Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So I'm running an L5R game right now, and having a ton of fun with it. The game lends itself naturally to my DMing style, which is a mystery plot with tons of NPCs. But I have a dilemma. I am awful at balancing encounters. And with how lethal L5R combat is I've been avoiding having much of it, for fear of unfairly killing my PCs. I have Enemies of the Empire, but it doesn't have many stats for human NPCs. Are there any simple guidelines for building balanced NPC encounters? Say I want to make a Rank 2 ronin. Should I just start with a base character and add a certain amount of EXP's worth of stats? How much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

Any samurai who cannot gently caress up his daimyo's enemies is no samurai at all.
A courtier can do you one better, and just straight-up gently caress his daimyo's enemies.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WerrWaaa posted:

Nine! Spider!
Not in good games. :smug:

It's me, I'm the L5R grognard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like to imagine this guy is running around in front of a bunch of other samurai shouting "Nooooooot tainted! Not tainted! No sir, feelin' fine!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In the L5R games I run, I've turned the Kolat into a group entirely separate from the Lying Darkness. They're useful because they can be antagonists but without being hilariously supernaturally evil. When I want to do Darkness-related stuff (which is often), I use the Gozoku.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The fourth edition core book is all you need. It has a simplified version of the setting's history, and a lot of information on culture and etiquette for new players. You don't need to know anything about the CCG metaplot to play it. Just read the first 80 or so pages of the book and you're ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Wow, the penalties in samurai soccer are pretty extreme.
But underage drinking is never a problem in Rokugan.

• Locked thread