Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

One of my favorites is Annie's first medium job with the boy in the hospital. Her figuring out what happened and the realization of what the weird lizard thing is were well done.

Also anything with Zimmy and Gamma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

According to the fan forum, someone asked Tea-san on his formspring once and he replied it was a symbol he invented.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah it's only been maybe one year, if that. Annie transferred in partway through year 7 I think, and she's probably only halfway through year 8.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

No, I'd say she's pretty good at reading people, too. She gave Kat and Ali alone time in the library and later on in Kat's bird person chapter.

Wasn't she the one who made an observation about how uncomfortable Jeanne looked in her portrait, as well? She did correctly see the headmaster wasn't interested in the meeting with Coyote and Ysengrim.

I think she's really just upset at the Court for what happened with Jeanne as well as other things. She's just learned her mother feigned interest in Reynard on behalf of the Court. She might be wondering if those are the types of things she'd be expected to do as Court medium.

Especially when you contrast her running around with spiritual beings in the hospital versus this structured life in the Court. She's just lost her mother and she's in this new environment, she wasn't too enamored with it in the first place. Now she finds out it's a little horrible. I agree with whoever said it earlier, she'll probably get more elaboration about her feelings on the Court soon like Kat did.

The question is whether she'll see the Court favorably again like Kat or not.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

inthesto posted:

Is this the first time we've seen Annie with her hair all disheveled like that?

I remember it looking a little messed up when she was in Zimmingham after Gamma gopped the fake Kat.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Sarinnanashi posted:

Tell me if I am remembering this wrong, but near the beginning of the whole comic somewhere in the first chapter, didn't Antimony tell the audience it would be another two years before she saw her father again? How long has she been at the court at this point?

This is the summer break of her second year at the Court, so there's still one more year to go before he shows up. She made the comment in her first summer break, when she was staying at the Court while Kat went on vacation, I think.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Annie also has had issues with one person claiming another in the past. Remember her reaction to Mort when she thought he'd given her the blinker stone as a token of love? She said something pretty cruel about him, too.

It's a small part of her character that I'm hoping gets elaborated on. It might even have something to do with her mother, which would explain her outburst. She started to get really upset when Reynardine referred to her as "my Surma" and implying her dad tricked her away from him.

So combine that with her love/respect of her father and the bad mood she'd already been in and it's not surprising she's completely blown her top.

That said, I feel like in the next few pages she'll get some form of reality check, step back, and feel EXTREMELY guilty she's acted this way.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

This is also going to ruin Annie's trust in any of the adults/older characters who knew her mother since Reynardine specifies that everyone knew.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Coyote likes to keep Annie around because she's fun. I can't see the fun in letting her die or get hurt though??

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I was sort of hoping the nice family she'd get to stay with would be Aly's.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It's not the first time, and I think it's hilarious.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I dunno, on the next page of that chapter they're in a carriage drawn by a robotic horse quoting Paradise Lost and later Red gets her hair cut by a robotic barber.

GC might be more alternate world than I thought, though, and might have robots out in the rest of England. Who knows.

Edit: That said, Zimmy did come from Birmingham, but I'm not sure how far away it's supposed to be from the court.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It's said in the comic that he can't leave without her permission since it's an object she owns. If she were to give up ownership totally, he'd be able to leave since he'd own himself I guess? If she gave him specifically to someone, then they would have possession over him. I think the symbol is just a, uh, well a symbol of the bond rather than any actual magical emblem.

If that's what you were asking.

Relevant wiki page.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

So that's why Anthony comes back to see Annie, she'll get sent to the principal's office too many times!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

MikeJF posted:

I'm thinking the heart has something to do with the mysterious Seed Bismuth that's been thrown around in the comic before, including just a couple of pages ago.

I'm also thinking this idea of buildings that grow might have something do with why the court is so absurdly enormous beyond all practical use. What if they found a way to grow buildings like they were organic but it just never stopped?

Well, there is something mechanical that can grow, but I don't think it's been shown what it is. All we know is it's connected to the mystery birds, and those aren't (known) Court tech. Kat will probably figure something out about them, based on the hints that she's attracted to how birds work and she and Annie have a habit of poking around where they ought not to be.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Oops! Well darn, now I don't know what to think.

Related to that page, I wonder if Ysengrin makes it a habit to eat fairies or if he did it to help them pass their test. I remember him not thinking highly of the forest creatures that do the test.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Get out of here with your magic, Annie, this is a robot chapter.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The bit about her being flat chested is from a comment someone left on today's page. I think Tom's taking it pretty well considering I would probably just raze the comments section to the ground.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The Spanish girl is Paz, she talks to animals. The other guy I can only assume is this fellow, who was with the group when they went to the power station. No ideas on his character.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Oneiros posted:

I don't get why people are so freaking out about this so much. From what we've seen I doubt Robot can even be "hurt" unless he suffers damage to the chip housing his CPU/Memory. Physical damage to his body is just an inconvenience.

Shadow 2 on the other hand...is it three-dimensional in that last panel? :stare:

With Tom's comment on this page, that's what I assumed was happening.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I think it just symbolizes an epiphany she has thinking about how bird wings work--lightweight and how the joints function, etc.

She definitely has an aptitude for mechanical things, though. She built a hovercraft at age 12 or so. Whether that comes from any etheric sources, who knows, but she seems to be pretty far ahead of her classmates in that kind of thing.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Re-reading a bit last night and I decided it was high time to change my avatar. I love all the robots in Gunnerkrigg, especially Annie.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Kojiro posted:

I will miss your Toph av but this is an acceptable replacement.

Toph was good but after 5 years deserved retirement. Firebenders are my favorite anyway :v: .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Alkanos posted:

I don't know why, but after this page I get the strangest feeling that Annie's totally just playing along here. I mean, why would she get so close enough to check Blue's pulse while the evil death-worm's still right there?

I'd say there are shenanigans afoot here...

Yeah, she spent a whole summer in the forest with fairy types, I'm sure she has a handle on how they operate.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I hope when Anthony shows up, Kat punches him like she did to Muut :3: .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I think all the robots are great.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I know everybody's eager to throw money at Tea-san however they can and tell him how much they'd give him, but it's been said before that Kickstarter is US-only.

I'm sure he's got ideas on how to pay the bills with his stuff without everyone falling over themselves to think up a business model for him to compete with Two Kinds :v: .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Drakyn posted:

This is awful. Not awful in the same way as that awful picture is awful, awful as in oh god it suddenly seems full of terrible plausibility.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, except for the first treatise, the others summarize the chapters preceeding them. The heart likely refers to how Kat felt about Annie while she was in the forest, sick, or something like that.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Not a spoiler: he calls her "woman" in part 2.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

maybe Anthony thinks if she stays in Year 9 she'll never get older and can't have a kid :tipshat:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, it's not really clear what happened with the two of them between the time Surma died and when Annie came to the court. In the earlier flashbacks, Annie is acting like any other child her age, but by the time she's at school she's very stoic. Coyote mentions it as being because of her father, which could mean any number of things.

We know he was always very quiet and proper with her, calling her Antimony and not Annie and it rubbed off on her. Like, Anja says she can call her and Donald by name, but she keeps to Mr and Mrs Donlan. Also, in my opinion, Annie makes a point to call her parents mother and father, she even catches herself once ("You know my m... mother?" implies to me she stopped short of saying mum). She's only said mummy once, when she was crying with Kat.

Related to that page, I always felt like she never had a chance to properly grieve for her mother, and I'm dreading that the moment Anthony went full-on awful happened after Annie took her to the ether. Like, I don't feel the Anthony in this page could match up with the current Anthony, but of course there's a lot more of his character to reveal.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Think about it: it all makes sense. Anthony doesn't bother to conceal his doubts about Annie's honesty: see his suspicious glance at Kat when Annie hands over her homework. Antimony is desperate to win his trust back; and how better to do that than exposing a conspiracy?

Yeah, to be honest I'm waiting for there to be a point where Annie has to choose between Kat and her dad and initially chooses her dad.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I also assumed one of the factors in Renard taking Coyote's gift of body swapping was because he needed to be human to get into the court when he wanted.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

JT Jag posted:

Renard was in prison for decades. He went from that to being under house arrest, and actually found that arrangement to his liking, to the point that he preferred to stay under house arrest rather than be kicked out.
Dear fellas, I can't believe how fast things move on the outside. I saw an automobile once when I was a kit, but now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big drat hurry. The forest got me into this treehouse called "The Anwyns" and a job helping Khepi. It's hard work and I try to keep up, but my hands hurt most of the time. I don't think Khepi likes me very much.

Sometimes after work, I go to the park and feed the birds. I keep thinking Annie might just show up and say hello, but she never does. I hope wherever she is, she's doin' okay and makin' new friends. I have trouble sleepin' at night. I have bad dreams like I'm falling. I wake up scared. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember where I am.

Maybe I should body steal the court medium so they'd send me home. I could body steal Khepi while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I'm too old for that sort of nonsense any more. I don't like it here. I'm tired of being afraid all the time. I've decided not to stay. I doubt they'll kick up any fuss. Not for an old crook like me. P.S: Tell Eglamore I'm sorry I tried to steal his body. No hard feelings. Reynard.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Freudian posted:

Everyone keeps saying "swivel" for that chair when it's clearly got legs and not wheels, what's Tony gonna do, stand up, drag it round to be facing the right way and then sit back down with his fingers steepled

Well if he's in that chair he's sitting curled up like a cat, it'd be good to stand up and stretch his legs out.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Got my friend to get me a copy of Traveller and send it to me.

It's good! I like his black and white stuff.

Saying anything else would be a spoiler, I guess.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

He had it at MCM, but he mentions it'll be available to buy online soon?
    "A really fun MCM this year! I talked with so many great people. I hope people enjoy Traveller! It'll be available to buy online soon."
So maybe Topatoco will have copies or something.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

They've been visibly dating, they were together on the cruise ship, it'd be surprising to me if her parents didn't know.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Whatever the court's deal is, it's hard to say what it wants to accomplish with the actual education of its students. Like, why the heck are the forest students studying orbital mechanics?

At least it's not as bad as Harry Potter where the kids stop learning math at age 11, if they even learned that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

dyzzy posted:

Welp my copy of Traveller arrived.

...yup.

Haha this was me when I got it from him at MCM.

For anyone wondering, the tone is less like Annie in the Forest and more like Skywatcher and the Angel.