Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
tamsoft's previous forays into the series do not set a good precedent for a game that actually feels good to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

quote:

-Mini-Game + (Hot Springs + Peach) = Nyuutou Meditation

(Editor’s Note: The Japanese word “nyuutou” is formed of the kanji for “breast” and “peach,” but the reading can mean both “to bathe in hot springs” and “nipple.”)

Yep, exactly what I expected.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The sequel to the RPG take on Monster Hunter is coming July 9th to Switch and Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXG8nqBfY34

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'm coming up on what appears to be the final dungeon in command mission (or at least i hope so because entering it is a point of no return) and despite my complaints i'm still having a good time with it. the premise of having one character named redips and another named spider who mysteriously never appear in the same room together is very silly, but i do like the more subtle clues about the twist. one of the NPCs in town is in love with spider, and after he dies she insists she saw him walking around recently while other nearby NPCs comment on the tragedy of her logic circuits malfunctioning from heartache

most random encounters are still a waste of time but there's still a handful of neat ideas, like a gigantic mettaur who hides in its helmet and runs away quickly, unless you steal its (relatively worthless) item which causes it to go berserk. and most of the bosses, especially the two bonus bosses i've seen, are cool. just a shame about the encounter rate and the very grindy force metal system, and how most of the special weapons are kinda pointless

edit: also marino, massimo, and cinnamon are all cool but they basically disappear from the story once axl and zero join back up with you and that's a bummer

Looper fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 8, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I think they had some very good ideas for encounter design, because there are more than a few enemies like that. I also remember some random encounters where you can disable their strongest attacks by hitting them with the right element (i.e. disabling a flamethrower with ice damage), and there's that one medic bot that heals and thanks you if you leave it alone after killing its allies.

It's just too bad the encounter rate is so drat high.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

i'm coming up on what appears to be the final dungeon in command mission (or at least i hope so because entering it is a point of no return) and despite my complaints i'm still having a good time with it. the premise of having one character named redips and another named spider who mysteriously never appear in the same room together is very silly
tbf this is one that works way better in japanese

リディ
スパイダー

you'd have to notice their names in english in the instruction manual/see spider's name in english in the menu and then remember seeing redips's name in the manual, or actually catch that the sounds themselves are reversed which is harder to do, especially since most jp people would slide the r off at the end of spider, making it 'supaida' and 'ridipusu'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 8, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's me, I'm the one person in the world who never noticed that Redips was Spider backwards until the reveal.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What game handles the "one character with two aliases" trope better?

Like there's clues in hindsight, short of the character spelling their name backwards.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
When I was playing FF2 on GBA as a kid I never realized that the mysterious Dark Knight

Was actually the same person as your missing friend Leon

Sorry for spoiling this great twist!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What game handles the "one character with two aliases" trope better?

Like there's clues in hindsight, short of the character spelling their name backwards.

Uhhh Wind Waker maybe? I can't really remember if there are any clues about Tetra before you find out

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Uhhh Wind Waker maybe? I can't really remember if there are any clues about Tetra before you find out

Sadly she becomes a lot less interesting, and white, when the reveal comes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I guess if it was your first Zelda game, but I figured it out right away because I knew there was gonna be a Zelda in the game, especially when her dad shows up as a boat.

I didn't figure out about the old man in Breath of the Wild until that reveal, but that happens at the end of the tutorial

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i think I missed the one in the third ace attorney game back in the day, somehow

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Electric Phantasm posted:

The sequel to the RPG take on Monster Hunter is coming July 9th to Switch and Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXG8nqBfY34
so I didn't play the first one, is it a straight JRPG just in the MonHun world, or?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

so I didn't play the first one, is it a straight JRPG just in the MonHun world, or?

Pretty much; you can hatch monster buddies to accompany you so there's some pokemon in its dna too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first one was more a kid friendly Pokemon style JRPG in the MonHun world but otherwise yes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't played Monster Hunter Stories but this trailer looked pretty cute and made me want to play the second one when it comes out.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Sadly she becomes a lot less interesting, and white, when the reveal comes.
that's not really the reveal's fault but yeah this is some of the worst writing in the entire series and i still can't believe it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sheik certainly had 8 year old me fooled.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

I haven't played Monster Hunter Stories but this trailer looked pretty cute and made me want to play the second one when it comes out.

The original was fun as hell and is available on smartphone now too if anyone checks it out. Fantastic little proof of concept game that the sequel is looking to massively expand on and improve

Also obligatory best kinship attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA32xd386Sg

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 8, 2021

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Question, is Atelier Ryza a good game?

I have done the absolute bare minimum of research: (1) get the sequel advertised to me somehow, (2) be reminded vaguely of Tales in its visual style, (3) see that it has decent but not fantastic reviews, (4) look up gameplay trailer and watch a couple mins to see that it's turn-based gameplay and very bright and colorful as advertised

Gonna be sort of homeless for a little while as part of a multi-phase move and could use a Switch game to play that'll keep me occupied, this would appear to fit that bill. I play a lot of JRPGs and am not put off by anime poo poo.

next step in the process, obviously, is "ask goons for their general impressions"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Its pretty decent. Not the best atelier but not the worst. The biggest knock on it based on your intended use is its like 20 hours long. If you need long term engagement on a budget Ryza isn't it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Went down a "relaxing video game music" rabbit hole for a bit and was reminded of how incredibly good the town music in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODEJGI0GlP0

And then there's this, which if you told me this was just a "walking around a town during the day" theme before I played the game I would not have believed you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d0Tvh9GfGo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ryza is more real-time than actual turn-based combat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh yeah I missed that, Ryza is 100% not turn based

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ryza has a similar pseudo-ATB as Grandia, right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's closest to FF X-2 to me, it's 'turn based' but everything is on a timer and resolved in real time, apart from skill/item selection anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Ryza has a similar pseudo-ATB as Grandia, right?

it's full ATB but you only control one character at a time.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Harrow posted:

Went down a "relaxing video game music" rabbit hole for a bit and was reminded of how incredibly good the town music in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODEJGI0GlP0

And then there's this, which if you told me this was just a "walking around a town during the day" theme before I played the game I would not have believed you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d0Tvh9GfGo

That's a day time, town theme? My goodness

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
still the best town theme i've heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GyOEWqunjk

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Its pretty decent. Not the best atelier but not the worst. The biggest knock on it based on your intended use is its like 20 hours long. If you need long term engagement on a budget Ryza isn't it.

Kind of annoying that a game that already has a sequel and is this short is still full price IMO

It looks like a bunch of other Atelier games (I haven't played any) are getting ported to Switch but won't be done until the end of April which kind of ruins the point. I dunno, maybe I'll give this one a shot if I get bored of my PSX/PSP emulation before the move is done

cheetah7071 posted:

it's full ATB but you only control one character at a time.

This is fine tho

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also if we're posting our favorite chill town themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHqkuihmVxg

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

all about Home Guldove, the Another Guldove theme is a bit TOO slow imo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Chrono Cross had some fantastic music and setpiece art for a game that was such a narrative mess and that didn't know what a rock song was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ILhJCr60A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpGwyd2Ve_0

e: that's perhaps a bit harsh; it's more accurate to say that Chrono Cross didn't know what a rock concert was

loquacius fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 8, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

loquacius posted:

Kind of annoying that a game that already has a sequel and is this short is still full price IMO

It looks like a bunch of other Atelier games (I haven't played any) are getting ported to Switch but won't be done until the end of April which kind of ruins the point. I dunno, maybe I'll give this one a shot if I get bored of my PSX/PSP emulation before the move is done

This is fine tho

If you haven't played them already, there's a full ten ateliers on Switch, only many of which are short, and most of which are cheaper than Ryza. Lydie and Suelle in particular is a long game. It's one of the ones getting an enhanced version soon, but the base version is on switch, unlike the other upcoming DX versions.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

If you haven't played them already, there's a full ten ateliers on Switch, only many of which are short, and most of which are cheaper than Ryza. Lydie and Suelle in particular is a long game. It's one of the ones getting an enhanced version soon, but the base version is on switch, unlike the other upcoming DX versions.

Putting aside length (I can buy more than one game if I find myself invested), which would you say is the best one of the ones available on Switch, for someone who hasn't played this series before?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

loquacius posted:

Putting aside length (I can buy more than one game if I find myself invested), which would you say is the best one of the ones available on Switch, for someone who hasn't played this series before?

Either Lydie and Suelle or Rorona, depending on whether you'd prefer puzzle mechanics or time management mechanics. I have a full write up in the OP of the Atelier thread.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Looper posted:

the premise of having one character named redips and another named spider who mysteriously never appear in the same room together is very silly

the best part about that twist is that redips is his real name and spider is the fake one, so it's not like his name is a real word that he reversed for his secret identity, his name is a total nonsense word that coincidentally happens to be spider spelled backwards

also iirc it's implied that spider was an actual real person whose identity redips stole before you meet him, so canonically he just found a random dude whose name happened to be his own name backwards and went "ah, yes, the perfect disguise!"

command mission rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Either Lydie and Suelle or Rorona, depending on whether you'd prefer puzzle mechanics or time management mechanics. I have a full write up in the OP of the Atelier thread.

Extremely helpful, thanks :tipshat: