Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I often map a text advance button to just slightly moving the joystick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mapped text advance to Wiimote waggle and instantly ground my wrists to dust.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

genuinely if your wrists are like really hosed you could probably plug in a pad, set the controller on the floor, and just hit x with your toe

this isnt me trolling i kinda get it, i had to rearrange my ff14 hotkeys a few months back cause all the shift + whatever was loving me up

There are foot pedal mice designed specifically for this even, although they're Surprisingly Expensive

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thuryl posted:

There are foot pedal mice designed specifically for this even, although they're Surprisingly Expensive

i guess there's nothing stopping you from grabbing a two dollar crap mouse, putting some tape over the optical sensor and throwing it on the floor

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How necessary is grinding up endgame gear seeds in Trials of Mana (original)? I would assume generally not but the game has been one giant gently caress you so far, so.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

How necessary is grinding up endgame gear seeds in Trials of Mana (original)? I would assume generally not but the game has been one giant gently caress you so far, so.

Generally not. You can beat the game with the strongest purchased gear without too much extra hassle. The big exception is Hawkeye, who would really like the extra damage from his ultimate weapon to help out, since Hawkeye's main gimmick of being the Tech character gets utterly poo poo on by how many enemies in the endgame counter Techs so you'll largely be leaning on just attacking with him.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Endorph posted:

if youre playing on pc cant you use space bar or smth instead of the scroll wheel? most PC VNs ive seen accept a ton of inputs for text advance

The scroll wheel is actually fine, but IME support for that is uneven. Last I checked the renpy devs were against making it a default and very few individual VN devs using renpy put it in themselves, ( and I don't care enough to mod it it). It's when I have to click, or press a button to advance that sucks because it's just button mashing. So space bar has the same problem. But maybe things have improved on that front in the years since I stopped caring.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
after looking at the background hd mods for chrono cross, and ff9 with the moguri mod, the AI upscaled stuff seems to rarely hit the mark with pre-rendering backgrounds unless it's something like saga frontier where the backgrounds aren't as busy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hel posted:

The scroll wheel is actually fine, but IME support for that is uneven. Last I checked the renpy devs were against making it a default and very few individual VN devs using renpy put it in themselves, ( and I don't care enough to mod it it). It's when I have to click, or press a button to advance that sucks because it's just button mashing. So space bar has the same problem. But maybe things have improved on that front in the years since I stopped caring.
most JP vns with their own engines ive seen support mouse wheel, at least from my memory. raging loop was pretty good and im 99% sure that supports it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Thuryl posted:

its a cruel irony that accessibility gear is often so inaccessible

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1637730/workshop/

Crystal Project now has a Steam Workshop page and there are some official mods included by the dev. I recall there were some folks that didn't like how there were skills that had weapon type restrictions and it turns out that was a common complaint since one of the official mods disables those restrictions.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Honest Thief posted:

after looking at the background hd mods for chrono cross, and ff9 with the moguri mod, the AI upscaled stuff seems to rarely hit the mark with pre-rendering backgrounds unless it's something like saga frontier where the backgrounds aren't as busy

i think the reason it works for frontier is... honestly because frontier always had a bit of a weird, melty art style. the sprites always looked that way too so it doesn't feel off for the entire game to look like that.

it doesn't work nearly as well for any other square ps1 rpg cause they just do not smooth out easily and the remasters all have some inherent big issue that makes them not look very good, the most basic one is that high res versions of ps1 game assets on prerendered backgrounds just generally dont look that good. chrono cross' updated models look weird and the original game benefitted hard from its lower resolution with all the softening done by crts. ff9's updated models look fine but it places them against models that aren't updated and it just looks off. same case with ff8 but also ff8 has shots where it bakes characters into the background and that just isn't possible to make look good when upscaled to a higher resolution. even legend of mana looks kind of bizarre because the sprites for that game are much sharper than saga frontier, there was always arguably a funny art style clash with them and some of the backgrounds but now it just doesn't look like they inhabit the same space at all.

ff7 has one weird project to recreate all its backgrounds, by hand using 3d modelling tools, in a higher resolution and it's uh... it's an interesting thought experiment but it kinda highlights why you don't do that cause it just makes it easy to see how crude some of the backgrounds in that game would be if you could see them more clearly. at the end of the day visual updates for these games feel very misguided, they looked as good as they ever would on ps1 and while it's funny to see them look different, they've rarely been made to look better. i can understand most of the thought process though since square isn't offering good ways to play modern versions of most of these games with settings to make them look like they did on ps1 so if you want easy legal ways of playing them you don't really have that choice

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 4, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah I am very much in the category of my ideal ff7 port having at least the option for it to run looking like the original resolution if possible

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Yea frontier looked already like it went through a super-eagle filter when it came out

The Colonel posted:

ff7 has one weird project to recreate all its backgrounds, by hand using 3d modelling tools, in a higher resolution and it's uh... it's an interesting thought experiment but it kinda highlights why you don't do that cause it just makes it easy to see how crude some of the backgrounds in that game would be if you could see them more clearly. at the end of the day visual updates for these games feel very misguided, they looked as good as they ever would on ps1 and while it's funny to see them look different, they've rarely been made to look better. i can understand most of the thought process though since square isn't offering good ways to play modern versions of most of these games with settings to make them look like they did on ps1 so if you want easy legal ways of playing them you don't really have that choice
This is the one method I figured people wouldn't do but because emulating old rendering techniques would be too much work and the results wouldn't work. I guess the way to actually do it would be in a actual diorama, like that sakaguchi game, fantasian. That way it could closely match the visual feel and you can have it not look compressed as hell

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 4, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What’s the best saga game?

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

SaGa Frontier 2

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Unlimited SaGa

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

icantfindaname posted:

That's pretty subjective; I would guess that SaGa Frontier or Romancing SaGa 3 are going to be the top two answers (the former would be my answer to that question). But pretty much every game in the series has its fans, even Unlimited SaGa. I would also argue that Scarlet Grace has maybe the best turn-based battle system... ever.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Fanatical had the new Etrian bundle for $65usd instead of $80usd and I am very dumb so I bought it.

Still in EO1 and will be for a long rear end time but so far pleasantly surprised at the quality of the remaster. Art upgrades aside they seem to have gone through all the various skills that were crap or otherwise bugged so they didn't work at all and balanced them upwards in power.

For instance Protector's Provoke skill and the Cloak skill seem to actually function now to redirect aggro. The wall skills aren't bugged anymore so they function correctly past 5 points. The Medic Immunize skill was left as amazingly busted but they fixed the Healing Touch skill so instead of costing more TP and capping out at like 25% heal it now costs 3 and heals to 50% right from the jump and gets cheaper and better from there. It seems like poison got buffed/fixed so it works past the start of the game too. Haven't unlocked Ronin or Hexer yet but given the changes so far I suspect they got fixes and buffs as well.

They also included some QoL features from the later games and you can play with any combo of gamepad, touchscreen, and mouse+kb. So I can play on my gamepad and just reach over for the mouse sometimes when I want to map a bunch of stuff.

Still some of that older game jank design wise that you can't really fix without overhauling the game itself though. So bit of a slog to get off the ground and some occasional grinding.

Overall a good job I think and worthwhile if you liked them and can get them at a more reasonable price.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I'd say Frontier 2, but I also like Scarlet Grace and Minstrel Song a lot.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Frontier 2 wasn't that SaGa feely to me, so I'd go with Minstrel Song or Scarlet, or heck the ds remakes if you get the translation patch on them

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Ms Saga A New Dawn

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can't believe they lost the G

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Objective Action posted:

Fanatical had the new Etrian bundle for $65usd instead of $80usd and I am very dumb so I bought it.

Still in EO1 and will be for a long rear end time but so far pleasantly surprised at the quality of the remaster. Art upgrades aside they seem to have gone through all the various skills that were crap or otherwise bugged so they didn't work at all and balanced them upwards in power.

For instance Protector's Provoke skill and the Cloak skill seem to actually function now to redirect aggro. The wall skills aren't bugged anymore so they function correctly past 5 points. The Medic Immunize skill was left as amazingly busted but they fixed the Healing Touch skill so instead of costing more TP and capping out at like 25% heal it now costs 3 and heals to 50% right from the jump and gets cheaper and better from there. It seems like poison got buffed/fixed so it works past the start of the game too. Haven't unlocked Ronin or Hexer yet but given the changes so far I suspect they got fixes and buffs as well.

They also included some QoL features from the later games and you can play with any combo of gamepad, touchscreen, and mouse+kb. So I can play on my gamepad and just reach over for the mouse sometimes when I want to map a bunch of stuff.

Still some of that older game jank design wise that you can't really fix without overhauling the game itself though. So bit of a slog to get off the ground and some occasional grinding.

Overall a good job I think and worthwhile if you liked them and can get them at a more reasonable price.

Provoke and Cloak weren't bugged in the original, they were just extremely underpowered. The remake buffed them to absurd degrees though. Poison is sadly untouched, so it still falls off faster than intended.

I'm enjoying my time with the remaster so far, but I got it from a giveaway. Not sure if I would recommend the collection at the current price point of $80. For those that want to grab it, maybe wait for a sale unless you really want these.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Just got to the crystal tutorial in Chained Echoes.

Y’all were right. I can already tell this is a lot.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the people want more saga games, quote this post if you are people

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vandar posted:

Just got to the crystal tutorial in Chained Echoes.

Y’all were right. I can already tell this is a lot.

Fortunately it's extremely easy to engage in only the most basic level possible, but yeah it's the RPG fail trifecta of overly complicated, easily broken, and completely ignorable.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Snooze Cruise posted:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll admit Frontier 2 is the least SaGa-ish of the games but it was still a fascinating world whose dual narrative had a strong sense of history unfolding.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Snooze Cruise posted:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I love all the Saga games. My pick would be a tie between Scarlet Saga and Last Remnant.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Runa posted:

I'll admit Frontier 2 is the least SaGa-ish of the games but it was still a fascinating world whose dual narrative had a strong sense of history unfolding.

The world building and characters are what put it at the top for me, Ginny and Gustaf own.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
SaGa Frontier 2 feels kind of like a fangame, in that it does some of the SaGa things (proficiencies, Sparking, not telling you things, Surprise! It's Time For Difficulty) and it does other SaGa-like things that are not quite SaGa (scenario selection is sort of like the free roam, if you squint) and it does things that are not very much like SaGa at all (big central narrative). Which is one of the things I appreciate about it now that it's not literally my second SaGa game, that it keeps enough of the series while still striking out and doing its own thing. It's good!

I think Minstrel Song is probably the best conventional SaGa game. I like Scarlet Grace a lot but I feel like the menu-heavy nature lost something on a replay; my second runthrough stalled out about halfway. Which is a real shame, because the game is incredibly variable and has so many things with alternate outcomes or that lock or unlock based on other things. It feels huge.

Also,

Snooze Cruise posted:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Can't wait for Frontier 2 HD to shadow drop this month

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
square needs to quickly do a eng remaster of the ds saGas

Snooze Cruise posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
remastering the ds sagas is a scary proposition. pretty sure those were made by the ff3/4ds and four heroes of light team and you can tell cause they're way more bullshit than the gb originals

Runa posted:

it's more saga-ish than saga 3 tbf

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am looking forward to when we start getting news drops for the 35th anniversary

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Colonel posted:

remastering the ds sagas is a scary proposition. pretty sure those were made by the ff3/4ds and four heroes of light team and you can tell cause they're way more bullshit than the gb originals

it's more saga-ish than saga 3 tbf

DS Saga 2 is almost identical to the original but you can make your monster party members better in the endgame. Definitely didn't get any bullshit FF3 DS vibes from doing a replay of it.

And there's like 3 vestigial weird systems that are tacked on and don't matter a whit. Still not sure what the relationship mechanic did or why it was implemented in the way it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xenoblade 3 successfully quarantined their most terrible mechanics to the DLC gem crafter class, which is good to know that it wasnt base game so I do not have to touch that pile of garbage.

Blue mage is also dumb because it requires you to refight all the special monsters you already fought which, lol, no, Im not doing that game Ive already beaten 2/3rds or more of them.

The boat is baffling because it has a sharper turning radius going backwards than it does forwards.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 5, 2023