Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Red Red Blue posted:

Star Ocean 3 is a game where I don't think I can disagree with anyone talking poo poo about it, but I love it anyway

Me but SO2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

if i wanted to spam one kick move on enemies for 80 hours, id play regal in tales of symphonia

I don't appreciate you casually dropping this own on my son Regal

...He's fun to play.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Has anyone played SaGa Scarlet Grace? It looks extremely my poo poo, and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth importing or if I should wait for the very unlikely localization announcement.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Two unrelated questions:

How is Xillia 2? I sort of liked the first one kind of. Is 2 better? Worse? Short? Hopefully it's short.

Also I'm playing and enjoying FFX HD but I'm confused what to do with Kimahri. Everyone else has clearly defined grids but his is just sort of a hub stuck between everyone else's. So he can basically be any other character only worse because he's getting into their grid later? What's his deal supposed to be?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xillia 2's a little worse as a full game, but it's like 80% just weird sidestories for the original party explaining what they're doing after the game and some plot details that were unexplained in the original game. Some of that stuff is strong and helps inform their character, (Leia, Gaius,) some of that stuff is good for the worldbuilding, (Jude, Rowen,) some of that stuff is just kinda weak, (Alvin), and some of that stuff is outright bad. (Muzet.) It's fairly short, clocking in at 30-35 hours if you just rush through the main plot, but unlike Xillia 1 it has a decent amount of side content, mostly in the form of those individual character sidequests.

I like what the original plot is doing, but it's clearly a side show, and it's centered around a mute protagonist, so a lot of it just comes off weirdly. The weird time travel mechanics don't help, either, especially when they only have 20% of a game to explain it. A few individual moments in the story really do land, though.

Combat received some minor improvements, like non jude/milla characters having way more link artes to work with, but the new protagonist is so broken that it's clear the game wants you to play as him. That said, Gaius is really fun to play as, and nearly as strong.

Pretty much every asset and song is reused from Tales of Xillia 1, minus like, two boss themes, two dungeons, and six character models. Even most of the bosses are reused, with the time mechanic.

Overall, it's best to think of Xillia 2 less as a full fledged sequel and more like a fandisc for a visual novel or something, where the point is less to make a story that continues from where the original game left off and more to expand on things the original game didn't have time to do, show off some things that were cut during development, (Muzet and Gaius were meant to be party members in Xillia 1, after all, but the game's third act was so heavily truncated that they ended up as the final bosses,) and give you another chance to hang out with the cast in a much less plot-focused environment. I'd say it succeeds at that goal, but unless you adored Tales of Xillia 1 completely I'd advise waiting a bit between it and 2, and if you were meh on or didn't like Xillia 1, it's really not going to change your mind.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The worst thing about Xillia 2 is that they took a shotgun to Alvin's kneecaps and now he's ludicrously slow and isn't as fun to play as he was in the first.

Not like it matters since Ludger is OP God-King in that game but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The worst thing about Xillia 2 is that they took a shotgun to Alvin's kneecaps and now he's ludicrously slow and isn't as fun to play as he was in the first.

Not like it matters since Ludger is OP God-King in that game but still.
downsides: he's slower and some of his moves aren't as busted

upsides: he does get a move that both attacks and charges at the same time, making his combo game a lot easier

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Xillia 2 is top to bottom a very solid follow up to the first game. The cast one was one of the strongest aspects about the first game and they get some nice additional development. Ludger is a lot of fun to play as, as well. The biggest downside is really just that it recycles most/all locations from the first game so playing it directly afterwards is not really advised.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Which Xillia had the crazy lady villain giving the finger as she fell to her death?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HGH posted:

Which Xillia had the crazy lady villain giving the finger as she fell to her death?

I want to say the first one, maybe? Agria did that, maybe? Been a long while since I played Xillia.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008

<3

Getsuya posted:

Also I'm playing and enjoying FFX HD but I'm confused what to do with Kimahri. Everyone else has clearly defined grids but his is just sort of a hub stuck between everyone else's. So he can basically be any other character only worse because he's getting into their grid later? What's his deal supposed to be?
Kimahri is not intended to be used.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

tenderjerk posted:

Kimahri is not intended to be used.

That's kinda what I figured. I hate blue mages and jack of all trade characters anyway so I figure I'll just bench him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I don't appreciate you casually dropping this own on my son Regal

...He's fun to play.

Yeah, as far as physical fighters go, Sheena and Collete are the only problems.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Getsuya posted:

That's kinda what I figured. I hate blue mages and jack of all trade characters anyway so I figure I'll just bench him.

Even the developers know Kimahri is a lost cause of a character. There's a solo fight with him midgame, and it's programmed to scale based on his level.

He's not even a good Blue Mage, because for some loving reason you can only use the poo poo he learns as Overdrives. So while the other party are throwing sickass sword swings and turbo-charging their magic, Kimahri... gets to use what equates to a regular spell or skill.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008

<3

Getsuya posted:

IIRC I think there's one fight where you have to use him (that they telegraph pretty far away). I heard that the Int'l sphere grid make him pretty useful on Lulu or Wakka's paths.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
FFX didn't have a dragoon, did it? They should have given them both those skills and blue magic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want to say the first one, maybe? Agria did that, maybe? Been a long while since I played Xillia.

Yeah, it was the first one, and Yeah, it was Agria.

HGH posted:

FFX didn't have a dragoon, did it? They should have given them both those skills and blue magic.
Kimahri is basically one, it's just that his dragoon moves are locked to his overdrives.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

HGH posted:

He can Jump...

But only in Overdrive. So he's either a Dragoon OR a Blue Mage but never both at once.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Jeez, shows how much I used him.
And I will continue to ignore his useless rear end in spinoffs and mobile games as well.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Khimari is pretty useful early game because I think one of the trials gives him a +50% magic lance as a secret treasure, which makes him a better mage than lulu for a period of time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He can become a copy of any one other character.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Doesn't matter what he can do because at the end of the day his unique features blow. Tidus Lulu Yuna and Rikku is probably the best team in most situations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, Lulu is bad in most situations outside of long range combat. She's just so incredibly slow in a game like FFX's combat system.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Doesn't matter what he can do because at the end of the day his unique features blow. Tidus Lulu Yuna and Rikku is probably the best team in most situations.

Lulu is pretty close to the objectively worst character in the game. Kimhari is less fun on a casual level but is actually pretty broken if you know how to manipulate things. Lulu is just outclassed by Yuna in every way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lulu is good through like the mid-game. Yuna has a bettr magic stat but she's built to be a White Mage.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I plan on only using Tidus, Wakka and Auron because FFXV has taught me the value of bros before hos. I'll bring Yuna out now and then but only to summon Ifrit.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There's pretty much no reason to not use everyone because switching is free and the people will be better at different things until way into the endgame grind, but as long as you know you're basically doing a self-imposed challenge, do whatever you like!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There's also several fights that require Tidus/Wakka/Rikku as they take place underwater.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man I thought I broke Atelier Sophie pretty nicely with my creations and then I ran into some of these post game bosses and just wow. Guess there's even more broken stuff to make.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Man I thought I broke Atelier Sophie pretty nicely with my creations and then I ran into some of these post game bosses and just wow. Guess there's even more broken stuff to make.

Yeah, that's the nice thing about Atelier. While it doesn't have tough main games it has enough optional stuff to demand you figure out how to hyper-optimize your poo poo if you want.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

For people with PS Now or want to try it out on PC, they added Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, and Tales of Zestiria this month. Also both red dead games last month if you never owned a previous generation console.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Getsuya posted:

He has one boss battle which he can steal level 3 keys from. Just give him steal and he serves his purpose.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

For people with PS Now or want to try it out on PC, they added Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, and Tales of Zestiria this month. Also both red dead games last month if you never owned a previous generation console.

Zesteria seems like a waste of a game slot considering it's on PS4 as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All the games this month are basically Bandai Namco, not really much else left notable in their library for the ps3.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can someone tell me how Rikku is a good character in FFX? I mean, she's situationally useful for stealing poo poo and breaking robots etc but her unique ability would be a lot better if it didn't require you to use up the same items required for crafting and for teaching aeons new poo poo, and her phys attack is rear end.

I guess you can build up a decent stock of grenades if you concentrate on stealing them over and over in a few areas where you can do that but are those really that good? I haven't played in a while.

(Yuna is of course the MVP because you can cheese basically every boss with summon overdrives)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Mix is the most horrifyingly overpowered overdrive in the game and Rikku is top tier. Also the crafting and teaching aeons stuff is pretty unnecessary.

Like seriously look at some of this poo poo

quote:

Trio of 9999:(Makes all actions do a constant 9999 damage/healing as long as the original value was between 1 and 9998)
Wings to Discovery/Door to Tomorrow/ Gambler's Spirit + Wings to Discovery/Door to Tomorrow/ Gambler's Spirit

Sunburst:(Does a constant 19998 damage. Doesn't need Break Damage Limit)
Underdog's Secret + Underdog's Secret.

Hyper Mighty Guard: (Endows front party with Haste, Shell, Protect, Regen, and Auto-Life). Light/Lunar/Star Curtain + Amulet/Pendulum/Wings to Discovery/Door to Tomorrow.

Ultra Null all:(Adds all four Null Spells to frontline party. Plus casts Cheer, Focus, Aim, and Reflex 5 times).
Light/Lunar/Star Curtain + Healing Spring.

Hyper Vitality:(Doubles Max HP of frontline party plus casts Cheer 5 times)
Tetra Elemental + Three Stars.
Potion/Hi-Potion + Stamina Tonic

Eccentrick:(Makes party's overdrive guage rise twice as quickly. Stacks with weapon abilities like Triple Overdrive).
Pendulum + Underdog Secret/Wings to Discovery/Door to Tomorrow.

Chaos Grenade:(Does ~7250 damage. Plus Poison, sleep, darkness, silence, Power Break, magic break, armor break, and mental break)[i]
Stat Sphere + Grenade.

Level 3 Elmental mixes:[i]( 9 elemental hits for 900 damage each. Subject to damage change via elemental affinity)
Elemental gem + Level 1 Key Sphere.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

She is the only character that gives your character like quad 9999 HP, invincibility, etc. She's also the fastest character in the game so if nothing else in a non-sperg playthrough, she leads every battle first for someone else to switch in.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Mix lets you iirc basically set your characters to deal 9999 or 7777? exclusively for a period time. Combine it with multi hit limits and you melt hp totals. Also in general mix has super utility in multiple buffs.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Mix is the most horrifyingly overpowered overdrive in the game and Rikku is top tier. Also the crafting and teaching aeons stuff is pretty unnecessary.

Like seriously look at some of this poo poo

Most of that requires items I don't think I even saw last time I played this game, but the stat sphere + grenade one is pretty ridiculous for what it costs yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So is SotFS and vanilla DS2 might as well not exist anymore.