Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
To me, at least, a big part of the L5R appeal was how unforgivingly deadly combat was. Especially at the lower ranks, a spearman with a sharpened bamboo pole could land a lucky blow and drop an overconfident samurai, nevermind all these demons and trained soldiers hanging about the place.

quote:

Fourth edition makes characters more survivable, by making characters slightly harder to hit, making them effective for longer, but also reducing the power of the techniques for each family.

So this statement makes me a little leery. Is the penalty for being brash still a quick death, or has L5R's combat system drifted in the direction of more traditional fantasy role playing games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Hi! I got told to bring my knives and bananas, but it looks like it's mostly talked out? Whatever, statement of intent time.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's the way it was presented through four Shadowlands books and two editions of the game. It's not some crazy personal take on something. You can call that hubris if you like, but, uh, that's the way the game was for practically a decade.

Nope. It's always been a medical condition, people have always functioned with various amounts of taint thanks to the jade tea, and nothing has ever stopped a samurai from using the power of the Shadowlands to fight the shadowlands. It's only recently that any real number of in setting characters have started publicly saying, "We can use the power of satan for not evil, this is totally safe!" But this is not because the power of satan has become less evil, but because social opinions on awesome shadow powers are shifting. They're here, they're brimming with darkness, get used to it.

Basically, if you think the spider can is dumb because they contradict previously established lore, you're wrong, and if you think the spider clan is dumb because you can't have them in your personal campaign where the taint is a creeping, insidious, dangerous influence no one clearly understands and can't be resisted, you're wrong and an egomaniac.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Don't even get me started on Daigotsu. He's the snowflakiest! (And that's considering something, considering that Legend of the Five Rings has often been a cherry blossom blizzard of special petal people.)

There is nothing wrong with a character being special, and the spider clan got introduced because a lot of players wanted to be samurai struggling with the taint. Their fantasy is not any less legitimate than yours is.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If you can formulate your arguments without resorting to insults, though, that would be great!

You're going to give me a suris about tone and then rant about dicks for a paragraph?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'll let you work out the difference in context.

It's you doing it and not me.

• Locked thread