Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved the fight on the pirate ship with the Lord who goes totally insane though. "Zael's making fun of me, mummy... and Callista and the Count AND AND AND EVERYONE!"

I love the BGM track for that fight, because it blends the surrounding sounds of the raging storm in with it.

Seriously, listen to this poo poo;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nF2U_IDdc4
(Be aware, there are spoilers in the comments if you click to the youtube page)

edit: drat ye, Electric Phantasm! Now we must duel to the death! On a Pirate Ship! In a raging storm! :argh::yarr:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Invitation to Madness is such a good song

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0nF2U_IDdc4

all of the last story's endgame boss tracks are fantastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw1AJAUBpk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI21VSjw2ic

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hope someone LPs Pandora's Tower at some point because it's the most ignored one (I have requested it in the thread). Hell, I may do it someday, but I have other games I want to do first.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The neatest thing to me about Pandora's Tower is the logic behind how the affection level with Elena changes the final boss and ending. Zeron is hitchhiking in her body, so the closer Elena is with Aeron, the more it affects her behavior, which also changes how much exposition you get from her before the actual fight. In Ending C she's so dismissive of him that she doesn't even bother talking before she attacks; in B she's more gently amused, and gives some vague explanation of what she is and what she's planning; in A she's clearly love-struck but still coherent enough to reveal the truth behind the bosses and the construction of the twelve towers. But in Ending S it wraps back around and she's a raving loon who can't do anything but gibber Aeron's name over and over, and wants to join with him so badly she pulls herself back from the brink of death to claw him away one last time. That means you get no exposition in the best ending, but it also makes Zeron vulnerable to being put down for good without any sacrifices on the main characters' part.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked how the bosses were mirrors of one another - each element (Water, Metal, Fire, Earth, Wood) has a God representing it, that you fight in the first half of the game, and a corresponding Goddess that you fight in the second half - the Gods are representative of the Light side of the element while the Goddesses are the Dark Side. As such, some of the bosses are fought in a similar way as their other half - the water god has a moving weakpoint, but it's easily trackable and the weakpoint follows a specific "track" on his body making it predictable. Similarly, the water goddess has a moving weakpoint but it's now hidden beneath a carapace and moves randomly becoming much harder to find. Even the strategy is inverted - the water god gets dangerous the more parts are left alone so it's worth taking out it's tentacles and water cannons while waiting for the weakpoint to show up. However the goddess must be treated much more carefully - destroying irrelevant parts releases more guns and tentacles, meaning that randomly flailing will get you killed quicker as she will have more attacks to throw at you more rapidly.

Not all the bosses compare that neatly, but it's interesting for the obvious ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The White Dragon posted:

all of the last story's endgame boss tracks are fantastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw1AJAUBpk8

Dance of Death is my other favourite boss track from TLS. It reminds me a lot of Still More Fighting from Final Fantasy VII :allears:.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Last Story
Final Fantasy
Concluding Chronicle
Terminal Tale
Ultimate Utterance

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Antipodal Annal

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Surely it can't be as bad as I remember, right? It's been kicking around my cartridge case for the last decade, taking up space; I owe it to myself to give the game another try...

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm trying out Wild Arms 3.

It's fun but this encounter rate is abysmal.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CaptainScraps posted:

skim a guide for migrant seals, the whole system for skipping encounters is a big help but the game can be kinda obscure about where the seals to upgrade it are. if i didn't look it up i'd have missed one as early as the first town

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yes, you really don't need to go into random encounters. i skipped 99% of them and the game gave more than enough exp just through using exp doublers on bosses

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

The Last Story
Final Fantasy
Concluding Chronicle
Terminal Tale
Ultimate Utterance

last legend :cmon:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dance of Death is my other favourite boss track from TLS. It reminds me a lot of Still More Fighting from Final Fantasy VII :allears:.

it reminds me of howl of the departed imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbsI9xFuo8

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Motherfucker

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

Surely it can't be as bad as I remember, right? It's been kicking around my cartridge case for the last decade, taking up space; I owe it to myself to give the game another try...

I can't say (soundtrack aside) it's like unplayably terrible or anything but it's basically got few redeeming values either. The combat system is trivially broken and very slow, the plot is literally fanfiction of fanfiction and ends on a cliffhanger while the characters talk about how great Bioware is, the graphics are eh, there's some amusing writing bits but nothing particularly noteworthy and the soundtrack is the soundtrack.

It's not Lunar: Dragon Song or anything but it's also not really worth playing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CaptainScraps posted:

another thing to note is that certain actions will cancel encounters for free. opening chests (or checking an empty one), hitting switches, interacting with a ladder, jumping off a ledge, and grabbing a pushable box, just to name a few. you'll also get Booster Kits linearly along dungeons, and these will increase your total MTC by 10, and increase the amount that you get back from white crystals by 1.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

ImpAtom posted:

It's not Lunar: Dragon Song or anything but it's also not really worth playing.
Darn, I thought it was Dragon Song bad; I hoped it might be good for a couple of laughs. Thanks for the heads-up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

Darn, I thought it was Dragon Song bad; I hoped it might be good for a couple of laughs. Thanks for the heads-up.

Outside of the hyperbole and the loving awful music, honestly not really. It's just... stunningly mediocre and boring. If not for the Sonic license it would just be a forgotten no-name DS RPG.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The rhythm minigames are pretty egregious, though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Elephant Parade posted:

You need to prepare for the sequel now that the father of Sonic works for Square-Enix.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 4, 2018

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Especially since the controls weren't nearly as responsive as EBA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Friendly Factory posted:

I find its battle system pretty aggressively bad. Having Elite Beat Agents-type stuff for everything is just... bad.

Eh. It's overly long but far from the worst and it's so trivial to break, not to mention you can find ways to effectively turn off the EBA stuff and still do full damage. If it wasn't so easy to break it might be worse but you can break it by looking at it sideways.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it's just very boring so why bother

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

:stare: Bravely Default really goes nuts in Chapter 7, huh? I manage to take down Ominas and "Bahamut" after multiple tries, and what should happen but Heinkel and Barras tag in. Am I underleveled (mid-60s) or do I just need to figure out a better team setup? I'll be sad to drop Dual Shields/Shield Lore/DEF +30% Tiz, but this really isn't the right fight for that build.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest part of sonic chronicles is eggman joining the party and having literally one skill, and the game still acting like it's a surprise when he betrays the party

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Eggman did nothing wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the second funniest part is it being higher rated than andromeda

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

the funniest part of sonic chronicles is eggman joining the party and having literally one skill, and the game still acting like it's a surprise when he betrays the party
Hey, he also has a combo attack with Tails. You even have to invest skill points into it—possibly even on Tails' end, which is hilarious if true (it probably isn't).

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 23, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

:stare: Bravely Default really goes nuts in Chapter 7, huh? I manage to take down Ominas and "Bahamut" after multiple tries, and what should happen but Heinkel and Barras tag in. Am I underleveled (mid-60s) or do I just need to figure out a better team setup? I'll be sad to drop Dual Shields/Shield Lore/DEF +30% Tiz, but this really isn't the right fight for that build.

You can beat that game at level 1. It's entirely about your team setup. That late in the game, all of the most insanely broken combos are available to you. See if you can figure out how to give yourself effectively infinite BP.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It also had a cliffhanger ending despite being such a slipshod project in general, so you just have this random sonic rpg that ends with "welp, eggman wins, but aren't those bioware folks neato?"

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

exquisite tea posted:

The Last Story
Final Fantasy
Concluding Chronicle
Terminal Tale
Ultimate Utterance

Swan Song

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm Playing through FFIX now. Got to Gizamaluke's grotto. I loved the game for all these years. But the speed booster makes it so much better.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sefal posted:

I'm Playing through FFIX now. Got to Gizamaluke's grotto. I loved the game for all these years. But the speed booster makes it so much better.

When I first played FFIX, I'd been coming off FF8 and FF7 as the previous titles I'd played, so IX took a long while to grab me, but it was around Gizamaluke's where I felt everything had suddenly come together -- the weird village stuff, the grandiose castle stuff, all of it had at last clicked ito place and I was thoroughly invested. It's such a well-done little dungeon, particularly for how it provides player interactions and story elements. Plus, the fact that there's a secret back entrance that leads to...well, fun times...just cements it.

The entire Burmecian act of FFIX is probably some of Final Fantasy's best work in the whole series. I especially like how throughout it you have opportunities to save people or fail to save them, and there's no do-overs -- this is especially true in the climax of the arc, where after so much misery and death has preceded you, you have a single fleeting chance to save some people -- and you have an abundance of ways to fail them.

It's so loving great.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

A retranslation of Opoona came out recently. Its been a long time since I last played it, but I do remember the translation being a bit rough at times. Not like a Koei or NISA translation, but it could have been improved.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3819/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mill Village posted:

A retranslation of Opoona came out recently. Its been a long time since I last played it, but I do remember the translation being a bit rough at times. Not like a Koei or NISA translation, but it could have been improved.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3819/
I randomly watched that game get speedrun a few weeks ago (I don't even remember, was RPGLB going or something?) and it was endearing as gently caress so I should probably check this out.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Lost Sphear looks...boring.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Chas McGill posted:

Lost Sphear looks...boring.

ah, a tokyo rpg factory game

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The clue is in the company name I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I didn't have high hopes from Lost Sphear given how bad I Am Setsuna was, but the demo made it seem almost worse somehow??