Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

Hey, I just found this comic and read it from the beginning to end in one sitting!

Nobody told me that webcomics can be awesome...
I did the same thing since a friend of mine recommended it to me last night (thanks Spec). I should have waited until my 4-day weekend ended, though, since it would have been a really good way to pass the slow periods at work :v:

This was really really interesting to read and I'm definitely hooked now on this like I am on Homestuck. It's like a mixture of Zork, Harry Potter, Scifi AND Steampunk all at the same time... or something. It's good!

Also: lil' crab dude owns, Mort owns, all the characters own

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Elysiume posted:

This is awesome! :swoon:
Holy crap. "Canvas etiquette" can take a hike if painting down the sides like that is wrong, because it looks amazing!

Want dat Coyote monolith on my wall

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Slime posted:

Well, let's look at it like this. At some point in Annie's ancestry, some guy saw a woman made of fire and said "Hey, I'm gonna stick my dick in that". Compared to that, having one of your ancestors decide to bone some sentient water is downright sane and normal.
Coyote's remark about that was one of the funniest things in the whole story so far. Coyote is the poo poo.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I love the horse's sunglasses flying off as its head hangs out of the car. Wow, the fact that we even have a horse wearing sunglasses in a rice rocket is pretty hilarious on its own, drat.

I also have been going back the whole story for the past couple days - my first time rereading it all. I'm noticing a lot of interesting details this time around, and it's really increased my appreciation for how well-planned so much of the plot is.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 28, 2011

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Benagain posted:

Coyote is the kind of guy who will throw a hundred balls in the air in a crowded room just so he can see who catches them.

Some of the balls are grenades.

This is the best and most hilarious way I've seen Coyote described yet. And this is why Coyote is the best character.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Hahhahahaa this is the best way to start a Monday! loving cracking up here, especially at the dual grimace.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

Hey, how about that Gunnerkrigg comic? I'm interested in Parley's apparent inability to admit to her friends that she's dating Smitty!
I think it's hilarious how Classic Teenager it is. I mean really, does anyone NOT recall a person who did this in high school or earlier?

Looks like her new "friends" are older kids and she's trying to be cool and fit in, hehe

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

Plus, you got to take something out of your head and put it onto paper and enrich the lives of thousands of people all around the world. I realize that may not be that much comfort in your current position, but hopefully it means something.

Yeah, seriously, this. There are so many people who want to get published, even for free, but don't manage to for whatever reason. You've not only been published, but you've been putting out some damned fine work for other people to enjoy, whether they bought the hard copy of it or just read it online.

Be proud of yourself! Gunnerkrigg Court is a really cool story with excellent art and I'm always happy to see it update. If you haven't made serious money off it (so far), that's not something to be ashamed of. You're giving something back to the world, and it's appreciated. That might sound hokey or whatever, but it's true!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

cloudy music posted:

I discovered this comic via ChibiSoma's custom title (which, unfortunately, he has since replaced with a far less humorous one)
If it weren't for an insane, denture-wearing, 30-year-old shut-in raging over the apparent lack of lesbianism amongst non-ghouls, I wouldn't be reading this wonderful story.

Wait, what? :psyduck:

I discovered this comic when the same friend who got me into Homestuck last year recommended it to me. I didn't hesitate to check it out after his other recs. I started reading late on a Saturday night before bed, just to see what it was like. Before I knew it I had spent about 4 hours and got half way through the archive. I finished the next day and was caught up right around when Bud was first shown in that bucket (so pretty recently).

I'm still convinced Coyote is the best character in the whole series, and one of the most entertaining characters I've read, period, in recent memory.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 8, 2011

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Holy loving christ what the hell is wrong with that guy

Anyway I don't wanna dredge that poo poo back up so consider me informed. Thanks :stare:

Back on track. There is something genuinely, absurdly hilarious about a fencer fighting a robot that I just can't explain.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

There is no reason to think that something bad will happen here. I mean this is Gunnerkrigg Court, not some horribly depressing dark comedy or whatever.

The sword is behind him. It might be pressed against his metal frame, which could almost be dangerous! But probably isn't because he's a robot and has already survived one body being completely destroyed and rendered into paperclips.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Wait, the only one that didn't get bought was Coyote??? :psyduck:

HOW IN THE HELL

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Tuxedo Ted posted:

As awesome as Coyote is, that one was the biggest canvas. You can't just buy it on a whim and hang it on any old wall. Something like that takes planning and forethought.

Good point. I have the wall space for something like that (unless it's bigger than like 6 feet), but can understand most people not having that much room. Let alone disposable income.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Casull posted:

And Annie just pulled out Chekov's gun.

Chekov's magical coyote toothknife. Gun. Thing.

All I can say to this is "awwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeuh"

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Coyote is the best character

There was never any doubt for me, but now there should be no doubt for anyone.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ahahahahhaa holy poo poo Parley, yes let's just knock this magical sword against a [semi-]living thing and see what happens!

Only thing that could have been funnier is if she dropped it and it bore a hole straight to the center of the earth, then magma came up through the floor.

I'm not worried about robot, though. He's gonna get a new body and this one will probably make a fine box of staples or something.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Tea-san draws a future scene with Coyote's Tooth, his hand slips while he's inking, and then he shows up at the next comic convention with a stump wrapped in bandages.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

?

Isn't the shadow in that page a DIFFERENT shadow, which is killed by the light/sword/whatever?

Yeah that wasn't Shadow 2, it was some bad mean shadow dude.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Honesty, its about time he was given a bit of depth.

Perfection.

Also, I didn't realize at first why Kat was asking Parley to take them all to her workship - I mean, what, is everyone so distraught they can't walk themselves? Then I saw the last panel and felt really really dumb, and also excited. Group teleporting? Now that would be fun. Well, as long as it doesn't end up like The Fly.

[edit] vvv Of course. I don't actually consider something like that even possible in this comic :v:

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 5, 2011

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I wonder if we'll ever get a satellite view of the court. That would be awesome (although it would probably take forever to draw, even if sourced from a real photo).

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It seems sort of significant that the Court, forest, and river have all been treated as effectively infinite, with no boundaries or clear relation to the outside world or internal geography beyond the small portion given over to the boarding school. Defining it that way would sort of run against the mystery. I really don't think it's going to come up in next chapter that oh yeah the Court is twelve miles across, shaped sort of like an egg and up the M62 north of Manchester

True, and clearly a good design decision for the story. But considering Kat's been on vacation elsewhere in the world, I think we can at least assume it isn't this all-encompassing mass of urban jungle. Not yet at least!

The more I think about this kind of stuff, the more curious I get about the unspoken details and hints we've gotten so far.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

STOP LINKING PAGES! I've read two entire chapters today from random links in this thread, I need to get some work done!

Hahaha, I was just commenting to some friends about this same problem.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ironic Twist posted:

I re-read the entire archives of GC every morning and I do all of the movements along with the characters so I don't see what y'all are complaining about

Do you open-palm slam the URL into your address bar?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oh man I can't wait for the next iteration of this, especially the last panel. One of the funniest moments in the story so far.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fangz posted:

Yeah, I mean, remember way back in the third comic ever: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=3

The court's just naturally run down. The robots keep everything hanging together, but the place is ancient and huge and no one's interested in surface appearances. And it's not like there's gonna be an Ofsted inspection anytime soon.

Actually I think this explains all the cracks quite nicely: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=31 :colbert:

But really, it's a massive, massive massive massive place that appears to be maintained only enough to function, not look nice. Besides, how would you keep a place that big looking good?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Metoron posted:

Just noticed that all the former forest dwellers have those same grey eyes. Nice little touch there I didn't note before.

Example from earlier in the comic.

Hahaha, I remember when I first saw this page, I thought the girl in the extreme lower right had the biggest :downs: face of all time. And... lacked irises.

Regarding today, to me, the most surprising part of all of this is that they're studying in a classroom with interior windows and actually paying attention. I'd always be distracted by people walking by if that was me.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

OK this is fantastic.

Also, looks like the teacher is the one with the pinkish hair and a blue mark on her cheek in a very conspicuous place. Perhaps she had a run-in with Jeanne too? (And has blue blood. Interesting.)

[Edit] Nevermind that's not the teacher, she's got a student uniform on. Derp.

It's also pretty impressive that the students can mess around in the fancy magic world while still typing on their computers and paying attention to some complex school stuff in the real one. Meanwhile we've only ever seen Annie kinda zone out into zombie mode whenever she goes aetherial. I guess these Foley folks are all REALLY good at multitasking.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 9, 2012

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I totally forgot about those fairy marks, so that's probably what it is. But it does look oddly narrow and sword-slice-like for that, so we'll see!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ironic Twist posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

I do, because learning how things like Gunnerkrigg Court are designed is interesting, not because hanging on every pixel is ammo for a crazy theory. You might wanna go easier on the snippy comments in the future.

Somehow I find it really endearing and hilarious that Jones has a traditional dumbphone, but then it dawned on me that we don't know for sure what year this story is set. I've always assumed it was similar to the current time, but maybe in the story it's more like early 2000s or even late 1990s (in which case Jones' phone is probably totally badass, haha). Or, hell, it could be something completely off if technology developed at a different rate due to the world's ethereal mechanics.

Also possible: the phone is actually a robot, and the transferring call voice was the phone itself talking. :v:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

I wonder if Annie will maintain poise and dignity, collapse, or yell at him. (Or some combination of those things.)

All of the above.

...Still trying to picture this.

Tea-san posted:

The story is set in the current day! Jones has a keypad phone because she is unable to use capacitive touchscreens.

Well THAT sure is interesting! Tell me: can robots use touchscreens? THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

That satellite actually made me think of the Sky Watcher. My guess is the satellite itself is a small robot.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Aren't all satellites, in a way?

Or do you mean intelligent and from the same origins as the court robots.

Yeah, intelligent like the Sky Watcher itself was (the little bug-lookin' bot) is what I was imagining. It even looks almost like it has a head and "wings" (due to the solar panels).

As usual I'm probably completely off-base here

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 24, 2012

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Welp, whoever predicted a mega downer after the fairy hijinx already nailed it. :smith:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

What I want to know is why a jiang shi decided to marry a half fire elemental.

Probably because the elemental was, well, really h--NO WE'RE NOT DOING THIS

Probably because he saw in her something that really spa... something that ign... something that kindl... god damnit

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah, it's a portable door, not a portable one-way teleporter to a specific location (though I was a little confused at first too). Still pretty drat cool.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ha! One-time pad. That's brilliant.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Aww poo poo yeah, definitely going to get that Coyote shirt now!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

So how long until the entity of Gunnerkrigg Court is displayed via forum avatars? :v:

(Then everyone has to post in order)

....and back to the actual topic, I'm excited for Monday both to see if the update schedule increases in frequency AND to see where the story is going with Carver. I'm glad to see some more humanizing details about him, even if he's still a kid in this flashback.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ledneh posted:

oi what happened to my duck

This sentence doesn't get used nearly enough in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I love how he acts like he's opening the door via the handle and just seamlessly transitions into using his magic door instead.