Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

What are Au Ra then?

Entry level Scalies.

Which is to say furries.

It's 2018 everyone's a furry you don't have to hide it behind your low level catgirls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is the same forum that had people go through lengths to claim Danganronpa wasn't anime, and actually, it was making fun of anime, and people who like it, which is why it's cool. You will never convince these insecure weirdos that they can like things that are anime.

lol what

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Rascyc posted:

lol what

If I like it there's no way it is something that is uncool.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

What are Au Ra then?

In bad need of some skin care products.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Entry level Scalies.

Which is to say furries.

It's 2018 everyone's a furry you don't have to hide it behind your low level catgirls.

hm nah I like my mmo cats furless

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The old Vita thread definitely had someone say that Disgaea wasn't anime, I remember because my response was 'Disgaea literally has an anime'.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly I can see what people mean when they say something like older FFs and Fire Emblems aren't anime--they aren't literally saying the art isn't anime-styled or whatever, they're referring to a cluster of related tropes which are very divisive (things like the characters being teens instead of 20s, verbal tics, maids, catgirls, etc etc). Disgaea and Danganronpa are among the most anime games I've played even by that metric though so I have no idea what the gently caress those people mean by "anime" other than "thing I don't like"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

hm nah I like my mmo cats furless

Reminder that in the Post Moogle quests, Urha Lizeh is specifically described as having "ink black fur".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly I can see what people mean when they say something like older FFs and Fire Emblems aren't anime--they aren't literally saying the art isn't anime-styled or whatever, they're referring to a cluster of related tropes which are very divisive (things like the characters being teens instead of 20s, verbal tics, maids, catgirls, etc etc).
The issue is that

A) all the characters in older FF games are teens
and B) stuff like catgirls, maids, verbal tics werent common anime tropes at the time those games were made. Those games were taking cues from common anime tropes of the time. ff7 is super inspired by late 80s/early 90s sci-fi ovas, fe4 is taking cues from stuff like rose of versailles, record of lodoss war, etc.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

lol what

The original LP was a magical time for the forums

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

The issue is that

and B) stuff like catgirls, maids, verbal tics werent common anime tropes at the time those games were made. Those games were taking cues from common anime tropes of the time. ff7 is super inspired by late 80s/early 90s sci-fi ovas, fe4 is taking cues from stuff like rose of versailles, record of lodoss war, etc.

I'm not saying it's a good metric to use, or appropriately named, I'm just saying that I get what people mean when they say it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

except for locke who is a 25yo dude tryna get his gently caress on with a 18yo general

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

except for locke who is a 25yo dude tryna get his gently caress on with a 18yo general

wait celes is 18 what the gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Do I even dare look up how old Quistis is supposed to be

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

also 18

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

lol she's like 17

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Final Fantasy is officially too anime for me, burn it to the ground

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can buy Quistis as 18 (and the oldest member of the party) because she's got the whole prodigy in over her head thing going on, and the whole thing is basically about emotionally traumatized child soldiers. Celes as 18 was never plausible to me.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

I can buy Quistis as 18 (and the oldest member of the party) because she's got the whole prodigy in over her head thing going on, and the whole thing is basically about emotionally traumatized child soldiers. Celes as 18 was never plausible to me.

i forget- was she a veteran general who was made into a magitek warrior or was she born in a vat and made a general because of her powers? because one is more plausible than the other

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I just shift all my frames of reference down 5-10 years whenever I play a JRPG. It works most of the time.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Growing up I straight up ignored whatever any final fantasy character's listed age was and came up with my own, and now that I'm an adult I just don't care anymore.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Flavius Belisarius posted:

i forget- was she a veteran general who was made into a magitek warrior or was she born in a vat and made a general because of her powers? because one is more plausible than the other

If I remember correctly, she was experimented on in a similar manner to Kefka, but it didn't drive her insane. So I guess they made her a general because she has powers, and Leo is the only general who's actually qualified for the job.

So you may be right.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Except poo poo like Tales of Zestiria where half the characters are thousands of years old but still act like children.

Oh god I just realized that's what it is now that I've put it that way, and I always thought that trope was an exaggeration.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bongo Bill posted:

If I remember correctly, she was experimented on in a similar manner to Kefka, but it didn't drive her insane. So I guess they made her a general because she has powers, and Leo is the only general who's actually qualified for the job.

So you may be right.
yeah she was either a vat baby or experimented on at some age < 5

and Gestahl was all about showing off magic so he gave her a leading role for basically no reason probably?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only imperial general who acts remotely like anything resembling a general is leo, kefka and celes are just kind of random superpowered guys who wander around doing whatever they want

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The White Dragon posted:

Or the other way around, canonically Zidane was hitting on grown woman in bars at the age of 13.

Admittedly, this is completely in line with Zidane's character.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My only Dangan memory is when the anime aired and someone bought an SA advert banner spoiling something and people flipped their poo poo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Andrast posted:

FF was always an anime

I dont think FF went full anime until 7

early on it was basically a D&D ripoff and I dont consider the weird wispy designs of the snes era anime

babypolis fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 17, 2018

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

babypolis posted:

I dont think FF went full anime until 7

Ahahahahahahaha oh my dude.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
*watches the first battle in ff6 with Edward, Sabin, and Terra*

"NOPE NOT ANIME LALALALALA"

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

obviously it always had tons of anime influences but the early games were a mishmash of a bunch of different things. 6 in particular just throws everything in there

its not a value judgement, I dont think being anime makes the series any better or worse. But you can deffo see how they made the transitions to a fully anime art style from 6 to 7

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does the word "anime" have an antonym

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Really Pants posted:

good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Really Pants posted:

I dunno if there's a one word but I consider the god of war/space marine aesthetic to be the polar opposite

Of course now Endorph is gonna tell me about a space marine anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's called halo legends

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that's a synonym.

babypolis posted:

obviously it always had tons of anime influences but the early games were a mishmash of a bunch of different things. 6 in particular just throws everything in there

its not a value judgement, I dont think being anime makes the series any better or worse. But you can deffo see how they made the transitions to a fully anime art style from 6 to 7
amano literally designed characters for anime dude

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is the same forum that had people go through lengths to claim Danganronpa wasn't anime, and actually, it was making fun of anime, and people who like it, which is why it's cool. You will never convince these insecure weirdos that they can like things that are anime.
Do you think there's some kind correlation between age and weird hatred of things being "anime"?

I feel like I've seen that more in people 5-10ish years older than I am (I'll be 26 in February) than people around my own age but obviously that's just anecdotal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I dunno if there's a one word but I consider the god of war/space marine aesthetic to be the polar opposite

Of course now Endorph is gonna tell me about a space marine anime
jin-roh?

that's more killzone tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Both of them were quite magical, my favorite part is when Oren decided to end DR2 because the game was officially coming out in the west and people saying he should continue it cause they didn't want to buy the game.

Also the one dude who cosplayed as the SA paywall.