Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gaius Marius posted:

No story can be as stupid as Conquest's "We must defeat the Evil Empire by working to accomplish all of it's goals, and then defeat it" plot

What about FFXIII's plot of "We will defy fate by doing exactly what fate wants us to do, except in a defiant kind of way!"

Anyway, quick aside about classes in tactics games, I'm not a fan of when tactics games give you custom characters to create, but also story characters to use. I know you don't really have to use any of them, but I always feel like the game wants me to use the plot guys more often than not - I'd rather just have, like, one or two story characters, with the rest being custom. Or just have no plot guys - they don't fight, they simply drive the story forward while their army does the fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Shape Shift With Me

Okay Xenoblade 2 sounds kind of awesome, like watching a weird dubbed anime on a saturday morning. I'll give it a go after 12 Sentinels. Thanks for the opinions!

Morpheus posted:

Anyway, quick aside about classes in tactics games, I'm not a fan of when tactics games give you custom characters to create, but also story characters to use. I know you don't really have to use any of them, but I always feel like the game wants me to use the plot guys more often than not - I'd rather just have, like, one or two story characters, with the rest being custom. Or just have no plot guys - they don't fight, they simply drive the story forward while their army does the fighting.

The wildest thing is when there are plot characters and custom characters, and like once in a blue moon the game will have one of your generic custom characters give off a piece of pre- or post- battle dialog. It permanently elevates that generic character to a place along the main cast for me.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

iirc in FFTA there are missions where you can opt not to use Marche and if there's post-battle dialog you'll have like, some rando nu mou black mage chide the enemy

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Barudak posted:

XCX is... a mess. Its like "oops all sidequests" and wandering an open world and juggling two different and not balanced combat systems and a story that is so incomplete it feels like they stretched the setup for a story to a full game. It might click with you if you dont mind aimless exploration but if you want structure and consistency this ain't it.

Going all the way back to their roots, I see.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Morpheus posted:

Most of my FFT playthroughs I avoid using the story characters. It's like "look at all of these awesome classes and abilities and options we've set out before you; oh also here are a bunch of overpowered story characters to use so you don't really have to deal with any of that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cephas posted:

Okay Xenoblade 2 sounds kind of awesome, like watching a weird dubbed anime on a saturday morning. I'll give it a go after 12 Sentinels. Thanks for the opinions!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8P7KhFSA2w

4:00 to 8:00 in this video is mostly just math on the gacha, so feel free to skip that, but the other info in this video helps a lot in actually understanding Xenoblade 2 combat. It took like 70 hours for me until I truly understood the power of Fusion Combos.