Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

multijoe posted:

Wasn't Teepo in BoF3 human?

iirc he's the same dragon-with-humanoid-body race as ryu is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Amppelix posted:

...yes. we're making the same point. I thought it was silly to bring up something so easily circumvented as if it was worse than progress-blocking minigames of the invariably unfun variety.

yeah of course. i mean like, the desert is a well known thing and you hear about it all the time, but it's not even the hardest part. maybe the minigames just get memory holed for a lot of players

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

multijoe posted:

Wasn't Teepo in BoF3 human?

End game spoilerTeepo is a member of the Dragon clan like Ryu and you fight him in the end game because he ended up working for the evil goddess.

That said, yeah I totally forgot Karn. And most of the Dragon clan usually look human? Well the men at least, the women tend to have enormous bat wings.

BoF2 also gets into some miscegenation which is a weird as gently caress thing for the series. One of the huge tragedies of the game is that the winged people can't turn into giant birds freely any more and to do so must go through a ritual where they lose their mind and turn into a giant bird permanently. This is because Nina from BoF1 ended up marrying outside the clan and diluted the bloodline.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Or that sick-rear end desert survival where all your instructions and directions are wrong.
No, no. The original instructions you were given were right.

The note you could read to remind yourself later was wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The White Dragon posted:

yeah of course. i mean like, the desert is a well known thing and you hear about it all the time, but it's not even the hardest part. maybe the minigames just get memory holed for a lot of players

I remember a lot of the mini games I just don't remember any of them being that hard.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Amppelix posted:

another text-related gripe in bof 3: the game has a text speed setting but the options are "laughably slow", "still unbearably slow" and "this would be the middle setting in another game but at least it's not horrible"

l i t t le m o n e y

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Jazerus posted:

l i t t le m o n e y

I know this is the RPG thread and we probably all do, but I still resent that I get this reference

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
little money is ftw. nobody in here is resenting my friend, little money

honestly the weirdest fft localization thing to me is how both versions of fft have full visual novels in the side content but even war of the lions leaves them untranslated. just entire chunks of the game nobody in the west seems to really know exist that have their own full soundtracks

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Ah, BoF IV. A great game but I was a dumb kid when I played it and got stuck in the desert and GameFAQs or whatever existed at the time didn't have a guide coherent enough for me to understand so I just kinda stopped there. I really should revisit it someday.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Karn was a human in BoF1 wasn't he? Just had some bloodline that allowed him to transform.

You could probably make a reasonable argument that Shamans (which Karn prooooobably is) are a separate human looking race, much like the Brood when they're not dragon-ing it up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ayyi5_h2o

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CYBEReris posted:

pso episode 3 was but i don't remember whether it was any good

It's very good.

There's also Arcana for SNES and Culdcept.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

So I've been trying to look for a game to sink my teeth into. I love a lot of games but just had no motivation to play any of 'em right now.

Then Chip in his FFVIIR LP mentioned Tifa as a punch girl which reminded me of a thread on r/JRPG asking for punch girl characters. Everybody else gave Persona answers like Chie or Lisa or Ulala but I said Savyna from Baten Kaitos. I'm happy to rep for a great, underrated gem of a JRPG and also Savyna was the best. But yeah, remembering that got me motivated to play a game.

Haven't played Baten Kaitos in 7 years. I had completely forgotten what a dickhead Kalas is. Spoilers and all, I remember that, but from the start of the game he's a shithead. What kinda compounds the shitheadiness is the fact "you" are a character. Kalas will say something assholish like "fight the Empire and save the world? Screw that! Right, Nick?" And you are given teh choice toa gree with him or not, but agreeing with him gives you special attacks in battle.

Also the voice-acting really is quite bad, at least the first few voices. I feel like some later voices (such as Savyna) are a bit better but Kalas and Xelha are the worst. Also I forgot all the.....pauses in dialogue.

Game is really a lot of fun, though. I remember the story gets more interesting after a while and I really like the battle system. Sakuraba's score is one of the best ever. Game lets you listen to the soundtrack whenever you want which is also awesome.

I'm very grateful you don't have to actually do anything with the card numbers. Thy start moving around later or something and it sucks. It was a totally unnecessary aspect of the battle system. I just ignored it and won anyway.

whaaaaaaaaat!?? the numbers are so important!! i really dont understand how you could get trough the game without paying attention to them. they also made the combat system so much more fun!

the numbers moving around is a status effect, confusion I think. Theres also one that puts them in the corners instead of the sides

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's very good.

There's also Arcana for SNES and Culdcept.
Culdcept is more like Monopoly/Fortune Street and Magic the Gathering/Yugioh had a kid. It's not really a JRPG.

E: - Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories is an ARPG, but it's still card-based.
- There was an Arc The Lad game for PS2 that had cards, IIRC. I think it's End of Darkness?

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 24, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there any other JRPGs centered around using cards?

Lost Kingdoms 1&2 on the Gamecube.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Culdcept is more like Monopoly/Fortune Street and Magic the Gathering/Yugioh had a kid. It's not really a JRPG.

Yeah, suppose so.

quote:

There was an Arc The Lad game for PS2 that had cards, IIRC. I think it's End of Darkness?

Ah yes, the very ill-fated online Arc game. Yeah each character had a set of cards you could equip or something.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
No. There was a non online one where you collected cards to summon the characters.

It was pretty bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

No. There was a non online one where you collected cards to summon the characters.

It was pretty bad.

Honest to god don't know then, because the online one definitely had cards and ToS didn't, those were the only PS2 Arcs. Unless the fuckin' Wonderswan or phone Arcs used cards then I'm at a loss.

e: and adding up to that, EoD is wretched

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I was thinking of EoD.

I'd just completely forgotten it had online play.

ToS was where the series should've ended. It's a decent game that shows the switching to 3d growing pains.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah..ToS wasn't like..bad, but..yeah. Would have been better if it was all the deimos campaign. Kharg and his party sucked.

quote:

The game was also produced by certain members of Zener Works Inc, developers of Okage: Shadow King

oh god

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 24, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tatjana was cool but yeah most of his party was kinda cookie cutter and dull.

Says a lot she's the only memorable one from his side.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 24, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh my god BoF III is loving taunting me with how many side excursions there are until you can bring your first new party members to any of the masters

the optimisation brainworms have definitely set in: i'm intentionally keeping nina's level as low as possibly by running away from battles and killing her off so she doesn't get EXP until i can finally get her to the sorcerer guy

this is surely 200% unnecessary for this game's difficulty level but i completely can't help myself!

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Baten Kaitos and it's sequel-prequel are both awesome games. I'd love a Switch version so I could play them again without excavating my Cube.

Mega Nerd Alert: I still use music from them a lot for playing during D&D.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
what kind of nerd admits to playing Dungeons and Dragons? In here, the Role Playing Game Thread: Attack and Dethrone God?

(for me it's mostly Xenoblade, FF8/FF9, Fire Emblem, and the occasional Silent Hill track)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Maru is cool because one of his skills is shooting down an airplane to land on the enemy

Honestly the game's battle system was really cool now that I think about it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i can't loving believe it, i thought i was finally getting to backtrack but no they managed to throw in ANOTHER sequence

they're doing this on purpose!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xalidur posted:

Baten Kaitos and it's sequel-prequel are both awesome games. I'd love a Switch version so I could play them again without excavating my Cube.

Mega Nerd Alert: I still use music from them a lot for playing during D&D.

Which is the good Baten Kaitos game of the two out of curiosity? I swear I heard one was really good and the other bad, but can't remember which is which.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lol why are you asking that in response to a post that clearly says both are awesome

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

lol why are you asking that in response to a post that clearly says both are awesome

Because I somehow missed that part :cripes:.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Amppelix posted:

i can't loving believe it, i thought i was finally getting to backtrack but no they managed to throw in ANOTHER sequence

they're doing this on purpose!

BoF 3 is psychological torture

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Hmmm Octopath is on sale

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because I somehow missed that part :cripes:.

While I do like both, I think the second one (Origins) is the better of the two. First game has a better plot twist, second game has better music and story overall. Gameplay is a little different in both but I wouldn't say I prefer one markedly more than the other one that department.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

oh my god BoF III is loving taunting me with how many side excursions there are until you can bring your first new party members to any of the masters

the optimisation brainworms have definitely set in: i'm intentionally keeping nina's level as low as possibly by running away from battles and killing her off so she doesn't get EXP until i can finally get her to the sorcerer guy

this is surely 200% unnecessary for this game's difficulty level but i completely can't help myself!

That's kind of funny, back when I was min-maxing my way through BoF III, I did the exact opposite and tried to use as many useful (as in, not with strong penalties) non-magic masters until I got her to the arguable two best masters. She ended up kind of beefy, nearly as destructive as Ryu himself. :v:

I think I spend more time looking up master tables and calculating which master should go where and to whom then actually playing the goddamn game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which is the good Baten Kaitos game of the two out of curiosity? I swear I heard one was really good and the other bad, but can't remember which is which.

they're both good, play both

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Libluini posted:

I think I spend more time looking up master tables and calculating which master should go where and to whom then actually playing the goddamn game

sometimes i love that optimising stuff is its own reward to me and sometimes i hate it. these two moods can swing between each other by the minute in some games.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I loved the first BK but just couldn't get into Origins. The revamped battle system just didn't click for me like the first did. Not only were there only 3 party members as opposed to the last game's 7, but they all had to share the same deck. This meant the various weapon cards were replaced with generic attack cards, and your hand would usually be filled with equipment and finisher cards that the turn character couldn't use clogging it up. Also the music wasn't as good. But on the plus side, better voice acting and you didn't have to go to a save point to level up (but only certain save points).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZZZorcerer posted:

Hmmm Octopath is on sale

How much? Cause, like, it’s not like the worst game ever but it’s gimmick suffered a lot from being halfassed and not being either SaGa as heck or more conventional JRPG where your party all interact.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Last Celebration posted:

How much? Cause, like, it’s not like the worst game ever but it’s gimmick suffered a lot from being halfassed and not being either SaGa as heck or more conventional JRPG where your party all interact.

50% off, but got Trials of Mana (also on sale) instead. Maybe next year I'll try it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've surprised myself by getting really into BoF III. I mean i did want to play it in the first place, but usually my goes at rpgs like this end somewhere around the 10 hour mark. Like i haven't gotten further than that in BoF IV, despite being extremely into what it's doing with its story and generally everything else too.

I think the, limited as it is, character customisation has to be what's keeping the whole thing in focus for me. Sometimes it can really be a magic bullet for my continued interest in games to just dangle the carrot of seeing my character building efforts come to fruition in the lategame in front of me.

Not to say that's the only part of III i like, but it certainly has its share of annoyances too. I've been keeping the speed up and savestate buttons very close at hand.

Also: i know IV has the masters system too but i remember absolutely nothing about that from my playtime of it so either i just missed it entirely or it's introduced very late. I should definitely make another go at IV after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bofiv has masters but i think it tones them down so much that there's basically only one actually worth using? idk i'm only like four hours in and just met the first one