Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Just FYI, if anyone's looking for Enemies of the Empire, the cheapest place I could find it (it appears to be out of print already) is at Troll and Toad. 27+ shipping.

Amazon has preorders up for Emerald Empire, also at 27. If it's anything like the other books it'll go out of print so jump on that if you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My copy of Emerald Empire shipped from amazon today. I figured it wasn't going to show up at all, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Is the Thousand Years of Darkness writeup in Imperial Histories done well/interestingly? Is there any mechanical support for the different eras/timelines or is it mostly just setting material like Emerald Empire?

It's 90% setting material, 10% mechanical support (new paths/whatever).

The Thousand Years of Darkness gets about 25 pages. It's good if you're interested in the concept, but it boils down to post-apocalyptic Rokugan which I find boring as hell.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you just like the storyline then Imperial Histories is the perfect book for you.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Chance II posted:

My group is planning to run a Lo5R game in the next couple of weeks. I've never even looked through book but I have a general idea of the setting. What should I be looking at to build a kind of noble samurai character (cultured warrior rather than berserker sword fetishist)? Lion clan described to me as the big warrior culture clan.

This is going to sound mean but "noble samurai character" is like 80% of the samurai in the setting. Even the Crab or the Mantis or whatever are noble in their own way, assuming "noble" to you isn't also "proper in ettiquette". Just pick whatever clan's fluff sounds the best to you.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

NutShellBill posted:

The Book of Air is out this week, albeit in short supply. It's mostly a fluff book, but I still recommend it warmly, if only because an associate wrote chapter five (Rules for kite-fighting are yes!), and they finally spelled my name right in the credits as a play-tester.

Unfortunately, it looks like the elemental books will be dividing up information that I'd rather have had all in one book into five small, hard to find sections, scattered over 5 books.

As always, the art is amazing, but it's definitely not essential.

I preordered it from Amazon only to have it go immediately from "not out yet" to "out of stock" They need to print some more books.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Valgaav posted:

I still can't believe they're doing that. One of the strongest anti-piracy measures AEG has is that they put out beautiful, $40 books that nobody wants to tear apart to scan. It may not stop them - nothing will stop them - but it slowed them down considerably.

Then again, this doesn't seem to exactly be A-list material.

They release just about everything to pdf now anyway so there's no real anti-piracy measures there except a slight delay.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mine finally shipped from cool stuff inc after being available for ages, so if Kayumi doesn't get around to reading it this week my copy shows up on thursday.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm more down on it than you are, but overall it's a good buy. The cards are super cheap and really really need to be sleeved if you're going to use them at all frequently, the map is really pixellated and unless I run the campaign only like a book and a half is useful.

The dice and the GM screen and all of the character sheets are super nice, though, and the book that's just about the city seem really good as well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm definitely happy with the purchase, I think I'll get a lot of use out of all the accessories that came in the box, more than I've got out of a couple of the books I've bought (looking at you, Strongholds of the Empire).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

8 clans of Samurai hang out in a mash-up of ancient asian cultures, fight evil demons and each other.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Got my copy of the Book of Earth a couple days ago, and I've been reading through it. There are some really unfortunate printing errors that make some of the pages too blurry to actually read. It's only a few pages near the beginning so I guess it's not a total refund-demanding deal-breaker but I'm a bit annoyed.

As far as content goes it's interesting. There's a focus on heavy weapons and all different kinds of armor, with sections on a lot of "earth-related" tasks like smithing, farming, masonry, whatever. It's the same kind of focused content that the Book of Air had, so like with that book you'll probably only want to pick it up if you have a campaign touching on that specific content.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Winson_Paine posted:

Also god help me, as groggy as I get about some of the stuff between the coup and current timeline I am really liking Second City the more I read of it.

I like Second City more than anything else to come out of the metaplot in the last few years, easy. It's a nice, self-contained product with a very clear perspective on the setting, and that makes it easy to work with and easy to focus on without getting hamstrung.

Stuff like the giant pit to hell in scorpionland is a lot harder to work with for me because it necessitates bringing in a lot more outside assumptions than the Second City does, since SC is basically L5R with less-rigid customs (so L5R like everyone plays it) in a place that's explicitly set up to do your own thing. I wish the quality of some of the components were better, like the super pixelated map, but the content's nice.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's an alright book and the fluff is nice but it doesn't have the production values of 4th edition and I don't know that I'd love paying that much for it, but I never really bought the book to get it on the table. If you know you're going to play it that's a fine price.

As an aside, is Imperial Histories 2 actually out yet? I have a hell of a time keeping track of L5R stuff since amazon doesn't really carry it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Undead Unicorn posted:

Where the hell can I order The Great Clans or Imperial Mysteries 2? Ald own website doesn't have either of them up or anything, and Amazon lists The Great Clans at thousands of dollars.

I get them from coolstuffinc.com, but The Great Clans is out of print and out of stock everywhere. Drive-thru has it in PDF http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/93584/Legend-of-the-Five-Rings%3A-The-Great-Clans

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

What's the fire campaign about?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hope they don't do a new edition so soon, I really think they got it right with 4th.

I do think you're right about saturation, but that works against a 5th edition too. I don't know that I'd want to buy any of the same stuff again for a 5th edition, so they'd either have to completely reboot the setting or system to get me interested.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is it a paperback or is the product description on amazon messed up?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

For crafting it's worth 25 koku with a crafting TN of 35.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It depends on what you're looking for. I'd go for The Great Clans and Emerald Empire first, since they fill out the setting more without getting into detailed timelines like the Imperial Histories do. Enemies of the Empire has a ton of stuff to fight, and if you're into Ronin/Minor Clans you'll want Secrets of the Empire.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yawgmoth posted:

Is there a pdf of Book of Void out yet?

Nah, the last thing out in PDF is Sword and Fan.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Splitting the books by clan or character type doesn't really make sense for L5R in the way it (arguably) does for Star Wars or 40k because there's not the same disparity between factions or campaign frames that those other settings have.

While it's always been a stress point on Star Wars games to have Jedi hanging out with non-force-using characters, or putting Guardsmen next to Space Marines doesn't make sense, the same can't be said about Lion Samurai and Phoenix Shugenja or whatever.

Now, supplements, yeah. I can't imagine them doing anything less than a book for each clan if the line sells well at all. There's a star wars supplement for every individual character class, for god's sake.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I finally picked up a copy of Atlas of Rokugan and I'm really happy with it. The cartography is well done, particularly in contrast to Second City, the last real map-heavy set. A lot of the maps in Second City looked like completely standard City Designer maps that were blown up in a really careless way, leaving lots of pixel artifacts, and Atlas doesn't fall in the same trap.

I'm super satisfied with 4e as a complete line now that it's all out. I can't really think of any other books I would want, so I hope that whatever FFG does with it is a completely new take.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Imperial Histories books are full of different little setting bits that are self-contained and just fleshed out enough to be good for a campaign, but not so detailed that you feel like you're beholden to a tiny metaplot. I particularly like the Great Famine out of IH1, where you get to deal with peasant rebellions and explore that whole bit of the setting, and the "Eighth Century Crises" from IH2 where you have to deal with The Maw and Iuchiban and a whole bunch of other poo poo.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That sounds like The Dracula Dossier but done in the absolute worst way possible.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

4th Ed is complete enough that any FFG 5th edition is going to have to be a massive overhaul for me to even start caring about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They should've never given players plot input.

• Locked thread