Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, time to read the manual!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CubeTheory posted:

I'm playing TitS on Hard and all physical attacks seem pretty garbage so far. Am I missing something or is this a hard thing? I'm up to date on equipment, nothing gives me much xp, and I'm partway through chapter one.

I played thru it on hard and in the early game before you have a lot of options at your disposal, spamming magic (make sure to get the orbs that let you cast spells quicker!) and going into boss fights with full CP is the only way to stay sane. Also take advantage of the fact that escaping from a battle will never fail.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TitS 1 on harder difficulty doesn't seem interesting since itd just increase the # of fights where cheesing it with earth wall is the only good strategy

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm playing Phantasy Star 4 for the first time but is there any in game documentation on what these skills and techniques do?

If you don't have the manual, I suggest having pen + paper ready while playing and trying them out a lot. That's how I (very slowly) learned what most of them do.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Harder difficulty for turn based combat in general isn't very interesting since all it does is increase the number of grinding.

It's only if it unlocks AI at higher difficulty that it gets interesting.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Harder difficulty for turn based combat in general isn't very interesting since all it does is increase the number of grinding.

Harder difficulty doesn't necessarily mean more grinding even if it's just bigger numbers on enemies though

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Tae posted:

Or if it gives enemies new abilities. Or if it places interesting limitations on the player. Or...

Basically, anything other than "enemies have bigger numbers" can be interesting if handled well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Even bigger numbers can be interesting if the the normal difficulty is tuned so that you don't need to use all of the options you have but the boosted enemies make you actually need to consider them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trails of cold steel balances higher difficulties better than sky because the combat system leaves enough room for the player that it doesn't force you to grind as much as plan for bosses, sky doesn't give you any really good options until sky 3rd so higher difficulties just make it annoying

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Doesn't DOS2's higher difficulty unlock actual new abilities for its enemies? I don't know what percentage get new abilities, but it's a good idea since it adds a lot more tactical considerations that you have to contend with. Probably makes coding AI a pain in the rear end, though.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sky 3rd was the only one where it felt like physical damage didn't fall off after the early game. cold steel balances the magic better than any of the sky games which all just turned into spamming soul blur/shadow spear/whatever the full screen black spell was called.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Colonel posted:

trails of cold steel balances higher difficulties better than sky because the combat system leaves enough room for the player that it doesn't force you to grind as much as plan for bosses, sky doesn't give you any really good options until sky 3rd so higher difficulties just make it annoying

Eh CS doesn’t really do balance.

Not that Sky was good at that either I’d argue neither series really understood what balancing is. Though for radically different reasons.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Cold Steel makes crafts really strong which is better imo because it makes the characters much more differentiated.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Andrast posted:

Even bigger numbers can be interesting if the the normal difficulty is tuned so that you don't need to use all of the options you have but the boosted enemies make you actually need to consider them

This is basically what my experience with trails fc and sc was on hard mode.

I never had to grind but I did have to spend time experimenting with a bunch of different gear/orb setups and strategies to get past the harder boss fights, which was very much my poo poo. Probably wouldn't have gotten to the end of sc if not for that factor.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Hi thread! I love SRPGs! My favorite game ever is FFT and right now I'm playing through Jeanne D'Arc again because in this grand modern age of technology I can play it on my TV with a controller instead of on a tiny PSP screen.

Anyway I have a question; someone told me about a game called Hoshigami and I looked it up and it's an SRPG I have not yet played. I don't care if it's good or not, I just want to know if the PS1 or DS remake is better. Also, after I find a legit copy, I was wondering what the best emulators for those systems are because I would really like to never play another game on a handheld ever again if I can play it on my TV through an emulator instead.

Neither game is super expensive on ebay which is nice but I'm already leaning towards the DS version just because it should have shorter load times. Any advice?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hi thread! I love SRPGs! My favorite game ever is FFT and right now I'm playing through Jeanne D'Arc again because in this grand modern age of technology I can play it on my TV with a controller instead of on a tiny PSP screen.

Anyway I have a question, someone told me about a game called Hoshigami and I looked it up and it's an SRPG I have not yet played. I don't care if it's good or not, I just want to know if the PS1 or DS remake is better. Also, after I find a legit copy, I was wondering what the best emulators for those systems are because I would really like to never play another game on a handheld ever again if I can play it on my TV through an emulator instead.

Neither game is super expensive on ebay which is nice but I'm already leaning towards the DS version just because it should have shorter load times. Any advice?

Hoshigami is atrocious but the DS one at least fixes a few of it's issues.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zore posted:

Hoshigami is atrocious but the DS one at least fixes a few of it's issues.

I noticed the bad reviews but I will play any SRPG even if it's bad. What issues got fixed?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Anyway I have a question; someone told me about a game called Hoshigami and I looked it up and it's an SRPG I have not yet played. I don't care if it's good or not, I just want to know if the PS1 or DS remake is better. Also, after I find a legit copy, I was wondering what the best emulators for those systems are because I would really like to never play another game on a handheld ever again if I can play it on my TV through an emulator instead.

Instead of playing Hoshigami instead take a large a hammer and start smashing all your fingers

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

IIRC the DS version adds difficulty levels that make it more tolerable to play but it's still not a good game by any means.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CYBEReris posted:

IIRC the DS version adds difficulty levels that make it more tolerable to play but it's still not a good game by any means.

DS version it is! Thanks thread! Can't wait to play this lovely game! :dance:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Instead of playing Hoshigami instead take a large a hammer and start smashing all your fingers

Now I'm curious; Just how bad a trainwreck IS this game? :suspense:

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's hard as balls, for example the second fight in the game is 10 vs 5 with enemies really better equiped than your characters, and it only gets worse from there. It has special levels designed to let you grind, but enemies in those levels give so little XP the optimal way to level up is for your characters to hit themselves, and it still takes hours to be strong enough to progress in each story level.
Oh, and there's permadeath because gently caress you, and the companions AI is also dumb as gently caress.

The design and story are also very bland, but compared to the rest of the game they are a minor problem.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trails generally scales xp pretty hard up and down so grinding isn't really an option anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

DS version it is! Thanks thread! Can't wait to play this lovely game! :dance:

I'm sure this thread would happily help you find good SRPGs you haven't played yet

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm sure this thread would happily help you find good SRPGs you haven't played yet

I remember a game called Rhapsody. Something about puppets and music? I think they remade it for the DS, because the PSX-version is apparently hard to get. It's easy and charming.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

they should play hoshigami its one of my favorite SRPGs

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Libluini posted:

I remember a game called Rhapsody. Something about puppets and music? I think they remade it for the DS, because the PSX-version is apparently hard to get. It's easy and charming.

Rhapsody is an SRPG only in the sense that it has a grid-based battle system, and only in the PS1 version. The DS is straight turn-based. Definitely easy and charming, though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

Hilariously, I own a game store and someone just came in and sold me a JP copy of Hoshigami. I'm going to wait to play the English version but I thought it was funny that I just mentioned the game and it showed up out of nowhere.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

IIRC, Hoshigami is the game where if you don't answer every question/dialogue choice in the game correctly, the game's villainous mastermind apparently gives up in the background without ever actually revealing themselves or doing anything, and the game just sort of skips over the last chapter straight into the endings with absolutely no acknowledgement they existed.

I could be misremembering what I've been told, it's not like I ever figured out how to get anywhere in the game myself.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nick Buntline posted:

IIRC, Hoshigami is the game where if you don't answer every question/dialogue choice in the game correctly, the game's villainous mastermind apparently gives up in the background without ever actually revealing themselves or doing anything, and the game just sort of skips over the last chapter straight into the endings with absolutely no acknowledgement they existed.

I could be misremembering what I've been told, it's not like I ever figured out how to get anywhere in the game myself.

see this is one of those things that would make me wanna play it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yeah, is that a con or a pro?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

the game is horribly unbalanced. the difficulty ramps so quickly eventually its only possible to win by gaming the system as hard as possible in boring ways

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nick Buntline posted:

That's hilarious. Even more excited to bash my head against this piece of poo poo now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, is that a con or a pro?

It's a con, because to experience that means playing through game and based on this and past conversations it's like the Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 hack in terms of bullshit difficulty.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Atelier shadow game is not a gacha, it's an actual console game: https://gematsu.com/2018/06/nelke-and-the-legendary-alchemists-atelier-of-a-new-land-first-details-screenshots

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

KariOhki posted:

Definitely easy and charming, though.

:toot: And when we get sunburned we put on lotion! (Lotion!) :toot:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atelier Online is moving into closed beta in Japan

https://twitter.com/ao_forest/status/1008595991493206016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Barrel!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Finished Cold Steel yesterday - the game certainly picks up in the final chapter, it definitely does give the feeling, as someone said, that the game was split in two. Some good plot stuff happening right at the end, though it's got some weird pacing - you finish the 'final' boss (who was annoying as poo poo. I only really won because for some reason it suddenly got delayed to the point where my team could all go a dozen times in a row), expect a denouement, and then the plot...keeps going, nothing really happens for a while, then suddenly a whole bunch of stuff happens and then smash cut to credits sorta. Still, much more interesting than a lot of the non-plot that occurs in the rest of the game. Though when I realized that it was going to become Yet Another Mech Anime I was rolling my eyes pretty hard - though how much of that is going to show up in the sequel has yet to be seen I guess.

Also the fact that some of the best equipment in the game requires you to get to the final dungeon, with all your party members pumped about saving the day, then...you have to immediately leave and walk around talking to a bunch of people. Just bizarre.

Still, overall a fine package. I'll probably play the second game after taking a bit of a break from it, depending if I want to do any trophy hunting in the first game (I'm a broken person, I know, I know.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I loved cold steel 1 but yeah that final chapter is very weirdly paced and 2 feels a lot messier so far. Still enjoying it but it's not making me want to do every side quest and spend hours talking to NPCs like the school life sections of 1 did.

really my main problem with 2 so far is it's feeling like a repeat of Sky SC whereas CS1 felt different from the Sky games in a good way.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 18, 2018