Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Banishing monsters to an alternate dimension and having to fight them all at once is a great metaphor for how I procrastinate things that need to be done until they fall upon me like a crushing wave.

Shame I'll never play the game while it's stuck on Apple Arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, I hope it comes elsewhere because if nothing else those environments are really cool.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Little bit more on Saga Frontier, there's a confirmed physical Switch/PS4 release on Play-Asia.
It's going to be $40 and released at the same time as the digital release.
Screenshots show that you can now have more than 15 characters in your party.
Fuse can apparently recruit all 7 of the other main characters, as well as Ren.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Very exciting. Wasn't Fuse supposed to be like the "final" quest to take down the villain they were hyping up all game that never went anywhere?

I always kind of pictured it as Fuse being Nick Fury and running around recruiting all of these figurative (and in at least one case, literal) superheroes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Recruiting Blue? Ludicrous. There's no way he'd stoop to helping someone else out, even if he almost got there with Red.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Very exciting. Wasn't Fuse supposed to be like the "final" quest to take down the villain they were hyping up all game that never went anywhere?

I always kind of pictured it as Fuse being Nick Fury and running around recruiting all of these figurative (and in at least one case, literal) superheroes.

I believe the 'final' route is more Lute's deal, maybe Blue (though technically Rouge but that's a bit more of a complicated issue) depending on how you wanna treat it. Both are supposed to be relying on the power of the friends made along the way (with both being super easily recruitable by basically anyone) to make it through their situations. But idk if they're gonna run with that in this so :shrug:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Recruiting Blue? Ludicrous. There's no way he'd stoop to helping someone else out, even if he almost got there with Red.

Blue is the evil twin. Rouge is, canonically, the one who wins the duel and is the more altruistic. In that weird extra content book Fuse frees Rouge from hell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't completely recall, but isn't there something about Blue inheriting some of Rouge's personality if he wins the duel, too? So you could have Fuse recruiting Blue as long as he's the post-duel Blue who is less of a gigantic dick.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ace Transmuter posted:

Blue is the evil twin. Rouge is, canonically, the one who wins the duel and is the more altruistic. In that weird extra content book Fuse frees Rouge from hell.

That's what I was getting at, sorry if it didn't come through or whatever. Hence the second half of the post and all.

But I'm definitely split between wanting to see blue actually join up with someone and keeping the meme of him being an rear end in a top hat to everyone.

Harrow posted:

I don't completely recall, but isn't there something about Blue inheriting some of Rouge's personality if he wins the duel, too? So you could have Fuse recruiting Blue as long as he's the post-duel Blue who is less of a gigantic dick.

My internal canon for the whole mess is if Blue wins then the way his route ends is how it actually happens, just trapped fighting in hell forever, but Rouge winning leads to the whole Good End bit. There's obviously no way in hell (hah) they'd actually do that but it's a fun thing to bounce around in my head.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Famitsu had an article about Fuse's stuff a few days ago, and it specifically pointed out that Blue is speaking more politely than usual to Fuse, but also suggested it might be an act (but it also might be Famitsu's way of dancing around the ending of Blue's scenario).

Fuse's story also isn't just one thing, it's a series of Incident Files related to the other main characters, which you unlock after you complete their storylines - so to see the whole thing you have to beat every character's story.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

That looks very interesting

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do you have some / all of the secret classes? (in Octopath Traveler)

Swear to gently caress I posted a response to this!!

But yeah, I have all the optional classes. On my current team Ophilia and Tressa are running support as Starseer and Runelord respectively, while Dancin' Cyrus and Huntin' Olberic dish out magical/weapon damage with Surpassing Power.

This particular boss is a giant wolf whose attacks are all physical, which has a hard counter if Tressa is in the Runelord secret class. Normally she would shut down a whole encounter, but after his shield is broken enough times the big wolf guy casts Lunar Howl, which removes buffs from the whole party. My support casters can't counter this: Sidestep doesn't seem to work, and Celestial Intervention is removed like everything else. He usually waits to cast it until means he's already summoned three minions, and all of them deal ~1000 single-target damage per turn. Once my buffs are obliterated, the big guy spends every round buffing his allies or ruining my , while also throwing out his own whole-party physical attack. If I survive three whole rounds after that, it's unusual.

It seems like my strategy is what's lacking here. In sheer numbers he has such an advantage that if I get hit by Lunar Howl, I'm hosed. Ways I have thought of to not get hit by it:
1. Have Ophilia use Reflective Veil on the whole party and hope for Lunar Howl to bounce back.
2. Don't break his shield and rely on crits for big damage, so he never enters a phase where he would summon more than one mob or use Lunar Howl at all.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I believe the 'final' route is more Lute's deal, maybe Blue (though technically Rouge but that's a bit more of a complicated issue) depending on how you wanna treat it. Both are supposed to be relying on the power of the friends made along the way (with both being super easily recruitable by basically anyone) to make it through their situations. But idk if they're gonna run with that in this so :shrug:

IIRC how it went, Lute was the original plan for a final chapter (being the designated Minstrel character), but when they ran out of time/space Fuse got cut and Lute's story ended up the kinda bare bones thing it is with most of the unique stuff just being whatever pieces of his/Fuse's story they had finished. There was a supplemental book at some point that went into what was originally planned for Fuse, but that's almost certainly not going to be what the version in the remake will be. To wit:

Hogama posted:

Fuse can apparently recruit all 7 of the other main characters, as well as Ren.

this raises several questions (and several more if it's at the same time as the first half)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Walker posted:

Swear to gently caress I posted a response to this!!

But yeah, I have all the optional classes. On my current team Ophilia and Tressa are running support as Starseer and Runelord respectively, while Dancin' Cyrus and Huntin' Olberic dish out magical/weapon damage with Surpassing Power.

This particular boss is a giant wolf whose attacks are all physical, which has a hard counter if Tressa is in the Runelord secret class. Normally she would shut down a whole encounter, but after his shield is broken enough times the big wolf guy casts Lunar Howl, which removes buffs from the whole party. My support casters can't counter this: Sidestep doesn't seem to work, and Celestial Intervention is removed like everything else. He usually waits to cast it until means he's already summoned three minions, and all of them deal ~1000 single-target damage per turn. Once my buffs are obliterated, the big guy spends every round buffing his allies or ruining my , while also throwing out his own whole-party physical attack. If I survive three whole rounds after that, it's unusual.

It seems like my strategy is what's lacking here. In sheer numbers he has such an advantage that if I get hit by Lunar Howl, I'm hosed. Ways I have thought of to not get hit by it:
1. Have Ophilia use Reflective Veil on the whole party and hope for Lunar Howl to bounce back.
2. Don't break his shield and rely on crits for big damage, so he never enters a phase where he would summon more than one mob or use Lunar Howl at all.

Use Alfyn and feed your entire party BP every turn. It's even better if you have the divine skill for apothecary. I think I had a warrior or 2 spamming thousand spear to break it's shields quickly too.

Alfyn is the most powerful character in the game due to concoct.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 3, 2021

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Morpheus posted:

Shame I'll never play the game while it's stuck on Apple Arcade.
dont emulators exist for this?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

knox posted:

Suikoden 3 has best intro by far. I rewatched it randomly months ago and the music is still the best thing about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RINHCpYzQK0

where's is my Suikoden anime at

A Suikoden anime made by the Castlevania team could be real good. You could do a lot with the existing world or say gently caress it and set it on the continent across the ocean to the east(?) of where 1-5 takes place.

S3's intro is great but whomever decided to make the Flame Champion in the intro look like Tir McDohl is a jerk for getting my hopes up as a kid.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Relin posted:

dont emulators exist for this?

Not really? There's a couple of simulators but they're for app development testing and security research, not playing games. They do not handle 3D well if at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ace Transmuter posted:

Call me when they stop making mobile games. And when they re-release Lost Odyssey

Call me when they remake The Last Story :colbert:.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hwurmp posted:

I'm guessing Yiik doesn't count

STRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPED

OF THE FREEDOM TO BREATHE

CAAAAAAAAAAGED IN

CANT FIND THE KEY

:shepicide:

It definitely counts.

e: oh jesus and dont remind me of the sonic rpg :psyboom: :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o47N-aYd08

I read once that apparently there was communication issues with bioware and sega and ultimately sega wouldn't let bioware remix tracks so everything was composed in like 2 weeks

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 3, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lost Odyssey is compatible on 75% of xbox consoles, there is not going to be another re-release. Same thing with Blue Dragon.

Now a remake that fixes the pot side quest and the lack of ability to turn off random encounters, that we need.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Acerbatus posted:

STRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPED

OF THE FREEDOM TO BREATHE

CAAAAAAAAAAGED IN

CANT FIND THE KEY

:shepicide:

It definitely counts.

e: oh jesus and dont remind me of the sonic rpg :psyboom: :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o47N-aYd08

I read once that apparently there was communication issues with bioware and sega and ultimately sega wouldn't let bioware remix tracks so everything was composed in like 2 weeks

Oh god, when that was announced I was so excited, I loved Super Mario RPG, and a Sonic version of that from the people who made Baldur's Gate and KOTOR (I think KOTOR came out before that did, if I'm wrong I'm just editing my memories) but I didn't have a DS so thankfully couldn't actually buy it when it came out.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Oh god, when that was announced I was so excited, I loved Super Mario RPG, and a Sonic version of that from the people who made Baldur's Gate and KOTOR (I think KOTOR came out before that did, if I'm wrong I'm just editing my memories) but I didn't have a DS so thankfully couldn't actually buy it when it came out.

The Sonic RPG was released in between Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age 1. It was a bit less popular than those games.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WrightOfWay posted:

The Sonic RPG was released in between Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age 1. It was a bit less popular than those games.

loving El Oh El

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I don't want a remake of Blue Dragon. I just want an album of various artists covering Eternity, the pinnacle of boss themes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Crowetron posted:

I don't want a remake of Blue Dragon. I just want an album of various artists covering Eternity, the pinnacle of boss themes.
Have you heard Uematsu's band do it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjXprQDE8A&t=1712s

(there's also a version on youtube that mashed up the instrumentals of this with the original vocals which is actually just straight up awful)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Fantasian is cooler than I thought:

Mobile game :goofy:

Looks cool but what if we didn't have a mobile device? I hate this, there was another series, you can't even get anymore, Chaos Rings, but was pretty cool but never updated by the devs so you can't even emulate it now.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Mobile game :goofy:

Looks cool but what if we didn't have a mobile device? I hate this, there was another series, you can't even get anymore, Chaos Rings, but was pretty cool but never updated by the devs so you can't even emulate it now.

do you guys not have phones? you all have phones right??

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Technically you can also play Apple Arcade games on a Mac or on an Apple TV, but yeah

I'm hoping this is one of the ones that ends up ported to Switch and PC eventually.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not to mention that Android users are outta luck unless it gets ported to a non-mobile platform.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
the only official English version of Shin Megami Tensei 1 is the iOS port released around the same time as SMT4 for the 3DS

SMT2 and if are on there too but JP text only

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

do you guys not have phones? you all have phones right??

I have an android phone and only ever have a (personal) android phone. I suppose I have a work iphone and a work ipad, but they're old and not meant for gaming.

For me, yes, I do have an iPad, but that was a recent thing I got ONLY to draw art on. I could have just persisted on with never owning an ipad, and lets not forget, they're expensive.

Anyways, I would rather it be on PC (ideal) or console and none of this mobile crap where if you don't play it when it releases you probably will never be able to.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have an android phone and only ever have a (personal) android phone. I suppose I have a work iphone and a work ipad, but they're old and not meant for gaming.

For me, yes, I do have an iPad, but that was a recent thing I got ONLY to draw art on. I could have just persisted on with never owning an ipad, and lets not forget, they're expensive.

Anyways, I would rather it be on PC (ideal) or console and none of this mobile crap where if you don't play it when it releases you probably will never be able to.

(it was a diablo immortal snafu reference, not a serious question)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmkHAlhCvWg&t=100s

The video is still pretty hilarious to watch, it's probably the #1 example of misjudging fan reaction. All those pauses for applause met with dead silence.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That mobile game still isn't out, BTW

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmkHAlhCvWg&t=100s

The video is still pretty hilarious to watch, it's probably the #1 example of misjudging fan reaction. All those pauses for applause met with dead silence.

Really shouldn't have a hands free mic that close to your flesh tone, I paused the video and for a second thought he had an insane pimple or something.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Tae posted:

That mobile game still isn't out, BTW

i mean, not bothering to develop/release the game that literally no one at the company-specific fan con wanted to buy isn't exactly a bad idea

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've had a couple of iPhones in the past and they were all pieces of garbage. I went Android three years ago and haven't looked back.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

How many of you are able to remember every rpg (or even every video game) you've ever played? I started wondering this because I just randomly went through some of my libraries and came across things that I legitimately had completely forgotten ever owning yet know I had played at some point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I could probably remember something about them if pushed but that's like almost 30 years of gaming so lol

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I can't remember games I played a month ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

eternaldough posted:

How many of you are able to remember every rpg (or even every video game) you've ever played? I started wondering this because I just randomly went through some of my libraries and came across things that I legitimately had completely forgotten ever owning yet know I had played at some point.

I have so many games I bought during a steam sale that I never played or even installed.