Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The Colonel posted:

i wouldn't call him well realized because the game can't decide if he's a character capable of achieving growth or not

I'd say he is well realised cuz that tracks perfectly with the irl Yosuke-likes I've known :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

The Colonel posted:

also just, that people didnt play them because they're gay but did play persona because persona's not gay

Being gay is not a bad thing. It's being able to enjoy another type of rear end, that's all.

Endorph posted:

i go into all video games expecting good writing, because writing is far and away the thing video games are best at

I go into all video games with a laser gun pointed at their head. If it's good, then nothing happens. If it's bad, I shoot it with bad critism and spent the next five day skulking if I bought the game.

Neeksy posted:

He seems to take on and handle responsibility better than the other Magicians, at the very least. Like, near the end of the game he mellows out a bit and stops trying to wind up Kanji.

Pretty sure he was supposed to be romanceable but that got cut. Would explain some stuff if he had internalized homophobie or something like that.

Anyway, speaking of good story, I kinda like the story and the gameplay of Pandora Tower but that's probably just a burning memory from a time long past.

L.U.I.G.I fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 4, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
theres no real proof of it other than some english voice lines. i've never put any stock in the idea

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So, what was the gold standard for 2D sprites on 3D environments before Octopath?

Grandia

I didn't play Grandia til like 2021 and this sequence still blew me away. This is a lot of animation timing and scripting for a 3 second bit!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think Breath of Fire 3 and 4 did some pretty solid sprite work, with the latter doing some really nice color work in particular.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm playing through the Trails games I didn't play originally (I pretty much only played the Sky trilogy and CS1 and 2) in anticipation of Reverie and I got to this part in Zero and just had to share a screenshot because my god Wazy. A croptop suit? Where did you even get a croptop suit?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

theres no real proof of it other than some english voice lines. i've never put any stock in the idea

Yeah. P4 didn't go under a million rewrites like p5 or w/e did so I have no reason to assume it wasn't just meant for something else

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Pretty sure he was supposed to be romanceable but that got cut. Would explain some stuff if he had internalized homophobie or something like that.
there's some voice lines where he talks about 'i never knew i had such heat inside' but there's no indication of what tehy were meant to be used for and there's interviews that suggest they had experimented with the idea of a female protag option for p4

i really wouldnt put much stock in this

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So, what was the gold standard for 2D sprites on 3D environments before Octopath?

Probably the Pokemon games that do it. Black/White 1 and 2. I don’t think any of the PS1 era games look all that good, some look less bad than others but all look rough

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Octopath would look infinitely better without the terrible bloom. Dunno why they insist on ruining their spritework with it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Klonoa, OP.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm playing through the Trails games I didn't play originally (I pretty much only played the Sky trilogy and CS1 and 2) in anticipation of Reverie and I got to this part in Zero and just had to share a screenshot because my god Wazy. A croptop suit? Where did you even get a croptop suit?

probably wherever Bow from She-Ra shops

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Neeksy posted:

Raidou's uniform is from a not-great time period for Japanese imperialism and certain expanding foreign markets do not like it.

Of course it’s ironic that the character in the work he is directly derived from is a sworn enemy of the Japanese Empire and is literally the representative of all the people who fought against it from ancient times for whatever reason

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teito_Monogatari

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Octopath would look infinitely better without the terrible bloom. Dunno why they insist on ruining their spritework with it.

triangle strat and octopath 2 handled it better but im still not a huge fan

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
tristrat had something even worse than the bloom with the "rotate back and forth a lil bit" thing they do in cutscenes to make them less static. thankfully you can turn that off.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nothing but respect for how surreal the entire norg sequence is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tfw you go under your military academy dorm (that was previously in the midst of bloody conflict with staff going insane and unleashing killer beasts (while there was an inbound missile strike (that you avoided by turning it into a hovercraft))) and find out your school's financier is a slug man who lives in a sewer chamber inside a giant robot and he tells you your principal's wife is a witch

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

nothing but respect for how surreal the entire norg sequence is

You mean NORG.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Just discovered that Oath in Felghana is a remake of the third Ys game. Ys 3. Thrys?

Maybe I should try finishing it. I think I played on GOG originally, but it seems to be in my steam library too. Neat!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

icantfindaname posted:

Of course it’s ironic that the character in the work he is directly derived from is a sworn enemy of the Japanese Empire and is literally the representative of all the people who fought against it from ancient times for whatever reason

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teito_Monogatari

Don't let a game's plot or context get in the way of corporate, cowardly acquiescence to a potential market's censorship policies.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

it's ironic in the sense that raidou as a character is the opposite of kato, he's someone who protects tokyo and works for a group named after the legendary bird that guided the first emperor of japan's conquest of the islands, with one of the major antagonists of The Soulless Army being a representative of gods and spirits who were demonized because they didn't fall in line with empire.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

tfw you go under your military academy dorm (that was previously in the midst of bloody conflict with staff going insane and unleashing killer beasts (while there was an inbound missile strike (that you avoided by turning it into a hovercraft))) and find out your school's financier is a slug man who lives in a sewer chamber inside a giant robot and he tells you your principal's wife is a witch

Later you find out by being a slugman, he failed to achieve enlightenment and that also he was partially exiled for bragging about how huge his hands are.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

The Colonel posted:

that's just boarding school, the staff are insane because teenagers are horrible, the monsters are rats because the cleaning staff are treated terribly, the kind of people who sit on private school boards actually are horrible slug people and in real life its pronounced "bitch" because they're always misogynistic as well.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Endorph posted:

yeah, i agree... cool poo poo happening on my screen when i press a button, like another five paragraphs of text in a visual novel. :twisted:

What VNs are you playing where you actually get paragraphs per button press? And can you share because the joint pain I get when they give you a line or two is keeping me away from them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have you heard of AUTO my dude

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Playing Disco Elysium and feeling every bone in my arm grind against each other as I press the dialogue progression button

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Taking a break from Zelda to finally start Chained Echoes.

Anything I should know before I dive in?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Overall, probably Breath of Fire 3 and 4 given the detail and multitude of different animations and one-offs.

Suikoden 2's sprites are good too. Luca's night attack, the Matilda scene , and a handful of others all have sprites just for those scenes and do real well at conveying the characters' emotions. Especially the Matilda scene with Riou and Nanami.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Gaius Marius posted:

Have you heard of AUTO my dude

That just leaves me with an uncomfortable reading speed, because most games I've seen just let you do 1,2,4,8,16x speed when I often want something in between. I was hoping some people had gone back to the old style like F/SN where they actually put a somewhat reasonable amount of text on the screen at once, even if that IIRC still had you use the scroll wheel to reveal more of it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
nearly every vn i ever played has it as a slider instead of options like that

anyway umineko does the text takes up the whole screen thing

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Most of what I 've seen( but keep in mind I stopped keeping up because of it) had text appearance speed as a slider but auto advance as just doubler steps.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the slider approach is the most common i've seen

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hel posted:

Most of what I 've seen( but keep in mind I stopped keeping up because of it) had text appearance speed as a slider but auto advance as just doubler steps.

huhhh, weird. like even renpy defaults to a slider.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Wait, I'm wrong, it's skip which is 1x,2x etc. but most speeds sliders still top off at too low a level so I'm using that to get something somewhat comfortable. This is also very much a me problem but, since the old styles worked better for me, the modern changes are annoying.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hel posted:

Good news my friend, Misericorde: Volume One, the visual novel that many are already calling a new cult hit has sliders.

Now I am sure you are asking, what is Misericorde: Volume One? Well I am glad you ask, its a murder mystery set in a monastery where you follow Hedwig, an anchoress who has been forcibly removed form her cell to solve a murder. With a killer soundtrack, an atmospheric art style, and lovable yet sussy nuns, I am sure you will find this game a delight too! Wowie!!!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Grandia

I didn't play Grandia til like 2021 and this sequence still blew me away. This is a lot of animation timing and scripting for a 3 second bit!

Grandia games also excel at the "plenty of scenes where the party just shoots the poo poo for a bit" thing folks were talking about earlier

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Good news my friend, Misericorde: Volume One, the visual novel that many are already calling a new cult hit has sliders.

Now I am sure you are asking, what is Misericorde: Volume One? Well I am glad you ask, its a murder mystery set in a monastery where you follow Hedwig, an anchoress who has been forcibly removed form her cell to solve a murder. With a killer soundtrack, an atmospheric art style, and lovable yet sussy nuns, I am sure you will find this game a delight too! Wowie!!!

Finally a game with a reasonable timer, sure having it top out at zero waiting is probably overkill but at least it lets me find a comfortable speed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if youre playing on pc cant you use space bar or smth instead of the scroll wheel? most PC VNs ive seen accept a ton of inputs for text advance

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

if youre playing on pc cant you use space bar or smth instead of the scroll wheel? most PC VNs ive seen accept a ton of inputs for text advance

Space and Return are default "next" keys in renpy at the very least yeah

if a VN on PC doesn't really have like..things I need to point at I'll often just sit back with the mouse or a pad in hand, that works pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

genuinely if your wrists are like really hosed you could probably plug in a pad, set the controller on the floor, and just hit x with your toe

this isnt me trolling i kinda get it, i had to rearrange my ff14 hotkeys a few months back cause all the shift + whatever was loving me up