Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

others are allowed to say your opinion is bad
hm. that sounds moronic and pointless. (like chrono trigger, the worst video game ever made)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

hm. that sounds moronic and pointless. (like chrono trigger, the worst video game ever made)

welcome to the internet I guess

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm glad Andrast is here to explain that people are allowed to and will shitpost in response to long form discussion/detailed opinions here on SA. It was a real mystery I needed solving.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the year is 2022. with president zuckerberg having outlawed all known forms of torture, the fbi has devised a new technique: making terrorists play the prehistoric era in chrono trigger.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm glad Andrast is here to explain that people are allowed to and will shitpost in response to long form discussion/detailed opinions here on SA. It was a real mystery I needed solving.

You're welcome.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
*kills 200 people.*
*is sentenced to run through the Black Omen's big rooms 100th loving time getting different endings, fighting the same 3 encounters over and over and over again.*

The chair was more humane than this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

rumble in the bunghole posted:

which of the gothic games should I play first? I heard 2 is the best but I bought 1-3 and going out of order would be odd.

Honestly it's not really worth playing any but 2, maaaaybe 1 if you can get used to the incredibly funky control scheme but the second one is by far the best game. Toss 3 in the trash (if you're determined to play it make sure you use the community mod that fixes a bunch of stuff).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
How are people still freaking out over one person's opinion? If they don't like a game, they don't like a game, simple as that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what? the gently caress?

also, are there any good games that you would recommend on the pc? I have a lovely laptop so it can't be like the recent ps3/4 ports.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 25, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

what? the gently caress?

also, are there any good games that you would recommend on the pc? I have a lovely laptop so it can't be like the recent ps3/4 ports.

Ys Origins ran pretty fine on my oldass laptop so I'm willing to bet most of Falcom's games from that era'll run okay, if you like action RPGs or slow paced well written conventional ones.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

what? the gently caress?

trails in the sky

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of Trails, I'm disappointed they haven't announced the most important thing yet for Cold Steel 3; Whether or not it'll have BLADE in it :colbert:.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of Trails, I'm disappointed they haven't announced the most important thing yet for Cold Steel 3; Whether or not it'll have BLADE in it :colbert:.

I'm pleased to tell you that with the confirmation of Fie and Laura returning, there'll be plenty of blades, fellow gamer. :)

no seriously what is BLADE.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

the sport of kings

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Last Celebration posted:

I'm pleased to tell you that with the confirmation of Fie and Laura returning, there'll be plenty of blades, fellow gamer. :)

How have you played Cold Steel and not know what BLADE is? :psyduck:

It's the time-passing card game that is addictive as fuuuuuck.

Really Pants posted:

the sport of kings

I actually really love BLADE, just for being a legitimately-fun time-passing simple card game with a fixed deck instead of some bloated tacked-on Magic the Gathering knockoff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh yeah the card game, had a mind fart. Plus there's not really a huge incentive for to play it in CS2 compared to 1.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Blade was great as far as minigames go because there are zero consequences for losing

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfCsk5KP_Mc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tired Moritz posted:

what? the gently caress?

gothic 2

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

trails in the sky

is bad :twisted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

don't sign your posts

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you diss trails in the sky 3rd i will kill you with a loving whip sword

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

poo poo I actually tried this (though making the deck list into the actual in-game one) and it actually works really well and is really fun. I gotta pester people into trying this.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Picked up Salt and Sanctuary to play in between long bouts of Cold Steel. Any newbie traps in the builds? I'm thinking of going super tanky strength/will because until I learn the game I'm mostly going to be taking attacks on the chin. I kind of want to use spears because I love spears but they're dex based and I don't know if branching out too much will cripple me. Maybe for my second run when I actually start dodging.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My advice is to play any of the Souls games instead

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Can't. Vita.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mace build was the most fun strength build when I played it, the top mace option is a buzzsaw that does really good damage.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Magic is absurdly powerful once it gets going in that game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Getsuya posted:

Can't. Vita.

play oceanhorn then, it's a zelda and you'll like it

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Getsuya posted:

Picked up Salt and Sanctuary to play in between long bouts of Cold Steel. Any newbie traps in the builds? I'm thinking of going super tanky strength/will because until I learn the game I'm mostly going to be taking attacks on the chin. I kind of want to use spears because I love spears but they're dex based and I don't know if branching out too much will cripple me. Maybe for my second run when I actually start dodging.

Any of the big two-handed weapons, especially greathammers, pulverize very nearly all opposition in that game. I played through that game with a dagger user and a 2h hammer user and the difference in difficulty was downright absurd.

So based on my experience I'd say you can beat it with nearly anything that isn't trying to go ranged weapon only or whatever, but the difficulty scales with your weapon size.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wish someone had told me about the frame rates in the FF PC ports :sigh: I guess it's my own fault for not checking first, but come on... locked as low as 15 fps?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I wish someone had told me about the frame rates in the FF PC ports :sigh: I guess it's my own fault for not checking first, but come on... locked as low as 15 fps?

its almost like they're ps1 games

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What implementation of player participation in turn based battle systems do you all think was best? I was thinking about those today and what strikes a good balance between spicing up the gameplay and getting annoying and time consuming to do in constant battles. I guess the extreme would be something like Legend of Dragoon or FF8 if you only do Zell's or Squall's limit breaks, but where is the good mid point? Something along the lines of Mario RPG or Paper Mario, or is that still too much?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

its almost like they're ps1 games

I know you're being facetious, but they're ports of PS1 (and 2) games and that's a pretty big difference. It's not emulated, they had to rewrite and recompile code to make it run on a PC and remove limitations like resolution, add new menus, etc. and during that step they really should've removed the frame-limitations to make a good port. 20 fps might've looked fine on an old CTR screen across the room while sitting on the couch, but on a PC it's really unpleasant and I don't think that's a controversial opinion. :smith:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo if you want more player interaction during attacks you shouldn't make a turn-based rpg

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

chumbler posted:

What implementation of player participation in turn based battle systems do you all think was best? I was thinking about those today and what strikes a good balance between spicing up the gameplay and getting annoying and time consuming to do in constant battles. I guess the extreme would be something like Legend of Dragoon or FF8 if you only do Zell's or Squall's limit breaks, but where is the good mid point? Something along the lines of Mario RPG or Paper Mario, or is that still too much?

Mario & Luigi or bust. Every enemy attack should straight up be a unique minigame where you always have the possibility to clear perfectly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wrong, Valkyrie Profile

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

I think Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga did it really well, although I can't say I've played many games with that sort of system (mainly just the Mario RPGs, depending on how you define it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I dislike how long the attacks can take in Mario & Luigi.