Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A thing to ntoe about Tactics Ogre is that the plot is heavily inspired by the Balkan Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

Levantine posted:

I know there's a Xenoblade thread but I'm staying clear for fear of spoilers. I just have to say I'm awed how bonkers big the world is in XBC3. I'm at ~50 hours played and I just progressed chapter 3 with the climbing equipment and I'm level 50+ with my whole crew.
Come back and post your reaction once you get to chapter five

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

lmao i shouldve listened to the thread's opinions on astria ascending before i bothered trying it, think i lasted maybe two hours before i decided i had better games to waste my time on :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mix. posted:

lmao i shouldve listened to the thread's opinions on astria ascending before i bothered trying it, think i lasted maybe two hours before i decided i had better games to waste my time on :v:

Its ok, we all make mistakes. Now join me as I fire up Dragon Star Varnir and whatever other unknown stuff Sony is throwing into their ps++ tier

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

One of my favorite parts of having gamefly was picking whatever random terrible rpgs we could find and just playing them till we got sick of it. There were some really bizzare ones

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mix. posted:

Could be worse I bought and played both Dreadout 2 and Sword & Fairy 6 recently, two of the worst designed games I've ever played in my life.

I also played the Nep game the Astria guys made and it was worse than the original PS3 Nep 1

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Thuryl posted:

I think my favourite thing about the escalation over the course of the Geneforge series is that the ending that most people originally kinda thought of as the "evil path" in the first game is, in hindsight, probably a better outcome than any of the possible endings in the final game. Meanwhile, the "good guy" faction that just wanted freedom and peaceful coexistence for everybody ended up becoming increasingly insular and irrelevant, as its goals shifted over time from "surely we can liberate everyone by negotiating rationally with this empire that thinks our very existence is a crime" to "well okay that didn't work, let's survive by any means necessary and then figure out what to do next".

Yyyep. In the last Geneforge game, one of the factions is a rabid traditionalist who thinks the best way to sort things out is to make a disease to delete all Shaper creations (including the definitely-sentient-and-trying-to-gain-their-freedom serviles) and start over.

It hasn't stopped players from seriously considering it as a 'good' or even 'best' ending, simply because of how much everything else escalated.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 6, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Could be worse I bought and played both Dreadout 2 and Sword & Fairy 6 recently, two of the worst designed games I've ever played in my life.

I also played the Nep game the Astria guys made and it was worse than the original PS3 Nep 1

I kinda liked Dreadout 1 so that's a shame to hear

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was fine until one bit where it wanted me to fight a ghost with the awful camera combat and I just gave up after multiple attempts where I actually managed to get a damaging shot off maybe twice before it killed me.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

It was fine until one bit where it wanted me to fight a ghost with the awful camera combat and I just gave up after multiple attempts where I actually managed to get a damaging shot off maybe twice before it killed me.

I remember a possessed girl with a fireaxe randomly teleporting and the camera just not being able to keep up while aiming so I took a lot of cheap hits. It’s a shame because while I didn’t play 1, I did quite enjoy Keepers of the Dark.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

sponges posted:

I need to give those Spiderweb games a try sometime

The newest remakes of Avernum are the most digestible in this day and age.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well well well Dragon Star Vanir, we made it past the first tutorial fight before you got weird.

This man is dying and needs dragon blood and we need a container! I know I will mount him and smooch him with dragon blood in my mouth to transfer it!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i could use a dragon blood transfusion...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Looper posted:

i could use a dragon blood transfusion...

if it turns me into a hot dragongirl then :yossame:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

kirbysuperstar posted:

if it turns me into a hot dragongirl then :yossame:

On the plus side, hot dragon girl. On the downside, hemolytic transfusion reaction. Win some lose some.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

He does not turn into a hot dragon girl. He turns into, so far, a kind of whiny witch (no physical change*) who rides a sword that I... don't know why he has or where it came from like a skateboard instead of his staff like a broom.

*Which is hilarious as there is a cutscene where multiple times they talk about this strange new witch mark on his chest where not only is there not a mark, my man is wearing at least 3 shirts.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
a dragon witch who rides a sword like a broom?

games sounds cool as heck

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think yall are labbing a significantly more interesting game, but im not far enough to make that call. Mechanically though its a low budget version of something Im super on board with so I think good odds I'll make it to the end.

Edit: Lol its got trances from FFIX and the way it shows you powered up is by further liberating the already free-grazing tatas. Its in that realm of trying to be horny and cool and missing both.

The dude gets what looks like goth Tidus's clothes

Edit Edit: Hello, Lingerie Knights

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 7, 2022

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the way you're talking about this i thought it was some interesting one-person RPG maker affair but no it's just a compile heart game. disappointment

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i lost all interest in that game when i found out about the timed feeding element. it's not something particularly skeevy, but i was still completely unwilling to deal with that bullshit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i lost all interest in that game when i found out about the timed feeding element. it's not something particularly skeevy, but i was still completely unwilling to deal with that bullshit.

Ah poo poo that hasn't happened yet. I got worried when it gave me the madness gauge controls the ending warning.

What happens at that point? Is it something I can cheese? I want to see where this combat/leveling goes but a timer could kill me off

Edit: Looking it up lmao its brutal and seems to be entirely intended to be a ng+ thing but they're dumb as hell if they think Im playing this game twice.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 7, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you get introduced to it fairly early. basically, you have to return to based on the timer no matter what you are doing at the time. well, you can ignore it but there are consequences including increasingly worse endings. since the basic gameplay is running through dungeons, that just seemed too tiresome for me to bother with in an already underwhelming game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

you get introduced to it fairly early. basically, you have to return to based on the timer no matter what you are doing at the time. well, you can ignore it but there are consequences including increasingly worse endings. since the basic gameplay is running through dungeons, that just seemed too tiresome for me to bother with in an already underwhelming game.

Im gonna play till its introduced and then might quit. Im not having a timer on a game whose draw is the dungeon delving.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

Im gonna play till its introduced and then might quit. Im not having a timer on a game whose draw is the dungeon delving.

While we're on the subject this was the main problem with Dark Cloud 2

Having to do procedurally-generated dungeons on a timer and also do the golf minigame for every dang level for some reason I can't remember

(you probably didn't HAVE to per se I guess)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

compile fart

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

loquacius posted:

Having to do procedurally-generated dungeons on a timer and also do the golf minigame for every dang level for some reason I can't remember

A very weird throw-it-all-in game, but I loved the crafting formula discovery system where you took photographs to get ideas. The mech was fun until you ran out of fuel, and then you're back to grinding and golfing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I looked up guides for Dragon Star Varnir and their all basically "if you want the true ending you need to either NG+ wherein you get items that just disables this mechanic, or you skip literally all side content and cutscenes until chapter 11 when the game turns off this mechanic"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

loquacius posted:

You got medals for doing it. Not sure what those did, but they were definitely optional. Golf game could've been really fun but the procedural nature of it plus having to clear the dungeon each time sucked the fun out of it.

Analytic Engine posted:

A very weird throw-it-all-in game, but I loved the crafting formula discovery system where you took photographs to get ideas. The mech was fun until you ran out of fuel, and then you're back to grinding and golfing

Likewise the crafting system was cool but almost completely unusable without a guide. You found a couple recipes through the game, but if you wanted to interesting stuff you had to try every permutation of the hundreds of possible components. And there were missable photos/components, too, which frustrated the hell out of me when I discovered this the first time I played it.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 7, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the really bad ones were photos of bosses doing specific attacks. you could not refight bosses.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah DC2 is another one of those great idea games with execution problems I usually go for but I had a lot of issues with medal grinding

Looking it up now it looks like you could use medals to cheat one weapon into another, and also for cosmetics, but I can't remember which of those was more important to my 15-year-old self

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

loquacius posted:

Yeah DC2 is another one of those great idea games with execution problems I usually go for but I had a lot of issues with medal grinding

Looking it up now it looks like you could use medals to cheat one weapon into another, and also for cosmetics, but I can't remember which of those was more important to my 15-year-old self

the cosmetics allowed you to dress up Monica as a catgirl, so I know exactly which one of those was more important to my 15-year old self

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

the really bad ones were photos of bosses doing specific attacks. you could not refight bosses.

That reminds me of Baten Kaitos, where the only real way to make decent money was selling photographs of enemies. Bosses were especially lucrative.

I, possessing a pristine mint condition wrinkle-free brain, didn’t engage with this for the longest time because having a card that just takes pictures in your deck is stupid, right? Right.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anyone played either Dark Rose Valkyrie or Omega Quintet? Im scraping the bartel here

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i don't know what you're expecting out of more compile heart games

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
This chat about Dragon Star Varnir gave me the impression that it was some sort of dragon girl Ranma 1/2. Which I think would be infinitely cooler than whatever the game actually is.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Barudak posted:

Anyone played either Dark Rose Valkyrie or Omega Quintet? Im scraping the bartel here

Omega Quintet is entirely average Compile Heart.

Dark Rose Valkyrie is the one where the character designer abused his position on the game to help groom the cosplayer he had been working on for a few years (and who he would later simultaneously announce he was dating, getting married to, and having a child with shortly before the game's release).

So I guess play Omega Quintet if you absolutely have to pick one of the two, but I don't think either of them is the sort of "bad" you're looking for.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

If you tell me what you're looking for, I'll see if I can suggest something by someone other than Compile Heart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

If you tell me what you're looking for, I'll see if I can suggest something by someone other than Compile Heart.

Honestly, chumming the included in ps+++ barrel while I wait for soul hackers and was mostly a joke, I don't think I'll play either.

Nick Buntline posted:

Omega Quintet is entirely average Compile Heart.

Dark Rose Valkyrie is the one where the character designer abused his position on the game to help groom the cosplayer he had been working on for a few years (and who he would later simultaneously announce he was dating, getting married to, and having a child with shortly before the game's release).

So I guess play Omega Quintet if you absolutely have to pick one of the two, but I don't think either of them is the sort of "bad" you're looking for.

Well that turned into a dark fuckin chuckle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah to clarify he got her a role in the game as a va and she was not very good at it but also more importantly hes in his 50s and she was like 19 and, mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

omega quintet is totally serviceable but very forgettable also