage. Now that I've read the comic I have a much better feel for Coyotes character, and with it I can see a lot more about the original plush that doesn't really work. V2 should be more on-model and better capture the character. I won't be able to work on it for a few weeks, but once I have him done I'd be happy to share the pattern with instructions, and if Tom Siddell is OK with it I can think about making a few to sell on here.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 31, 2011

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Tea-san posted:

It's a great plush, and by all means share the pattern you made, but I would prefer if you did not sell them.

No worries at all, as I said I'd never do anything like that without permission. Glad you like him!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

1stGear posted:

Reminder that Jones believes she could take Ysengrin and Coyote at the same time and they didn't argue too much.

Whichever mythological entity she is, she's one of the super badass ones.

The only mention of a "wandering eye" with reference to mythology is in an Egyptian creation myth, where the creator god wishes to search for his first creations which have left him, and removes an eye which becomes a goddess.

Not that it'd be that straightforward of course, even the mythology that is used fairly straightforwardly still has an interesting spin put on it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Funkz posted:

He took 40 gold bars. That's as many as four tens! And that's terrible!

Haha, glad I wasn't the only one to notice this. Amazing...

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Aah, spirit-bud is awesome.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Quite excited to start a new chapter, this'll be the first one I've read as it comes out from the beginning (did the big archive read about half way through Give and Take).

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
My sister and youngest brother have been nagging me to read it for years. I read through the whole thing in two days, starting half way through the last arc (I think the live page at the time was the mandolin story).

Also, hope no one is watching QI right now :P

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if Robot could fight Jeanne. And if not, I wonder if Robot could safely dive to the riverbed.

Jeanne is an Etheric being. Robots are robots. I guess the court robots have SOME Etheric factors to make them go, but for the most part they are material objects existing in the physical world. I doubt Robot could eve SEE her.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

idonotlikepeas posted:

That's more like it, Robot!

I wonder if the entire operation of destroying Diego's device could be carried out by robots. If Jeanne can't affect them, they could probably haul the arrow out of the water without disturbance and break it into tiny pieces or whatever. (I don't think we know for sure that Jeanne can't affect them, though.)

We don't know enough about exactly what was done to her and how it has bound her spirit to the shore to know what would happen. Also any interactions between the robots and Jeanne are going to be extremely unpredictable, given that they practically worship her. They're not unthinking tools.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Dodgeball posted:

How about Two, One-Handed Swords?

I think you'll find you need a pirate cutlass and a small round shield

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NupDdQiTw3I

(also, be a skeleton)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Thoughtbubble has sorted about half my Christmas presents, two of my siblings are HUGE Gunnerkrigg fans.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Tea-san posted:

I imagine I'll have some stuff left over after Thought Bubble is finished,

I imagine you WON'T.

quote:

so I'm hoping to put any canvases and such on ebay. I could even make more specifically to sell on line if people are interested.

If I could ever get the time I'd love to offer ink wash and watercolour commissions along with the old $20 custom drawing also.

This is an excellent idea.

I know people personally who make a full living from online art commissions/sales. And they don't have a wildly popular webcomic drawing in fans.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Wow, that Zimmy and Gamma canvas is awesome. Makes me glad I'm being forced to turn up to TB UNGODLY early (we're giving lifts to another exhibitor so they have to arrive well before opening).

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Micgael posted:

I am having some trouble reading that sign. How much was Tom selling them for?

Small (city face) £20

Medium (most of them) £35-£40 depending on canvas thickness

Large (the two tall coyote ones) £50

Perspex squares £30 each

I ended up with Cityface for me, two medium coyotes (the close up of the face and a special order I made, based on the "scattering stars" comic page) for my siblings and a sketch.

Those treatise prints are mighty tempting too, and there are friends who still need Christmas pressies. Tomorrow, I may have more money...

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ka0 posted:

The knife is apparently still a secret but Annie did manage to remove Coyote's rear end in a top hat tag.

I think the band dissipated naturally when she came home from the forest. Coyote don't give no shits what the court people know, but he's presumably got some stake in the forest folk being kept in the dark about favours he's doing for a human.

Or he's just dicking around.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
haha, Parley looks so worried

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

EoRaptor posted:

I have to ask, if the goal is to kill Jeanne or free her? Because Coyote's tooth is only going to do the first of these things...

Free her. They want to get to the device and get rid of it so Jeanne can move on http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=957

Jeanne wasn't killed by the device directly, the forest man was the one who was actually shot. I wonder if this is going to come into play...

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

It seemed to me to be a slip up. If you just tapped the robot with a normal sword nothing would even happen. And all she heard from Kat was that it was "really drat sharp", she didn't know that it cuts through ball bearings. Probably she was expecting the sword to bounce off of robot or at the least just leave a nick.

Indeed. Swords don't cut metal, if they did you wouldn't be able to parry them. An experienced swordfighter given a new sword will assume it is still essentially a sword.

The question is, can it cut vengeful spirits? And also what is it gonna look like in the ether, cause coyote himself looks freaking awesome.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
oh no!

In unrelated news, someone made a dating sim City Face can play

http://clione.halfmoon.jp/hatoful-boyfriend/index.html

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Bobulus posted:

See, I assumed the light killed that Shadowman, rather than the sword. Without a shadow to hide in, he had no resistance against it.

I had to stare at the page for ages, but I *think* the light is cast by the actual sword. It doesn't seem to be coming from the lamps, it's the wrong angle and shape. I guess at this point we don't know if it's special shadow killing sword light, or if any old light would do the job

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DontMockMySmock posted:

The shadow-men can only survive if there is a shadow for them to be attached to - in this case, the shadow under Robot's feet. That's what all the lights on the bridge are for - to eliminate shadows for them to hop between. So when Robot is lifted entirely off the ground, Shadow 2 has no shadow to be connected to, and hence he dissipates momentarily.

?

Isn't the shadow in that page a DIFFERENT shadow, which is killed by the light/sword/whatever?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Heliotrope posted:

This sounds incredibly stupid and yet I want to try it out.

found via this comic

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/970

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
STOP LINKING PAGES! I've read two entire chapters today from random links in this thread, I need to get some work done!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It is empty, soulless and confusing so it all fits.

Next years dorms will be the Bull Ring

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cavatica posted:

If this hasn't been said a dozen times already, then we're doing it wrong:

The GGC books look amazing. I had a chance to see a friend's copy of it, and boy oh boy am I aching to get all the volumes. Plus it's a fantastic price for a hardback copy. I can't say how impressed I am.

Just make sure you buy them through the correct venue so Tom sees some of the money.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

VanSandman posted:

I wonder why Jones is visibly concerned about Shadow 2? Surely she has encountered Robot and Shadow 2 before.

Because if she encountered them before, it was when Shadow 2 was a shadow, which was as expected. Now he's solid. This is closer to the original form of the glass eyed men, and presumably a cause for concern.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Elysiume posted:

Late Halloween picture.

For any that don't know, this is the music to go with the original game level the picture is based on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zacUcCCOoRw

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm glad I finally sat down and read this comic, the art at the start had put me off before, but I stuck with it and it wasn't at all like I thought. Thanks for making something awesome!

The three with Jones would make a great animated gif.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Runaway Bro posted:

I was working on the same comic, but it looks like you beat me. All I have to add is this obnoxious little number:

ahaha, that is the best saddest face.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Brannock posted:

Is the Court just empty? That chapter where Red gets a haircut has the three girls going through a rather long commute and there's no one else to be seen.

That is one of the many unanswered mysteries of the court

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

"Did Ysengrim teach you Vanish and X-Zone? Ha! Didn't think so!"

Is it good or bad that I totally got this joke the instant I read it?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Spaseman posted:

I went for it and built my own that barely fit in below the limit. And speaking of avatars, are there any other threads where nearly all the posters have avatars from the topic of that thread? Its like Gunnerkrig has so many panels that would make for good avatars, everyone feels compelled to get one (with good reason).

Back when it was airing Avatar: The Last Airbender generated a whole slew of avatars but it's been off air so long most people have moved on. I expect that when the new series starts we'll get the same thing though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Seriously dude, go back and read from the start. The early art is still drat good, just more stylized. The early chapters chip along at quite a pace and you'll be through the old art in no time at all.

You will seriously have NO idea what is going on if you start from here, it's a dumb idea.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fecha posted:

I'm considering one of these.

Leaning towards Boxbot. Any opinions / text suggestions? Also, they're still untaken, right?

"Did I... Did i miss anything important?"

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Annie to me speaks with something close to Received Pronunciation/queens English/Generic Southerner. It might be because her narration in the first few chapters is very formal and clipped, or just 'cause I'm from the south(ish) myself.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The Walker posted:

Wow. I could understand maybe half of what they said.

It's OK, you're doing better than Apple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EVnK-pNxaA&feature=related

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I was talking to a game dev friend over the weekend and he was saying Kickstarter type set ups are really difficult to pull off in the UK because of the way our investment laws work. Essentially every donor to a "kickstarter" would essentially be classified as an investor, with all the attendant crap that entails. It's the reason that no one has been able to just clone Kickstarter for the UK market. I'm sure someone will be able to find some workaround or loophole at some point, but for now it's a bit of a legal minefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Man what a first page. Super excited for this one, Zimmy is such a great character and I think this is my first Zimmy chapter I'm following page by page