Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it’s referring to the guide on the first floor of the dungeon enclosed in the packaging, but yeah that is pretty dumb wording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Knowing Wiz4 it might as well have been an A4 scan of Robert Woodhead's bunghole

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Skwirl posted:

is there something resembling a low spoiler guide that also tells you how to recruit everyone, or is that an insane ask?
Suikosource is good for all things suikoden. they have lists of all the characters and recruitment conditions but those are obviously full of spoilers. for most (maybe all?) games, their full walkthrough also contains a section which just lists chronologically what character you can get at every major story beat and how to do so which is perfect for this.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Saw an article about a game called Another Eden the cat beyond space and time and saw it was written by the ff7 and chrono trigger writer and that it has 100+ characters and was getting interested then my heart sank when I read about how pre registering on steam will get you lots of different currencies and then saw screenshots and realized it’s a gacha phone port.

Why does this keep happening to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another Eden is one of those "you can do everything in the game just with the free characters" gachas but what I've found is that gacha mobile RPGs just tend to have a style of gameplay I don't find compelling, either. Like they have to be all about building hyper-specialized teams and spending like six different currencies on improving your characters and their gear which then let you explode every battle you run into, because that's what gets you to roll for more characters. Gotta have the perfect team!

If you were ever gonna play a gacha, Another Eden is one of the better ones, but I found that even if I never had to spend any money on it I just didn't want to play it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Every single Gacha game can technically be done with the free stuff they throw at you.

What is also true that nobody mentions is it always sucks rear end because you will run into very, very obvious walls where they want you to spend money and it makes the game suck rear end.

My brain is just wired weird where the second I see that I have to spend money for the chance to get a character I want? Throw that game into the trash it’s garbage. Have a gacha in a game where I can farm the in game currency (no pay option to go faster either that is important) to unlock characters, e.g. Xenoblade 2? Hell yeah sign me up for that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Another Eden's crossover collabs run forever too, so if the Steam version has the Persona 5 crossover then once you can get Joker and Morgana you're pretty much set for the main story since Morgana can heal a ton and Joker's got rather high damage potential. You can clear a ton of trash mobs simply by swapping Joker in to the fight and having his entry AOE kill stuff (and if any enemy is weak to slashing he fires the aoe 2x).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ime gachas that are technically playable with defaults compensate with absurdly convoluted and confusing horizontal progression i.e. equipment upgrades where you are easily blindsided into costly, wasteful mistakes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my experience with mobage is less that they're too hard to play free and more that the gameplay just isn't very dynamic. fgo and arknights are the only two i really play much and i enjoy arknights' tower defense stuff well enough, but fgo i think i'd legitimately just enjoy more as a plain visual novel

though arknights also just makes grinding actually something sane people can do with auto deploy while fgo has like zero automation so if you want to level anything, have fun tapping away at quick arts buster for five hours lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Most of the popular gachas have pretty easy story content and want to get new players to blow through it as fast as possible for retention reasons. Whaling usually amounts to a convenience/competition thing.

Which isn't to defend gacha at all, but I think it's important to recognize what they actually do since otherwise they actually benefit from the stereotypes since they can then get sold as "not like the others."

That said Another Eden is genuinely just a normal JRPG that happens to have a gacha. No limited time events iirc beyond banner cycling, everything's a permanent content add. That said I found it pretty vanilla and I dropped off because updates started failing on my phone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's big gulf of difference between PVE gacha and PVP gacha. Not a single PVE gacha is ever gate kept by rolling because that's just suicide in today's market.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

super robot wars cross omega was and i still remember the time so many people were complaining about challenge stages being impossible with f2p units that one of the lead devs literally streamed himself trying to beat it with low rarity units for 3 hours

he could not beat it even after 3 hours and just silently ended the stream, and the next day the fight was nerfed

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I'm pretty sure I done this wheel of fortune 30+ times by now. It'll be a lot easier to digest if the enemies died quicker.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bravely Default 2 is neat so far but wow they just barely got this running on the switch, huh? It's not even a pretty game and everything is aliased as hell yet it still takes 3-5 seconds to load into a battle and anytime you talk to an npc that starts a cutscene you can practically see the game struggling to transition to it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

There's big gulf of difference between PVE gacha and PVP gacha. Not a single PVE gacha is ever gate kept by rolling because that's just suicide in today's market.

*laughs in FFBE*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, so uh, what the hell is this end game for Blacksmith of the Sand Kingdom.

I went from you need to sell 500,000 worth of stuff to you need to sell 2,500,000 of stuff but the new items are at best double the value. I also don't really have anything that remotely requires this investment and the XP benefits of food which kept pace for about 2/3rds of the game just plummeted off a cliff so thats not even a viable sink anymore. What do I even do with this money, 90% of the ingredients I need I can max out my carrying stock in a single dungeon run and the remaining ones are dirt cheap compratively.

Im just burning days trying to sell my inventory and hit the shop targets. Also what teeny bit of story that exists just swerved in a way that defused itself with no player input or satisfaction.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Harrow posted:

Another Eden is one of those "you can do everything in the game just with the free characters" gachas but what I've found is that gacha mobile RPGs just tend to have a style of gameplay I don't find compelling, either. Like they have to be all about building hyper-specialized teams and spending like six different currencies on improving your characters and their gear which then let you explode every battle you run into, because that's what gets you to roll for more characters. Gotta have the perfect team!

If you were ever gonna play a gacha, Another Eden is one of the better ones, but I found that even if I never had to spend any money on it I just didn't want to play it.

The most interesting thing about Another Eden imo is that it tries to avoid FOMO by making every single event a permanent addition to the game. Which can honestly be kind of overwhelming if you're starting fresh and see this giant pile of lengthy sidequests. What made me stop playing though was the incredible amount of powercreep, basically requiring you to use 5* characters to accomplish anything, and of those only the newest 5 stars are any good. Even the stuff they added to upgrade older characters requires you to beat superbosses that you probably can't beat with only older/low rarity characters.

To be fair, they're pretty generous with event freebies, but frankly I don't want to play an original game where 90% of my good characters are cameos from Persona 5 and the Tales series.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the bravely default character model art style does not transition well to a big screen imho

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that would be because it wasn't great in the first place and carried by the stylised artstyle which they no longer have

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it looks really bad and i couldn't play much of the demo because of how much i dislike the look lmao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think bravely default simply should have steered into recreating low res psx graphics on modern hardware instead

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Colonel posted:

i think bravely default simply should have steered into recreating low res psx graphics on modern hardware instead
Go all in on the "ripping off FF5" thing they've got going on and make everything 8x8 sprites. 16x16 for battles.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know if it's because I mostly play my Switch handheld but I don't really have any problems with BD2's models. Maybe they're a little weirder than the 3ds games but not to a big extent.

Honestly, I think the artstyle for the towns has had a rougher transition. I guess they still look nice but they feel kinda weird to navigate. It's hard to explain but it doesn't come off right to me.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know if it's because I mostly play my Switch handheld but I don't really have any problems with BD2's models. Maybe they're a little weirder than the 3ds games but not to a big extent.

Honestly, I think the artstyle for the towns has had a rougher transition. I guess they still look nice but they feel kinda weird to navigate. It's hard to explain but it doesn't come off right to me.

This is where I was with the demo as well. I liked the look of most of the models but I was also playing on handheld, but navigating the town felt very odd. I can only hope it was just that 1 town and the rest of the game will be ok.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I honestly wasn't sure if I was going crazy or not but I'm glad it's not just me..I also found the town really awkward to navigate. And sadly the second town is the same.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Commander Keene posted:

Go all in on the "ripping off FF5" thing they've got going on and make everything 8x8 sprites. 16x16 for battles.

Kinda like the Dragon Quest 11S pixel mode? I'd definitely enjoy it if another big RPG included a demake mode.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Just started playing Fire Emblem Three Houses after girlfriend got a Switch; FE7 on GBAdvance was my favorite handheld game ever. Games like Suikoden and FE where you can recruit a unique cast of characters with their own specialized strengths you can pump or choose to level their secondary attributes. Also combining them in pairs like Suikoden I found extremely fun.
Suikoden III was the only one I played start to finish with all recruits and it's my favorite PS2 RPG. I got on V recently with emulator after reading how highly people thought of it but the beginning was extremely slow as I had known going in. I know I gotta play II first and foremost but I was waiting to get a PSP I could play on, which never happened. Might just force myself to get on emulator to finally play it.
I know Fire Emblem isn't the same game at all and I've only played 7 of it as well but it did remind me of my love of recruiting characters on Suikoden III, not sure how much Three Houses is the same.
What are some other RPGs that have a lot of unique characters you can recruit throughout the game that feels fun to level them?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chrono Cross springs to mind

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Depends on what you mean by 'fun to level'. Off the top of my head rpgs with lots of charaters, though:

Radiata stories (like 150)

LISA (around 30)

strictly speaking, Pokemon.

That one rpg maker with 500 characters

baldur's gate, 20 or so

agarest senki

caligula effect overdose like 500

eiyuu senki 70 or so

exit fate (which was inspired by suikoden specifically iirc) 70-something

valkyrie profile

Summon Night 2, maybe? I forget.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 28, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Chrono Cross springs to mind
Definitely top 5 PS1 game for me, never played trigger but Chrono Cross was probably the first RPG I played start to finish as a kid. Definitely m
blew me away and probably started my GameFAQs addiction.

edit; And I guess I'm not sure what I mean by fun to level I guess. But I can reference in Suiklden III and how incredibly fun it was to level up recruits who could team with other to do massive things.
Like leveling up Juan the martial arts dude that always loving sleeping chewing straw, this yellow scarf item made him sleep+etc status immune so he was always awake quad smacking the poo poo out of everything in sight (with Fury rune). No other secondarily character/recruit progression & leveling has ever been more fun or satisfying that in S3 in my opinion.
Seems like Three Houses has some type of assist gameplay aspect too which could be good.

knox fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 28, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exit fate is a great fanmade suikoden clone, yeah. the art's a bit wonky and the writing isn't as smart as it thinks it is and can be a bit bland at times but the writing still isnt bad and there's a few funny bits

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Bravely Default 2 is neat so far but wow they just barely got this running on the switch, huh? It's not even a pretty game and everything is aliased as hell yet it still takes 3-5 seconds to load into a battle and anytime you talk to an npc that starts a cutscene you can practically see the game struggling to transition to it.

I lost it during the cutscene where Elvis has a flashback, and it takes so long to load it in, and load back out

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

knox posted:

Just started playing Fire Emblem Three Houses after girlfriend got a Switch; FE7 on GBAdvance was my favorite handheld game ever. Games like Suikoden and FE where you can recruit a unique cast of characters with their own specialized strengths you can pump or choose to level their secondary attributes. Also combining them in pairs like Suikoden I found extremely fun.
Suikoden III was the only one I played start to finish with all recruits and it's my favorite PS2 RPG. I got on V recently with emulator after reading how highly people thought of it but the beginning was extremely slow as I had known going in. I know I gotta play II first and foremost but I was waiting to get a PSP I could play on, which never happened. Might just force myself to get on emulator to finally play it.
I know Fire Emblem isn't the same game at all and I've only played 7 of it as well but it did remind me of my love of recruiting characters on Suikoden III, not sure how much Three Houses is the same.
What are some other RPGs that have a lot of unique characters you can recruit throughout the game that feels fun to level them?

You should just go emulate Suikoden II. Its the best game in the series

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im playing persona 3 portable trying to give this franchise more of a fair shake after burning out on it 13 years ago and uh, I don't think its going to happen. They've built a game of things I don't like and even with lady main character and desparately needed fixes to the social links Im struggling to stay engaged.

Back to kemco trash

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Im playing persona 3 portable trying to give this franchise more of a fair shake after burning out on it 13 years ago and uh, I don't think its going to happen. They've built a game of things I don't like and even with lady main character and desparately needed fixes to the social links Im struggling to stay engaged.

Back to kemco trash

I love Persona and I couldn't really do P3P. The lack of environments to run around and portraits-only cutscenes just kinda suck the fun out of it for me.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Don't forget the 256 floors of tartarus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

I love Persona and I couldn't really do P3P. The lack of environments to run around and portraits-only cutscenes just kinda suck the fun out of it for me.

Its funny because the lack of environments is something I like, but its just further highlighting that I don't care for anything that happens outside of Tartarus. Each time I hit a floor gate Im like, oh, cool, I guess I stop having fun now.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
p3p is basically a coin flip of whether you prefer having a version with cheaper presentation that lets you avoid most of the annoyances of the combat and weirder social links, or a version that's more interesting to look at but makes a joke about how trans people are scary

if you don't like the core loop of persona at all then yeah it's gonna do nothing for you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Its funny because the lack of environments is something I like, but its just further highlighting that I don't care for anything that happens outside of Tartarus. Each time I hit a floor gate Im like, oh, cool, I guess I stop having fun now.

Have you ever played the first two Persona games? They don't have the life sim stuff. The Persona 2 duology is good as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Play persona 1