Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

There are a couple of characters that speak in brads defence, most notably your good friend the shocker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Is it just me or do Rean and Towa make a good couple?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Getsuya posted:

That is 90% of his harem

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dumb question about Cold Steel. Do NPCs only have two things they say at any given point in time?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

chumbler posted:

Dumb question about Cold Steel. Do NPCs only have two things they say at any given point in time?

How do you mean? NPCs usually have a standard line of dialogue and one after that's usually just an abridged version of their first line if that's what you mean, and that changes with every bit of significant plot progression.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The quartz that makes your first attack do 2x damage is so broken.
Rean with that and Gale now ends every fight before it begins.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Getsuya posted:

It's the #2 pairing on my list. Shared first place on a good day. They work well together, good chemistry.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I don't know if I could rank them but my top three would be Rean x Towa, Rean x Laura and Rean x Gaius after that adorable painting scene.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Pfft, that's only the tip of that breakage. In II, the master quartz that does 2x damage at cost of slowness (Tauros) also applies to crafts, so give that and the one you mentioned (Domination) to Laura, have her self-buff, regain CP w/o attacking (via accessory, item, or support character), and Laura's S-Craft will either single-shot or get really close to it on most bosses.

(Master Quartz really has a lot of breakage potential, though usually not quite that brutal).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The sequel both increases the romance levels and makes CS1 seems balanced and underpowered in comparison. It's quite silly.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

How do you mean? NPCs usually have a standard line of dialogue and one after that's usually just an abridged version of their first line if that's what you mean, and that changes with every bit of significant plot progression.

Yeah that's what I was after. Just need to know how many times I need to talk to everyone in a town. I wish more games used Berseria's clear indication of when someone has nothing new to say.

Also Machias needs to cool it. Need to be more subtle in taking down the aristocrat scum, not give away the game from the start.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

chumbler posted:

Yeah that's what I was after. Just need to know how many times I need to talk to everyone in a town. I wish more games used Berseria's clear indication of when someone has nothing new to say.

on one hand i agree that it's good to be able to know who has something to say, but on the other, having the ! indicators only helped to drive home for me how mechanized and chorelike it felt to talk to what should be flavor characters

the last story did it pretty well, i think, where you could talk to various npcs and while they might not all have something important or even interesting to say, you would often get pointed in the direction of the few npcs who actually do give you sidequests with helpful rewards. like "the barista at the cafe near the castle looks really sad lately... i wish there was something i could do to help but i can't so oh well"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 21, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

babypolis posted:

There are a couple of characters that speak in brads defence, most notably your good friend the shocker
Shockmaster is the best party member and friend. And for a guy who only has 1 action in combat he does it really well.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Getsuya posted:

put it on laura, equip her with gladiator belt and headband, have rean use motivation :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i put it on millum and had her go into fights with her s-craft filled and double attack buffed her and she oneshot most bosses

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Thank goodness for the pawn shop selling recipes you miss. I thought I'd have to kiss 100%ing the cooking goodbye when I missed a recipe at the end of chapter 5.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they also sell books you missed. cold steel is really generous about those kinds of missables and it's badass

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if drunk dialing your favorite student is really appropriate there, Sara.

PS She is the best character so far.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

chumbler posted:

I don't know if drunk dialing your favorite student is really appropriate there, Sara.

PS She is the best character so far.

wtf is this from

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kild posted:

wtf is this from

Trails of cold steel

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kild posted:

wtf is this from

The Best PC Port of a JRPG of All Time

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Libluini posted:

As I'm playing it right now, Might and Magic VII has a turn-based mode. Being able to stop time and switch from real-time to turn-based combat has saved my rear end countless times.

Also, Wizardry 8. I like it for the way you have to think about positioning: If there are a lot of enemies around, you'll get surrounded if you don't think ahead with how your party stands around. Dying to lowly bugs because they quite literally bite your rear end is an embarrassing lesson taught by this game.

I never used turn based in Might and Magic! It never felt really worth it.

I loved MM6 - 8 and I've just picked up Wizardry 8 and am genuinely absolutely hating the game. I don't mind the obtuse mechanics or having to find a guide to know how to build my character. It's not ideal but I get that it was a thing then. But the combat is loving grindingly slow. I can't handle having to just sit there while 15 crabs all get into position, it drives me mad. I can't even play it in a window so I can do other stuff while they do it, it's just horrendous. In Might and Magic I ran away a lot as well, which you can't really do in Wizardry without loads of faffing around. I guess I feel like the option to just leg it through the enemies is something I miss. I'm imagining any of the castles or the Hive from MM6 in turn based and shuddering right now.

I also prefer the 3d backgrounds with 2D sprites. The enemies in Wizardry are very Starfox and it's ugly, really really ugly. It shocks me that MM7 is actually two years YOUNGER than Wizardry since the UI is a thousand times better and everything looks better too. I feel like I can't see far enough, it's hard to explain.

I can't decide if it's because I played MM when I was younger and was more forgiving but it just seems so much easier to understand and far less hassle to play. I guess it helps that it's pretty (in comparison) but I constantly feel like I'm struggling with Wizardry. Making me press "use item" and the ugly lovely shop interface and all sorts of other things that just make it hard to control and play.
And having to manually write what to say to NPCs! It's like being back in EQ1.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I love that Wiz 8 tried to go non-modal combat but it does a pretty poor job of it. Everything is just so drat slow. I wish Japan wasn't locked into a death grip with Wiz 1-5 so they might actually try to innovate in the genre a little. Wiz 8 tried some interesting things that could use some iteration.

If you haven't played Wiz 7 I think it is a lot better game. The interface kinda sucks but I think the game's art holds up better and the combat is more fun and faster.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Terper posted:

The Best PC Port of a JRPG of All Time

I dont remember that being in Lightning Returns?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kild posted:

I dont remember that being in Lightning Returns?

That port was pretty mediocre at best

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

That port was pretty mediocre at best

So was the game.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

What QOL improvements does the PC version of Cold Steel have over the PS3 version?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Mill Village posted:

What QOL improvements does the PC version of Cold Steel have over the PS3 version?

turbo mode

more voiced lines

a ton of graphic/resolution options, most unnecessary but welcomed

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The greater/unlimited draw distance really shows in some areas.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The turbo button alone is worth it, because it's the custom kind where you can turbo all day on a conversation, but it won't proceed until you press it.

Way more voiced lines, like they voiced the entire swimming contest for no reason.

You can do all of Nord's sidequests in like an hour with turbo mode

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mill Village posted:

it's better in pretty much every way, especially with turbo and unlimited view distance

it's also insanely well optimized, you can run it on a potato, speaking from experience

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The Nord Highlands aren't single-digit FPS anymore. GOTY

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The FPS cap has also been increased to 60. Though that's probably not important since CS isn't very action oriented.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh poo poo, a turbo might actually be what I need to get into Cold Steel again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Caphi posted:

Oh poo poo, a turbo might actually be what I need to get into Cold Steel again.

it's an extremely good addition and it even automatically runs by cutscenes at full speed so if you don't wanna sit through cutscenes again getting back to where you were when you stopped you can just skip 'em

the added voiced lines are also a really good addition, really good performances on really good lines

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Running perfectly at 60 fps is going to change the world for CS 2, that game runs like dogshit

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Vita wheezes its dying breaths as the Spirit Path alpha effects consume it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Taear posted:

I never used turn based in Might and Magic! It never felt really worth it.

I loved MM6 - 8 and I've just picked up Wizardry 8 and am genuinely absolutely hating the game. I don't mind the obtuse mechanics or having to find a guide to know how to build my character. It's not ideal but I get that it was a thing then. But the combat is loving grindingly slow. I can't handle having to just sit there while 15 crabs all get into position, it drives me mad. I can't even play it in a window so I can do other stuff while they do it, it's just horrendous. In Might and Magic I ran away a lot as well, which you can't really do in Wizardry without loads of faffing around. I guess I feel like the option to just leg it through the enemies is something I miss. I'm imagining any of the castles or the Hive from MM6 in turn based and shuddering right now.

I also prefer the 3d backgrounds with 2D sprites. The enemies in Wizardry are very Starfox and it's ugly, really really ugly. It shocks me that MM7 is actually two years YOUNGER than Wizardry since the UI is a thousand times better and everything looks better too. I feel like I can't see far enough, it's hard to explain.

I can't decide if it's because I played MM when I was younger and was more forgiving but it just seems so much easier to understand and far less hassle to play. I guess it helps that it's pretty (in comparison) but I constantly feel like I'm struggling with Wizardry. Making me press "use item" and the ugly lovely shop interface and all sorts of other things that just make it hard to control and play.
And having to manually write what to say to NPCs! It's like being back in EQ1.

Might and Magic's entire history can be summed up as 'Wizardry, but far less obtuse.'
I love Might and Magic 6-8 to death. I beat Wiz 8 but it felt like ramming my face into an operating Cuisinart the whole way.
How can two series that are so superficially similar be so disparate in the stuff that matters.

And to make matters worse, everybody who tries to reboot/remake/successor these series/genres always goes 'OOOOOHHHH turn based dungeon crawl' and leaves it at that, meaning there is nothing out there even close to M&M 6-8.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So what exactly is a "dungeon crawler RPG"? This Mary Skelter game is coming out next month and I was curious about it.

Is it (a dungeon crawler) sort of like SMT Strange Journey?