Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Blood Starved Beast is still kicking my rear end with poison even after Beyoncé taught me how to avoid his attacks. I read he’s optional though so I’ll save him for when I’m over-leveled. If Old Yarnham is optional then where am I supposed to go next after the 2nd boss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
In the area straight ahead and around the lantern in Oedon Chapel, you can find several staircases leading up to big closed gates. The next big plot advanement is inside the big cathedral after going past those gates and climbing up a lot of stairs.
Without beating Bloodstarved, you need to gather 10K echoes and buy the Hunter Chief Emblem inside the dream to open those gates. If you do beat him, a door opens in the chapel that gives you a roundabout way to get in there without buying the emblem.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Getsuya posted:

Blood Starved Beast is still kicking my rear end with poison even after Beyoncé taught me how to avoid his attacks. I read he’s optional though so I’ll save him for when I’m over-leveled. If Old Yarnham is optional then where am I supposed to go next after the 2nd boss?

you can blast the blood starved beast if you take a couple of pungent blood cocktails since he will beeline right to where you throw those and let you get a couple viscerals off per cocktail

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol loving how.

From things I've heard:

The Blade gatcha and all the things Zore said, being required to level up certain Blades in order to get exploration skills that eventually become mandatory and will require grinding if you don't have the appropriate skill, needing to play an arcade game in order to power up one of your party members, finding special aux gems and then needing to upgrade the aux gems with items you find meaning you end up hording hundreds of items, raising town affiliation, opening shops in towns, side quests that depend on town affiliation, party member affection and finding heart to hearts, different areas being restricted not only by blade skills but also by the cloud tide, gaining three separate kinds of experience in exp, wp, and ap, and then also giving you side exp that you can only spend at an inn, sending unused blades out on mercenary missions, cooking, and also the combat system having a ton of components to it but also a very bad tutorial

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Okay, XB2 has some significant problems holding it back, but some of these points are misleading.

Zore posted:

Blades in general are kind of awful as implemented.

Rare blades are too rare and have too many skills exclusively tied to them that lock sidequests, merc missions and overworld stuff. By endgame I was still missing 10/22 you can get from the gatcha despite opening literally hundreds of common and rare cores.
I agree on this one, the gacha system for them is dumbly-implemented. You CAN farm rare cores with very little time/investment if you figure out how, though. (Certain enemy types you can encounter from salvaging with a common cylinder in chapter 4 onward have a high chance of dropping rare cores.)

quote:

Transferring blades requires an insanely rare item I only found 4 of total. Opened a rare tank blade on your healer? Now you have to burn one of them to move it or just resign yourself to never using it since characters are pretty firmly locked into their roles by some game mechanics.

Every character has a 'main blade' you can't un-equip, which means they're locked pretty hard into various roles. On top of that they get different skills with the same weapons so Rex is never going to be able to heal as well as Nia because he doesn't get a direct healing spell with his healing blades.
Transferring items being rare (until lategame, you can get more) is bad. Characters are absolutely not locked into their roles unless you're terrified of classes that aren't elite fighter/healer/tank. I used Rex as a healer for a significant portion of the game, even though his main blade is DPS, and he did fantastic. The fourth party member also did a stint as DPS for me and they were great too. I'd say the only party member significantly locked into their role is Tora.

e: Also, Nia isn't the only one who gets direct healing spells, the fourth party member (whose locked blade is a tank!) gets them too. Rex as healer heals primarily through life leech, which, given how much damage he does even with two healer blades, works out quite well.

e2: Really, the list of workable classes is pretty big. Both healers and tanks can splash DPS and do well. Tanks do not want to splash healer, but once you have a tank with more than 1 blade (so their aggro can keep up), healers and DPS can splash tank for a bit of extra durability and it works well. DPS splashing healer to help out your healer with some extra potions is also great. Pure DPS/pure healer/pure tank is strong for sure but by no means the only viable option.

quote:

You're encouraged to carry around hundreds of generic blades so you can tetris them onto people to get past checks and to run on mercenary missions. They're utterly forgettable and hard to tell apart, and you likely won't ever use them in combat.
Did you...actually try using them? They're pretty strong. They get left behind in later chapters, but by then you have tons of guaranteed rare blades and have almost certainly rolled a couple from cores. Early on my generic attacker blade was doing a lot more damage than Pyra was. :v:

quote:

And ultimately it feels totally superfluous since none of them ever show up in any story cutscenes or are really acknowledged in any way beyond the rare blades all having at least one surprisingly in-depth sidequest.
:psyduck: I legitimately don't understand this point. They all have a pretty in-depth sidequest each, and there are 50-ish of them. That seems pretty integral and not superfluous?

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 10, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Or...get summoned in an area at all..? Or see summon signs to help you with a boss for an area you died in a ton?

My first run of DS2 I ended up unable to get help for The Pursuer even at an appropriate SL because I did some other areas first and died a lot.

It was kinda lovely if you played on launch but they fixed it eventually.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

:psyduck: I legitimately don't understand this point. They all have a pretty in-depth sidequest each, and there are 50-ish of them. That seems pretty integral and not superfluous?

There are only 28 rare blades and I was complaining the generic ones felt entirely superfluous.

Also 'having 1 sidequest' =/= integral. Especially since the game is balanced around assuming you don't have any given one of them due to the stupid gatcha.

72 hours I played and opened more than 250 cores. I was still missing more than half the rares you could get from them at the end.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 10, 2017

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm not sure if 'bloat' is the right word for all this, but I would definitely agree that there is very little synergy between systems, and in many cases they conflict with each other

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I definitely wish that when you got a Blade in XC2 that you had a "discard this one right now" option too. Though I guess people would occasionally trash useful non-rares or something. :shrug:

Getsuya posted:

Which is the funnest of the following first person dungeon crawler games:
Menzoberranzan
Bard's Tale
Eye of the Beholder
Ravenloft
Dungeon Hack

I just noticed I had them sitting around in my games folder, and thought one might be fun during the times my wife is on the PS4 and my brother is playing Berseria on the family sharing.

Edit: I also have all the Might and Magic games, come to think of it. I played through 3 and enjoyed it up to the end when I sort of lost interest and didn't really care to finish it. I had more fun during the middle than the beginning or end.

Classic Bard's Tale hasn't aged well and those games can be unforgiving at times. Menzo and the rest of that set of dungeon crawlers are solid. I only ever really got in to Menzo and Stone Prophet though.

If you happen to have World of Xeen sitting around you should play that instead though.

Prism posted:

It's on PS4, Xbox One, Vita, Switch and PC. Hopefully they'll do the same with the inevitable Romancing SaGa 3 rerelease.

Unless this sells terribly I'm sure they will. I plan to grab this on the Switch even though I'm only just now to Chapter 5 of Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

...with 40 hours of game time because I can't stop exploring in Xenoblade games.

Ither posted:

Is anyone playing SpellForce 3?

Does this one have real co-op or is it still "here's a special multiplayer co-op mode that isn't the campaign because lol gently caress that" like in 2? Because being able to co-op through a RTS hybrid like Spellforce would be rad.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Wait, how grindy is Disgaea 5? I just picked it up for the Switch. I thought each game got better about streamlining the grinding.

The regular game itself isn't grindy unless you want it to be.

If you want to max out level 9999 characters and do all the crazy post-game poo poo you're gonna have to grind unless there's some convenient tricks (or bugs, in D4's case) to make use of.

Usually there's a story level that you can fight level 99 enemies on (may require some votes to raise enemy level) that you can powerlevel on if you feel the need, but it's not necessary. Personally, I always enjoy running through item worlds and hoping I don't get murdered instantly by things I shouldn't be trying to fight/pass in my quest to power up weapons that don't really need powering up.

Plus the Switch version of Disgaea 5 has all the DLC, meaning you can grab Laharl and other powerful characters from the previous games early on and just run a murder squad of main characters (Desco is still awesome like in D4).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WarpDogs posted:

I'm not sure if 'bloat' is the right word for all this, but I would definitely agree that there is very little synergy between systems, and in many cases they conflict with each other

Is it still fun at least? Trying to stay out of XC2 spoilers but I've been hearing a lot of complaining lately. Like people are trying to deal with what is typically too much poo poo so they can have a cool world to explore.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's weird because there's a lot of obvious stuff to complain about but the core game is fun enough that I don't really care.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, despite my bitching about blades I still really liked the rest of the game more than I was expecting to.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WarpDogs posted:

Bloat is not the right word.

People seem to think it means things I don't like.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's weird because there's a lot of obvious stuff to complain about but the core game is fun enough that I don't really care.

Yeah, this is exactly my opinion. The menus are awful, the game doesn't respect your time, the systems don't really mesh well together

but it's a really, really good game. fun combat, fun story, fun exploration. If they continue patching it then I could see a lot of my problems going away and we could be left with something pretty special

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I only have 20 hours into the game, but I love it outside of Pyra and Mythra being godawful skeevey designs and how the camera keeps lingering on them.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So is DQ11s combat for PS4 turn-based or action? I’ve watched gameplay videos but I still can’t tell. It looks turn based but the main character moves freely and sometimes folks attack out of turn maybe? I don’t get it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah, this is exactly my opinion. The menus are awful, the game doesn't respect your time, the systems don't really mesh well together

but it's a really, really good game. fun combat, fun story, fun exploration. If they continue patching it then I could see a lot of my problems going away and we could be left with something pretty special
So we have another FF15 on our hands? I'm down with that, I love the jank!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Getsuya posted:

So is DQ11s combat for PS4 turn-based or action? I’ve watched gameplay videos but I still can’t tell. It looks turn based but the main character moves freely and sometimes folks attack out of turn maybe? I don’t get it.

It's turn-based, but there's a major difference between the ps4 and 3ds. PS4's turns immediately happen when you input actions. 3ds is still traditional DQ where you input all at once and then roll the dice on who goes first for the round.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What kills Xenoblade 2's gacha for me is that you have to go through a fairly lengthy animation for every single roll on top of most of them being randomly generated from a small pool of variations. I think it'd be better if cores were hardlocked into particular rarities, maybe punching up if you're lucky, and then rolling into a winnowing pool of unique blades for each rarity rank. Or at the very least let you multi-roll and assign blades after the fact.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's not even a special pull animation for rare blades before the reveal which is like Gacha 101.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

What kills Xenoblade 2's gacha for me is that you have to go through a fairly lengthy animation for every single roll on top of most of them being randomly generated from a small pool of variations. I think it'd be better if cores were hardlocked into particular rarities, maybe punching up if you're lucky, and then rolling into a winnowing pool of unique blades for each rarity rank. Or at the very least let you multi-roll and assign blades after the fact.

Yeah, I feel like there's no way they could probably have gotten it perfect this go around, but making the system a bit more user-friendly would have been better than what we have. The Blade system is the game's weakest point, and I feel like there are so few unique blades and the game is so exploration-focused that the game would have been better to have, like, 40 unique blades, no generic blades, and have you find their cores scattered all around the world and as the rewards of quests. You'd have basically the perfect outcome then.

Hell, if you want the random element intact, just have the blades randomized each time a new game is loaded, so you'll never find the same blade in the same chest on multiple playthroughs, making it fun to replay the game.

Fuckin' hire me Nintendo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The rare blades seem pretty specialized too so if you get ones that are like...really good against flying enemies or whatever and then don't fight flying enemies for a while they feel like they suck. It just makes not getting the 'right' blade all the worse.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm also so loving mad you can't awaken a blade first then choose who to attach it on because now I have a tank blade on Nia and a heal blade on Rex and no more of the super rare item needed to swap drivers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's not even a special pull animation for rare blades before the reveal which is like Gacha 101.

There is its just almost unnoticeable except for a few of them.

When the silhouettes pop up before the open you can see what they are, and a few rares are really distinctive. The rest just sort of look like generics though, especially if the blade design is just 'person with skimpy clothes' which is waaaaay too many of the rare blades.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Even more details on Valkyria Chronicles 4: https://gematsu.com/2017/12/valkyria-chronicles-4-details-characters-battle-system-classes

With one new mechanic rinkle

quote:

Among the new actions in Valkyria Chronicles 4 is the “Brave” system. When a character enters the verge of death stage as a result of the enemy’s attack, their dauntless fighting spirit will rise and a situation will arise where you can take one final action, which is called a Brave.

There are two types of final actions—“Rise Up” (a counterattack on the enemy’s turn) and “Entrust”—from which you can choose between while a timer is displayed on the screen.

If you choose “Rise Up,” you can become invincible for a fixed period of time (for one AP Gauge) and take one action. If you choose “Entrust,” an ability of the most nearby ally will rise, and you will recover one CP. The ability that rises depends on the class of the unit on the verge of death. Choose an action based on the situation to carry out that character’s dying wish.

It is absolutely a sequel to VC1 in gameplay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Even more details on Valkyria Chronicles 4: https://gematsu.com/2017/12/valkyria-chronicles-4-details-characters-battle-system-classes

With one new mechanic rinkle

It is absolutely a sequel to VC1 in gameplay.

A mechanic nobody is ever going to use because of savescumming, I imagine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

A mechanic nobody is ever going to use because of savescumming, I imagine.

Units don't immediately die when they get depleted to 0. It's 3 turns or enemy contact before they're gone forever. Rescuing them lets them return next turn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXN8-eIqhM

trailer for the new super robot wars

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

sounds like i lucked out since my only 2 rate blades in xc2 so far were a giant ball and a girl with a polar bear.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

baram. posted:

sounds like i lucked out since my only 2 rate blades in xc2 so far were a giant ball and a girl with a polar bear.
giant ball owns and has a good sidequest

girl with a polar bear is allegedly one of the best if you literally grind something like 80 mercenary missions for her stupid loving unique quest poo poo

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXN8-eIqhM

trailer for the new super robot wars

Is this series still stuck in licensing limbo for western releasese?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

GrandpaPants posted:

Is this series still stuck in licensing limbo for western releasese?

Yes, but they have English releases through their Southeast Asia branch so it can be imported with no language issues.

I just have a PSN account for that region personally.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, there's no real difference between a western release and their SEA translations since PS4 is region-free. The only blockade is still Macross because of Harmony Gold.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Evil Fluffy posted:

The regular game itself isn't grindy unless you want it to be.

If you want to max out level 9999 characters and do all the crazy post-game poo poo you're gonna have to grind unless there's some convenient tricks (or bugs, in D4's case) to make use of.

Usually there's a story level that you can fight level 99 enemies on (may require some votes to raise enemy level) that you can powerlevel on if you feel the need, but it's not necessary. Personally, I always enjoy running through item worlds and hoping I don't get murdered instantly by things I shouldn't be trying to fight/pass in my quest to power up weapons that don't really need powering up.

Plus the Switch version of Disgaea 5 has all the DLC, meaning you can grab Laharl and other powerful characters from the previous games early on and just run a murder squad of main characters (Desco is still awesome like in D4).

If I have an issue with D5 it's that the very last fights in the postgame basically require max stats to deal with.
Beyond the grinding issue, telling the player that their insane power does in fact have a limit takes a bit of the fun and magic out of insane power leveling and makes it feel more like...leveling.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I ended up dropping Valkyria Chronicles after I found out that the only thing the game counts when giving you your rank is how many turns you took to complete the mission and I was spending all my time cheesing missions, but I didn't have the heart to not cheese them because you get upgrade points for higher ranks

ChrisBTY posted:

If I have an issue with D5 it's that the very last fights in the postgame basically require max stats to deal with.
Beyond the grinding issue, telling the player that their insane power does in fact have a limit takes a bit of the fun and magic out of insane power leveling and makes it feel more like...leveling.

I'm not sure comparatively how difficult the final fight in Disgaea 2 is, but I did that battle with only one geared out character through some excessive cheesing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I refused to move on from missions before I S ranked them but I did finish the game because I love that kind of aggressive play style in SRPGs

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I hate games that rank you. Giving a player bonus challenges and rewarding them for that is fine, but a player should be able to play however they want as long as they beat the level. Grading just forces all players to use the ‘optimal’ play style as dictated by the creators.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grading is good in devil may cry, and bad in valkyria chronicles

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Getsuya posted:

I hate games that rank you. Giving a player bonus challenges and rewarding them for that is fine, but a player should be able to play however they want as long as they beat the level. Grading just forces all players to use the ‘optimal’ play style as dictated by the creators.

...no? It doesn't force anything in the case of something like DMC. Ranks are the bonus challenge for combat system mastery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Getsuya posted:

Only if the grades actually do something other than be there.
Nobody says that you can't just play however you want and ignore the rank you get if the rank doesn't affect the game in any way.