Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm taking advantage of the Tyranny free weekend to trial the game. Anything I absolutely need to know before I start a character?

e: my favorite Xillia "improvement" was how in the sequel they decided to try swiping Graces' extremely good sidestep mechanic, and it was really clearly a tacked-on cargo cult attempt to make it More Like Graces without context for how Graces was architected, and also they put it on an insanely clunky button combo where you had to hit like three things at once with precise timing

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

I'm taking advantage of the Tyranny free weekend to trial the game. Anything I absolutely need to know before I start a character?

Magic > everything and as a direct result of that lore is the god stat

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dehry posted:

... Was there always a second merchant at the church in Atelier Lydie and Suelle? She appears at night and has Rainbow Corundum.

there's also merchants selling awesome rare poo poo in atelier borthayre and the castle entrance hall (during the day) and at hagel's place (during the night) for those who've bought DLC apparently!

i just blew 300k but for this postgame file, money's no object

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I hope that the next Atelier is good!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Caphi posted:

The game locks you on a certain route pretty early in the game based on a decision you make, and you can't really change which faction to ally with after that.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Caphi posted:

e: my favorite Xillia "improvement" was how in the sequel they decided to try swiping Graces' extremely good sidestep mechanic, and it was really clearly a tacked-on cargo cult attempt to make it More Like Graces without context for how Graces was architected, and also they put it on an insanely clunky button combo where you had to hit like three things at once with precise timing

Xillia already had side stepping but it was a skill you had to learn and was technically a kind of attack. X2's implementation would have been fine if they'd been willing to properly rework the controls rather than keeping that goofy rear end mapping (L1 + up/down + regular attack so you could easily get a jump by accident if you wanted to step into the screen if anyone's curious), I guess for consistency? Like I remember fighting that one guy with the wires and thinking I'd be having a lot of fun if sidestep was just mapped sensibly. X2's combat feels a lot better than it's predecessor imo and it's almost entirely down to tuning rather than any obvious specific changes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Caphi posted:

Make a wizard because it's the only way you can possibly succeed in fights

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

Make a wizard because it's the only way you can possibly succeed in fights

can one make a subterfuge wizard?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

really enjoying Trails of Cold Steel so far, this feels like a straight upgrade to Trails in the Sky in every department other than the main protagonist. I think the school setting, as cliche as it is, is a much better fit for the predictability and world-building style of these games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

MechaX posted:

But I do not know what the game's beef was with Alisha or why I should think Rose is the most awesome person in the universe upon her introduction. The treatment of the two characters got so weird that it felt like an inside joke or beef that I wasn't really privy to.

tbh rose is like, 90% of why i like the zestiria anime enough to rec it as a straight upgrade because compared to how much of a non-character rose is in the game, in the x she actually, kind of has a small attempt at an arc and she buddies up with alisha for 75% of it instead of awkwardly stealing her place and the way their relationship is written is actually kind of cool. also her being an assassin is actually portrayed as being pretty hosed up and not just, a thing she casually does that isn't bad because reasons

Tales of Woe posted:

really enjoying Trails of Cold Steel so far, this feels like a straight upgrade to Trails in the Sky in every department other than the main protagonist. I think the school setting, as cliche as it is, is a much better fit for the predictability and world-building style of these games.

cold steel did a way better job making me actually go out of my way to talk to all of the people around every town and made it feel like less of a time sink to do thanks to its setting

and then doing that added an extra 10 hours of time to my playthrough

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tales of Woe posted:

I disagree as the sidequest feature feels tacked on while the Bracer system felt a little more natural and to a degree more complete.

In Sky it felt like you were just going around naturally while it felt moire forced in CS

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MechaX posted:

Zestiria was decent at first even if the story and lore was astronomically frustrating at times (I actually appreciate that Berseria did try to address the entire malevolence concept as best as it could, because Zestiria sure as gently caress didn't handle it well).

But then I got into a dungeon consisting of narrow corridors where the camera (and even monsters) would get stuck on walls, followed up with some Lizard Man boss that was one-shotting the entire party despite everything in the game being a cake walk. Then it turned out that you have to do side quests to actually raise party HP. The story was going nowhere fast and I wasn't fond of the characters, so I dropped it at that point (maybe 15 hours in), and I have no real intention of ever going back to that game.

Music was cool though.

But I do not know what the game's beef was with Alisha or why I should think Rose is the most awesome person in the universe upon her introduction. The treatment of the two characters got so weird that it felt like an inside joke or beef that I wasn't really privy to.

The big gimmick of Zestiria was supposed to be choices affecting the storyline. So they originally planned to have separate routes and plots for each of them and you'd get to pick which lady to be with. But the budget ran out so it's just everyone hating Alisha forever and the game is a short linear plot with bland characters. So basically Alisha leaves the party for most of the game because you were supposed to be able to follow her instead and see what she does during the game instead of Rose but making games is hard and Zestiria is literally like a third of what was actually planned

In Japan people were extremely pissed because she was way more prominent in all the media there and then she's like barely in the thing. It got review bombed on amazon.jp and everything! I think in English it just kind of comes across as weird and unfinished because there was a lot less ZESTIRIA FEATURING ALISHA (and sorey or whoever) stuff in the promotion here and she's hardly the only character who disappears for no reason.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The funniest thing I heard of wrt that was a tales mobage implementing Alisha along with other Zesty characters, with a profile that included "the heroine of ToZ". That text was removed post-release.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
zestiria taught everyone at the team that trying to make an open world rpg in three years on a tales game budget is a bad idea and also that their producer sucked at his job

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Crossposting from deals:

Not_Log posted:

Fanatical Bento Bundle

$4.99

The Gate of Firmament
World's Dawn
Gurumin: A Monstorous Adventure
Graze Counter
Moekuri: Adorable + Tactical SRPG
Empire of Angels IV
Soul Saber 2
Celestian Tales: Old North
Dragon Striker
Chinese Paladin: Sword and Fairy 6
lovely Chinese RPG on sale, etc

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gurumin is not a lovely chinese RPG

but that's a good deal for gurumin alone. Best falcom game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Crossposting from deals:

Will I be lost if I didn’t play sword and fairy 1-5?????

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Crossposting from deals:

You missed it including Gate of Firmament, which is pretty good actually

Sword and Fairy 6 is completely terrible though and should be avoided

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How is Celestian?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

You missed it including Gate of Firmament, which is pretty good actually
I literally bolded it! That was what I was semi-intending to point out (although Gurumin is also good and I assume the rest of the bundle is worth a dollar in kusoge value alone)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well I got that bundle like a chump and now I have a Gurumin key I don't need.

4WBPV-?XQXW-RZI65

Replace ? with the last letter in the game's name

If you grab this you better not just let the game sit in your library, Gurumin deserves better!!

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

GrandpaPants posted:

How is Celestian?
Much shorter than I expected and doesn't deliver on some of its promises. Since it's only the first part of the story, it also feels unfinished.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

for me it helped a lot that the gameplay went from the dead boring to kinda interesting

also school framing device gives the game better pacing imo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CS had good pacing.

It was way to slow for me
Story wise

gameplay was a bit to fast paced.

Speaking of that what was the framing device for Crossbell?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Speaking of that what was the framing device for Crossbell?
Due to the corrupt government, trust in bracers is at an all-time high, and government forces are mocked and ridiculed. You play as the SSS, the newly instituted Special Support Section of the Crossbell Police, who as their name implies are meant to act in a more bracer-like style, helping civilians and the like. This makes them the target of mockery for both elitist police snobs and the citizens who just think they're bracers, but worse.

Terper fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 27, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Terper posted:

Due to the corrupt government, trust in bracers are at an all-time high, and government forces are mocked and ridiculed. You play as the SSS, the newly instituted Special Support Section of the Crossbell Police, who as their name implies are meant to act in a more bracer-like style, helping civilians and the like. This makes them the target of mockery for both elitist police snobs and the citizens who just think they're bracers, but worse.

That actually is pretty interesting I like that much more than the rather weirdly defined school thing

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'd rather be a military student than a loving cop

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'd rather be a cop that wields double tonfas and one-on-one a mafia boss in the first hour than get slapped for landing on a girl

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

id rather be the one with an english translations (please someone translate zero :( )

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

The funniest thing I heard of wrt that was a tales mobage implementing Alisha along with other Zesty characters, with a profile that included "the heroine of ToZ". That text was removed post-release.
the funniest thing is that the zestiria anime solved this issue by having alisha and rose wake up next to each other in bed and say 'we did it!!' and then the show ended with them bumping their hips into each other and talking about how they dont want husbands

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tae posted:

I'd rather be a cop that wields double tonfas and one-on-one a mafia boss in the first hour than get slapped for landing on a girl

wow look at this chud who wants to be a cop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

upon reflection heres my review of tales of graces:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What are Katz? We may never know.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
yes shadow hearts please make me play through 2/3s of a dungeon with nothing but my basic attack

edit: what the gently caress this boss just one shot my entire party

Charlie Bobson fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 27, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

i'd rather be a military student than a loving cop

That seems to be a wash from a woke standpoint

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

That actually is pretty interesting I like that much more than the rather weirdly defined school thing

It's not actually that weirdly-defined; Thors Academy is an Officer's prep school and, upon graduation, they're pretty much eligible for a commission of some kind (if not actively scouted). Especially the nobles, where this is basically their stepping stone to getting Daddy assigning them some cushy command role just for the status it brings.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not actually that weirdly-defined; Thors Academy is an Officer's prep school and, upon graduation, they're pretty much eligible for a commission of some kind (if not actively scouted). Especially the nobles, where this is basically their stepping stone to getting Daddy assigning them some cushy command role just for the status it brings.

I mean within the framework of the game as all three games do the exact same thing with just different reasons for why.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Well fundamentally it always comes down to Bracers are cool, be a bracer or function more like bracers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I hope that the next Atelier is good!

While there isn't any news out just yet, we're in the period of time they were teasing a new Atelier game announcement.