Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1377 »
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the replies! The Trails in the Sky games are pretty cheap on Steam so I might have to try 'em out. How long are the games? I'm the "exhaust every dialogue and fully explore every area" type, so assume that I'll do every optional thing.

Honestly, the two biggest things that have kept me from impulse buying them are the voice acting and character portraits. Dumb and minor things for sure, but we all have our pet peeves I'm still wondering if it's possible to mute or switch out the voices even if it's just combat sounds, since it's the kind of thing that I know will grate on me. Just seeing names like Johnny Bosch sends chills down my spine.

I have 46 hours in the first, 73 in the second, and 42 in the third, and those are all 100% playthroughs. So it's a good chunk of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

That sucks. I liked Ayesha...is Berseria still good?

Berseria is very good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the replies! The Trails in the Sky games are pretty cheap on Steam so I might have to try 'em out. How long are the games? I'm the "exhaust every dialogue and fully explore every area" type, so assume that I'll do every optional thing.

Honestly, the two biggest things that have kept me from impulse buying them are the voice acting and character portraits. Dumb and minor things for sure, but we all have our pet peeves I'm still wondering if it's possible to mute or switch out the voices even if it's just combat sounds, since it's the kind of thing that I know will grate on me. Just seeing names like Johnny Bosch sends chills down my spine.
Oh yeah another thing that is neat about these games and can definitely drive up the playtimes for some people is that the NPCs tend to be "active" participants in the story to a degree, in that they change their dialogue and/or locations after many story beats and have their own mini arcs if you bother to talk to them enough. There is a ton of incidental dialogue you can get wrapped up in provided you look for it.

The shortest games (Sky FC, Sky 3rd) I'd say are on average 40-50 hours while the longer games (the rest) will push 80-90. They're definitely not short, overall.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm playing Berseria right now and it's a ton of fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Your Computer posted:

get over it

Pollyanna posted:

That sucks. I liked Ayesha...is Berseria still good?
berseria is super good. good plot, good combat, amazing character writing. pretty much my only complaints are the dungeons all go on about two rooms too long and the music is very forgettable.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The dream and romance of any REAL man!

Your Computer posted:

I'm a dub-hating weaboo too and I love Cold Steel's voices. Doesn't matter in Sky since its just battle stuff.

Mr. Fortitude
Jul 9, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Now that 3rd is actually out in english people need to stop saying this poo poo because its a bold faced lie. 3rd wraps up a bunch of character arcs and functions way more as en epilogue to fc/sc than a side story. It also sets up an incredible amount of stuff for cold steel, zero/ao and the upcoming calvard arc.

It's also extremely good and tied with SC for my favorite trails game.

I agree. It's especially bad that people parroting that 3rd is a side story and can be safely skipped is causing some people to actually skip playing it from what I've seen. The format for the game is certainly different from the first two games but it isn't a side story. It's the conclusion to the first two games and closes off a lot of character arcs from those games which have been built up previously, plus it sets up a whole bunch of foreshadowing for future games like you said to the point that if you skipped 3rd and played Zero/Ao or Cold Steel, you'd have a different and kind of wrong understanding of some of the events that happen in those games.

If you're invested in the Trails series, you absolutely should play 3rd, no question about it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I believe you can turn the battle voices off, and if you find the Japanese voice files somewhere you can just drop them into the directory and the game will use them. Google it.

There are undubs for the cold steel games but naturally you need a hacked console to play them. Someone will probably do the voices thing for the pc port when that happens even though that'll be kind of weird because they'll have to add a bunch of just silent files I guess.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2017 around 17:50

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anyone who doesn't feel anything when they listen to To Meet Again Someday when it plays in TC is a cold, cold person monster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wld2q4mLhYM

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

?

I'll check out Berseria when I get home. I was meaning to grab it earlier, but other games got in the way. Thanks!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This burger is God Himself. The "two Buns" exist as His observational terminals for this lower domain. In order to assure the continuation of our world, we must eat Him up.

Your Computer posted:

whenever you're about to hear a voiced line in battle, speak over it with the pure and proper Japanese line

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

i didn't even notice joshua was voiced by jyb, he's not in the cold steel games and the voice acting in the sky games really isn't noticeable, at all

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Slippery Tilde

I like Olivier's "Your aim, please!" when you select him for your party.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

lets hang out posted:

I believe you can turn the battle voices off, and if you find the Japanese voice files somewhere you can just drop them into the directory and the game will use them. Google it.

There are undubs for the cold steel games but naturally you need a hacked console to play them. Someone will probably do the voices thing for the pc port when that happens even though that'll be kind of weird because they'll have to add a bunch of just silent files I guess.

Thanks! If you can just turn them off I don't know why no one said it sooner If I enjoy the first game I assume I'll be playing through all three Trails in the Sky games before getting to cold steel so that's a long ways off. It's console only for now and coming to PC later?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Your Computer posted:

Thanks! If you can just turn them off I don't know why no one said it sooner If I enjoy the first game I assume I'll be playing through all three Trails in the Sky games before getting to cold steel so that's a long ways off. It's console only for now and coming to PC later?

Cold Steel is "This summer" as of now. They showed off some achievement art the other day so they are getting close!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

For what it's worth also, any sky characters that appear in later games will probably re-cast and the new voices backported to the sky trilogy like they did with Bleublanc.

Olivier isn't re-voiced because Troy Baker and Matt Mercer sound the goddamn same.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

one cat, one vote, one beer

Pollyanna posted:

Are the PS4 Atelier games any good? Thinking of grabbing Sophie or Firis if they're anything like Ayesha.

I should look into Cold Steel and Berseria too...

They're ok but nothing at all like Ayesha

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Grimey Drawer

berseria is probably my favorite tales game and i really need to pick it up again. trying to finish nier:a though.. finally got ending a today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wow! Such savings? Cannot resist!

«1377 »