Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The lighting in this update is just so pretty. I love how the line art changes color in the first panel, and the shadows in the second are really nice as well. Another nice touch is that the background behind coyote's infinite eyes and teeth is a panoply of stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

1stGear posted:

I kind of envy the people who have forgotten what it's like to be 13 and stumbling through your first "real" relationship.

On the other hand, it apparently turns you into a horrible sperglord.

Some of those sperglords probably never went through the process at all...

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

BobTheJanitor posted:

It's going to be Kat running in to say "Hi" and then the last half of this page.

I just noticed Annie's hair is sort of on fire here. Ah, I love it when concepts are so thoughtfully implemented in a story.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 18, 2013

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
You all do rereads far more often than I do. Is that behind-the-shoulder shot of Kat a first for that angle in this series? I like how it gives an air of uncertainty to a statement that would otherwise be read as fairly resolute. Yay for complicated feelings!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Thanks. I love how goofy perspective means emotional distress. It makes the beginning take on a completely new character.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

ReidRansom posted:

I feel like Annie will be upset, but only because Kat was hiding her relationship generally (scared of losing her BFF, why didn't she talk to her about something important like that or trust her to be supportive, blah blah blah teenage poo poo), not that it was with another girl, but that Kat will misunderstand it as being bothered with the nature of the relationship rather than whatever else, and over the course of the remainder of the chapter they'll sort all that out.

Nah, there have been plenty of times in this comic when Tom has had the opportunity to go into a bout of dramatic irony like that and he almost never takes it. It's one of the many reasons I like this story.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Kennel posted:

"But I already thought that you are into girls" is surprising and amusing.

Especially given how she was teasing Kat about Eglamore in the previous chapter.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

RabidWeasel posted:

Bisexuality is a thing that exists you know.

Glagha posted:

While I'm sure someone else is going to say the same thing, having a crush on Eglamore, and being into girls, are not mutually exclusive.

Fair enough. I'll go off and try to extract my foot from my mouth now.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It is tempting for me to think of Jones as a personification of Earth, despite the fact that she is explicitly an observer of life, rather than an active progenitor of it like most Earth personifications/deities. Her physical abilities just seem so Earthy (or at least earthy) to me.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Or they would pass right through each other :v:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rasselas posted:

People love to look for something to be outraged at, even if it was never meant in the sense they're reading it. Jokes are especially good for that because there will be SOMETHING there you can find wrong. "You are terrible if you don't bow to our superior and highly specific sense of ethics, now grovel and beg for mercy, villain"

Please tell me more about how bad people's senses of superiority are :allears:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I hope this is also the story of how Jones finds Gunnerkrigg Court.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I'd say Mort's choice for how he should appear is pretty indicative overall of his view of the ROTD and totally consistent with the depiction of daddy Dracula in his flashback (which is obviously his perspective). Present Dracula is from Annie's perspective. Presumably the eldritch monster librarian was as well, given the similarities in tone between it and everything else happening in the ROTD in this chapter.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

GodFish posted:

Under the mask: Eglamore? The Artilleryman? Definitely gonna be Eglamore.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Who is it going to be? Who is it going to be!?

Eh, it's probably that dude who was hanging out in the RotD library. You know, Eglamore.

Edit: Also, I really like Annie angrily waving away the symbols people keep putting over her head

I think it's time to take this joke into the Ether. It had a good life but it's time to move on.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

RainbowCake posted:

Well yeah, but I feel like Friday pages tend to be worse.

Though maybe that's a subjective perception because Friday.

Pretty much the latter. They're the worst 1/3 of the time, as are Monday and Wednesday.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Dammit Internet the only thing that is similar between Zimmy and mystery girl is the messy black hair.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Captain Oblivious posted:

The area under her eyes. It looks a lot like how Zimmy does when the rain has washed WEIRD BLACK poo poo away.

Lacks red irises though as far as I can tell.

It really doesn't, actually. Zimmy's eyes look like they just had weird black poo poo washed away: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=196

Mystery Girl looks like she has on eye liner.

Also this:

Nihilarian posted:

I don't think that's Zimmy. It might be that she looks almost nothing like her, or maybe that even though she's only been in a single panel it's already apparent that she doesn't really act like her, or maybe because "she fixed all her problems off-screen" is kinda boring, but I really don't think it's Zimmy. Jack probably just likes goth girls.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Captain Oblivious posted:

I could be misremembering, but I was thinking of one of the more recent instances of Zimmy in the rain. It's hard to compare that older art, for me.

If you are thinking about this and the following pages then I still would have to say what I said before: The markings emphasize the gunk that would be left on her cheeks. There is very little of anything like eyeliner beneath her eyes. And when other people are feeling the effects of her illusions, they get dark circles under their eyes, which also doesn't look like eyeliner.

Also, seriously, Zimmy has red eyes and this girl doesn't. This should be enough. The only reason we know she has red eyes is because we can only see them when her powers are subdued.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Potsticker posted:

maybe she got contacts

makes u think

Occam's razor :argh:

...Yeah I'm done though. :thejoke: and all that. Monday can't come soon enough.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Today's page was everything I could have asked for and more :allears:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
If the Court administration doesn't start meddling in Kat's business after this then I'm not sure I understand the Court at all.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

SHISHKABOB posted:

They probably already have their noses in it.

True but at some point they tend to send in someone (in Annie's case: Jones) to influence events, which is more what I was thinking.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I don't think anyone from the court is going to step in now. More likely it would be later as a consequence of whatever happens here. If Jack can sneak around the court without them tracking him then so can the robot secret police. This is mostly up to Kat to solve, I think. Though honestly we still don't have all the pieces. Do they really think that an experimental arm is enough to make something flesh? We also still need to know who was talking on the previous page.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The Robot-as-cult-leader plot line is honestly one of my favorites. The fact that we like Robot (or at least I do--he's easily one of my favorite secondary characters) gives the creation of the cult much more weight and tension than it would otherwise have.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

BobTheJanitor posted:

That panel of Gamma is ominous. I mean the whole page is ominous, but that one in particular is pretty grim. Looks like she's trapped, separated from Zimmy, and possibly just emotionally stunned. Like she's probably rocking back and forth and whimpering. How are they going to meet up in their usual place and escape? This doesn't bode well for our fair heroes. :ohdear:

I really like this panel because how effective the fence is at communicating the feelings of dread and isolation. The fact that the fence partially obscures her make her feel cut off and trapped. On top of that though the fence also communicates the idea that she is not unaffected by the goings on of this particular iteration of Zimmyland like usual. She's huddled down and...afraid? Shocked? Feeling guilty? Certainly not in a happy place, and certainly worse off, at least for the moment, than the others seen today. Except maybe the S classes. They look like they're having a bad day.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
For the people impatient with the release schedule, even having the whole thing magically come out all at once wouldn't be enough because then there wouldn't be any more.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

SHISHKABOB posted:

No, it's good when things end. All things must end. The true showing of a story teller's abilities is the ability to end a story. If you are not satisfied with a well-ended story then you are. 21st century consumerist man-child and should probably kill yourself.

We always want more of things that are good, but we obtain true enjoyment from things that end.

Just because I can empathize with the endless desire for more content doesn't mean I share it. But go on, who else should kill themselves because they do not meet your standards for living :allears:

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 16, 2014

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Maybe a little, but that's kind of how things would go if you went to a big enough school and only interacted with one other student with any regularity.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I gave up the moment I saw the horns

I gave up the moment I saw numbers as letters.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I really like how this chapter reads as a whole so far. Day to day though the format exposes how hard it is to do action a page at a time and make it as satisfying. Oh well, it's not as if I object to reading things again, and the experience as a whole is ultimately more important than the weekly pages anyway. Speaking of rereads, I'm still trying to figure out how they managed to get Zimmy to switch shirts with Jenny.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yesss. Down the rabbit hole we go. :unsmigghh:

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 29, 2014

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Also, anyone else getting really creeped out by Robot? The whole robot cult to Kat started fun but it's getting kinda dark.

Robot is one of my favorite characters in this story. I love his design -- the only robot who wears clothes, complete with a hoodie that sometimes seems more like a cowl. I love the duality of his nature, how in theory he is one of Kat's greatest protectors, and at the same time the most dangerous thing in her life. How competent he is, while at the same time how misguided his philosophizing is. He seems to be single-handedly turning her into a god just by twisting her words into a sermon that fits his own agenda.

The whole cult thing is just this delicious slow build of drama that is eventually all going to get set loose in one glorious flood of conflict. I can't wait.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

CannonFodder posted:

The trees are Coyote's bones, and Ysengrin's tree body is a gift from Coyote, so Ysengrin's wood hands are Coyote's hands.

Coyote stealing Y's memory is at the end of this chapter

Specifically here:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1089

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It's still the same shirt. Both she and Smitty are wearing oxygen tanks or maybe filters on these sort of sash things. You can see the sash from the back in the fourth panel. No idea why their guide doesn't need one, though.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
What a dick.

But on the other hand, the potential for conflict here is so deliciously tantalizing. Just how meddlesome are you going to be Tony? Talking it out isn't his thing. And in a story where talking is usually (thankfully) the resolution to conflict, that leaves things wide open for other shenanigans. I wonder what his thoughts about Kat's current biology project would be...

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 16, 2015

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

YF-23 posted:

What the hell guys, Annie isn't feeling like she is because Anthony is "being a tosser" (he isn't), she's feeling like that because her father is actually back in her life, so suddenly. It's got nothing to do with him acting like a dickbag (he's not) and everything to do with someone very important to her, whose absence was a defining characteristic of who she is, is no longer absent, with no warning.

Absentee father showing up like this and acting this way absolutely is awful. And it is also entirely possible that she doesn't see it that way.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah that's more or less how I see it going down.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Annie kind of has a problem with authority. She knew Coyote was The Coyote and spanked him anyway. Renardine has been telling her for years that she shouldn't be cheating and has been doing it anyway. Annie knew the prohibition against unauthorized access to the forest and went anyway. She then proceeded to skip the detentions she got for doing so. The only authority figure she seems to respect other than her father is Ysengrin, who is a similarly cold, no-nonsense person. Jones gets an honorable mention, but since exercising authority isn't really her thing, and she actually isn't all that cold, it's kind of a moot point anyway.

Basically, she wouldn't have been good at following the court's orders as their medium, and the court knew that. And to them that is definitely a liability.

e: grammar

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 30, 2015

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rand Brittain posted:

I get the impression Antimony respects people who are straight with her, which is Coyote, Reynardine, Ysengrin, Jones, Anja, and Donald. Not so much Eglamore, Llewellyn, or the Court in general.

Coyote might always speak the truth but he is anything but direct. Reynardine is like a father but at the end of the day when he overtly tries to act that way (like how we would want a father to act) it just reminds her that he isn't her father, and she pushes him away. She stole that picture from the Donlans, which I think is indicative of a certain lack of respect. She obviously cares about all of those people, but that, I think, is different from respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
She remembers the dream, I imagine, otherwise she wouldn't have asked Annie if she thought her dad was involved. To literally interpret what appears to have been a dream doesn't strike me as something Kat would do, though, even if she does hates him.