Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Tried Breath of Fire 2 on the Switch SNES app; am actually a little pissed off to find that Breath of Fire 2 appears so far to not be a very good game

I played BoF1 as a kid and I remember being really annoyed that you have to input all your orders at the beginning of a turn, but your main healer was really slow, so by the time you knew someone needed to be healed, it may have already been too late to prevent them from dying before you could actually get a heal off, and the beginning of BoF2 has that happening already in the first dungeon.

Like, the enemies in it can do more than half of one character's HP bar's worth of damage in one turn, so if they both attack one person in one turn, then you queue a heal, and they both attack the same person the next turn, sorry but you're hosed. Running away has never once actually worked for me, and you have no way of reviving dead characters at the start of the game, and you can't get enough money to buy equipment apparently by design, so I could keep bashing my head against this system, or I could stop and do anything else

I dunno, sorry for the mad post, I have a 2-month-old and it's late and she won't go to sleep and the only 45 minutes I've had to myself today I spent on this game and it was annoying horseshit and I'm mad about it

The hidden secret to BoF2 is: Kill all enemies as fast as possible. The game is rocket tag, the JRPG. And be prepared for lots of reloads. At least on Switch you can have save states! The original on SNES often liked to hand out TPKs like candy when I was hours deep in some dungeon.

It's still interesting in hindsight how I love that game to death but can't really warm up to the first game. That's some rose tinted glasses I have, there. :shepface:

The very first dungeon is like a training round: Train up to level 4-6 or you will perish. The game tells you this by letting the first boss kill you repeatedly if you just walk straight through. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A Sometimes Food posted:

This is great to hear. Love when devs do early demos for feedback they actually listen to. It's what turned Nioh from what would have been a okay if massively overtuned game into a classic.

Yeah Koei Tecmo have been pretty good for that in the last few years - they turned Toukiden around pretty well from the first demo too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah Koei Tecmo have been pretty good for that in the last few years - they turned Toukiden around pretty well from the first demo too.

SE's Final Fantasy XV team also massively reworked their combat based on feedback from the demos.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Looks like Wizardry is now owned by a new company, Drecom, most famous for working on Disgaea RPG, the absolutely disastrous mobile Disgaea game.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/drecom-acquires-wizardry-copyright-and-trademark-rights-new-title-to-be-developed

Gematsu posted:

Japanese company Drecom has acquired the copyrights, as well as the domestic and foreign trademark rights to the “Wizardry” intellectual property and will develop a new title in the series, the company announced.

The acquisitions include the copyrights to “Wizardry 6,” “Wizardry 7,” “Wizardry 8,” and “Wizardry Gold,” as well as the domestic and foreign trademark rights to “Wizardry.”

The company said it will keep up its commitment to the acquisition of popular intellectual properties, as well as the development and cultivation of its internal properties.

Drecom is a mobile game developer based in Tokyo. Its past works include Disgaea RPG (co-developed with ForwardWorks), the mobile version of Everybody’s Golf (co-developed with ForwardWorks), Derby Stallion Masters, Chocotto Farm, Digimon ReArise (developed for Bandai Namco), Kirara Fantasia (developed for Aniplex), and more.

The new title is almost certainly a mobile game. I just hope this doesn't affect the existing Wizardry games that are available on Steam, GOG, etc.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

It looks like Drecom more recently developed Kirara Fantasia, a massive multi-crossover mobage which seems fairly popular in Japan?

e: oh disgaea rpg was the 2019 one that almost killed NIS; I thought it was the ancient flip phone game.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Well, given that I'm not gonna be playing BoF2

Can BoF3 or 4 be played on PS4? They're on the Playstation Store, but I can't see any more details because the site is down or something.

also Dragon Quests 4, 6, and 7 are on my list; someone give me a nudge one way or the other which way I should lean first

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Of those Dragon Quests I'd probably pick 4 but can't go wrong with any of them, really

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

Well, given that I'm not gonna be playing BoF2

Can BoF3 or 4 be played on PS4? They're on the Playstation Store, but I can't see any more details because the site is down or something.

also Dragon Quests 4, 6, and 7 are on my list; someone give me a nudge one way or the other which way I should lean first

which version of 7?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

loquacius posted:

Nope.

4 is a PS classic release and 3 is the PSP version (though only in the US I believe).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Looper posted:

which version of 7?

3DS would probably be easiest to pull off since I don't have a PSX and have never had good luck emulating it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Btw I got maybe 2/3rds of the way through DQ5, then stopped for baby reasons, and couldn't really get back into it because IMO it was too dependent on monster capturing which I could never friggin get to work :mad:

I really liked the child section of the game and the first part of the adult section but once you finish the first adult story arc it kind of suffers from there not being as much character interaction IMO

getting your wife involved didn't lead to as much of a replacement for it as I would have hoped either

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idk what psx emus you've tried using but if it was epsxe you could try using duckstation, that's the hot new psx emu and while i use beetle personally apparently duck's pretty easy to set up and definitely better than epsxe

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just use BizHawk. Works fine for all the games I've tried, and setup is simple. Main drawback is that it requires all games to be in bin/cue format.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

loquacius posted:

Btw I got maybe 2/3rds of the way through DQ5, then stopped for baby reasons, and couldn't really get back into it because IMO it was too dependent on monster capturing which I could never friggin get to work :mad:

I really liked the child section of the game and the first part of the adult section but once you finish the first adult story arc it kind of suffers from there not being as much character interaction IMO

getting your wife involved didn't lead to as much of a replacement for it as I would have hoped either

If you just plain never got any monsters besides Saber then it’s probably just because you missed one of the steps involved in learning how to tame them, there’s a whole bunch of monsters with really high recruit rates like slimes that can carry you pretty hard. If you were super unlucky and just hardly got anything that sucks, 5 is a real good JRPG and the third act had plenty of the character interaction you were looking for since your kids are party members and all.

Also like others said, 4 is the safest bet, preferably mobile if you don’t have an aversion to phone games (like me!) since the party chat is missing from the DS version. 7 is one of my favorites but it’s basically the most Dragon Quest-rear end Dragon Quests ever, you’ll be doing about 60 hours of those random town vignettes with ten hours of plot intermittently peppered so it’s more something to grab if you want a lot of moment to moment chunks of Dragon Quest. 6 is the most...there but it’s a competent game, just the most unremarkable SFC-and onwards title.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've been emulating on an Nvidia Shield; I just went and paid the $4 for EPSXE and it's running BoF4 just fine, and I actually quite enjoyed the first hour or so of that one. I think I've found my next game. Thanks all :tipshat:

Last Celebration posted:

If you just plain never got any monsters besides Saber then it’s probably just because you missed one of the steps involved in learning how to tame them, there’s a whole bunch of monsters with really high recruit rates like slimes that can carry you pretty hard. If you were super unlucky and just hardly got anything that sucks, 5 is a real good JRPG and the third act had plenty of the character interaction you were looking for since your kids are party members and all.

Also like others said, 4 is the safest bet, preferably mobile if you don’t have an aversion to phone games (like me!) since the party chat is missing from the DS version. 7 is one of my favorites but it’s basically the most Dragon Quest-rear end Dragon Quests ever, you’ll be doing about 60 hours of those random town vignettes with ten hours of plot intermittently peppered so it’s more something to grab if you want a lot of moment to moment chunks of Dragon Quest. 6 is the most...there but it’s a competent game, just the most unremarkable SFC-and onwards title.

I had a few monsters, but the only one worth a drat was a Slime Knight who served me well but was getting pretty long in the tooth by where I was, and I couldn't get anything better to save my life. Another problem was that I was playing a (translation-patched) SNES ROM, which in retrospect does not really seem to have been the definitive way to play the game. If I come back to it at some point it would probably have to be the DS version (same goes for DQ4 when I play that one).

e: or the phone version I guess if it has the most content. How are the touch controls? I absolutely hate when those are awkward.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 30, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I have 5 on mobile, and the touchscreen controls are... okay. Movement is still a little awkward, but it's not like you're expected to do precision platforming. You could absolutely play the game to the end on the mobile version. That said, I think the DS version is probably the best way to play DQ5, personally. 4 should absolutely be played on mobile, a little jank is well worth having party chat. 6 is a bit of a toss-up, it depends upon whether you prefer the controls on DS or the minor balance fixes they did on mobile.

Although I'm personally hoping for Switch ports like they did for the first three before I replay any of the Zenithia games. Heck, bring the whole drat series to Switch while you're at it, Squenix.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the thing i'm appreciating the most about atelier elie is that it has more actual meat to its characters, atelier marie was cute but like. it's probably a sign when the weapons shopkeeper has the most presence of any character in the game. schia's like... alright but as the one character who gets the most focus she. isn't really that memorable.

in comparison while nordis is kinda dull, eisel's a fun rival for elie who makes elie being more of a straight man than marie work pretty well, and hermina is a really fun character who simultaneously brings a lot of the best out of ingrid's writing, ingrid went from being a kinda funny but mostly just kinda there character in marie to one of the funniest in elie thanks to her. the only real complaint i have is that schia's whole wedding thing around the beginning still just. is extremely weird. like i get what they were going for with it but man it's just. weird. why is the man she marries not even a person who exists in the text of the world, guy's literally faceless and nameless

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Nope.

4 is a PS classic release and 3 is the PSP version (though only in the US I believe).

Ironically, you can also play BoF IV Classic Release on PSP. A couple months ago I replaced my aging PSP 3000 because the UMD-drive was broken, and when I tried out my cards I was pleasantly surprised to find BoF IV on one of them. I'd totally forgotten that I bought that thing back in PS3-days and downloaded it for my PSP.

So I can definitely confirm that both BoF III and IV are playable on European PSPs.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I see that SaGa: Scarlet Graces: Ambitions takes around 20 hours to beat the main story and 43 for all styles according to hltb.com. But looking up online I see people saying it took them almost 100 hours to beat the game. This would make more sense since their are four or five characters. Is it necessary to beat the game with more than one character or is it only something extra that just adds replay value?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 31, 2020

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

The Colonel posted:

i think the thing i'm appreciating the most about atelier elie is that it has more actual meat to its characters, atelier marie was cute but like. it's probably a sign when the weapons shopkeeper has the most presence of any character in the game. schia's like... alright but as the one character who gets the most focus she. isn't really that memorable.

in comparison while nordis is kinda dull, eisel's a fun rival for elie who makes elie being more of a straight man than marie work pretty well, and hermina is a really fun character who simultaneously brings a lot of the best out of ingrid's writing, ingrid went from being a kinda funny but mostly just kinda there character in marie to one of the funniest in elie thanks to her. the only real complaint i have is that schia's whole wedding thing around the beginning still just. is extremely weird. like i get what they were going for with it but man it's just. weird. why is the man she marries not even a person who exists in the text of the world, guy's literally faceless and nameless

The fact that they had time and actual money to put into Elie after Marie was made on the shoe-stringiest of budgets really shows the more you get into it. I can kind of agree about Elie's systems kind of...being there, but it's also indicative of how Gust just wanted to make a "more better" Atelier back then. They were basically putting in everything they could with wild and reckless abandon, and the game's scope is kind of part of the charm.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Airship games, makers of Battlechasers, next game will be League of Legends so I guess they're gambling on how unappealing they can make a game that Ill still play

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
elie is definitely an interesting game especially for the second game in the series, but i do feel like my opinion on it keeps going really up and down. mostly because i really like some of the writing but in other ways it falls into stuff that uh, i'm really happy later atelier games, don't. it's kinda boring to me how much every younger female character in the game's writing tends to come back to romance with boys to the point that even eisel just gets a lot less interesting to me when her writing suddenly starts centering around her having a crush on nordis, and it makes it a bit weirder to me how half of the dialog options about elie's future aspirations come back to "some day i want to marry a man" or "i will not some day marry a man"

that's kinda just a personal complaint based on comparing it to things i like more about modern atelier games though. it's not like an objective fault

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 31, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, that's Disgaea 4 beaten. Now I've got a bit more context on some of these weirdos and it wasn't too bad.

Fuka's thing kinda felt like a first draft at times, I was kind of hoping they'd do something a big more interesting than flatly denying things and claiming that everything's actually just a dream she's having. She was still a solid unit in gameplay though and that's the most important thing for me though, since I tend to use characters with unique models more than generic ones anyway.

I never really cared about Emizel though.

For someone who never played YIIK I got a real Alex vibe from the final boss though.

Going for another run through of Disgaea 5 now and oh man these menus are so nice and simple. Also it's very nice to see statisticians again after they didn't exist in 4.

I'm gonna miss Gig, Stella and Rutile though. At least Priere is always here to stay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah pretty much no-one does

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah pretty much no-one does

Oh phew, great I'm not just a heartless rear end in a top hat then.

There was this one part of the plot that kinda bugged me with the new threat showing up and everyone going ' oh no it's hopeleas and Valvatorez being too oblivious to take them as a threat and snapping then out of it like five times but now I can't think of any specific examples.

So, I had no idea what anyone's deal was until playing the game now, I just used them as DLC characters for 5 because I messed up and bought the season pass which didn't include the game itself. I liked Valvatorez, Fuka, and Desco as units, never bothered with Emizel, Fenrich or Artina though. Artina's character started growing on me at the literally last part of the game right before the end screen so oh well :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, that's Disgaea 4 beaten. Now I've got a bit more context on some of these weirdos and it wasn't too bad.

Fuka's thing kinda felt like a first draft at times, I was kind of hoping they'd do something a big more interesting than flatly denying things and claiming that everything's actually just a dream she's having. She was still a solid unit in gameplay though and that's the most important thing for me though, since I tend to use characters with unique models more than generic ones anyway.

For someone who never played YIIK I got a real Alex vibe from the final boss though.

Going for another run through of Disgaea 5 now and oh man these menus are so nice and simple. Also it's very nice to see statisticians again after they didn't exist in 4.

I'm gonna miss Gig, Stella and Rutile though. At least Priere is always here to stay.

lol, I’m like 95% sure statisticians exist, it’s just that they’re super duper rare and you can only get them randomly in those item world maps with tons of innocents.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Battlechasers was way too bloated with and boring.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

lol, I’m like 95% sure statisticians exist, it’s just that they’re super duper rare and you can only get them randomly in those item world maps with tons of innocents.

Yeah you have to hope you get some when you try amd reverse pirate an item.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RareAcumen posted:

Oh phew, great I'm not just a heartless rear end in a top hat then.

Don't worry, I literally forgot he existed until I saw him in the Disgaea 5 Complete DLC.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

'Grats on beating Disgaea 4. Myself, I just made a huge step backward because I got beaten up by Vulcanus pretty badly. Wasn't expecting this going into an extra ending and punting me to cycle 2, though. I've decided to roll with it and used the cheating gal station to power up the enemies so I can collect a bit of exp and mana while I'm blitzing through the early game again. :v:

Emizel is basically a skull with some extra skills. Though his resists are uniform, so sometimes it's nice to have him as mage-back-up. (Mostly though I just like his scared reaping skill. It's cute. :3: )

Edit:

I started the fight against Vulcanus slightly above her level, but after she attacked, she managed to take out 2-3 characters in one go, powering up a lot in the process. Also my survivors managed to miss a lot. She's astonishingly slippery if you're roughly the same level! Of course after killing 9 out of 10 characters, she was like 10 levels above my last character's level, so it wasn't even close.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 1, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's still weird to me that Disgaea 1 and Disgaea 4 both have a character named Vulcanus and they're not the same.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

It's still weird to me that Disgaea 1 and Disgaea 4 both have a character named Vulcanus and they're not the same.

It’s 100% meant to weird you out cause it’s basically a troll, iirc promotional material even was like “this mysterious angel...could she have a connection to *that* person???”.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Libluini posted:

'Grats on beating Disgaea 4. Myself, I just made a huge step backward because I got beaten up by Vulcanus pretty badly. Wasn't expecting this going into an extra ending and punting me to cycle 2, though. I've decided to roll with it and used the cheating gal station to power up the enemies so I can collect a bit of exp and mana while I'm blitzing through the early game again. :v:

Emizel is basically a skull with some extra skills. Though his resists are uniform, so sometimes it's nice to have him as mage-back-up. (Mostly though I just like his scared reaping skill. It's cute. :3: )

Edit:

I started the fight against Vulcanus slightly above her level, but after she attacked, she managed to take out 2-3 characters in one go, powering up a lot in the process. Also my survivors managed to miss a lot. She's astonishingly slippery if you're roughly the same level! Of course after killing 9 out of 10 characters, she was like 10 levels above my last character's level, so it wasn't even close.

Oh, I cheated a lot to beat the game because I don't play Disgaea smartly. I put in the cheat code on the title screen that unlocks all the end game features. I don't think I was supposed to have the cheat shop or at least, the ability to make enemies stronger at the point I was at. I did that, cranked up EXP and Mana and started grinding, looked around on the internet and found out that if you turn the enemy strength up to 8/20 all the enemies on 5-2 will be level 99 and that triggers a glitch that's been in every applicable Disgaea-esq game like this that makes Lvl 99 enemies give the same amount of exp as a level 323 enemy. So I fought those guys a lot, mainly relying on the two units that unlock in the senate when you put that code in; Stella and Rutile, and the Warrior's unique skill that doubles attack for a single unit.

I looked around more because I can't just sit still and play a game, I've gotta spoil it for myself at every opportunity, and found that the one of those extra stories (The Flashback Episode) on the map screen unlocks Tyrant Valvatorez if you complete it- which assumes you've beaten the entire game, so maybe skip all the cutscenes the first time around and watch them later if you don't want more reveals spoiled when you start it- so, I did that in a heartbeat.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

RareAcumen posted:

level 99 and that triggers a glitch that's been in every applicable Disgaea-esq game like this that makes Lvl 99 enemies give the same amount of exp as a level 323 enemy.

FYI that's not actually a glitch. It's just that the EXP enemies give out are based on the EXP to next level, and the game uses different formulas for that below level 100 (a roughly exponential one) and level 100 and higher (a roughly linear one). Which leads to this weird EXP graph:

You can feel this out for yourself if you're not yet in postgame-levels of stats, it's pretty noticeable that going from level 99 to 100 takes a lot longer than going from 100 to 101.

(source and more details here)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

elie is definitely an interesting game especially for the second game in the series, but i do feel like my opinion on it keeps going really up and down. mostly because i really like some of the writing but in other ways it falls into stuff that uh, i'm really happy later atelier games, don't. it's kinda boring to me how much every younger female character in the game's writing tends to come back to romance with boys to the point that even eisel just gets a lot less interesting to me when her writing suddenly starts centering around her having a crush on nordis, and it makes it a bit weirder to me how half of the dialog options about elie's future aspirations come back to "some day i want to marry a man" or "i will not some day marry a man"

that's kinda just a personal complaint based on comparing it to things i like more about modern atelier games though. it's not like an objective fault

Its invisible until a second playthrough but all those choices all affect the endings you get. Like they're almost always paired with a choice to say "I want to be a great alchemist!" and one other category I forget, I think.

Atelier had not yet decided it was the series about lesbians though for sure. I think Elie/Marie was the first popular-ish pairing and based on the writing around it I'm inclined to believe its an entirely accidental pairing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

FYI that's not actually a glitch. It's just that the EXP enemies give out are based on the EXP to next level, and the game uses different formulas for that below level 100 (a roughly exponential one) and level 100 and higher (a roughly linear one). Which leads to this weird EXP graph:

You can feel this out for yourself if you're not yet in postgame-levels of stats, it's pretty noticeable that going from level 99 to 100 takes a lot longer than going from 100 to 101.

(source and more details here)

This is a level of data diving I would never think to go into personally, but thank you for providing it.

Certainly living up to your rep as the data/tech/of the games forum guy though :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I guess it's more of a title?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

I guess it's more of a title?

I think the Vulcanus from 4 is just using it to screw with people though given her character.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mokinokaro posted:

I think the Vulcanus from 4 is just using it to screw with people though given her character.

Yeah, she deliberately chose the name to hide her identity. I could swear she explicitly spells this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah, she deliberately chose the name to hide her identity. I could swear she explicitly spells this out.

Oh yeah, probably. It's been a while since I paid attention to the D4 story I guess :v: