Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

U-DO Burger posted:

e: I have a feeling the game is never going to just come out and say it, but Velvet's gay, right?

Probably was as a human. Might be asexual as a daemon, that's how I read her at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought she was bi but leaned more heavily towards being into women.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm a good chunk of the way through Berseria now and I'm impressed with how playable the other party members are. I still prefer playing as Velvet because I one of my favorite RPG classes is the dark knight and its "sac HP to deal increased damage" thing, and her moveset is so cool, but it's fun to change things up a bit and just mess around as someone else for a bit. I am also so very happy that the map screen will let you know if you can continue any quests you've started. I played through Vesperia the most out of all the Tales games, which gave me some serious PTSD thanks to its horrible quest triggers.

I know it's never going to happen but if they're looking to revive the Tales series, it'd be nice if they got rid of Sakuraba. I know I already mentioned the music but this is seriously the worst I've heard from him in a Tales game. So many tracks just feel like noise instead of music

e: I have a feeling the game is never going to just come out and say it, but Velvet's gay, right?

It's not stated. Honestly, relationships aren't a big deal at all in Berseria, which I found refreshing. Love stories are cool but they're a dime a dozen in JRPGs. Velvet and co just really wanna fuckin murder those guys, as hard as possible.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The relationships in Berseria are two moms, two dads, their adopted child, and two bad examples.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Magilou is the cool teen who lives next door

Somewhere in the first few hours of the game Rokurou and Velvet have a conversation about things they lost when they became daemons (this is when it came up she lost her sense of taste) and I thought for sure that it would pay off eventually with Velvet saying she lost her capacity for romantic love, or even a PG-13 euphemism for her losing her libido. It never really came up again but she doesn't act inconsistent with that and it stayed my headcanon the whole way through

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Magilou is like early 30s minimum.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yes but in this analogy where Eleanor and Velvet are moms Magilou is the cool teen, even though she's way older than both of them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Berseria is weirdly centered around love but it's familial love, not the romantic kind.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Apparently Magilou is canonically not quite 30 because there's a bonus skit in the guidebook where Medisa pegs Magilou around her age, which is 30-ish, and Magilou gets offended.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

cheetah7071 posted:

Yes but in this analogy where Eleanor and Velvet are moms Magilou is the cool teen, even though she's way older than both of them

Magilou is the Cool Aunt who lets the kids do crimes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This might be advertising my poor reading comprehension skills but I thought if you paid attention to the timeline she was a young child during youth of the father of some random adult NPC

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Really, the entire plot of Berseria could be read as a metaphor for coming to terms with your dysfunctional family instead of pretending they don't exist.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

OneDeadman posted:

Magilou is the Cool Aunt who lets encourages the kids do crimes

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Magilou doesn't actively encourage anything, she just heckles. Bienfu is an actual bad influence though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like Bienfu's hat. None of you can take that away from me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It is a very pretty hat.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

It's not stated. Honestly, relationships aren't a big deal at all in Berseria, which I found refreshing. Love stories are cool but they're a dime a dozen in JRPGs. Velvet and co just really wanna fuckin murder those guys, as hard as possible.

Oh yeah I didn't get the impression there was going to be romance, which is pretty nice in a JRPG. I just thought it was pretty cool that the lead in a Tales game just happened to be gay.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
That's not a hat, it's an out-growth of his skull.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

You can definitely read it that way. Some of it's just having a female protagonist in a traditionally masculine story but there is a lot of hinting at it that feels more intentional, like everyone in her village going 'haha looking forward to you marrying a guy Velvet' or Niko going on about how they have to get good husbands and Velvet just going "...???" To a certain extent that seems to be more framing Velvet's home as a little hosed up but there is definitely, yeah, something going on there. And the game goes out of its way to not even halfway pair her with Eizen or Rokurou - they have some banter but it's impressive how dedicated they are to not really letting you read those as romantic interactions despite how open to shipping the series usually is.

And, well, there's been playing around with stuff like that before in the series? Baba said that while he mostly saw Sorey as uninterested in relationships, Mikleo would be the only real option. And there's a lot of scenes in Zestiria that kind of support that take, like Edna making a joke about Sorey being interested in her and Lailah and Sorey seeming more confused by what she means than surprised. Or the jokes in Graces about Asbel and Richard being into each other, even if Asbel winds up marrying Cheria. Iunno, it definitely feels kind of intentional on the game's part.

IMO I just read Velvet as mostly into girls but not really interested in romance for a variety of reasons, mostly related to wanting to murder Artorius. Her and Magilou definitely have some weird sexual tension though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LIST OF GAYEST THINGS TO HAPPEN IN THE TALES SERIES

10) Graces; that time Richard said 'My, what FABULOUS vases."

9) Legendia; that skit where normia goes on for a solid minute about Chloe's muscles

8) Xillia; that skit at one of the Tales of Festivals where Milla points out all the women in the audience and Elle asks why they're all squealing for Milla instead of Ludger, and Milla goes "Well. You see."

7) Abyss; that time the game kind of just said Dist was into Jade beating him up

6) Vesperia; that one 4koma comic where Yuri feels like someone's stalking him, Anise goes "Maybe it's an ex-lover?" and Yuri goes "The closest thing I have to an ex is..." before it cuts to Flynn hiding in the bushes.

5) I forget if anything gay happens in Rebirth

4) Berseria; that entire conversation about Velvet eating Magilou

3) pretty much everything about spada in innocence

2) Zestiria; Mikleo and Sorey's everything

1) Zestiria the X; the scene where rose and alisha wake up next to each other in bed and say 'we did it...' 'we did it!'

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'd be cool with a gay Tales protagonist, I just think it'd be hard to explicitly establish that without also having some kind of plot about relationships which Berseria, imho, didn't need. On the other hand if Sorey had been gay it might have given him an actual characteristic beyond "is nice, I guess" and "is the hero"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Is Lightning a lesbian? Post your thoughts here!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lightning is a lesbian only if being extremely boring is female because that's her soulmate

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/nisamerica

Nisa Press Conference starts in a few minutes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Is Lightning a lesbian? Post your thoughts here!!

she wants to gently caress steak

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

is pana a lesbian

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Lightning is a lesbian only if being extremely boring is female because that's her soulmate

She's actually pretty fun in Lightning Returns, the best Final Fantasy. Hell, she's alright in 13-1 as well, and she's barely in 13-2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The gayest final fantasy character is probably Estinien but only when the warrior of light is male

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

The gayest final fantasy character is probably Estinien but only when the warrior of light is male

You mean Haurchefaunt, right

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yes I'm dumb I did mean Harchefaunt

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The writing is awful in LR even as a dunk on the 13 universe. But I guess the bar is low to improve on lightning.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i tried playing lr but i wasn't really in the mood for what it was but also it had a sidequest that was just helping a woman who turned herself into her dead cat and i could make lightning cosplay as cloud wearing a cute hat so the writing was awesome actually

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sorey is so gay you guys

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

My favorite quest in lightning returns is the woman who wants you to find her dead dad's killer, except it turns out he faked his own death and wants you to find his dad's killer, except it turns out his dad also faked his own death so you invite them all to the most awkward dinner ever and then run away. The end!

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I'm really enjoying Cold Steel II but Fie's outfit is just loving :psyduck:

She's a child soldier, not a hooker!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Christ Centered Gamer is where I go to find the best homo games.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I heard Atelier Lydie and Suelle sold poorly, but was it better than Firis and Sophie at least?

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 10, 2018

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

6) Vesperia; that one 4koma comic where Yuri feels like someone's stalking him, Anise goes "Maybe it's an ex-lover?" and Yuri goes "The closest thing I have to an ex is..." before it cuts to Flynn hiding in the bushes.

Hey, don't forget the time that Rita and Estelle adopted a baby together. Pic swiped from the LP:

Bonus: art for Yuri's MA in Tales of the Rays:

ETA: if I'm getting into Rays MA art, I'd be remiss not to include this one:

And to bring it back around to the original question:

Actias fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 10, 2018

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The only time Lightning has been written well was in World of Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
WoFF mostly did everyone justice. It even managed to make a Dirge of Cerberus character ok.

Also wanna share this because I slept through it and the translation issues still going on amuse me: