Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

i'm quickly coming to the conclusion that the goemon games with official english releases are in fact the best ones

i remeber liking the goeomon game after the 3d one where its a multiplayer sidescroller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

i'm quickly coming to the conclusion that the goemon games with official english releases are in fact the best ones

tbh goemon 1 on snes has inoffensive jokes compared to goemon 2 but goemon 2 is a much less awful game to actually play

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the funniest thing in all of goemon is that the second goemon rpg on nes (or it might be the action game? idk there's, two goemon rpgs and two goemon action games on nes) ends with the twist that ebisumaru was actually a beautiful woman who was cursed to look like an ugly bumbling fat guy the whole time, and they finally turn her back into her true form.

the series never acknowledged this ebisumaru lore again but i guess it explains why the second reboot made ebisumaru a tiny girl

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 25, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goemon is lowkey one of the more baffling video game series to ever exist

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've always been a huge fan of Mystical Ninja N64 as far as Goemon games go, because even as a kid while I didn't 'get' all the references and little mythology/history jokes, it was still quirky and funny and had all sorts of weird poo poo happening all the time which I found fun. Coming back to it as an adult and catching all the stuff I missed was an experience, whoever they got on the localization front really had some fun with it but kept it all recognizable enough if you knew the reference.

But from what I'm seeing here, it sounds like the rest are either wildly different, or just kinda not good? That's a shame, I kinda wanted to try out others to see if they had that same sort of charm.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

it was funny back when VGCW was a big thing they introduced the mystical ninjas tag team and based on audience reception in like three weeks goemon was off the show and ebisumaru was getting a bunch of storyline focus. that's my goemon story

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm also quickly coming to the conclusion that command mission is a big slog in the second half. random encounters just take too long for how frequent they are and i can't really think of any remedies that don't involve a bunch of grinding

edit: three minutes in a battle, thirty seconds out of battle, two minutes in another battle :negative:

Looper fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 25, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean they all hit similar notes in how weird and quirky their humor is they just also, are largely written like bad 90s shounen comedy manga that keep repeating the worst jokes you'd find in one of those. and every snes game except the second one for some reason makes every possible gameplay decision you could make to keep the game from actually being fun

though kirakira douchuu, the fourth snes game, does inexplicably have a part where a purple doom guy tries to murder you

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shyfted One posted:

Wow, was not expecting that twist in Tales of Berseria Laphicet being Innominat and it being his idea (although what was Artorius' plan if Laphicet didn't offer himself?) I knew there had to be something because of how little info they were giving you with Artorius after tens of hours of gameplay.

i don’t think Laphicet specifically being Inominat is hinted anywhere but theres a book in that one temple you go in to kill the drug lord priest that details the Twelve Year Sickness and um, yeah, it’s pretty illuminating to at least part of the twist. I think Phi’s character side quest is him making a friend with someone dying of the Sickness too with the same symptoms as Laphi, though I don’t remember if that part comes up before the reveal.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I never knew there were so many of those games.

The only one I played was Mystical Ninja on the N64, and I remember it being really weird but kinda fun? I rented it a lot at least. I wonder if it actually holds up at all, or is a total disaster as well

it holds up in english because the localizers made the queer-bashing a lot less overt. goemon & co. just refer to the villains as "weirdos" while from what i understand, in japanese it was a much more specific gay-panic kind of thing

i love the overall atmosphere of goemon and really wish there were still games like that coming out frequently, but they almost always have this problem and it sucks

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So uh... Bravely Default II is out tomorrow and I forgot that Bravely Second was a thing at all

Also Default II seems like it’s pretty drat hard at some points, so someone has to be excited

goblin week posted:

holy poo poo it’s caled other m because mother

After defeating Mother Brain, Samus laments the loss of The Baby (Metroid) and how it gave its life for hers. But she now has to go to the BOTTLE SHIP (game puts it in all caps sometimes?) because her ship was in range of its distress signal named “Baby’s Cry”

Other M was... not very subtle about anything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jazerus posted:

it holds up in english because the localizers made the queer-bashing a lot less overt. goemon & co. just refer to the villains as "weirdos" while from what i understand, in japanese it was a much more specific gay-panic kind of thing

i love the overall atmosphere of goemon and really wish there were still games like that coming out frequently, but they almost always have this problem and it sucks

tbf the gay bashing in the n64 games is way less bad than the snes games

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Any hot tips for Suikoden 1? Is it easy enough to gently caress around and pick random dialogue choices? Do they matter at all?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
beating the game is effortless, but you should find a guide if you want to recruit everyone and get the good ending.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

beating the game is effortless, but you should find a guide if you want to recruit everyone and get the good ending.

also be sure to keep Pan leveled and geared up

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Probably the worst offender of this is that there's a late game character that requires you have 4 specific characters in your party. This isn't so bad except for the fact that there are very few points in the story where you have 4 open character slots, as often plot-critical party members are filling them up. It's entirely possible to be locked out of him entirely just because plot characters are too loving clingy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
is there something resembling a low spoiler guide that also tells you how to recruit everyone, or is that an insane ask?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Arzaac posted:

Probably the worst offender of this is that there's a late game character that requires you have 4 specific characters in your party. This isn't so bad except for the fact that there are very few points in the story where you have 4 open character slots, as often plot-critical party members are filling them up. It's entirely possible to be locked out of him entirely just because plot characters are too loving clingy.

Can confirm, this sucks and happened to me the first time I beat the game.

poe meater posted:

Any hot tips for Suikoden 1? Is it easy enough to gently caress around and pick random dialogue choices? Do they matter at all?

I'll spoiler these since they let you kinda break the game difficulty:

* The "guess the cup" game, on PSX, is not randomized so just memorize the first couple of spots and stop playing/start playing and do this to make 500k or so Potch really fast if you want tons of money at the start of the game.
* Since you gain XP on a curve you can use this to power level by xping in areas outside of progress. IE: When you head through the south checkpoint you can head south in to the forest and fight a 6 enemy fight that will jump your levels to possibly higher than that area (and much higher than the house/lake castle areas).
* Using the above, when you get to the warrior village you can have a 2x xp rune by that point. You can also have a window where you only have the main character. If you give the champion rune to someone and take them + Tir to Neclord's castle and do the 5 enemy fight with the nightmare/unicorn thing, you can boost that non-Tir character to endgame levels or higher. Taking Tir there solo will also let you do the same to him.

If you're going to play Suikoden 2 (and you absolutely should without question because the story is great), certain characters carry over certain things. Armor on Humphrey is a big one (so give him windspun armor in S1). I think a bunch of other characters carry partial weapon levels over.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are probably multiple guides to that effect on gamefaqs. ps1 era rpgs got a lot of love.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm taking a break on my Wizardry journey for now. Just finished 3 and due to thread warning about 4 decided I need to be in a mindset to have my balls stepped on in high heels before I begin. So I want to recharge before going on.

I want to try Arx Fatalis now before I go back. I looked up mods for it and there's a few but none stand out as the MUST HAVE best to play it in 2021. I even saw a unity engine port. Anyone have any recommendations they've tried for a recent playthrough ?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Givin posted:

I'm taking a break on my Wizardry journey for now. Just finished 3 and due to thread warning about 4 decided I need to be in a mindset to have my balls stepped on in high heels before I begin. So I want to recharge before going on.

Please do not play Wizardry 4. It is not a game meant to be played by humans.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are the good Wizardry games? I realized I've never played one but I do love dungeon crawlers.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ethiser posted:

Please do not play Wizardry 4. It is not a game meant to be played by humans.
It is sadistic, but drat I love that box. The red foil embossing on the black textured box just works so well.

"FOR EXPERT PLAYERS ONLY"

Harrow posted:

What are the good Wizardry games? I realized I've never played one but I do love dungeon crawlers.
6-8 are generally considered the peak of the Western-only ones.

The PS2 one Tales of the Forsaken Land is probably my favorite aside from that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When sir tech designed the early wizardry games they had no accounting for the idea that people would jump on kid series, wizardry 4 is designed for the super fans who already beat the hell outta the first three games and it shows.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

poe meater posted:

Certain dialogue choices will absolutely matter, but they're dramatic as hell, you'll probably know them when you see them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaius Marius posted:

When sir tech designed the early wizardry games they had no accounting for the idea that people would jump on kid series, wizardry 4 is designed for the super fans who already beat the hell outta the first three games and it shows.

Making a game that only appeals to people who bought and beat your previous 3 games seems like a bad business plan.

Let's pretend 1 million people bought Wizardry 3 (no idea if that's way less or way more than the real number) and 50% beat it (that number is way too high)

"Let's make a game that only half a million people will enjoy, maximum"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Harrow posted:

Wiz 8 is pretty cool and much better than say, Ultima's 3D attempt.

There's a Wiz thread in the archives here that should have some good suggestions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551202

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Making a game that only appeals to people who bought and beat your previous 3 games seems like a bad business plan.

Let's pretend 1 million people bought Wizardry 3 (no idea if that's way less or way more than the real number) and 50% beat it (that number is way too high)

"Let's make a game that only half a million people will enjoy, maximum"

welllll

having wiz 4 just be really hard if you had never played any of the other three was actually a step up as a business plan

wiz 2 & wiz 3 both required you to own wiz 1, because they didn't come with a character creator; you had to import characters from wiz 1. furthermore, wiz 2 expects you to import a game-winning (or at least very high-level) party from wiz 1, and if you play legit, then when a character dies permanently in wiz 2, you have to go back and grind their replacement up in wiz 1 before importing. wiz 3, wisely, expects level 1 characters and in fact de-levels you if you're higher.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh they realized that later brenda romero was on the retro hour last week talking about it. This was the wild west days of game design though it at ultima were basically the only games in the genre they had no idea what they were really doing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jazerus posted:

welllll

having wiz 4 just be really hard if you had never played any of the other three was actually a step up as a business plan

wiz 2 & wiz 3 both required you to own wiz 1, because they didn't come with a character creator; you had to import characters from wiz 1. furthermore, wiz 2 expects you to import a game-winning (or at least very high-level) party from wiz 1, and if you play legit, then when a character dies permanently in wiz 2, you have to go back and grind their replacement up in wiz 1 before importing. wiz 3, wisely, expects level 1 characters and in fact de-levels you if you're higher.

How the gently caress did this company live long enough to make the rest of the series?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
have you seen the video game market in the 80s

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Skwirl posted:

How the gently caress did this company live long enough to make the rest of the series?

coasting on wiz 1 money (including licensing it to ASCII Software for distribution in japan which made, uh, a lot of money) for 8 years until they fired woodhead & greenberg and hired david bradley, who might have been a goofy fucker but he had played RPGs other than wizardry. also, selling wizardry hint books and publishing a few games by independent devs. wiz 1 was a better dungeon crawler than anything that would be produced by anybody for several years after - might & magic is probably the first game that really outdoes it, a whole 5 years later!

the sir-tech staff was like, ten people tops, including two rich failsons as management, so they had a lot of room to sit around and make bad decisions in the wake of their single mega-hit

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The Colonel posted:

have you seen the video game market in the 80s
this. wizardry 2's handling of import characters is insane in retrospect, but back then nobody knew what the gently caress. also if you take out the permadeath angle it's just an expansion pack, which became a popular trend, so actually wizardry 2 was ahead of its time

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah keep in mind that this was the period of time people were flinging poo poo at the wall to see what stuck. They were far from the only company to do wild stuff like that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the actually insane thing about wiz 4 that made it a commercial failure is that it's both way too hard, and runs on exactly the same engine as wiz 1. mechanically, graphically, the works

so let's say you're an rpg enthusiast with an apple II and a sega master system shopping in early 1988. you can go home with this...

or this

Iverron
May 13, 2012

b-bernie?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

woah! wizard bernie!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
He's gonna distribute a wealth of pain among everyone equally :black101:.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

"Hint Book BEGINNER LEVEL Enclosed"

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tamba posted:

"Hint Book BEGINNER LEVEL Enclosed"